Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Thanks for the tips guys- I will probably get some larger DPNs in bamboo and give that a go! I can always go back to the smaller ones later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Thanks for the tips. I'm not quite to knitting in the round. But soon.

Is it usual for the ends of a scarf to be a little wider? I'm not done with it, and I intend to block them, but it looks like the ends of the scarf are just a hair wider. I counted my stitches and they're the same number...

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Aerofallosov posted:

Is it usual for the ends of a scarf to be a little wider? I'm not done with it, and I intend to block them, but it looks like the ends of the scarf are just a hair wider. I counted my stitches and they're the same number...

I find that mine usually are, especially at the BO end. No idea why though.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

left_unattended posted:

I've always written it off as the fact that the bind off and cast on rows are more stiff and structured so they have less shrink. Those stitches interlock with the ones next to them in different ways than a regular row of knitting.

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013

Aerofallosov posted:

You almost always get a looser result knitting from a cast on row; that's why it looks wider. Not a fault of your technique, just the way it goes; as Fionnoula says, a CO row isn't the same kind of stitch as a regular one.

A way round this is to work every stitch of the first row through the back loops rather than the front. That'll result in a thicker, more 'finished' looking stitch, and the ends will be slightly narrower rather than slightly wider. Looks a bit tidier, but comes out less flexible, so it's mostly a matter of taste and probably comes down to what suits the particular yarn and pattern you're using. You could try it on a bit of sample yarn to compare and see which you prefer.

ETA: I was going to ask if anyone could recommend any quick knits for Christmas tree decorations, but decided to take my lazy rear end to Ravelry and have a look first ... and guess what I found? This wonderful person, who puts all sorts of good things up as free downloads, only with an option to make a donation to the Children's Liver Disease Foundation. So basically, loads of patterns for nice things by someone who's trying to raise money for a really good cause. I thought that deserved a plug.

Apple Tree fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 8, 2013

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
It depends on the cast on and bind off method you use, too. Twisted loop or knitting on will give you a really loose cast on edge. I tend to use long tail cast on and sewn bind offs lately because they're nicely structured, stretchy and don't distort the rows above/below them. They both work fairly well with ribbing, too. It takes a little longer than some methods, but I really like the results.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I think I use the long tail method to cast on, since that was what my friend showed me and what I saw in the Stitch 'n Bitch book. That, and knittinghelp.com.

It's nice to know it's not just me, then. I thought it was very odd.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
I didn't realize that guy had so many patterns. I've made the 10 stitch blanket.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Apple Tree posted:

ETA: I was going to ask if anyone could recommend any quick knits for Christmas tree decorations, but decided to take my lazy rear end to Ravelry and have a look first ... and guess what I found? This wonderful person, who puts all sorts of good things up as free downloads, only with an option to make a donation to the Children's Liver Disease Foundation. So basically, loads of patterns for nice things by someone who's trying to raise money for a really good cause. I thought that deserved a plug.

Going back to "mindless knitting," I'm currently knitting Frankie's 10-stitch blanket. I just finished the first skein of Red Heart Unforgettable and I have 5 more to go. Or it could be a lovely cat mat as is.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Here's mine on a queen size bed with cat to measure. It started off as a way to use sock yarn remnants and ended up with a couple full skiens in it.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

left_unattended posted:

If you are doing a ribbed scarf, the cast on and bind off do not 'bend' with the ribbing. The ribbing pulls the fabric in, while the ends are held flat by the bind off/cast on. If you want bind off/cast on to follow the ribbing, you can do "Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off" or her complementary cast on. Both are, as advertised, surprisingly stretchy, not too difficult to do, and they 'corrugate' with the ribbing, so the knitting edge isn't pulled flat and flared out.

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013

Amykinz posted:

If you are doing a ribbed scarf, the cast on and bind off do not 'bend' with the ribbing. The ribbing pulls the fabric in, while the ends are held flat by the bind off/cast on. If you want bind off/cast on to follow the ribbing, you can do "Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off" or her complementary cast on. Both are, as advertised, surprisingly stretchy, not too difficult to do, and they 'corrugate' with the ribbing, so the knitting edge isn't pulled flat and flared out.

There's an excellent link on one of those pages too, for 'Judy's magic cast-on.' It's a better version of 8-needle cast-on, both easier to do and gets a better result. Highly recommended; it's designed for socks, but it's also perfect for toy-making.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Just finished a doubleknit scarf from handspun (crossposted to the spinning thread):

I love it sooooo much. Pattern is Vice Versa, it's on Ravelry...doubleknitting is cool.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

It's beautiful!! Fantastic job on the yarn and the scarf!

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."

Dead Cow posted:

Here's mine on a queen size bed with cat to measure. It started off as a way to use sock yarn remnants and ended up with a couple full skiens in it.

What pattern is this? I've got so many small leftovers from projects this year! It would be fun to have a baby blanket knitted from all the leftovers from the baby stuff I've knitted.

ManduFondue
Mar 9, 2013

jota23 posted:

What pattern is this? I've got so many small leftovers from projects this year! It would be fun to have a baby blanket knitted from all the leftovers from the baby stuff I've knitted.

If you have a ravelry account, you can get the pattern here http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ten-stitch-blanket .
Its been in my 'to do list' for ages for all those leftover pieces I dont know what else to use for.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If I had leftovers (and if I were crazy), I would definitely make the Honeycomb Blanket. Goonspeed.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ooh, some crazy ethical yarn. http://store.darngoodyarn.com/

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

If I had leftovers (and if I were crazy), I would definitely make the Honeycomb Blanket. Goonspeed.

Did you mean the Beekeeper's quilt?

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I've never been drawn to any of the stashbuster blanket patterns - I've seen some nice ones where the color scheme works out, but I use so many different colored and pattern sock yarns that it would look too hackneyed and not something I would display in my apartment.

I am, however working on a pair of Frankentights that I will wear the poo poo out of when they're done.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
I just stumbled on a handy tip for weaving in ends when you don't have enough yarn to thread a needle - grab a crochet hook and push it through the stitch you want to pull the tail through. Hold the end of the yarn tail so it won't flail around, and grab the yarn with the crochet hook. Pull it through the stitch, then repeat until you're satisfied. Probably something everyone figured out long ago, but I thought it was neat :).

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for

Drei posted:

I am, however working on a pair of Frankentights that I will wear the poo poo out of when they're done.

Those are amazing and I think I'm going to hunt for all my left over sock yarn as soon as I get home.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

left_unattended posted:

I just stumbled on a handy tip for weaving in ends when you don't have enough yarn to thread a needle - grab a crochet hook and push it through the stitch you want to pull the tail through. Hold the end of the yarn tail so it won't flail around, and grab the yarn with the crochet hook. Pull it through the stitch, then repeat until you're satisfied. Probably something everyone figured out long ago, but I thought it was neat :).

If my end is too short, I weave the tapestry needle into the next few stitches until only the eye is showing, thread it, and pull through.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

left_unattended posted:

That's how I've always done it, but I started with crochet.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
I have two days off, yarn, and 2 and a half hats and possibly one scarf to make in time for Christmas. Operation Infinite Knitting is now in progress.

left_unattended posted:

I saw on some blog (techknitting?) they make a tool called a "knit picker" that works sort of the same way except its tiny and has a little latch over the hook part so it doesn't snag. I had never heard of such a beast before but bought one and it has turned weaving in ends from "tedious painful chore" to "two minute mindless task while watching Steve Wilkos." It's cheap and awesome, I love it.

And from last page, when casting on for a circular project I cast on onto a larger straight needle and slip the stitches onto my circulars. I knit my hats on a #7 and cast on on a #9. This works for me for three reasons: I find it easier to cast onto straight needles, I tend to cast on too tightly and this helps keep the first row from binding up, and somehow its easier for me to keep from twisting everything up doing it this way. However, it also all depends on how much bourbon I've had when I start a project. I am the worst knitter.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

two forty posted:

I have two days off, yarn, and 2 and a half hats and possibly one scarf to make in time for Christmas. Operation Infinite Knitting is now in progress.

I saw on some blog (techknitting?) they make a tool called a "knit picker" that works sort of the same way except its tiny and has a little latch over the hook part so it doesn't snag. I had never heard of such a beast before but bought one and it has turned weaving in ends from "tedious painful chore" to "two minute mindless task while watching Steve Wilkos." It's cheap and awesome, I love it.

Hahaha, they've renamed a latch-hook tool and they're selling it to knitters. Brilliant!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I spent $25 on a skein of Brown Sheep Burly Spun in Bountiful Harvest to make a hat for my little brother and he doesn't like the yarn, so we bought him a balaclava and now I have a super bulky yarn and no idea what to do with it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Make yourself a hat or cowl? Selfish knitting forever (says the girl making her grandpa two ski masks).

Dead Cow posted:

Did you mean the Beekeeper's quilt?
Sure do! All I could remember was it's not actually named hexipuffs.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Fionnoula posted:

Hahaha, they've renamed a latch-hook tool and they're selling it to knitters. Brilliant!

I went to Joann and bought one for a buck but that really would be a brilliant con.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Sure do! All I could remember was it's not actually named hexipuffs.

All I know is that the "hexipuff" craze lasted until people started putting the quilt together and found it is ungodly heavy. A lot of people have switched over to not stuffing them at all, and at that point they've spent $6 on a pattern that equates to "Make a sock toe toe up, then make another sock toe like you're making a sock top down" (they call them "hexiflats")

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I'm knitting a hat with a cabled sideways brim and it came out 'ow, my brain' tight. Looked at the Ravelry comments and they all say the same thing. Now I have to redo it and add rows in somewhere.

Dead Cow posted:

All I know is that the "hexipuff" craze lasted until people started putting the quilt together and found it is ungodly heavy. A lot of people have switched over to not stuffing them at all, and at that point they've spent $6 on a pattern that equates to "Make a sock toe toe up, then make another sock toe like you're making a sock top down" (they call them "hexiflats")

That is really, really funny.

White Mage Illy
May 7, 2008

Dead Cow posted:

I'm really annoyed because I figured out how to make the hexagons (it really is sock toes...), but I couldn't figure out how to attach them to each other. I wanted to know how to put the drat thing together, and so I spent the six dollars. I wasn't going to stuff 'em, though, because I suspected it would be heavy enough.

I do not consider this to be one of my smartest purchases.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
How to put them together? Doesn't the pattern page description even talk about how they're just tied together, as a selling point?

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

How to put them together? Doesn't the pattern page description even talk about how they're just tied together, as a selling point?

Yeah, but if you just tie them together they pull really bad on the corners when you lift it. A lot of people stitch them together either at the corners or all the way around.

The amount of modifications for a simple little idea are astounding. Also when I went to the fiber festival in October, there were booths selling mini-skiens! for hexapuffs! and the math comes out to spending like $5+ more than if you just bought a regular skein of sock yarn of equivalent weight.

The whole beekeeper quilt thing is my knitting schadenfreude.

quote:

Marking as frogged because I lost the bag containing all of the finished hexipuffs.

Or this one that isn't even a whole blanket

quote:

"From Start to finish this blanket has taken 2 year and 4 days, Thats 24 months 4 days or 716 days."
"Though we have already been using the blanket, this morning B, little princess and I snuggled under it on the couch. And I do have to admit, it is super comfy and amazingly warm. But it is long and skinny and rather heavy so I’m not sure how much use it will really get. For now it’s living with the rest of the blankets in our entrance way."

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
Or people spending ridiculous amounts of money on yarn bowls. I support the idea/concept but it can be achieved by cutting a hole in a Tupperware container.

I bought the beekeepers pattern and got entirely over it after knitting like four hexes.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Blue_monday posted:

Or people spending ridiculous amounts of money on yarn bowls. I support the idea/concept but it can be achieved by cutting a hole in a Tupperware container.

I bought the beekeepers pattern and got entirely over it after knitting like four hexes.

I'd love a yarn bowl but for some unknown reason they are like $10-20 more than another ceramics project of the same size and complexity. I might see how much it would cost to go to the ceramics place by my house to throw and cook my own. Or just make one out of fimo clay.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.

White Mage Illy posted:

I'm really annoyed because I figured out how to make the hexagons (it really is sock toes...), but I couldn't figure out how to attach them to each other. I wanted to know how to put the drat thing together, and so I spent the six dollars. I wasn't going to stuff 'em, though, because I suspected it would be heavy enough.

I do not consider this to be one of my smartest purchases.

I see on Ravelry that there are a bunch of free charts for designs on the hexipuffs but other then one crochet pattern, there are no free patterns for the hexipuff itself. Is the only way to make these is by biting the bullet and paying the $6 for the pattern?

I know you said they are really just sock toes but I don't trust myself to go rogue on patterns.

And you can kinda DIY your own yarn bowl with a really big plastic container and lid. Like if you get the big almond containers from Costco, just wash it out. Drill a hole in the lid, make the edges smooth. Then drop your ball of yarn in the container, feed the yarn through the hole in the lid, screw it shut. Then it should just feed the yarn as you knit/crochet without the ball rolling away. (Hopefully that made sense)

VVV: or what Blue_Monday said cause I am slow at typing.

Nibblet fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 12, 2013

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Blue_monday posted:

The one that's currently killing me is the lazy susan yarn holders for $40-50 that are essentially a paper towel holder with some ball bearings. You can make one out of an empty cd spindle, $3.00 mini lazy susan bearings from Amazon and some hot glue.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Does anyone have any suggestions for tactile-y interesting patterns? I have a great aunt who is almost blind and lives in a home so she doesn't need any more stuff. But she always gives me something for Christmas so I feel obligated.

I was thinking something that she could use or just have that might be nice to feel since she can't see it. Or any other suggestions. I've given her gloves and a blanket before. Was thinking ear warmers maybe this year but I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Functionally I have stuff I can use as a yarn bowl, but they are pretty ceramic things and I don't understand why a vase of similar dimensions and construction can go for so much less than something specifically called a "yarn bowl"

I use a lazy kate made out of chopsticks and Styrofoam for spinning, so I'm no stranger to throwing something together.

a friendly penguin posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for tactile-y interesting patterns? I have a great aunt who is almost blind and lives in a home so she doesn't need any more stuff. But she always gives me something for Christmas so I feel obligated.

I was thinking something that she could use or just have that might be nice to feel since she can't see it. Or any other suggestions. I've given her gloves and a blanket before. Was thinking ear warmers maybe this year but I don't know.

Can't go wrong with a scarf made with novelty yarn.