Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I'm in the Gamma sector with a full Gold-Racial armor and appropriate weapons and the balance seems fine now. Birds aren't hyper aggressive anymore, monsters die reasonably fast. All that's missing is coal, but charcoal should fix that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

2 Track EP posted:

Has anyone messed around with the idea of adding new dungeons through modding? I'm looking in to it but I struggle a little bit with spacial recognition and it's still a little beyond me, but seems simple enough. Let's look at the Sci Fi Pyramid dungeon that contains a Matter Block Generator.

This dungeon is found in Starbound\assets\dungeons\scifidungeon

I think i just found this.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Reiley posted:

They should have random monster names but have it draw from a pool of pregen bits like the random player name generator works.

This is probably what will happen. I was just thinking it would be cool to collect information about worlds and monsters in the Codex and be able to name monsters however you wanted - perhaps also nickname planets and plants. Kind of like the Metroid Prime games.

Also I found a cool planet in Alpha sector. Alpha HR 6817 Dra Majoris IV, -31919367 -33393493. It's a desert planet with no real special features - but if you run to the right you find a whole lot of ore, mostly iron but a bit of gold, and a high-tech chest.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I'm in the Gamma sector with a full Gold-Racial armor and appropriate weapons and the balance seems fine now. Birds aren't hyper aggressive anymore, monsters die reasonably fast. All that's missing is coal, but charcoal should fix that.

Hmm, coal should be fixed now as long as you're visiting new planets. Starting a new character completely might work better though.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

ShadowMar posted:

The lantern backpack requires 15 iron bars, 10 wood, 500 pixels and is done at the crafting table and is available when you reach Tier 2 according to the game's files.

Huh. I've got that and I'm in Tier 2, but I can't craft it.

I can craft a lantern but no sign of a lantern backpack.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Huh. I've got that and I'm in Tier 2, but I can't craft it.

I can craft a lantern but no sign of a lantern backpack.

Try remaking the MK2 starmap and using it again.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

MrTheDevious posted:

2nd boss is kinda anticlimactic compared to the UFO. Did mine glitch or is he just really that easy? I made a 30 second flat platform, summoned him, then ran backwards back and forth shooting him while he followed me doing nothing. He never even attacked

Bumping this cause it ended up at the end of last page and I'm really curious whether he's supposed to be that easy or if my game glitched

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

MrTheDevious posted:

2nd boss is kinda anticlimactic compared to the UFO. Did mine glitch or is he just really that easy? I made a 30 second flat platform, summoned him, then ran backwards back and forth shooting him while he followed me doing nothing. He never even attacked

He does have attacks. Maybe the latest patch broke him but he has a couple melee attacks and a fire breath-like attack.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Gotta go fast.

(I should not be left unsupervised with any kind of character creation system.)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Pylons posted:

Try remaking the MK2 starmap and using it again.

Yeah, that did it. "Lantern on a stick"

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
I can make Durasteel Bars but I can't seem to make Durasteel armor. Is it bugged or what?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
The whole food thing doesn't bother me in the least. Am I the only person growing food on my ship while I'm down on a planet destroying it's population and raping it of all its natural resources like a plague of locusts? When I get hungry I just eat 3 or 4 fruit and I'm back in the fight. Every trip back to the ship I harvest my ripe fruit to restock and replant the seeds. I also plant wheat to turn in to bread. And if I get a monster meat I just make a hamburger which is super badass food.

Also I am so glad the flying enemies got retuned. My first planet after the wipe had ducks that shot super bubbles that would one shot me and bats that poo poo blood. There was nothing I could do to survive.

Givin fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 12, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ShadowMar posted:

The lantern backpack requires 15 iron bars, 10 wood, 500 pixels and is done at the crafting table and is available when you reach Tier 2 according to the game's files.

You have to make and use another t2 chip if you didn't restart.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Umberger posted:

He does have attacks. Maybe the latest patch broke him but he has a couple melee attacks and a fire breath-like attack.

Thanks! Curious to hear if other people run into the same thing. Right before he died, I just stood there to see if he'd do something and he just ran back and forth doing nothing until I popped him in his dumb face. Assuming it's the new patch now

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Mystery Prize posted:

I can make Durasteel Bars but I can't seem to make Durasteel armor. Is it bugged or what?

There is no durasteel armor, currently.

Speaking of backpacks, has anyone figured out/parsed what the scroll backpack does?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I can't even reliably hit this stupid dragon without getting smacked around.

Combat Shotgun
Apr 28, 2007

Forget the hip surgery, get some rope!

Red Harvest posted:

Everything I've seen in the asset files is .wav for sounds, so try it I guess!

Yeah I did that but it crashes.. I guess I need to play around with the file itself.

I'm also annoyed because I found this sweet space marine armor in the assets I'm trying to get into the game. I managed to get the helmet but the pants and chest show up as "generic object" and I'm not sure why.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Backpack lantern is pretty good. Get's rid of some of the torch monotony. Hope there's a brighter version we can craft later, it's a little dim.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Givin posted:

The whole food thing doesn't bother me in the least. Am I the only person growing food on my ship while I'm down on a planet destroying it's population and raping it of all its natural resources like a plague of locusts? When I get hungry I just eat 3 or 4 fruit and I'm back in the fight. Every trip back to the ship I harvest my ripe fruit to restock and replant the seeds. I also plant wheat to turn in to bread. And if I get a monster meat I just make a hamburger which is super badass food.

Also I am so glad the flying enemies got retuned. My first planet after the wipe had ducks that shot super bubbles that would one shot me and bats that poo poo blood. There was nothing I could do to survive.

I never thought of growing food on the ship :doh:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
You have to re-build the MK2 map to unlock the Lantern Stick backpack.

Did the bed regen change at all?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Oh sweet drills do the same blocks as pickaxes now, now there's no reason to use a pick over a drill of equal level

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Nice to see shields are still completely worthless.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

I can't even reliably hit this stupid dragon without getting smacked around.

Is anyone beating the dragon without cheesing the hell out of it? I have the matter blocks armor, which is a tier above titanium and if the dragon gets a lucky hit in I'm instakilled. I burned all of my phoenix emblems and other projectiles on it only to be destroyed in a single flame burst from full health, where the fireballs kept hitting me, ignoring any sort of invulnerability on hit.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

Oh sweet drills do the same blocks as pickaxes now, now there's no reason to use a pick over a drill of equal level

How do I get in on this drilling business exactly?

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

DelphiAegis posted:

There is no durasteel armor, currently.

So does this mean the game basically ends once you beat the Tier 3 boss for now? There's nothing new to unlock.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Infidel Castro posted:

Nice to see shields are still completely worthless.

Are you using a pre-patch shield or a newly generated one? If it's a new one that's disappointing to hear.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Alrighty. I think I'm at the point where I can call this basically done, not that I particularly expect anyone to care, since you all, quite reasonably, want to build your own ships. Now I need to actually create a race for it.

Priorities!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Is it worth upgrading to different types of tools? The stats between the stone/silver pickaxe looked identical when I compared them, but I'm hoping there's an improvement in speed or the hitbox or something?

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

They should probably let you use all the techs at once. Having to equip the tech you want to use from your inventory is a bit silly.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

How do I get in on this drilling business exactly?

Higher tech levels let you unlock drills for building which are like more resource hungry pickaxes which function better than their equivalent pick.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
Leaving my ore and coal rich plant behind to make a new plant, since the newest patch seems to be an improvement on some stuff that annoyed me! Goodbye tons of crap.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Mystery Prize posted:

So does this mean the game basically ends once you beat the Tier 3 boss for now? There's nothing new to unlock.

There's armour for all the things after durasteel.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Maybe it's on purpose, but has anyone else noticed the 'random building' code is sort of... clumpy? Like if I encounter the frog merchant underground on a planet, and go dig somewhere else on the same planet, chance are I'll... find another frog merchant instead of something completely different.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Fintilgin posted:

Maybe it's on purpose, but has anyone else noticed the 'random building' code is sort of... clumpy? Like if I encounter the frog merchant underground on a planet, and go dig somewhere else on the same planet, chance are I'll... find another frog merchant instead of something completely different.

Normally if you hit one Apex/Prison, there's like 4+ more right after it, too. Somebody posted coords previously to a planet that had something like 11 Apex facilities back to back :v:

vvv They were in and similarly awful

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 12, 2013

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Not sure if they were in last patch but they are here now at least. Mechs are a thing and of course they suck. Maybe I have to recraft my armor for more regen.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Mechs were in with the first release and they sucked then, also :v:

And nothing can really be done to get enough regen/energy to make it worth it.

Targeted Blink sadly takes the entire bar. :(

E: Gravity Neutralizer still lasts a good while if you are just looking for general ease of movement techs.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Is there a reason why every planet I can find is threat level 1?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Mystery Prize posted:

Not exactly. To quote one of my earlier posts: once you get to Sector X you get Aegisalt, and the endgame chain from there is already built out (Aegisalt->Ferozium->Cerulium->Violium->Rubium->Impervium) with weapons and armor for each stage. The problem is that last patch there was A->B->G->X but now there is A->B->G->D->X. Only they forgot to add equipment/progression for Delta. So you just have to use Gamma-level equipment and cheese the boss.

Also endgame still isn't tuned well at all so there isn't much point in getting there.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Rynoto posted:

Mechs were in with the first release and they sucked then, also :v:

And nothing can really be done to get enough regen/energy to make it worth it.

Targeted Blink sadly takes the entire bar. :(

Ah, I was able to find blink on first release but only now just got a mech.

Targeted Blink was silly though when you could just blink into space with no trouble. Glad they nerfed it but maybe they went to far with it eating a full bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
New release has started chugging pretty severely. I'll try to narrow down what makes it flip out.

• Locked thread