Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It's kind of amazing how powerful gauntlets of ogre power and giant strength belts are, you can turn basically any non-mage from zero to frontline hero with them.
Except she's still a 1 attack per round character. She's poo poo on the front line. You can layer her with every single cleric buff that people talk about but it's still 1 attack per round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Rascyc posted:

Except she's still a 1 attack per round character. She's poo poo on the front line. You can layer her with every single cleric buff that people talk about but it's still 1 attack per round.

She would get two with dual wield. Too bad there aren't any blunt weapons that add extra attacks per round like Belm or Scarlet Ninja-to.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Rascyc posted:

Anomen has an advantage compared to Viconia in that respect. Since he's a dual-classed Fighter/Cleric, he gets an extra half attack from his fighter levels and since he can get grandmastery in a weapon and thus (at least in the EE which restores the old version) get extra attacks from there as well.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The scene towards the end of BG1 still makes me laugh just for the visual. "Let us introduce the new Grand Duke, the nine foot tall demon in spikey armor." "Thank you, I am honored..."

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Rascyc posted:

Haste and dual-wield motherfucker. poo poo gets stoved.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Factor_VIII posted:

Anomen has an advantage compared to Viconia in that respect. Since he's a dual-classed Fighter/Cleric, he gets an extra half attack from his fighter levels and since he can get grandmastery in a weapon and thus (at least in the EE which restores the old version) get extra attacks from there as well.
Yeah, Anomen supremacy!

I only like Viconia for MR gimmicky builds.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

DeathChicken posted:

The scene towards the end of BG1 still makes me laugh just for the visual. "Let us introduce the new Grand Duke, the nine foot tall demon in spikey armor." "Thank you, I am honored..."

Woah demon? Is this because Sarevok is black? :colbert:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Rascyc posted:

Yeah, Anomen supremacy!

I only like Viconia for MR gimmicky builds.

I like Viconia for being the only cleric in this game that isn't excruciatingly annoying.

I guess Branwen isn't bad, if bland. Too bad she's not in vanilla BG2.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Excelzior posted:

I like Viconia for being the only cleric in this game that isn't excruciatingly annoying.

If you're a half orc, the master race, Aerie won't try to romance you and thus ceases to be annoying.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

What ever happens to Aerie's baby while you tool around? I never did the romance.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Decrepus posted:

What ever happens to Aerie's baby while you tool around? I never did the romance.
From what I've gathered from these threads, people just toss it into a bag of holding and promptly forget about its existence.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Excelzior posted:

Rascyc posted:

Yeah, Anomen supremacy!

Branwen was my "tank" cleric in BG1, though she isn't really that heavy, she just has a slightly better STR and a much better con than Viconia, but not nearly the dex so I'm not sure how much it matters in the long run. In my recent BG1EE run I had the Gauntlets on Vic and the "cursed" belt on Jaheira until my blade got up a few levels, then I swapped. It was a tough choice... my blade was a much better ranged attacker than her, but he was tougher in melee as well so there was nobody who was clearly better in every respect. I used the tweak that puts Viconia's wisdom back to 18, though, so it seemed smarter to make her a caster on the back line with Coran the archer and Baeloth, with my blade, Dorn and Jaheira taking the hits. Once I got the Str tome and my blade went from 18 to 19 Str, it was kind of a no-brainer.

Anomen, well, yeah, he's built by the game very similarly to how a human player would build a dual-class fighter-cleric as a main PC... minus the ridiculous stats that were the result of 20 minutes and about 800 rerolls.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Factor_VIII posted:

From what I've gathered from these threads, people just toss it into a bag of holding and promptly forget about its existence.

Or you can let the romance progress to the point where she has the dialog about the baby being born, then send her packing. It's a particularly evil and mean-spirited dialog. :devil:

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Dillbag posted:

Or you can let the romance progress to the point where she has the dialog about the baby being born, then send her packing. It's a particularly evil and mean-spirited dialog. :devil:
She took it pretty well, all things considered:

quote:

Aerie: My love, have you had a chance to think about our little secret? My... condition?
PC: I have Aerie. There is much we need to discuss.
Aerie: This child will change our lives completely, my love. And the lives of those who would adventure with us on this quest you have undertaken.
PC: It won't change my life... I want nothing to do with this kid.
Aerie: <CHARNAME>! You would turn your back on your own flesh and blood? You would abandon me and our child?
PC: My father abandoned me, and I got by just fine. / This isn't my problem... I'm not the one who's pregnant.
Aerie: You... you are a monster! A cruel, heartless monster! I can't stay here... I won't let my child be poisoned by your evil! I hope you burn in the Abyss, <CHARNAME>!

Factor_VIII fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 12, 2013

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

By the way, Aerie sure has anger management issues:

quote:

Haer'dalis: Aerie, my dove...are you well?
Aerie: I've... I've just been thinking. About all this death, all these horrifying things Irenicus has done. He actually stole a soul and... and all these people died for nothing... And for what? Some 'vengeance' that Irenicus wants! For that he throws people aside like mere objects?! I...I cannot believe that such evil is allowed to exist! Haer'dalis! We must scour the face of Faerun of such foulness! The very stink of it clogs my every breath! No mercy! No mercy must be shown to such evil!! And you, <CHARNAME>...I now see much of the same mark of evil in you. I will watch you carefully. You have earned my respect, but I will not tolerate the callousness I see in you any longer.
Haer'dalis: Aye, my love! 'Tis grand to see you transformed into a maiden of destruction! Turned from innocent chrysalis into entropic moth! I hail your arrival!
Aerie: I am not here to destroy, Haer'dalis! I want to stop Irenicus! I wish to fight against evil that exists in this world! I will not sit idly by and be pathetic! I have paid too much attention to my own sorrows and experiences...and not enough to the evil that has surrounded me!
Haer'dalis: Speak as you will, my love, but you serve entropy, nevertheless. Your innocence has faded, as it should, and you have become a maiden who shall bring the end of others...my philosophy proven!
Aerie: I don't care a whit for your philosophy, Haer'dalis! I am so full of anger that I cannot control it...and this callous evil that I see, it will pay!
Haer'dalis: As I said, my dove...and pleased I am to see it.
Aerie: Well, I am not pleased! And it is obvious that you do not really care for me, after all! We are through, you and I!
Haer'dalis: Again, a natural end that has come...no less than expected, though I'll mourn its passing.
Aerie: So be it! Come, then, <CHARNAME>...let us go and complete your quest. I shall fight by your side until this is over...and then I shall make my own way in the world for once.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Can't win when she's romanced, can't win when she's self-actualized ("anger management issues"). Aerie's plight.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

To be fair Aerie's hook up with Haer'dalis is a really bad idea from the get go. They have completely different views of the world. She's naive enough to think he's free spirited when he's actually just a nihilist.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

maev posted:

Haste and dual-wield motherfucker. poo poo gets stoved.

Even with Improved Haste, Viconia still ever only gets 2 MH/2 OH APR, which makes her a garbage choice compared to...well, literally anyone who gets more than 1 APR base.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

John McCain posted:

Even with Improved Haste, Viconia still ever only gets 2 MH/2 OH APR, which makes her a garbage choice compared to...well, literally anyone who gets more than 1 APR base.

It gets even worse into ToB when actual warrior types start rolling out Greater Whirlwinds to make every non-warrior class look like complete horse poo poo in melee combat. You can't really do a really good battle cleric in BG2 unless you're a multi or dual class.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

caleramaen posted:

To be fair Aerie's hook up with Haer'dalis is a really bad idea from the get go. They have completely different views of the world. She's naive enough to think he's free spirited when he's actually just a nihilist.

That is the funny thing about Haer'Dalis. It's easy to mistake him for a free wheeling "nice guy" (much like Aerie herself does) but he's kind of a tremendous rear end in a top hat when you dig even a little.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Are there any tweaks to BG1/2 that increase the speed of trap detection? I just don't have the patience for creeping forward anymore, even when I already know where most of them are located.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Detect Traps seems to...er, detect traps way the hell faster than a thief with 100 in detection. I generally threw it up, sent Viconia out to scout and then sent Imoen in to disarm them. Or just abused quick saves and plowed through them to tell where they were. :v:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Kanos posted:

It gets even worse into ToB when actual warrior types start rolling out Greater Whirlwinds to make every non-warrior class look like complete horse poo poo in melee combat. You can't really do a really good battle cleric in BG2 unless you're a multi or dual class.
Greater Whirlwind is mediocre though compared to Improved Critical. Just substitute improved haste instead for double APR. Even if the target is immune to criticals, you are still rolling perfect 20s for the hit roll anyway.

JustJeff88 posted:

Branwen was my "tank" cleric in BG1, though she isn't really that heavy, she just has a slightly better STR and a much better con than Viconia, but not nearly the dex so I'm not sure how much it matters in the long run. In my recent BG1EE run I had the Gauntlets on Vic and the "cursed" belt on Jaheira until my blade got up a few levels, then I swapped.
I vastly prefer Yeslick when it comes to BG1 clerics, but Viconia isn't shabby in BG1 when you can actually make use of all her heal spells. The ring that gives clerics a bonus slot up to level 4 or whatever is really useful.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Are there any tweaks to BG1/2 that increase the speed of trap detection? I just don't have the patience for creeping forward anymore, even when I already know where most of them are located.
Increasing frame rate should increase the round speed, and thus the frequency of the trap detection pulse.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I forgot about Yeslick. I actually really like him, but during that run I was all about single-class clerics as my party had plenty of melee fighters and having two classes slows down spell progression. That's why I like Anomen in BG2 even though he starts as a prat and can remain so forever depending on how things play out - he has a good number of fighter levels to make him a better fighter, can benefit from more proficiency pips, and after that he just matures as a cleric getting more and better spells at a steady rate and good HLAs

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Detect Traps seems to...er, detect traps way the hell faster than a thief with 100 in detection. I generally threw it up, sent Viconia out to scout and then sent Imoen in to disarm them. Or just abused quick saves and plowed through them to tell where they were. :v:

Oh right, I shuld really just abuse that spell. Not like there's many other cleric spells worth casting at level 2 anyways.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Barkskin

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Oh right, I shuld really just abuse that spell. Not like there's many other cleric spells worth casting at level 2 anyways.
Slow Poison, Hold Person, Chant...

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Slow Poison, Hold Person, Chant...

I keep a couple slow poisons and chant handy at all times, but I've always found hold person to be one of the more underwhelming AOE disablers. It has a short range and has to target a unit, making it a crappy spell to open a fight with. Long casting time makes it a risky choice for ambush situations too. So long as there's a mage with glitterdust memorized, hold person is superfluous.

I still cast it sometimes because hey, there's lots of slots at level 2 even in BG1, but it's seldom been much help.

Edit:

This spell is kinda silly. The AC bonus scales extremely slowly compared to the rate at which magical equipment is rewarded, so the only class that can benefit from it is mages. Even then, an archmages robe provides more AC up until the cleric caster is level 12. +1 to save is OK, except the bonus is added to everything except save vs spell, one of the most important saves.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 12, 2013

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
I think by far the best thing about BG2 is that you start fighting cool monsters - Beholders, Illithids, Drow, Dragons, etc.

Baldurs Gate may as well be called: The Great Bandit Quest (with Spiders too!).

Ankhegs were the Dragons of that game. :colbert:

^^

I dunno, especially with Doom or just some luck, it's a pretty good save-or-else spell for a level that doesn't have much anyway. It sucks when it doesn't go off, but it's game over for any character it lands on.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Alright, for IWD2, how do you get the unsupported resolutions to work with windowed mode? Even though my screen's big enough for the 1600x1200 option, I can only use the miniscule 1024x768 one apparently, which is way too small. I don't need widescreen since I prefer to play windowed, but this is too tiny for me.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
My brother and I have been playing through BG2EE using only a wild mage each, no pausing. This image is representative of 95% of the time spent so far:

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Insurrectionist posted:

Alright, for IWD2, how do you get the unsupported resolutions to work with windowed mode? Even though my screen's big enough for the 1600x1200 option, I can only use the miniscule 1024x768 one apparently, which is way too small. I don't need widescreen since I prefer to play windowed, but this is too tiny for me.

I'm reasonably sure you can still use the widescreen mod to set your resolution to anything you want, not just a widescreen resolution: http://www.gibberlings3.net/widescreen/

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

oswald ownenstein posted:

I think by far the best thing about BG2 is that you start fighting cool monsters - Beholders, Illithids, Drow, Dragons, etc.

Baldurs Gate may as well be called: The Great Bandit Quest (with Spiders too!).

Ankhegs were the Dragons of that game. :colbert:

I remember as a lad being horrified by the fact that if an ankheg spit at someone at range and you moved that character, the acid spit would follow that character. I didn't seem to make the link that it was an RPG determined by random numbers and not a shooter determined by virtual physics.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

I keep a couple slow poisons and chant handy at all times, but I've always found hold person to be one of the more underwhelming AOE disablers. It has a short range and has to target a unit, making it a crappy spell to open a fight with. Long casting time makes it a risky choice for ambush situations too. So long as there's a mage with glitterdust memorized, hold person is superfluous.

I still cast it sometimes because hey, there's lots of slots at level 2 even in BG1, but it's seldom been much help.

Edit:

This spell is kinda silly. The AC bonus scales extremely slowly compared to the rate at which magical equipment is rewarded, so the only class that can benefit from it is mages. Even then, an archmages robe provides more AC up until the cleric caster is level 12. +1 to save is OK, except the bonus is added to everything except save vs spell, one of the most important saves.
Agreed but both hold person and barkskin have their places in BG1. In BG2 I definitely agree 100%.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
While doing an ironman run with my wizard slayer I've found something odd, I'm at the start of ToB at level cap 40, and my base magic resistance is 84% but the kit description says it should be 1% per level. Is this how it's supposed to work? I'm playing the bg2 complete version from GoG.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 12, 2013

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Captain Oblivious posted:

That is the funny thing about Haer'Dalis. It's easy to mistake him for a free wheeling "nice guy" (much like Aerie herself does) but he's kind of a tremendous rear end in a top hat when you dig even a little.

Not to start the alignment discussion for the 800th time, but I really appreciate that, and it's what I feel helps really make him a great Chaotic Neutral character.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Angry Lobster posted:

While doing an ironman run with my wizard slayer I've found something odd, I'm at the start of ToB at level cap 40, and my base magic resistance is 84% but the kit description says it should be 1% per level. Is this how it's supposed to work? I'm playing the bg2 complete version from GoG.

Its kind of weird but ToB changes the formula from regular SoA . The base MR gain is actually 2% per level but with the expansion installed at level 20 it starts alternating between 5% per level and 1% per level instead. So 84% at level 40 is correct.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

voltron lion force posted:

Its kind of weird but ToB changes the formula from regular SoA . The base MR gain is actually 2% per level but with the expansion installed at level 20 it starts alternating between 5% per level and 1% per level instead. So 84% at level 40 is correct.

I see, so at least the magic resistance turned to be far better than I expected. Thank you for your help.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Actually one of the main reasons they're considered even good despite the drawbacks. It's very easy to cap magic resistance with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lordpen
Jul 14, 2004

Rascyc posted:

Actually one of the main reasons they're considered even good despite the drawbacks. It's very easy to cap magic resistance with them.

I thought of a build with one using the soul reaver +4, that removes 2 thaco on every hit. Greater whirlwind fools for 100% cast failure and no thaco, profit?

Never did bother though.