Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

flyboi posted:

Your home internet may suck but

Are people playing MMOs on not home internet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

In Japan, absolutely; game centers are very much a thing there (or were as of a few years ago). They were even designed around quasi-living in them, you could pay extra to get a futon, food and take a shower and stuff like that in some of them.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

There's a fair number of people in the US that use things like Comcast business class for home internet because it is a lot faster and normally lacks the data usage caps that many ISPs have for home internet now (or it has much higher caps).

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Sure but in the US we have quite a few options. For example in SD my ISP could choose to get a drop from the local fiber provider or they could alternatively buy up dark fiber and drop into a network in Iowa. My isp chose to do their own drop into XO so my traffic is going up to Minneapolis before it actually heads out to the internet. There's also a provider SDN which an ISP can purchase a drop into which trunks out to a plethora of places and ends up trunking out to the internet http://www.sdncommunications.com/home/network-map/

Each ISP in the US has these options and there is dark fiber all over the country. Just because 1 or 2 chose to setup a lovely network does not discount the options available nation-wide and Japan does not have these options, they can't even sustain with what they currently have.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

YourAverageJoe posted:

People want them to stop making the Wii U and not make anything like the Wii U. People are happy with the 3DS as it is and would probably buy a successor in 5+ years. Why is this so hard to understand?

I don't know, ask those people who come into the thread saying that Nintendo should make iPhone games?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Re: people not paying $5 for a mobile game, presumably someone's buying all those $15 Final Fantasy/Chrono Trigger ports I keep seeing in the Android store. I'd have been happy to pick up FFV if it were a third that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Patter Song posted:

Presumably someone's buying all those $15 Final Fantasy/Chrono Trigger ports I keep seeing in the Android store. I'd have been happy to pick up FFV if it were a third that.

Its me. I'm that guy.

Nobody else seems to be so its not the model to adopt.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I doubt the $15 Square ports have to sell a lot to make money though. The ones that are re-release of older games are often verily shoddily ported or are just straight re-releases of older cell phone ports circa 2005 or so that had already been out in Japan for some time. They don't need Angry Bird levels of popularity to make $$$ of them.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, it actually does matter. Microsoft did not publish those games and the bulk of them were by Rare who was formerly working with Nintendo and who has a lot of weird contract things in place. Microsoft was not publishing games on the GBA. They were licensing their IPs out to someone who was. This is different and not at all relevant to Nintendo publishing on Sony systems while maintaining their own dedicated handheld.

Their IPs AND their studio. Fine, Nintendo's publishing arm won't publish it. So let Nintendo's internal studios make the games and have someone else publish it. Whats the problem here?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Nintendo just really hasn't delivered the games for three generations of consoles now. Gamecube, Wii, and Wii-U were all pretty lacking in quality first party titles. Their release schedules were also barren. And when the rare good quality rock solid game came out they usually marred it with some bullshit perpetual.

In fact Nintendo's release schedules are so barren that the people who only play the single console will put anything on a pedestal that would have been discounted to the bargain bin or sold at a discount on Steam if it was sold on another platform.

This was especially true with many of the Gamecube exclusives. You maybe have less than a dozen worthwhile exclusive RPGs on the system, in comparison the good RPGs on the PS2 you can maybe whittle down to 12 but you're also picking from a genre that has 80+ or so games. Lets also not forget that Donkey Konga series paled in comparison to Donkey Kong Country 1,2, and 3 and Donkey Kong 64. Not only that you needed a controller that was the size of the gamecube to play the three games.

The Wii was in this weird situation where it fizzled out real quickly, stayed dead for awhile and then towards the end started to release rock solid games with no bullshit in a timely fashion before being killed by the Wii-U. They also should have given the option between classic controls and wii-mote poo poo because even 2 years out in the system's life they lost their appeal. Sony was even smart enough to drop the dualshock motions teering for a good portion of their games. I will say this though, the Wii had a large selection of Railshooters and they're part of the reason I amassed 100 or so games for the system.

Mind you the Playstaion 4 is Sony's fourth generation console, Nintendo's Fourth system was the Cube.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
How can you call the release schedule barren when you wanted at least 100 games for the system. That's roughly 16-17 games a year.

I guess it all depends on how much you game. People say the Wii U has no games, but I have a backlog of Wii U games believe it not that I haven't had time for yet.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Astro7x posted:

How can you call the release schedule barren when you wanted at least 100 games for the system. That's roughly 16-17 games a year.

I guess it all depends on how much you game. People say the Wii U has no games, but I have a backlog of Wii U games believe it not that I haven't had time for yet.

A good number I just picked up because they were $1. I got Resident evil 4 for the Wii that way, Target Terror, The Conduit, House of the Dead 2&3, Sin Star Punishment, the Sega Railshooters.

These were not high end games in the least and were more novelties and in some cases freebees.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

Their IPs AND their studio. Fine, Nintendo's publishing arm won't publish it. So let Nintendo's internal studios make the games and have someone else publish it. Whats the problem here?

Because "Nintendo starts leasing their IPs out to other studios" is something they want to avoid and "Nintendo stops publishing their own games" would not be an ideal outcome for them in any circumstancs at all. That's even ignoring that the X-Box/Gamecube thing still is different from the Vita/PS4 and 3DS thing.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ImpAtom posted:

Because "Nintendo starts leasing their IPs out to other studios" is something they want to avoid and "Nintendo stops publishing their own games" would not be an ideal outcome for them in any circumstancs at all. That's even ignoring that the X-Box/Gamecube thing still is different from the Vita/PS4 and 3DS thing.

Hey c'mon that doesn't happen anymore when they lease their IPs out to fellow Japanese companies..

I mean besides the last two Yoshi games and the upcoming one. Honestly Artoon/Arzest must have some kinda dirt on Nintendo that lets them keep getting these the Yoshi license over even fuckin' Dimps or Tose.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Astro7x posted:

I just picked up a Wii-U about two weeks ago and this has been my feelings so far. I picked up Mario 3D Land and Monster Hunter Tri, and then Mario+Luigi Bros came with it. Not to mention I didn't play any Wii games except Mario Kart so I have an entire generation of games left to play as well. Never going to get completely caught up before new games I want come out for it.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The Wii U launch had a ton of games but no killer app in the first six months. It took a year for that killer app to release.

I feel like this was a really good post to sum up the situation. I really, really like my Wii U so far, and am glad that Nintendo has finally taken a trip to the HD generation.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I need ten zillion games to come out a month so I can post about my twelve year old backlog please

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

whaley posted:

I need ten zillion games to come out a month so I can post about my twelve year old backlog please
The medical technical term for this is "Steam's Disease."

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

ImpAtom posted:

And yes, Diddy Kong Racing DS actually is an artifact of the acquisition! That is also why Donkey Kong Country is no longer on the eShop despite it being a Nintendo IP.

Are you saying that DKC's removal was the result of expiring contracts from 10 years earlier? Either way, the reason was never revealed so no one can claim to know why that happened.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Nintendo 100% owns the entire Donkey Kong franchise, this question came up before. I can't imagine its removal having anything to do with Microsoft, unless they took issue with the Rare logo on the title screen, as that is theirs, but that seems pretty stupid. Nintendo could remake the whole thing Mario Allstars style and there's not much anyone can do about it.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 12, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I mean besides the last two Yoshi games and the upcoming one. Honestly Artoon/Arzest must have some kinda dirt on Nintendo that lets them keep getting these the Yoshi license over even fuckin' Dimps or Tose.

God, now there's a series that dropped off a cliff. Yoshi started in one of the best 2D platformers of all time, followed by a game aimed at children (not my cup of tea, but still well regarded). Then Artoon shat out games like Yoshi's Universal Gravitation (they still called it that in Europe), Yoshi's Touch and Go (a £30 tech demo), Yoshi's Island DS (fails to match the original in art, music, or length), and now a horrible 2.5D attempt to capture Yoshi's Island's magic again.

Nintendo outsourced the gameplay programming of Other M to Team Ninja, and I'm sure they would have made a fun Metroid game with really fun combat if it wasn't for a certain someone.

Have there been any series that have been improved when outsourced to a Western developer? Some people liked DmC, but the only thing that is an improvement is how your weapon flashes to make delay combos easier. Pretty much everything else is worse. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is a mindless button masher that heavily borrows elements from games like God of War and Shadow of the Colossus.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

That loving Sned posted:

Have there been any series that have been improved when outsourced to a Western developer? Some people liked DmC, but the only thing that is an improvement is how your weapon flashes to make delay combos easier. Pretty much everything else is worse. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is a mindless button masher that heavily borrows elements from games like God of War and Shadow of the Colossus.

Retro has worked on Metroid Prime, Mario Kart 7 and Donkey Kong Country Returns. I honestly think Donkey Kong Country Returns is better than the original. The SNES games haven't aged the greatest. But yeah, the point was Retro is an American studio, and they're quite good at reviving series.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

That loving Sned posted:

Have there been any series that have been improved when outsourced to a Western developer?

Metroid Prime is generally considered to be very good and a highpoint in the series, isn't it?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Once again, you haven't given a reason why "Nintendo stops publishing their own games" is so very terrible.

And the only way there is a significant difference between the two situations is if Nintendo cared less about the Gamecube than Sony do about the Vita.

That loving Sned posted:

Dead Rising.

:colbert:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

whaley posted:

This guy saved $2000 by buying $250 worth of steam sale games this year! Nevermind the fact that he would have to game for 7 hours a day to beat them all, because gently caress.... GAMES!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I would be okay with Nintendo sending out some of their smaller stuff to other studios if the trust level is there. I mean Namco is already doing Smash Bros which is a huge title. But I was thinking something like giving Wario Land to WayForward or F-Zero to Shin'en.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Astro7x posted:

This guy saved $2000 by buying $250 worth of steam sale games this year! Nevermind the fact that he would have to game for 7 hours a day to beat them all, because gently caress.... GAMES!
Those are some amazing deals on 4-16 year old games

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

That loving Sned posted:

Metroid Prime, Bionic Commando, I'm going to disagree with you and say that Lords of Shadow was the best 3D CV we have gotten. Those are the main ones I can think of.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

poo poo, the newest Luigi's Mansion was outsourced and people raved about it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon was alright as a straight play through. The mission style was really great for the handheld platform. But if you try to even attempt 100%ing that game though it's the worst. It would be one thing to have to search through each mansion once by inspecting every item, but to have to inspect the entire mansion several times for each chapter is just overkill. I 100% cleared the first mansion and decided the bonus chapters were simply not worth doing something so mind numbingly dull.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I would be okay with Nintendo sending out some of their smaller stuff to other studios if the trust level is there. I mean Namco is already doing Smash Bros which is a huge title. But I was thinking something like giving Wario Land to WayForward or F-Zero to Shin'en.

I feel like the ExciteTrucks/ExciteBots control scheme would work pretty great for an F-Zero game with some slight changes. They've trusted Monster Games with ExciteBike World Rally, Pilotwings Resort and DKC Returns 3D which is promising.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Quest For Glory II posted:

They do this all the time. Warioland Shake It was outsourced to good feel and F Zero GX was outsourced to Amusement Vision.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Retro has worked on Metroid Prime, Mario Kart 7 and Donkey Kong Country Returns. I honestly think Donkey Kong Country Returns is better than the original. The SNES games haven't aged the greatest. But yeah, the point was Retro is an American studio, and they're quite good at reviving series.

:doh: For some reason, I thought that Metroid Prime 'didn't count' since Retro is a second party studio. On the SNES, Donkey Kong Country was made by the British developer RARE, and Star Fox was also made by a British team called Argonaut.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

They do this all the time. Warioland Shake It was outsourced to good feel and F Zero GX was outsourced to Amusement Vision.

Amusement Vision was incredible. They also made the first two Super Monkey Ball games, and used the same engine for F-ZERO GX. They're the type of Japanese studio that make incredibly polished, technical, and challenging games, similar to Treasure and Platinum. I'd love to see a new entry designed by those guys, without Miyamoto trying to shove in a few gimmicks.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Papercut posted:

The gist of the first article is that Nintendo has been surviving on the strength of its software offerings for arguably 3 generations now, in spite of and not because of its hardware, and so they should just focus on what they're good at.

But thats bullshit, the Wii sold largely based on its hardware, with the software only being an insurance that "yes this great hardware will also have games that work with it."

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Cliff Racer posted:

But thats bullshit, the Wii sold largely based on its hardware, with the software only being an insurance that "yes this great hardware will also have games that work with it."

The Wii was a fluke. Don't sit there and pretend the Wii was an amazing piece of hardware.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

The Wii was a fluke. Don't sit there and pretend the Wii was an amazing piece of hardware.

Hey, it sold well. A console's failure/succes isn't based on the opinions of 'gamers'.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TaurusOxford posted:

Don't sit there and pretend that the Wii sold well "in spite of and not because of its hardware" because that is a giant pile of bullshit and everyone knows it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
There is no single reason the Wii sold well. It was a perfect storm of newness, word of mouth, and curiosity from non-standard demographics.

I don't think they're ever going to recapture the magic. Lightning in a bottle and all that.

RStar
Aug 18, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

The Wii sold based on a very kid friendly gimmick that soccer moms ate up, and a bunch of people who thought bowling looked fun.

It was on TV shows and all over the place.

Then we all bought the system and found out it got old. Fast.

People aren't going to be fooled twice which is why the WiiU is selling so terribly.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Nintendo is really good at making hardware with gimmicks that get old fast. The Wii U tablet, Wii motion controls and 3DS 3D. I dunno about the dual screens for the DS. Was that useful or dumb?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Nintendo is really good at making hardware with gimmicks that get old fast. The Wii U tablet, Wii motion controls and 3DS 3D. I dunno about the dual screens for the DS. Was that useful or dumb?

It was good. The dual screen thing made for some really special and interesting 'gimmicks', good gameplay mechanics and really well done narrative... twists. There was really nothing to complain about the DS, in fact, barring the PS2 it probably has the biggest and best software library.

EDIT: Nintendo is also responsible for a lot of other gimmicks that didn't get old fast such as rumble and analog sticks. They probably also invented DLC/episodal content with that sattelite Zelda game but of course they never really followed up on that.

NeilPerry fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
The really useful thing with the dual screens is that it allows you to worry less about streamlining the UI. Any of the extras that would clutter up the screen in a normal game? Can be put on the other screen, which also enables players to readily reference stuff like maps or their inventory without having to pause the game continually.

• Locked thread