Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

Blhue posted:

It may not go anywhere at all, but I think the mangaka has a thing for age gap romance as she has done a short series about a middle schooler and an OL winding up together.

:stonk: Well that paints that sideplot in a rather creepy light. I mean, it's not hard to skip those parts entirely and pretend they don't exist, but geez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's still a terrible premise, but the other story she did wasn't as horrible as it sounds, and iirc it timeskipped to when he was like 21 or something?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yeah. I actually rather like it. Its the title story of Game Over, which also has a few one shots by the mangaka.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Horimiya updated. What do you guys think of the shorter hair?

Blhue posted:

It may not go anywhere at all, but I think the mangaka has a thing for age gap romance as she has done a short series about a middle schooler and an OL winding up together.

Goddammit this almost reminds me of another romance series featuring a middle schooler and a working adult, except the schooler is female and the adult is male. I don't think it went anywhere, but looking back at it it sure felt really creepy.

On an unrelated note, what do you guys think about Uwagaki?

The premise: A guy named Ajiokawa has a crush on a girl named Terui. Terui notices this and tells Ajiokawa that she got a boyfriend and that he should give up. Their teacher notices this and creates a clone of Terui. This is all for an experiment on human love:

The premise horrifies me. It's odd how...content the girl is with the possibility of losing all her feelings or the clone is with...well, everything. The general tone of the manga so far seems to be lighthearted dramedy (comedy on clone, drama on original) and I quite enjoyed the clone's romantic bits, though.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 4, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kimi ni Todoke 85

I wonder how many can be left, it's clearly in its endgame. Couldn't help but laugh at Joe's troubles getting a girlfriend. Also Sawako's letter was adorable.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

Kimi ni Todoke 85

I wonder how many can be left, it's clearly in its endgame. Couldn't help but laugh at Joe's troubles getting a girlfriend. Also Sawako's letter was adorable.

:3::kimchi::3:

Chapter ten of Kakukaku Shikajika is out too!
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/210426/kakukaku-shikajika_v2_ch10_by_hachimitsu-scans

Both of these series are hitting the ol' nostalgia button hard for me right now; KnT for the excitement and uncertainty of getting ready to leave home (or not) as graduation approaches and Kakukaku Shikajika for actually being in college and promptly becoming a dumbass who had a lot more fun running around like an idiot rather than, ya know, actually going to school.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Man that's one great teacher.

There's two new chapters of Fragments of Love. poo poo is about to go down. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/210341/omoino-kakera_v2_ch9_by_lililicious
And an extra chapter from the first volume. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/210340/omoino-kakera_v1_ch5.5_by_lililicious

Finally got my copy of Pink and in my opinion it's Okazaki's best work. I wasn't expecting it to be so hilarious. Hopefully it sells well enough for them to translate River's Edge.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

coathat posted:

There's two new chapters of Fragments of Love. poo poo is about to go down. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/210341/omoino-kakera_v2_ch9_by_lililicious
And an extra chapter from the first volume. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/210340/omoino-kakera_v1_ch5.5_by_lililicious

I mentioned it before in this thread, but I really like how Jin Takemiya handles homosexuality in general. It's underground, but still visible, with its own lifestyle, vocabulary, etc. and Maya is really struggling with her feelings. She doesn't fall madly in love or anything, and I love how Mika decided she was a lesbian, by watching a documentary on same-sex relationships as a kid featuring a couple that were girls, but still loved each other in spite of the hostility they faced, but that there were people who understood and respected them.

It kind of reminded me another manga, called Honey & Honey. The author is a lesbian in a relationship in Japan, talking about the stuff she does in every day life and what living as a gay person in Japan is like.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The only thing I don't love about her stuff is weird neck shadows she draws. Kinda freaks me out when I look at it to hard.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

toanoradian posted:

Horimiya updated. What do you guys think of the shorter hair?

Just got caught up. The reactions were great. :3:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

coathat posted:

The only thing I don't love about her stuff is weird neck shadows she draws. Kinda freaks me out when I look at it to hard.

Acorn heads.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Today is a good day because there's a new Chihayafuru chapter.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Now that I've caught up and have to wait for new stuff, it really drives home how little happens in each chapter. I think it could definitely be a life's work for the mangaka.

a kitten posted:

:3::kimchi::3:

Chapter ten of Kakukaku Shikajika is out too!
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/210426/kakukaku-shikajika_v2_ch10_by_hachimitsu-scans

Both of these series are hitting the ol' nostalgia button hard for me right now; KnT for the excitement and uncertainty of getting ready to leave home (or not) as graduation approaches and Kakukaku Shikajika for actually being in college and promptly becoming a dumbass who had a lot more fun running around like an idiot rather than, ya know, actually going to school.

Kakukaku Shikajika is so good. I'm a fair way through Kuragehime now and, although I'm enjoying it a lot, I think I love the autiobiographical inserts Higashimura does at the end of each volume better than the actual story. I guess that's why I find Kakukaku so compelling. I'm kind of alienated by the knowledge that she crushed so hard on that K-pop guy that she visited Korea multiple times just to buy his photo book and stuff. I can't understand that kind of mentality. I could sort of understand when she wanted to actually meet Koichi Morishita, however.

Are there any other 'autobiographical' mangas in the same style?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Taiyou no Ie 36

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

It really sucks that Mao can only be with one of them. Though hopefully after this Daiki business is cleared up the focus will shift a bit more towards family cause I'm really interested to see both how Mao and her father reconcile and how the gang will get through to Hina.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Daiki is the best, really

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
Yeah I used to want mao and hiro to get together but man gently caress that dude daiki rules so hard.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hiro wanted to sort out the rebuilding of families and lives before a relationship, and Daiki was just like "eff dat". I wonder if it'll cause a dramastorm(it will).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't think Hiro was going to wait until Hina came back at least; I think his goal was to start dating after Mao moves back. The most obvious development then is that Mao's dad continues to act like the dick he is and that goes south. So Mao/Hiro/Daiki will be stuck in a weird, awkward limbo as she stays in the Nakamura house.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I'm interested in how this is gonna play out, especially during the big family vacation.

New Kakukaku Shikajika. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/211215/kakukaku-shikajika_v2_ch11_by_hachimitsu-scans

And the new series by Nodame Cantabile's Ninomiya Tomoko is being translated. http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/87-clockers-r1590
It's about competitive overclocking.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

So I just read the first chapter of Bunny Drop and it was pretty cute, however there are a poo poo ton of comments at the end of it of people warning others not to read it because it goes horribly wrong at the end. Is it not worth reading then? Someone inferred its like the ending of (anime show starting with an H) Honey & Clover . Is this true? Because I hated the ending of that.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'd just watch the anime. It covers all the good parts with none of the bad.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I am sadly going to go with "yes, it's not worth it". The ending is probably worse than you are imagining (no clue what they're going on about comparing it to Honey and Clover). Someone can probably dig up the chapter where you could theoretically stop at to preserve your sanity. Everything about the ending retroactively ruined the rest of the manga for me.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
You guys have convinced me to read it, now. I'm getting flashbacks of LOST fandom.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nate RFB posted:

I am sadly going to go with "yes, it's not worth it". The ending is probably worse than you are imagining (no clue what they're going on about comparing it to Honey and Clover).
I've only seen the anime version of H&C, but I think what they might be talking about is Hagu ending up "with" her uncle, although my understanding is that it wasn't like they were getting married but that he was going to look after her for the rest of her life because she was too broken to be able to function in society or a normal relationship. Overall I loved the ending to H&C's anime, though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

If you read Bunny Drop up til the 10 year time-skip, or just watch the anime which stops at just that point it will be one of the best things you've ever watched, or read.

If you go past that it gets Real Dumb and you will only end up disappointed. Like Matrix sequels or Star Wars prequels or whatever disappointing story continuation is most appropriate for your tastes.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
People make way too big a deal about the Usagi Drop ending. Yea, it's bad, but it doesn't even come up in the anime and as weird as it is in the manga it could honestly be a lot worse. You can probably guess what it is from what everyone else is saying, so I'm just going to go out and say it: There's a ten year time skip (the daughter is 16) where the daughter confesses that she loves the dad character as something more than a father, and then there's a skip until she's 18 where there's a sudden revelation that they aren't blood related and yea you can see where this is going. He's 42 by this point, btw.

My tastes are a little weird, but my main reaction to this is less "everything is ruined" and more "holy poo poo they're actually doing this". I can understand why people hate this so much, but it's not like this ever comes up in the story before the skip. All this post time skip stuff is very obviously not on the dad's mind during the bulk of the story (read the chapters if you want to see his steady evolution into a creeper!). It's also easier to take when you remember that the book is targeted towards women. This isn't a story about wanting to marry your daughter, it's a father figure fantasy with a bunch of elements designed to make it benign. There's so many things hosed up about that, but dear lord it's not like there aren't thousands of manga that are disturbing in so many worse ways.

It's a weird little fantasy that I wish wasn't there, but it makes me laugh more than it makes me hate it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

jackofarcades posted:

You guys have convinced me to read it, now. I'm getting flashbacks of LOST fandom.

The ending to Bunny Drop retroactively harmed my perception of the entire rest of the series, so I guess read it at your own risk?

edit: Tesla if you can't see why a lot of people would be more than a little peeved that an otherwise slightly more dramatic Yotsuba suddenly takes a turn where the barely legal, blood-unrelated(which is not revealed until it's convenient) daughter marries the 42-year-old adoptive father, I don't know what to say, except that using a "there's so much worse out there" excuse is pretty weak.

In summary: Just Watch The Anime. The entire thing's on Crunchyroll. As far as anime goes, it's one of my favorites, and doesn't have any of the stupid bullshit.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 11, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The Devil Tesla posted:

There's so many things hosed up about that, but dear lord it's not like there aren't thousands of manga that are disturbing in so many worse ways.
"Thousands of manga" aren't cute/charming in an almost Yotsuba-like fashion for 75% of their chapters only to be followed up with that. It's the great start combined with the dreadful finish that results in so much despair.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Tesla if you can't see why a lot of people would be more than a little peeved that an otherwise slightly more dramatic Yotsuba suddenly takes a turn where the barely legal, blood-unrelated(which is not revealed until it's convenient) daughter marries the 42-year-old adoptive father, I don't know what to say, except that using a "there's so much worse out there" excuse is pretty weak.\

Oh I definitely get it, I just think people blow it out of proportion, that's all.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Overreactions or not, it's not completely unwarranted. What the story pulled was incredibly out of left field and it made every other development up until that point, well pointless. It was not a payoff anyone expected or even wanted.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Compendium posted:

It was not a payoff anyone expected or even wanted.

Honestly, it's even more depressing once you realize that a lot of readers probably did want it.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Ytlaya posted:

Honestly, it's even more depressing once you realize that a lot of readers probably did want it.

I don't want to know those people. :froggonk:

Every time Usagi Drop gets brought up, I can physically feel disappointment when I recall the manga going downhill.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm over the whole thing enough that I bought the blu-ray set and had no regrets about it. What a fantastically well-made show; the art, animation, and acting are all top notch.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Skip Usagi Drop and read My Girl by Sahara Mizu.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Who the hell reads a heartwarming single dad manga and then thinks "You know what? This should be more like tale of genji."

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Meanwhile...

Kakukaku Shikajkika Chapter 12

Aag, what are you doing?

Actually, I'm pretty much under the impression that's exactly what the author is asking her younger self.

Augustin Iturbide
Jun 4, 2012
Does Taiyou no Ie ever get not weird or is that just baked into the premise?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

a kitten posted:

Meanwhile...

Kakukaku Shikajkika Chapter 12

Aag, what are you doing?

Actually, I'm pretty much under the impression that's exactly what the author is asking her younger self.

Her procrastination/self doubt is so relatable to me. I wish I'd had a ball-buster like her sensei keeping me straight when I was younger. It's strange reading something like this and knowing that she 'made it' despite her lacklustre start to uni. I wonder how the teacher will react to her manga aspirations if he finds out. I'm worried that he died before her success with Kuragehime, though.

Augustin Iturbide posted:

It's baked in and I'm not sure why people like it so much. I read a few chapters and didn't really get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Augustin Iturbide posted:

What specifically did you find weird about it?