Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Flagrant Abuse posted:

And also made sure the Exile went out like a punk. Dude is just really bitter that someone else wrote a better Kotor than him.

But he's always been a hack, and I'm convinced that Mass Effect was some kind of fluke (or the result of having several other writers). His novelization of BG2:ToB was pure piss.

I really have no idea why Mass Effect fans take it as a given that his original ending idea for Mass Effect 3 would have been some amazing storytelling work of genius, or even anything better than what we got. It sounded utterly retarded, even by ME ending standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if John Jackson Miller might have been a better choice of writer for the Darth Bane trilogy. Based on the KOTOR comics and what little I've read of Knight Errant (not much, to be honest), anyway.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

I really have no idea why Mass Effect fans take it as a given that his original ending idea for Mass Effect 3 would have been some amazing storytelling work of genius, or even anything better than what we got. It sounded utterly retarded, even by ME ending standards.

What did he have in mind?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

What did he have in mind?

That the reason that Reapers kept destroying the universe was because organic life created evil "dark energy" that would cause the universe to collapse, and you would either have to let the Reapers destroy all life, or destroy the Reapers and doom the universe to be destroyed. Also Shepard was going to be revealed to have been a secret alien all along.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

That the reason that Reapers kept destroying the universe was because organic life created evil "dark energy" that would cause the universe to collapse, and you would either have to let the Reapers destroy all life, or destroy the Reapers and doom the universe to be destroyed. Also Shepard was going to be revealed to have been a secret alien all along.

Still better than the ending we got :colbert:.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Almost everything remotely interesting in Mass Effect can be attributed directly to other writers. Patrick Weekes and Chris L'etoile (among others) wrote a lot of the really beloved stuff. Patrick Weekes has a cool friend who deserves credit, but I can't remember his name.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

KildarX posted:

Still better than the ending we got :colbert:.
Not by much, but yes.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

*Speaking of Darth Plagueis, back in Star Wars Insider #130 Stover wrote a short-story tie-in for Darth Plagueis called "The Tenebrous Way", which was about Plagueis killing Tenebrous from the POV of Tenebrous. It was a cool little story that added a whole new dimension to the Plagueis-Tenebrous relationship but sadly I don't think it was ever included in any paperback reprints or anything beyond the magazine issue itself.
I found the story online and now I want a Darth Tenebrous novel. He sounds like a bad rear end Sith mathematician.

The story made me question three events in Darth Plagueis:
1. When Darth P almost gets killed by the assassins during the Order of the Canted Circle initiation - how could he get so blindsided? When Darth P's base on Sojurn gets nuked by King Veruna. Yes, he escaped, but only because Jabba told him it was coming. How could he not sense this himself? And of course when he gets killed by Sidious. It wasn't like he was totally caught by surprise. Or was he?

For a powerful Sith Lord, he didn't seem to have a lot of foresight.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

redshirt posted:

For a powerful Sith Lord, he didn't seem to have a lot of foresight. [/spoiler]

Pride goeth before the fall. Most Sith we've seen have been victims of their own lack of foresight: Maul getting arrogant and sloppy, Palpatine failing to see Vader's betrayal, Dooku failing to see Palpatine's betrayal, Revan failing to see Malak's betrayal, etc. etc.

That being said there is also precedent in the novel for Plagueis and Sidious intentionally avoiding using the Force on Coruscant, at first anyway, lest they be detected by the Jedi. At that point in the novel they hadn't yet fully revealed their presence to the Jedi -- in fact it's that very scene where Plagueis and Sidious mop up their would-be assassins with Force powers that attracts the attention of the Jedi in the first place.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Drone posted:

Pride goeth before the fall. Most Sith we've seen have been victims of their own lack of foresight: Maul getting arrogant and sloppy, Palpatine failing to see Vader's betrayal, Dooku failing to see Palpatine's betrayal, Revan failing to see Malak's betrayal, etc. etc.

That being said there is also precedent in the novel for Plagueis and Sidious intentionally avoiding using the Force on Coruscant, at first anyway, lest they be detected by the Jedi. At that point in the novel they hadn't yet fully revealed their presence to the Jedi -- in fact it's that very scene where Plagueis and Sidious mop up their would-be assassins with Force powers that attracts the attention of the Jedi in the first place.

I really liked the fact that there were groups out there willing to attack the Sith - not knowing they were Sith, of course. First the Gran, who I never knew were as nasty as presented here, and then King Veruna, which I thought was an excellent turn since Naboo is so entwined with the Sith and the events leading into the prequels, and of course the prequels themselves. It further explains the TF blockade in TPM - both Plagueis and Sidious have reason to dislike Naboo.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

redshirt posted:

I really liked the fact that there were groups out there willing to attack the Sith - not knowing they were Sith, of course. First the Gran, who I never knew were as nasty as presented here, and then King Veruna, which I thought was an excellent turn since Naboo is so entwined with the Sith and the events leading into the prequels, and of course the prequels themselves. It further explains the TF blockade in TPM - both Plagueis and Sidious have reason to dislike Naboo.

It's one of those things that makes me almost appreciate the story George Lucas -tried- to tell, and failed so spectacularly.

I mean you watch TPM and you ask "so wait, why are these guys with the racist accents blockading Space Venice again? Taxing a trade route? Um, okay, I guess."

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I was just reading some Wookiepedia and I read the funniest thing about the novelization of Revenge of the Sith.

quote:

Whether it was an intentional trick on the part of Sidious or whether Windu truly out-sparred the Sith Lord is confirmed in neither the movie nor the novel. Mace confessed, however, that Vaapad could not overpower the Sith Lord, and it was his shatterpoint ability which allowed him to gain the upper hand. In the book, Mace Windu did not kick Sidious's jaw, and he sliced the Chancellor's weapon in half rather than knocking it from his grasp. It should be noted that in actuality, this would be impossible as the casing of Palpatine's lightsaber is built out of lightsaber-resistant Phrik alloy.

When I read that, I actually twitched at the :goonsay: and heard the Comic Book Guy saying the words in my head. I also kicked myself for not noticing that before.

Edit: I didn't recognize Phrik, so I looked it up. There are too many Lightsaber-resistant materials. It cheapens the power and value that cortosis is associated with in the early EU.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 13, 2013

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, I think like, only three of them come up with any sort of regularity. I'm ok with it. Admittedly, I also am not a huge fan of the Jedi so seeing their poofy little weapons get stopped by something is a-ok with me

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

William Bear posted:

I was just reading some Wookiepedia and I read the funniest thing about the novelization of Revenge of the Sith.

When I read that, I actually twitched at the :goonsay: and heard the Comic Book Guy saying the words in my head. I also kicked myself for not noticing that before.

Edit: I didn't recognize Phrik, so I looked it up. There are too many Lightsaber-resistant materials. It cheapens the power and value that cortosis is associated with in the early EU.

Well yeah. In actuality.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I don't think it's that big of a deal, really. There are about twice as many as I remember, and only one or two of them are actually effective as weapons against a lightsaber. Most of them just slow it down.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

And of course Mandalorian iron (or should I say, "beskar", in the honorable and glorious Mandalorian language of "Mandoa") is one of those substances. I'm sure Traviss had a field day with that one.

I remember how cortosis in the first few EU books it appeared in was supposed to short-circuit a lightsaber temporarily, so the blade would go out. But I don't remember that ever happening in the KOTOR games or Jedi Academy when you fought people armed with cortosis weapons. I always thought that would be a neat game mechanic to incorporate.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
I believe one of the explanations was that pure cortosis shorts it out, alloys made of Cortosis + other crap just block it. It's incredibly inconsistent in execution though, and can range from "deactivates lightsaber, can reactivate it immediately" to "your lightsaber won't function for a while".

My favorite development in the lightsaber shut-out department is probably other Force users. One of these days someone is going to block a lightsaber with their bare hands, because we always have to escalate things.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

LightWarden posted:

My favorite development in the lightsaber shut-out department is probably other Force users. One of these days someone is going to block a lightsaber with their bare hands, because we always have to escalate things.
I refuse to believe that hasn't happened already.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Dr. Lariat posted:

It happened in, I think, one of the opening intro movies of Star Wars: The Old Republic. If I remember right, some Jedi/Sith plunges their lightsaber tip-first into someone's hands and they kindof absorb the energy like Yoda could with Force lightning.

A really dumb part in what are otherwise pretty entertaining movies.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Dr. Lariat posted:

Pretty sure Corran Horn absorbed the energy from a lightsaber blade in one of the Stackpole books, though if I remember correctly it still really screwed him up.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

William Bear posted:

Cortosis comes from 1998's, I, Jedi, but phrik predates it, originating in the greatest Star Wars games of all time, 1995's Dark Forces.

:goonsay:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

blackmongoose posted:

Pretty sure Corran Horn absorbed the energy from a lightsaber blade in one of the Stackpole books, though if I remember correctly it still really screwed him up.

Stackpole's NJO books, yeah. Though I never really read it as him absorbing the energy to the point of the blade de-activating, he just kinda very slowly eased the blade into his forearm and drew upon the energy to give him a little extra juice to be able to do some telekinesis.

All in all, pretty dumb.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

blackmongoose posted:

I just got done reading I, Jedi. Corrans ancestor Policeman Jedi, got stabbed in the gut with a light saber and drained it for energy so he could force crush a Sith guy. Policeman Jedi died shortly after.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Two questions in regards Darth Plagueis:

1. Did Sidious simply outdrink Plagueis? Did he fake drinking while Darth P. kept doing nose shots? Or did Sidious perform that Sith trick he alluded to earlier, when he would routinely prepare himself for poisoning? And if that's the case, how is this a trick Sidious knows but Plagueis does not?

2. As Sidious is killing Plagueis, he's giving him the "All your ideas were my ideas and you never had a clue you old buffoon". True? I've re-read the book looking for instances where Sidious is playing Plageuis earlier in the book, and I cannot find them. Is this a case of Sidious being delusional, or did I miss something?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

redshirt posted:

Two questions in regards Darth Plagueis:

1. Did Sidious simply outdrink Plagueis? Did he fake drinking while Darth P. kept doing nose shots? Or did Sidious perform that Sith trick he alluded to earlier, when he would routinely prepare himself for poisoning? And if that's the case, how is this a trick Sidious knows but Plagueis does not?

2. As Sidious is killing Plagueis, he's giving him the "All your ideas were my ideas and you never had a clue you old buffoon". True? I've re-read the book looking for instances where Sidious is playing Plageuis earlier in the book, and I cannot find them. Is this a case of Sidious being delusional, or did I miss something?

1.It seems to be more of a"OH poo poo Plagueis is drunk off his rear end and I'm sober, welp guess I can kill him now...

2.Could be right, after the assassination attempt there was that stretch of time where all Plagueis did was sit at home and masturbate contemplate the force

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

KildarX posted:

1.It seems to be more of a"OH poo poo Plagueis is drunk off his rear end and I'm sober, welp guess I can kill him now...

2.Could be right, after the assassination attempt there was that stretch of time where all Plagueis did was sit at home and masturbate contemplate the force

1. Well, either Palps was fake drinking, or he can handle the wine way better than Darth P. They went through 4-5 bottles and one assumes they were each drinking, not just P. gettin' slammed all by himself.

2. Maybe a bit but Sidious refers to all kinds of events outside that timeframe, even going back to early in his apprenticeship. It's either a statement of delusion or fact, but I can find no evidence of it being fact. It seems rather all the big moves were Plagueis's doing, and Sidious was more just the agent of his planning

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Unctuous Cretin posted:

Cortosis comes from 1998's, I, Jedi, but phrik predates it, originating in the greatest Star Wars games of all time, 1995's Dark Forces.

Then Zahn used it the same year in Vision of the Future. I've been going through the unabridged audiobook and it's it's pretty obvious this go through that Zahn and Stackpole compared notes. Rogue Squadron is a lot more fleshed out than in the Thrawn trilogy, and stuff from I, Jedi comes up a lot. Didn't catch that the first time.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I, Jedi and Specter/Vision were written as companion books. Other connections include Corran and Mirax deciding to have kids in IJ and them appearing in Specter/Vision, and Specter introducing the Caamas who are then elaborated on in IJ.

RoboticSpaceWizard
Nov 28, 2013

Drone posted:

It happened in, I think, one of the opening intro movies of Star Wars: The Old Republic. If I remember right, some Jedi/Sith plunges their lightsaber tip-first into someone's hands and they kindof absorb the energy like Yoda could with Force lightning.

A really dumb part in what are otherwise pretty entertaining movies.

I liked it. The Jedi blocking the lightsaber would have lost in the end anyway.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

I, Jedi and Specter/Vision were written as companion books. Other connections include Corran and Mirax deciding to have kids in IJ and them appearing in Specter/Vision, and Specter introducing the Caamas who are then elaborated on in IJ.
I got that too. I would have liked if there was some more overt poking fun at some of the other dumb EU poo poo. He's gone after Dark Empire, KJA, and the Black Fleet Crisis specifically.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Casimir Radon posted:

I got that too. I would have liked if there was some more overt poking fun at some of the other dumb EU poo poo. He's gone after Dark Empire, KJA, and the Black Fleet Crisis specifically.

It's been a while since I read it, but I think he was reasonably charitable (or, at least, not scathing) towards The New Rebellion, wasn't he?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Metal Loaf posted:

It's been a while since I read it, but I think he was reasonably charitable (or, at least, not scathing) towards The New Rebellion, wasn't he?

No. He was pretty much about as dismissive towards it as anything else.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It and the Corellian trilogy get brought up a few times to point out how the New Republic always seems to be on the verge of collapse.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

Unctuous Cretin posted:

I'm totally with you on Dark Forces being awesome, but does anyone know where it was originally stated that phrik is lightsaber-resistant? There were no lightsabers in Dark Forces, so I doubt it was there.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
And had it been the case you'd think the Emperor and Darth Vader wouldn't have spent exorbitant amounts of money to develop a line of battle droids specifically as a defense against one (1) Luke Skywalker and ... Vader himself.

Particularly as they had killed every other known Jedi without having gone quite that far.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There was a GBA game that came out in about 2002 which was about the Separatists building cortosis battle droids during the Clone Wars.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Vogon Poet posted:

I'm totally with you on Dark Forces being awesome, but does anyone know where it was originally stated that phrik is lightsaber-resistant? There were no lightsabers in Dark Forces, so I doubt it was there.

I don't think it was until after Revenge of the Sith came out, when they stated it was what Grievous's personal battle droid weapons were made from.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

A new game is coming out where you fly Star Wars ships!

ah god those Interceptors :negative:

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
IGN Re: Attack Squadrons

quote:

Disney Interactive has today revealed Star Wars: Attack Squadrons, a free-to-play space combat game for PC. Star Wars: Attack Squadrons is being developed by Area 52 Games, in conjunction with Disney Interactive and LucasArts.

Star Wars: Attack Squadrons will allow players to customize and tune “popular Star Wars ships” like X-Wings and TIE fighters and will support dogfights of up to 16 players.

Interesting

E: I assume customize and tune is code word for pay2win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
That legit looks Fun As Heck

e: I'm not even joking, I'd be fully willing to drop a fiver or something on that every month for P2W purposes. The space game was the best part of SWG to me, and if this is even half as good, I'll be happy to toss them some money.

Tumblr of scotch fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 17, 2013