Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Every beta patch is version "annoyed goon".

Final release will be called "sperglord goon".

So, are there any weird new problems in the new patch that are instantly noticeable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrMelon
Oct 9, 2010

You can find me in the produce aisle of the hospital.
There is a version number - if you start the dedicated server, it tells you both the nickname and the build number.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
Have they changed shields to only block a portion of the damage or have they been hosed for the last few patches?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Sweet, forums poster Drakkar pastebin'd the new armor values:

code:
+      [0,      [0,     18,    50,    90,    150,   225,   300,   450,  675,  975,   1200,  2500,  10000]],
+      [15,     [0,     10,    30,    75,    130,   225,   300,   450,  675,  975,   1200,  2500,  10000]],
+      [30,     [0,     6,     16.9,  45,    90,    200,   300,   450,  675,  975,   1200,  2500,  10000]],
+      [55,     [0,     3,     10,    21.2,  55,    130,   270,   450,  675,  975,   1200,  2500,  10000]],
+      [90,     [0,     2,     7,     13,    25,    65,    150,   400,  675,  975,   1200,  2500,  10000]],
+      [130,    [0,     1,     4,     9,     16,    29.4,  80,    200,  600,  975,   1200,  2500,  10000]],
+      [180,    [0,     0,     2,     5,     12,    19,    34.4,  90,   400,  900,   1200,  2500,  10000]],
+      [240,    [0,     0,     0,     3,     9,     14,    24,    40,   110,  500,   1100,  2500,  10000]],
+      [320,    [0,     0,     0,     2,     6,     9,     18,    26,   46.2, 120,   700,   2450,  9000 ]],
+      [400,    [0,     0,     0,     0,     3,     6,     13,    20,   29,   53.75, 180,   1200,  2000 ]],
+      [500,    [0,     0,     0,     0,     1,     3,     8,     15,   22,   32,    62.5,  200,   1200 ]],
+      [1000,   [0,     0,     0,     0,     0,     0,     1,     4,    5,    9,     24,    80,    400  ]],
+      [4000,   [0,     0,     0,     0,     0,     0,     0,     1,    1,    4,     12,    20,    200  ]],
+      [10000,  [0,     0,     0,     0,     0,     0,     0,     0,    0,    1,     2,     4,     40   ]]
There's an actual progression for Tier 1 now! Can't wait to try this.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

No sane numbering scheme does, either. There's nothing wrong with v0.11.35 or w/e

Yeah, I mean, I'm sure they have an internal number, but it avoids the playerbase bitching about it. Remember Minecraft? Christ.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Currently the thing bothering me the most is that you don't spawn at 100% health you spawn at 100 health which means with the armor system you wind up spawning with incrementally less and less of your total HP and it takes longer and longer to sleep off the 'wounds'

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

something posted:

It's also not like saying X is a bad idea and isn't helping the game is say, making GBS threads on the entire game experience.

For the record I completely agree, hunger systems that are just do action X every 5 minutes or else die suck. Add in a small reward like hp regen, like someone else mentioned, or perhaps faster movement/mining while full vs slower when super hungry, would make it less annoying.

Yeah, I mean it's not like the whole hunger things is ruining the enjoyment I'm getting from the game as it stands right now. It's just something I don't particularly agree with and I don't think (or at least hope) I'm coming across as 'take this thing out or I'll hate you forever'.

Also, I agree and think I've already stated that if there was a natural health regen in the game, that it could be tied to hunger and I wouldn't have a problem it because it would actually have a use.

Combat Shotgun
Apr 28, 2007

Forget the hip surgery, get some rope!
Anyone try modding in sounds? (not instrument abc. files) Can you just dump in any ol' wav or does it have to be formatted a certain way? I tried replacing my pickaxe sound but it crashes when I swing it.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

TMMadman posted:

Also, I agree and think I've already stated that if there was a natural health regen in the game, that it could be tied to hunger and I wouldn't have a problem it because it would actually have a use.

This I like, I mean I'm losing large portions of my health every battle, if I could regenerate between fights it would be really helpful without completely making GBS threads on balance.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Motherfucker posted:

Currently the thing bothering me the most is that you don't spawn at 100% health you spawn at 100 health which means with the armor system you wind up spawning with incrementally less and less of your total HP and it takes longer and longer to sleep off the 'wounds'

Use bandages, they are much faster and trivial to make.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Sweet, forums poster Drakkar pastebin'd the new armor values:

code:
+      [0,      [0,     18,    50,    90,    150,   225,   300,   450,  675,  975,   1200,  2500,  10000]],
+      [15,     [0,     10,    30,    75,    130,   225,   300,   450,  675,  975,   1200,  2500,  10000]],
+      [30,     [0,     6,     16.9,  45,    90,    200,   300,   450,  675,  975,   1200,  2500,  10000]],
+      [55,     [0,     3,     10,    21.2,  55,    130,   270,   450,  675,  975,   1200,  2500,  10000]],
+      [90,     [0,     2,     7,     13,    25,    65,    150,   400,  675,  975,   1200,  2500,  10000]],
+      [130,    [0,     1,     4,     9,     16,    29.4,  80,    200,  600,  975,   1200,  2500,  10000]],
+      [180,    [0,     0,     2,     5,     12,    19,    34.4,  90,   400,  900,   1200,  2500,  10000]],
+      [240,    [0,     0,     0,     3,     9,     14,    24,    40,   110,  500,   1100,  2500,  10000]],
+      [320,    [0,     0,     0,     2,     6,     9,     18,    26,   46.2, 120,   700,   2450,  9000 ]],
+      [400,    [0,     0,     0,     0,     3,     6,     13,    20,   29,   53.75, 180,   1200,  2000 ]],
+      [500,    [0,     0,     0,     0,     1,     3,     8,     15,   22,   32,    62.5,  200,   1200 ]],
+      [1000,   [0,     0,     0,     0,     0,     0,     1,     4,    5,    9,     24,    80,    400  ]],
+      [4000,   [0,     0,     0,     0,     0,     0,     0,     1,    1,    4,     12,    20,    200  ]],
+      [10000,  [0,     0,     0,     0,     0,     0,     0,     0,    0,    1,     2,     4,     40   ]]
There's an actual progression for Tier 1 now! Can't wait to try this.

Which armor number is that, the averaged value on the inventory screen or the sum of all parts?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Rhjamiz posted:

Yeah, I mean, I'm sure they have an internal number, but it avoids the playerbase bitching about it. Remember Minecraft? Christ.

Wait was there a big deal about mc version numbers? I don't remember that.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Underwhelmed posted:

I do, it still sucks though.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Rails SDMM posted:

A page too late, but I thought I'd mention the dungeon editor I'm writing. The plan is to remove the hassle/tedium of manually editing the dungeon's colour map and JSON files. It'll make creating your own dungeons infinitely easier. Here's a WIP screenshot:

I should have a working test version out before the start of next week.

I just want to say that you are doing Holy Work here.

I imagine some of the coolest mods will be a big community collection of dozens or hundreds of new dungeons/random buildings.

I don't feel very creative about my own, in-game houses, but I'm definitely interested in giving this a go.

Red Harvest
Mar 13, 2007

Wait, it's Clint? Well shit.

Combat Shotgun posted:

Anyone try modding in sounds? (not instrument abc. files) Can you just dump in any ol' wav or does it have to be formatted a certain way? I tried replacing my pickaxe sound but it crashes when I swing it.

Everything I've seen in the asset files is .wav for sounds, so try it I guess!

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Underwhelmed posted:

Which armor number is that, the averaged value on the inventory screen or the sum of all parts?

The first number is your defence rating (the shield icon) from all your armor together (I think), the next set of numbers seem to be minimum or average damage amounts per tier. I posted the previous numbers a few pages ago, if you want to compare.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Rhjamiz posted:

I assumed they specifically avoid numbers to avoid getting trapped in a set path of beta progression. They have no arbitrary limit on patches.
This doesn't make sense to me. How would version numbers create an arbitrary limit on patches?

People use have been using version numbers for decades for very good reason.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

peepsalot posted:

Wait was there a big deal about mc version numbers? I don't remember that.

I remember a lot of bitching about when it would be "1.0" but I could be exaggerating it in my mind!

Inverness posted:

This doesn't make sense to me. How would version numbers create an arbitrary limit on patches?

People use have been using version numbers for decades for very good reason.

Not limited in reality, but limited in the mind of bitchy fans; no expectations on how close they are to done if there is no indication of it. Maybe I'm wrong!

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 12, 2013

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Interested in the game – the fact it's THAT similar to Terraria would be off-putting for me, but hey, Terraria for Mac. Can't complain. One question:
Terraria suffered massively from powercreep in that if you had slightly better equipment than your friend you'd be so overpowered you can defeat all bosses your friend's struggling with with a couple hits. This isn't that big of a deal when building, but it really sucked out the fun when starting a new game with a friend who then continued playing for 1-2 hours longer than I.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Rails SDMM posted:

A page too late, but I thought I'd mention the dungeon editor I'm writing. The plan is to remove the hassle/tedium of manually editing the dungeon's colour map and JSON files. It'll make creating your own dungeons infinitely easier. Here's a WIP screenshot:

I should have a working test version out before the start of next week.

This is fantastic to hear. Any plans to make it work with custom ships too since they use a similar blockmap technique?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Red Harvest posted:

Everything I've seen in the asset files is .wav for sounds, so try it I guess!
That's weird all the ones I saw were ogg, though I was only looking at instrument sounds

Red Harvest
Mar 13, 2007

Wait, it's Clint? Well shit.

peepsalot posted:

That's weird all the ones I saw were ogg, though I was only looking at instrument sounds

To be fair, I haven't really been looking for audio files when I'm scanning through the assets folder. I know the MM use a .wav for it's sound, for example.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

horriblePencilist posted:

Interested in the game – the fact it's THAT similar to Terraria would be off-putting for me, but hey, Terraria for Mac. Can't complain. One question:
Terraria suffered massively from powercreep in that if you had slightly better equipment than your friend you'd be so overpowered you can defeat all bosses your friend's struggling with with a couple hits. This isn't that big of a deal when building, but it really sucked out the fun when starting a new game with a friend who then continued playing for 1-2 hours longer than I.

The game worked like this a few patches ago, but they're experimenting with a lot of different damage models to (presumably) try and avoid that exact problem.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

horriblePencilist posted:

It's just as bad here.

e:
The game revolves around the concepts of armor and armor penetration. If you have 30 armor, level 30 enemies will do normal damage to you. If you have 30 arPen on your weapon, you will do good damage to a level 30.

It gets wiggity whack when you're off by even a few points: a level 32 weapon will one-shot a level 30, and a level 34 enemy will kill your armor level 30 character in one hit.

I played all the way to the max with some buds and most of game was played all-in, one shotting enemies before they could one shot me. It was fun except for the bullshit enemies that spawn with guns. It's almost pointless to even advance your armor at all, just get in and get the best weapons you can find.

This was pre-patch so we'll see if things have evened out.

Above Our Own fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 12, 2013

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

Krittick posted:

This is fantastic to hear. Any plans to make it work with custom ships too since they use a similar blockmap technique?

Yeah I was going to recommend he add ship support as well. I was considering doing something like this for ships, but I'm glad someone else is doing the work.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Rhjamiz posted:

Not limited in reality, but limited in the mind of bitchy fans; no expectations on how close they are to done if there is no indication of it. Maybe I'm wrong!
:wtc: People like that should be ignored. No need to create frustration for almost everyone else by not using version numbers.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
How do you craft the lantern backpack? I don't see it any of my crafting stations.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Is it just me, or do these updates seem gigantic! File size wise, I mean.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

I'm not sure if it's already planned, but they should really add custom names for alien species to the game, at least on single player. This guy keeps running towards me and mauling me horribly with his baby-pink claws. I'm dying to nickname him 'Chucklefuck'.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Leadthumb posted:

Yes, because starbound.exe is about 60 times as big as it needs to be.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Leadthumb posted:

The executable itself is a few hundred megabytes because they left a bunch of debugging stuff in it.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Is it possible to craft the techy monitors and devices like you get in Avian temples and Apex labs? I'd love to make a high-tech homebase.

Also, I found a moon that had an ungodly amount of diamonds, but a tiny amount of coal. I'm so glad there is a forest world in this system and that we can now make coal from wood because otherwise I'd probably be stuck (or have to spend hours strip mining to get enough fuel to leave the system)

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

PiCroft posted:

Is it possible to craft the techy monitors and devices like you get in Avian temples and Apex labs? I'd love to make a high-tech homebase.

Also, I found a moon that had an ungodly amount of diamonds, but a tiny amount of coal. I'm so glad there is a forest world in this system and that we can now make coal from wood because otherwise I'd probably be stuck (or have to spend hours strip mining to get enough fuel to leave the system)

You can't craft them but that's kinda the idea behind the 3d printer if you need more of certain tiles.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Fintilgin posted:

How do you craft the lantern backpack? I don't see it any of my crafting stations.

I want to know this too.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Rhjamiz posted:

As a software dev myself, version numbers have absolutely NOTHING to do with "how close it is to done" ever. In fact, normally, version "names" like Starbound uses signify a product with no intention of ever being "done", just improved. It's nothing but a semantic difference and playing the game for 15 minutes gives you a much clearer idea of how far it is along than trying to figure out what an arbitrary version number means to the devs.

Using names or numbers makes no difference, as they both only serve to differentiate new releases, not speculate on the future of the software

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Anyone tried modding the human mech?

I have made it so it does not cost energy to maintain, and increased the movement speed, jump time to make it a viable choice of movement (moves too slow and cannot jump over any decent slope in its default state).

Not sure how exactly does "power" scale its weapon, neither do I know if it is possible to give it bonus armor/health while up. Just feels a little silly to be taking full damage when in a mech.

Rails SDMM
Jan 15, 2008

Krittick posted:

Yep, once the core editing dungeons is in and working, ships will be next. I've spoken with bartwe and Armagon (the world programmer and the dungeon guy at Chucklefish) about the project, and one of the things they'd really like to see in the editor is the ability to load up a world file, then select an area - say, a structure that you've built in the game - and export that to dungeon format. It would easily extend itself to being a general world editor as well. We'll have to see what happens with that, though, as I'm waiting to hear back about the file specification before I can get started, and these things are a while away regardless.

edit: oh and you can follow my forum thread at http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/dungeon-editor.43779/ if you're interested, I post updates pretty regularly!

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

The lantern backpack requires 15 iron bars, 10 wood, 500 pixels and is done at the crafting table and is available when you reach Tier 2 according to the game's files.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Purple Prince posted:

I'm not sure if it's already planned, but they should really add custom names for alien species to the game, at least on single player. This guy keeps running towards me and mauling me horribly with his baby-pink claws. I'm dying to nickname him 'Chucklefuck'.

They should have random monster names but have it draw from a pool of pregen bits like the random player name generator works.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Combat Shotgun posted:

I modded in E1M1 and it sounds rad. According to this dudes video starbound really doesn't handle chords very well (insta crashing the game) but I added something which I thought had no chords but it still crashed so :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erHRalq6vbw

There's probably an easier way to add in .abc files but there might be obscure pieces of music you can't find anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
2nd boss is kinda anticlimactic compared to the UFO. Did mine glitch or is he just really that easy? I made a 30 second flat platform, summoned him, then ran backwards back and forth shooting him while he followed me doing nothing. He never even attacked

• Locked thread