Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Stoat posted:

Is there a reason why every planet I can find is threat level 1?

The level range got much smaller a couple patches ago. Alpha is all 1's, if I'm not mistaken. There are "easy 1's" and "hard 1's", but no indication in the UI yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Stoat posted:

Is there a reason why every planet I can find is threat level 1?

They redid the threat levels and now all you find are threat level 1 until you kill the UFO, when you move on to level 2. Some planets in a threat level are now way harder than others, but there's no way to tell other than beaming down and getting obliterated

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Is there a way to delete characters at all? Or do I have to find their files and delete them?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

ShadowMar posted:

Are you using a pre-patch shield or a newly generated one? If it's a new one that's disappointing to hear.
Pre-patch. Would have thought the fix would have adjusted already existing ones ala the weapon hotfix.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:
I've noticed a lot more mobs grazing on grass now, except they kinda get stuck doing that and won't agro or attack back if you get close/attack them. I'm sure the devs are aware of this but boy does it make for some much-needed free meat and pixels early game.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Geokinesis posted:

Is there a way to delete characters at all? Or do I have to find their files and delete them?

You have to find their files and delete them, unfortunately.

Does anyone know what the in-game file reference is for the Lantern Backpack is? I'm lazy and want to mod it in and "sticklantern" apparently isn't the correct reference.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
30 seconds to find a tech on a new playthrough. I'm starting to think they're being placed intentionally close to the spawn.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Kithrixx posted:

You have to find their files and delete them, unfortunately.

Does anyone know what the in-game file reference is for the Lantern Backpack is? I'm lazy and want to mod it in and "sticklantern" apparently isn't the correct reference.

I think it's "lanternstickback".

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

nerdz posted:

Is anyone beating the dragon without cheesing the hell out of it? I have the matter blocks armor, which is a tier above titanium and if the dragon gets a lucky hit in I'm instakilled. I burned all of my phoenix emblems and other projectiles on it only to be destroyed in a single flame burst from full health, where the fireballs kept hitting me, ignoring any sort of invulnerability on hit.

Make a bunch of wood platforms and make walkway about 100 or so long and at least 3 player heights off the ground. Also get a weapon that shoots the white energy balls, marked with a lightning bolt. The dragon's shots go right through the platforms and thus don't leave a bunch of fire for you to trip over. Then just run under him when he shoots fire and jump around swinging at his face when he isn't.

Combat Shotgun
Apr 28, 2007

Forget the hip surgery, get some rope!
Finally got the space marine armor into the game.

Now it's time to tweak the art and stats and maybe try to make a bolter to go with it

:black101:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

Maybe it's on purpose, but has anyone else noticed the 'random building' code is sort of... clumpy? Like if I encounter the frog merchant underground on a planet, and go dig somewhere else on the same planet, chance are I'll... find another frog merchant instead of something completely different.

I forget whether it was in the patch notes or something Tiy said in IRC, but the rate of underground events was increased in the patch, so you'll more likely run into underground tombs and frogmen and poo poo.

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do
This thread moves very fast, but i just need one thing answered: does the ship post-patch no longer accept unrefined wood as fuel?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It seems that the inventory screen actually sticks, but since it recenters when you open a cooking screen it then sticks to that position. It'd be nice if cooking screens weren't tied to the inventory screen.

edit - Seems to be cooking, fuel, personal locker, maybe chests too.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 12, 2013

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a list of different planet types, and what to expect from each?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Chello De Don posted:

This thread moves very fast, but i just need one thing answered: does the ship post-patch no longer accept unrefined wood as fuel?

Unrefined Wood is no longer usable as fuel, that is correct. However you can now smelt 10 Unrefined Wood to 1 Coal.

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do

Umberger posted:

Unrefined Wood is no longer usable as fuel, that is correct. However you can now smelt 10 Unrefined Wood to 1 Coal.

Ahh, awesome. That helps a lot.

Now i can finally get rid of this enormous stack of wood in my ship.

EDIT: Just tried it, doesn't seem to work :( do i have to use a furnace higher tier than the stone furnace?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Chello De Don posted:

Ahh, awesome. That helps a lot.

Now i can finally get rid of this enormous stack of wood in my ship.

EDIT: Just tried it, doesn't seem to work :( do i have to use a furnace higher tier than the stone furnace?

Have you patched recently?

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do

Orv posted:

Have you patched recently?

I believe it patched earlier this evening when i logged on. I'll try restarting steam and trying again.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
There's no point in saving all the weapons I don't want that drop in (say) the prison, is there? I can never sell them or feed them into my Mr. Fusion fuel input or anything? Might as well just trash them all?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Mystery Prize posted:

So does this mean the game basically ends once you beat the Tier 3 boss for now? There's nothing new to unlock.

Well.

There is the tier 4 boss.

:ssh:

Try making the capture station.

After that it's just placeholder stuff.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
My new starter planet is full of angry Avians, so far I'm way better off than my last game! Found some weapons right off the bat, including that goofy bone mace.

Is customizing your ship something that you unlock? I can't seem to place anything in the background of mine, I'm pre-UFO.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Leadthumb posted:

Can you scan the spawner?

This is from a ways back but it's actually an annoying and kinda important thing if you have a spawner: Scanning spawners does not work but will still destroy the spawner.

For some reason you can't 3D print them, but the scanner will still eat them anyway. At least it did for the doctor spawner that I tried.

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!
I so want to get this game. I don't think I will be able to until after Christmas. Family, friends, and son come first.

Man, I thought being an adult would be so much more fun. :(

Also the lack of time to play games. I'd love to play a game like Starbound for a couple days straight.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
The devs are answering questions and talking about the game here: http://www.twitch.tv/tehmorag

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

So I started playing this last night with a friend and it worked just fine, but today I can't load the game for some reason. When I click "Launch Starbound" from the little starter screen I get an error "bonk" sound but no error message pops up and nothing happens. I can open up my task manager and see a big Starbound process running, but I can't actually play the game. Does anyone know if this is a common thing or if there is a way to fix it? I already tried uninstalling and doing a clean install and it hasn't changed anything.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

MrTheDevious posted:

They redid the threat levels and now all you find are threat level 1 until you kill the UFO, when you move on to level 2. Some planets in a threat level are now way harder than others, but there's no way to tell other than beaming down and getting obliterated

The UI is going to eventually have a difficulty indicator for each planet. It's just not ready yet.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
How do I delete characters?

I assumed removing files from the Starbound\player folder would do the trick, but the game doesn't start without them.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I randomed the name Apedrinker for my floran.

There is an Apex city on my starting planet.

COINCIDENCE???

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How do you rebuild your map?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

This is from a ways back but it's actually an annoying and kinda important thing if you have a spawner: Scanning spawners does not work but will still destroy the spawner.

For some reason you can't 3D print them, but the scanner will still eat them anyway. At least it did for the doctor spawner that I tried.

If you are able to craft an item, it seems you can't print it. You can, however, still scan it. I'd be willing to bet that if you had a spawner before you unlocked those recipes, you'd be able to print it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Time to Voluntarily retire Robo Bot and see how this tweak turns out. I'm optimistic though.

Unrelated, are map coordinates supposed to have the Y ones a digit shorter than the X ones? Everywhere I clicked on the Alpha Sector for Robo Bot, including spawn star, had 8 X numbers, and 7 Y numbers. Pre wipe coordinates had 8 for each. My newest random Glitch,(Named Glitch Glitch), is back to 8 digits each though.

Also, nice, the Launcher now has bold red text about the Beta/Bugs/Wipes situation.

EDIT: Oh cool, the first wild animal that attacked me not only would die in 3 hits (and had no projectiles), but was smart enough to move to saftey on a dirt ledge I could not reach before I could finish him off. Whether by design of coincidence, that was a nice immerssive start. Though I also just now realized I didn't spawn with full health :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 12, 2013

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Mokinokaro posted:

The UI is going to eventually have a difficulty indicator for each planet. It's just not ready yet.

Yeah I know, I wasn't bitching, just telling him how it worked at the moment. Once you're past level 1 tech everything gets a ton better anyway

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I found a Hiraki Corale note in the Apex city. She talks about how she had the genius idea of bringing together the Resistance and the Minikong's followers, so she led a Minikong platoon to the Resistance base. Then she left because she was busy, and she was happy that she saw them marching together through the town square.

:smith:

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I'm full to the brim with mushroom blueprints. My mushroom palace will be grand.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Was looking through the codex assets and I found one titled "The Lusty Avian Maid". That has to be a parody of Skyrim's "The Lusty Argonian Maid".

These codex own.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

XboxPants posted:

If you are able to craft an item, it seems you can't print it. You can, however, still scan it. I'd be willing to bet that if you had a spawner before you unlocked those recipes, you'd be able to print it.

There's no way that I know of to craft the Doctor Spawner, though. I just found one around and then fed it to my printer for no benefit.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can't scan the things you can craft at all. It certainly doesn't do anything when trying to scan stuff like the furnace or crafting table.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Mushroom Palace? Try MEAT CASTLE.

The meat Guardhouse. To the left is the Meat Bridge. It is also the spawn-in for the planet, and has a sniper window at the top level.

The Meat Bridge, with its glistening, gristly vaulting arches dripping meat juice down upon those who walk under it.

The proper castle is not done yet, but needless to say, it will be beyond the ken of normal thought.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there anything more to use Diamonds on other than the pickaxe and Drill? The tier 3+ planets are filled with Diamond ores.
Not that I'm complaining, as each ore gives 100 pixels in the refinery.

Also, has anyone found any blueprints for crystal other than the bed and chest? Looks like you could build a neat base out of that.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ViggyNash posted:

I found a Hiraki Corale note in the Apex city. She talks about how she had the genius idea of bringing together the Resistance and the Minikong's followers, so she led a Minikong platoon to the Resistance base. Then she left because she was busy, and she was happy that she saw them marching together through the town square.

:smith:

Earlier Codex entries indicate that she also gave them Big Ape branded jackets, pulled out a rocket launcher in front of them and blew up the front of their HQ.

Goddammit Hiraki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Shoot, I wish I had read this 10 minutes earlier, I just blasted my first spawner, a tool spawner, to the printer.

• Locked thread