Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Man, finding large sand pockets on desert world is the easiest way to mine. You just vacate huge areas that often have lots of ore, or you'll expose even more along the walls.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Bones for the bone throne!!

also beep boop son, beep boop.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It is possibly my own dumb-osity, but I seriously CAN NOT find even my STEAM APPS folder on my mac, let alone StarBound, or where I put Music .abc files.

Spotlight doesn't bring up anything...

Google says Library/Application Support/ but there is nothing related to Steam. Is it hidden or something?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
Delta Altais 2156 II a, X: 100270 Y: -49763701

Immediately to the left of the spawn here there's a Glitch tower with a king inside, underneath his throne there was a chest that contained, for me at least, rocket launcher.

You want the forest planet.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Feenix posted:

It is possibly my own dumb-osity, but I seriously CAN NOT find even my STEAM APPS folder on my mac, let alone StarBound, or where I put Music .abc files.

Google says Library/Application Support/ but there is nothing related to Steam. Is it hidden or something?

Edit: poo poo I'm retarded. I don't know macs.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Feenix posted:

Right-click Starbound in Steam. Choose Properties. Change to the Local Files tab. Click "Browse Local Files".

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Feenix posted:

No hidden folders on Mac, but be aware that there are like multiple versions of the Library folder and most people posting online won't tell you enough to know which one to look in, they just see LIBRARY as a parent folder and they're like "LOOK IN LIBRARY :downs:". There's your System library that you can access from the Mac HD, and then there's a specific User library that you can access from your HD/Users/[username]/ folder. I think steamapps appears in the User one, but check both just in case.

v Oh maybe check for like a Application Support/valve folder or something, you can never tell. There's some SNES emulator on Mac that paths in App Support as, like, /Library/Application Support/[the name of the motherfucking developer]/ThisOneSNESEmulator/. Mac OS's Library can get stupidly nebulous.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 12, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The White Dragon posted:

No hidden folders on Mac, but be aware that there are like multiple versions of the Library folder. There's your System library that you can access from the Mac HD, and then there's a specific User library that you can access from your HD/Users/[username]/ folder. I think steamapps appears in the User one, but check both just in case.

It's in neither, actually.

Gonna try what Gibbed said. :)

[ed] Gibbed, that worked!

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Welp, my first real crash - during a save at the bottom of a giant planet.

code:
---------------------------
Error
Access violation detected at 0x5303ae1a (Read of address 0x7b8fb758)
OK   

Stack Trace
Stack Trace...
  007D86F0 (C:/starbound/source/core/StarSignalHandler_windows.cpp:16)
  5303AE1A
  5303B441
  004D3F64 (C:/starbound/source/graphics/StarRenderer_direct3d.cpp:303)
  009F3D86 (C:/starbound/source/graphics/StarRenderer.hpp:319)
  0044C185 (C:/starbound/source/frontend/StarEnvironmentPainter.cpp:49)
  00419CF8 (C:/starbound/source/frontend/StarTitle.cpp:44)
  0040382B (C:/starbound/source/client/StarClientApplication.cpp:713)
  0040A2EE (C:/starbound/source/application/StarApplicationBase.cpp:230)
  00407C7F (C:/starbound/source/client/main.cpp:49)
  004DB911 (c:\SDL-1.2.15/./src/main/win32/SDL_win32_main.c:318)
OK   

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

OK   
Seems like no adverse effect on the save though.

That Guy from Tech
Aug 13, 2011

Yeah I'll fix your computer... After this heroic...
So, how do you progress past the robot boss? I've beaten him and made the robotic crafting table, but I didn't notice any new recipes or anything.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

That Guy from Tech posted:

So, how do you progress past the robot boss? I've beaten him and made the robotic crafting table, but I didn't notice any new recipes or anything.

Make a robo crafting table and use that to make your next star chart.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Mezzanine posted:

Something I hope will be in the final product: civilization.

There's already enough materials to make convincing looking buildings with gadgets and stuff for flavor. Why not have some populated planets, like, with big cities instead of just isolated settlements that you can loot and pillage? Big cities, with transportation things like moving mass transit or, since this is very futuristic, linked teleporters that beam you to other parts of the city?

I love the idea of a lone space madness-crazed miner beaming down to a populated, peaceful planet and just stealing the city out from under them.

That Guy from Tech
Aug 13, 2011

Yeah I'll fix your computer... After this heroic...

Pesterchum posted:

Make a robo crafting table and use that to make your next star chart.

Ah alright, I must have not noticed it. I'll try looking again!

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Found a planet called Alpha Eps Cep 738 II (the snow one) that has a Prison base to the left and if you dig under the base into the caverns there are a TON of diamonds around. And a frog merchant who reminds me of getout frog's grandpa or something.

Coords:
X: 74786643 Y: 30234557

Edit: I should mention this is an Alpha quadrant planet. With diamonds. Enjoy.

Thronde fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 12, 2013

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Found a planet with a pretty massive bird city on it. Pile of merchants, lots of storage crates. They have some blue prints and decent weaponry. Got a pair of 9 DPS 1 hand daggers.

Alpha 22765084, 90239497. Alpha Leela Minoris I. I found it going pretty drat far left.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

I randomed the name Apedrinker for my floran.

There is an Apex city on my starting planet.

COINCIDENCE???

Where exactly are you drinking from?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
So I just got home from work and the game is downloading another half-a-gig patch. Is there a place I can keep up with what these patches are? Steam forums certainly aren't the place.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rocketlex posted:

So I just got home from work and the game is downloading another half-a-gig patch. Is there a place I can keep up with what these patches are? Steam forums certainly aren't the place.

http://playstarbound.com/

Patch notes are posted on the front page.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Tagichatn posted:

Where exactly are you drinking from?
It's a Floran, so I assume he melts/blends them down into slurry and just drinks that.
Use every part of the animal and all that.

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

Rocketlex posted:

playstarbound.com has the patch notes for the last few on the front page.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

http://playstarbound.com/

Patch notes are posted on the front page.

Ah thanks. Why did I not think to look at the game's actual website?

EDIT: I see one of the new statuses is a "Melting" status effect applied to lava. I assume this is the status effect applied to creatures entering lava, right? :supaburn:

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 12, 2013

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Oh OK. After that 11 Kb patch I can't load into the main menu anymore. It just hangs on the loading screen. Anyone have a fix for this? What did it change?

Edit: OK, it randomly works now. ~beta~

ShadowMar fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 12, 2013

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Seems like it sometimes has to rebuild something or other and does that during the load till title screen. Most issues with not loading can be fixed by just waiting a bit.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Man, finding large sand pockets on desert world is the easiest way to mine. You just vacate huge areas that often have lots of ore, or you'll expose even more along the walls.

I get far more enjoyment watching massive piles of sand and gravel collapse than I probably should

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Underwhelmed posted:

I get far more enjoyment watching massive piles of sand and gravel collapse than I probably should

I appreciate that it doesn't hurt you like it does in Terraria.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Rocketlex posted:

EDIT: I see one of the new statuses is a "Melting" status effect applied to lava. I assume this is the status effect applied to creatures entering lava, right? :supaburn:

Yeah, now lava is actually dangerous instead of just dealing 3 burn damage every second.

Hopefully melting doesn't last too long after leaving it, though, considering that natural lava pools in huge caverns are a thing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rocketlex posted:

I appreciate that it doesn't hurt you like it does in Terraria.
It will, however, drown you if you get buried under it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Okay, so.. this new update. I host a multiplayer server, how do I have the game update the server to the latest patch so we don't have to fear birds anymore?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uuuuugh, why do those sawblades only hurt meeeee?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Are the devs aware that a pause button would be really, really nice to have?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

SynthOrange posted:

Uuuuugh, why do those sawblades only hurt meeeee?

Devs have said they'll hurt enemies as soon as they make them harder to abuse.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
What's the earliest someone's found a mech? I've only heard people mention X sectors so far. Surely it's hidden somewhere in the Alpha/Beta sectors too and my searches are not in vain. :(

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Did the new patch make it so you can't use mods in multi-player?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Mozi posted:

Are the devs aware that a pause button would be really, really nice to have?

Yes. It was brought up in that twitch stream tonight and they seemed to be open to it, at least for single player. I think it's just not high-priority right now.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Rocketlex posted:

Devs have said they'll hurt enemies as soon as they make them harder to abuse.

What happened with dungeons being unbreakable until a condition is met, anyway.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Yeah, now lava is actually dangerous instead of just dealing 3 burn damage every second.

Hopefully melting doesn't last too long after leaving it, though, considering that natural lava pools in huge caverns are a thing.

It's a debuff that deals 800 damage, last I heard.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

qnqnx posted:

What happened with dungeons being unbreakable until a condition is met, anyway.

I think they said that it would eventually be in, just not at first. You can tell that some of the dungeons are made with that in mind, specifically the Apex jumping puzzles.

2 Track EP
May 29, 2009
I think defending victims of child rape is tumblr SJW PC extremism. Kids lie about being raped all the time, I know because I work with them.
I just found a sniper rifle that shoots bullets that barely move at all for a second and a half, then fly forward at normal bullet speed :psyduck:

Springly
Dec 10, 2011

I finally figured out where the ore probabilities are if anyone wants to change something. I doubled coal because gently caress that. Originally it was the same probability as copper? Why?

Here:

...\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\biomes\oredistributions.configfunctions

code:
[0.5, [ [ "coal", change this, 
Change it through all the columns that you want. Don't go too outrageous maybe because I think it stops other stuff spawning and gives you an all-coal planet. You might need to travel to a new planet to generate it and see the difference though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

2 Track EP posted:

I just found a sniper rifle that shoots bullets that barely move at all for a second and a half, then fly forward at normal bullet speed :psyduck:

"Bullet Time"

• Locked thread