Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

greatn posted:

Yeah so was Godzilla 98.

Here's a different trailer focusing on Godzilla then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya38wwuoWxY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

greatn posted:

Really? All I got is shots of various actors looking scared or forlorn, the military parachuting in with characters the film looks to be centered on taking vaguely about courage and resolve.

It's a teaser, they don't want to show a clear, light of day shot of Godzilla yet, they'd rather show "Hey look we got Bryan Cranston so this is going to be good"

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Gatts posted:

While the monster poo poo is cool, the meat is in how humanity survives and deals with the force of unstoppable nature and how it affects the environment. I'm sure there'll be cool poo poo in there too, maybe Godzilla can whack a plane into orbit or fight a Eva or something.

I would do some pretty terrible things to get a Pacific Rim/Godzilla crossover movie made, and then I would be able to just die happy right there in the theater.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I would do some pretty terrible things to get a Pacific Rim/Godzilla crossover movie made, and then I would be able to just die happy right there in the theater.

Pacific Rim 2: Godzilla and the Beasts of Armageddon (Godzilla and Robots team up to take out Monsters from Space and Time and Dimensions...via rock and roll off)

Let me see if I can...turn the nerd up a notch.

Pacific Rim 3: Evalution (Set in the future with a Godzilla-Jaeger hybrid)

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Gatts posted:

Godzilla-Jaeger hybrid

so, Mecha-Godzilla?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
But who will be a friend to the children in these movies?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

so, Mecha-Godzilla?

No. SuperMechagodzilla. This is a step beyond. As Apocalypse is to mutant, as mutant is to man type poo poo, maaaan.

bobkatt013 posted:

But who will be a friend to the children in these movies?

The pilot is Bill Nye.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Gatts posted:

No. SuperMechagodzilla. This is a step beyond. As Apocalypse is to mutant, as mutant is to man type poo poo, maaaan.

So it'd just be a whole movie of giant monsters quoting Zizek?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Hakkesshu posted:

So it'd just be a whole movie of giant monsters quoting Zizek?

Smoking, drinking, sitting at a table, playing cards, shooting the poo poo about life, women, and Zizek, culminating in a rock off to save the Earth from demolition.

Speaking of which, Supermechagodzilla had a nice post about how Ang Lee's Hulk showed that for America, that is our Godzilla and our own monster movie. I'm going to try to dig up the post but it was pretty cool to think of it that way.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Gatts posted:

Smoking, drinking, sitting at a table, playing cards, shooting the poo poo about life, women, and Zizek, culminating in a rock off to save the Earth from demolition.

Speaking of which, Supermechagodzilla had a nice post about how Ang Lee's Hulk showed that for America, that is our Godzilla and our own monster movie. I'm going to try to dig up the post but it was pretty cool to think of it that way.

After watching The Incredible Hulk the other day I had about the same thing to say. Compared to later Marvel movies, the whole thing was definitely handled as a Godzilla-style monster movie. It kind of just made me want another Hulk movie more, though, in a proper superhero style.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
All I really want from a new Godzilla movie is Godzilla as an unstoppable force of nature, a living castigation not for man's technology but for the use of it. All our efforts to attack this beast, to defend our homes, they are nothing but rain upon its skin.

And then two tiny Japanese women show up and BOOM here's Mothra to save the day! Mothra, protector of humanity! Mothra, kind of like a big insect Jesus! Mothra!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A really stupid thing from Ang Lee's Hulk is the whole part where they try and do a pseudo-scientific explanation for the Hulk transformation. Incredible Hulk/Avengers just says "it happens."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

All I really want from a new Godzilla movie is Godzilla as an unstoppable force of nature, a living castigation not for man's technology but for the use of it. All our efforts to attack this beast, to defend our homes, they are nothing but rain upon its skin.

And then two tiny Japanese women show up and BOOM here's Mothra to save the day! Mothra, protector of humanity! Mothra, kind of like a big insect Jesus! Mothra!

Ultraman or GTFO. :colbert:

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

If there is a just and caring god and this movie is successful enough for a sequel, what monster would be introduced first? I wouldn't imagine they'd go with King Ghidorah or Mechagodzilla first, so my guess would be Rodan.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

NienNunb posted:

If there is a just and caring god and this movie is successful enough for a sequel, what monster would be introduced first? I wouldn't imagine they'd go with King Ghidorah or Mechagodzilla first, so my guess would be Rodan.

Mr. Maltose posted:

It would only make sense!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NienNunb posted:

They'll be tossing in other monsters in this first movie. Check the 40 second mark in this trailer, there's some multi-limbed monster lying defeated in the rubble.

Waterhaul posted:

Here's a different trailer focusing on Godzilla then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya38wwuoWxY

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Also there was a report from footage shown at Comic-Con a while back that included a scene where one of the classic Godzilla bad guys (one that flies, I don't really know a lot about Godzilla) terrorizes an airport and then Godzilla steps into frame to tussle.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dan Didio posted:

Also there was a report from footage shown at Comic-Con a while back that included a scene where one of the classic Godzilla bad guys (one that flies, I don't really know a lot about Godzilla) terrorizes an airport and then Godzilla steps into frame to tussle.
Mothra?

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
Was it Rodan?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I hope it's Bryan Cranston in a MechaGodzilla suit

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Opopanax posted:

I hope it's Bryan Cranston in a MechaGodzilla suit
I would not be opposed to Cranston playing Jet Jaguar.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

NienNunb posted:

I'd guess Mothra, just because Mothra's pretty recognizable and iconic. Of course, that's based purely on my personal experience of people knowing Mothra better than any other monster.

But I seriously wouldn't rule out a potential sequel using Mechagodzilla first. I mean, it's Mechagodzilla. That's classic, and even if anybody watching has never even seen a Godzilla movie, Mechagodzilla is just so crazy a concept it would for sure rope in moviegoers.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

TwoPair posted:

But I seriously wouldn't rule out a potential sequel using Mechagodzilla first. I mean, it's Mechagodzilla. That's classic, and even if anybody watching has never even seen a Godzilla movie, Mechagodzilla is just so crazy a concept it would for sure rope in moviegoers.

That would be... Super.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

cptn_dr posted:

That would be... Super.

Don't do it.

"It's you, you're Mechagodzilla" - Zizek

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I just watched the directors first film Monsters.. holy crap. I am now super stoked for the new Godzilla, seriously that guy is a crazy great director. If you haven't seen it or you need your faith renewed watch his first film.

They couldn't have picked a better person to direct, he just gets it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sony has announced that they are planning not only a Venom movie, but also one for the Sinister Six. They have hired Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, Jeff Pinkner, Ed Solomon, and Drew Goddard to work on these movies, with Kurtzman possibly directing Venom and Goddard directing Sinister Six.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I wonder if this in reaction to Webb saying that neither he or Garfield are signed on for Spider-Man 4 which also has a release date.

Also c'mon Superior Foes film.

And I'm reiterating my earlier statement that we're reaching saturation point.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 13, 2013

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah this is getting seriously loving dumb.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

Only in our dreams can something so wonderful exist.

Also yeah, saturation point is pretty much here if we're getting a Sinister Six movie and a Spider-Man 4 before there's even a Spidey signed on, while DC crams every last character into Bats v Supes.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I can't wait for the Rocket Racer movie.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Waterhaul posted:

I wonder if this in reaction to Webb saying that neither he or Garfield are signed on for Spider-Man 4 which also has a release date.

Wait, they made the same mistake with the exact same franchise two times in a row, both times involving venom?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I'm so down for a Sinister Six movie. A villain team film isn't something anyone's done yet, and if it's treated right it could be really interesting and fun.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

greatn posted:

Wait, they made the same mistake with the exact same franchise two times in a row, both times involving venom?

This sounds like the opposite. Raimi never planned for Venom to be part of Spider-Man 3. This time it looks like they are planning ahead across two or more movies.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Waterhaul posted:

I reckon it'll last a bit longer if they (studios) stop feeling like they need to do Origin Story Movie for every cape who shows up. Gotta broaden the narrative scope a bit.

I enjoyed Man of Steel in a lot of ways but
c'mon
it's Superman
you do not need to do an Origin Story movie about gatdam Superman
everyone knows who Superman is and flying and Krypton and etc. etc.

Also I wonder if interspersing things like Guardians that a general audience might not register as "Super-hero stuff from comic books" will help.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

PupsOfWar posted:

you do not need to do an Origin Story movie about gatdam Superman

You do if you want to change who he is completely and take a steaming dump on all he once represented.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

SirDan3k posted:

You do if you want to change who he is completely and take a steaming dump on all he once represented.

But Bryan Singer did that and he didn't have an origin story in his movie?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Nolan did it quite well by just working it into the narrative of Begins with flashbacks.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

greatn posted:

Touché. You win this round anonymous internet person, you win this round.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

greatn posted:

I forgot Singer did Superman Returns but agreed with this statement anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

PupsOfWar posted:

I reckon it'll last a bit longer if they (studios) stop feeling like they need to do Origin Story Movie for every cape who shows up. Gotta broaden the narrative scope a bit.

I would say that the current movement is narrowing the scope more than origin films. Origin films, while can be repetitive, at least set up an interesting world and can deal with comic book characters in different genres and themes. They also allow escalation of themes in future films. Of course this depends on how strictly other companies follow the "Marvel method" though the new guy running the Fox stuff has straight up that they are just trying to do Marvel.

After the burnout will be interesting though since comic book films will either die off or audiences will get bored of the Marvel style films and eventually a studio will decide to buck the trend and make more experimental films.

• Locked thread