Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

Prison Warden posted:

I love that the artist just stood there waiting while Doom wheeled in his giant moon-laser model death ray.

You say that as if Doom doesn't have one, sometimes more, in every room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Suben posted:

It is really, really hard to pick one page or sequence from that issue.

You gotta post the part right before that

Love the Death of Superman reference.

Seriously, it's so hard not to just post the whole issue. If you are not reading Superior Foes, well that's just a drat shame.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Everything about Superior is great, really.

Except that it's going to have to end eventually :smith:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sockser posted:

Everything about Superior is great, really.

Except that it's going to have to end eventually :smith:

It took me a few seconds to realize you were talking about Superior Foes and I was momentarily puzzled.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

WickedHate posted:

It took me a few seconds to realize you were talking about Superior Foes and I was momentarily puzzled.

Superior Spider-Man is pretty good too. Spider-Ock grows on you after a while, it'll be kind of sad when the devil accepts Peter Parker's foreskin as payment for reversing that whole switcheroo.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

WickedHate posted:

I buy anything with Superior in the title because everything is p cool right now.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Spanish Matlock posted:

Superior Spider-Man is pretty good too. Spider-Ock grows on you after a while, it'll be kind of sad when the devil accepts Peter Parker's foreskin as payment for reversing that whole switcheroo.

Sockser posted:

I buy anything with Superior in the title because everything is p cool right now.

Huh. See, I actually like the main title too, but most people I've seen seem to hate it and Slott's writing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

WickedHate posted:

Huh. See, I actually like the main title too, but most people I've seen seem to hate it and Slott's writing.

It had a really rough start but now that Spock is a thing and other writers have had the opportunity to give more life to it Superior can be a stupid fun book.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

prefect posted:

You know it will later be revealed that that's a Doombot, right? :)

As a Doom fan I am 100% okay with that entire panel sequence being completely cannon.

Choco1980 posted:

Are you sure about that?

:ssh: DC has at least four official origins for The Phantom Stranger. He won't tell which one is true, if any of them.

You poor man to have your innocence robbed like that...

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

It sounds horrible, but it was a pretty great story. Blew my young mind. (Not that my mind was particularly amazing or anything.)

http://marvel.wikia.com/Spider-Man_Versus_Wolverine_Vol_1_1

http://captaincomics.ning.com/profiles/blogs/retro-review-spider-man-versus-wolverine-1986
I know this is a few pages back but I can't let the idea that Wolverine could stand up to Spider-Man even a little bit stand. Or, as it's put in Secret Wars #3:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Spiders>Wolverines.

I think it's pretty cool when Spider-Man shows just how powerful he is when he really needs to. Too bad this usually never comes up when it'd be convenient and is only for special moments, but it's cool none the less.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Has there been anything with Spider-Ock that mentions that? Say, a moment of realization as to how strong Peter actually is, possibly with an unbelieving 'Holy poo poo' and night of heavy drinking?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Hotwire posted:

Has there been anything with Spider-Ock that mentions that? Say, a moment of realization as to how strong Peter actually is, possibly with an unbelieving 'Holy poo poo' and night of heavy drinking?

Early on he punched the jaw off Scorpion without trying(like, literally tore the dude's jaw clean off) and was stunned by it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wolverine really shouldn't taunt Spider-Man.
Amazing Spider-Man #522

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Obviously Slott's writing is most illogical, as evidenced by his opposition here:

Yes, that's a typo on the cover. It's supposed to be "Scott".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It had a really rough start but now that Spock is a thing and other writers have had the opportunity to give more life to it Superior can be a stupid fun book.

I dunno, Slott continues to be a bad writer for me. Others have definitely used the Spock concept well, but that doesn't somehow transfer to Superior Spider-man being better written. If anything it just makes me wish Slott had had some kind of accident after issue 700, forcing someone else to take over his scripting duties, so he wouldn't be dragging his own idea down with his garbage execution.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I agree wholeheartedly. I think Spock the character is written decently in Superior, it's just that every other character doesn't work in relation to Spock. Like everybody else has posted time and time again, everybody in Peter Parker's life has been acting like a loving idiot since ASM 700 not to notice the signs that something is seriously wrong with the guy. The only character who hasn't been holding the idiot ball is ~best cop ever~ Carlie Cooper and hell, the only reason she started investigating is because Peter came up and told her he got brain-swapped before he died in Ock's body, and it even took her a while of Spock being crazy to buy it. Everybody else from his co-workers to Aunt May has just said "Huh, Peter's kind of a dick, huh?" and brushed off that he's acting more like kind of a psycho, right down to cackling maniacally at times.

His superhero teammates aren't much better either. It's a little bit more believable with them, since most of them still don't know him outside of the mask (I think?) so they only see him some of the time, but they seem to be perfectly content to just let Spock start having his own private militia running through NYC as long as he passed some test running through an Avengers super-MRI machine, which mind you, didn't have Iron Man or any of the super-geniuses supervising. Just Captain America and the tower autopilot. And somehow not one psychic or magic user has scanned him to detect something's amiss either.

edit: I feel bad posting all that and not actually contributing to the thread. Here's something from Mighty Avengers #4.INH. And hey, it's kind of relevant to the Spock discussion!

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 12, 2013

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Gatts posted:

Awww. Doom's mother is also dead and her soul in hell...I think...RICHARDS! :doom:

Yes. In partnership with Dr.Strange, he broke into hell and broke her out of Hell. He betrayed Strange to do it, which got Doom's mother to denounce Doom-refusing to take his aid. Which was the 'pure act' necessary to get her out of hell. So she was freed at the cost of the mother hating the son. Doom felt it worth it.

Doom and Strange then fought down Mephisto to escape hell. It's a wonderful moment. It's probably in Impressive Panels somewhere.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bloodly posted:

Yes. In partnership with Dr.Strange, he broke into hell and broke her out of Hell. He betrayed Strange to do it, which got Doom's mother to denounce Doom-refusing to take his aid. Which was the 'pure act' necessary to get her out of hell. So she was freed at the cost of the mother hating the son. Doom felt it worth it.

Doom and Strange then fought down Mephisto to escape hell. It's a wonderful moment. It's probably in Impressive Panels somewhere.

You left out the part where Doom intentionally threw a contest to come in second so Strange had to assist him.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Len posted:

You left out the part where Doom intentionally threw a contest to come in second so Strange had to assist him.

I think you're giving Doom a little too much credit there. He semi-cheated to get as close to winning as he did, and there was no previous suggestion that the second-place finisher would get to demand a favor from the winner.

I really wish someone would get to spend some time expanding the Marvel magic scene. I love the rasta guy (Jules St. Thomas).

"Mojo lance" is such a great name for a spell. :allears:

prefect fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 12, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Monica Rambeau looks really stupid with straight hair, but I guess Greg Land couldn't find anyone with the right hair to trace reference.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is that blond guy supposed to be Danny Rand?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Monica Rambeau looks really stupid with straight hair, but I guess Greg Land couldn't find anyone with the right hair to trace reference.
Halle Berry doesn't usually have natural hair, I don't think.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TwoPair posted:

You gotta post the part right before that

Has it been established that the dude that looks like a mega man villain has an NYT buddy named Mahoney or is Boomerang making a Police Academy joke?

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Has it been established that the dude that looks like a mega man villain has an NYT buddy named Mahoney or is Boomerang making a Police Academy joke?

I'm thinking it's a reference at the very least.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is that blond guy supposed to be Danny Rand?

He's Dave Griffith, who is according to people in the main Marvel thread, Cage's partner back from his old series in the 70s. Back from character purgatory!

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The movie theater hippy? Huh! I always wondered what happened to him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So Luke & Jessica's kid can talk? Did I miss something?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

So Luke & Jessica's kid can talk? Did I miss something?

Yeah, it's called the passage of time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Molly Hayes hasn't aged at all in 10 years. This kid is gonna be putting on tights within 3.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Lurdiak posted:

IT'S A SKRULL! IT HAS TO BE!

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Rhyno posted:

Molly Hayes hasn't aged at all in 10 years. This kid is gonna be putting on tights within 3.

Well when you sleep so much you'll save some years, too.

Also I totally didn't even recognize Monica. Time to go read Nextwave again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

And the award for most unnatural dialogue in a Spider-man comic goes to....

David Morrel, for Amazing Spider-man 700.2!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

https://m.facebook.com/DavidMorrellAuthor/posts/552106958213301
It looks like someone went and hosed around with his script, so it might not be his fault.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't the only person with authority to do that be the editor?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
From the looks of it, the person they got to change the dialogue was the author of Spidey Super Stories.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

WickedHate posted:

From the looks of it, the person they got to change the dialogue was the author of Spidey Super Stories.

I will happily sign up to have heartwarming spider-man comics written in Super Stories style.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Lurdiak posted:

This reads like it came from that superhero dictionary.

Edit: The Super Dictionary

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

theflyingorc posted:

I will happily sign up to have heartwarming spider-man comics written in Super Stories style.

Marvel needs this. It'd be their Batman 66.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
I think Tom whedon is passed on. It's unfortunate none of his kids have his writing chops.

• Locked thread