Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
walking
Nov 27, 2013

Obdicut posted:

building a giant fire next to the walls

How does that work as a siege weapon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

walking posted:

If I recall correctly, it weakens the wall by drying out any mortar(?) and making any stone that have water in them crack.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Vinegar or piss + heat will make some kinds of stone shatter.

Depending on the stone, it'll get brittle under heat; sandstone, for instance, crumbles above about 900 degrees. That was what happened to the Dresdner Frauenkirche, which was never directly damaged.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

veekie posted:

Could be to supplement ladder assaults maybe? Establish an alternate route up the walls that weren't as easy to remove as ladders, and more portable than siege towers.
I'd bet until people could just blow the walls away, just about anything that could make a siege easier to break was attempted, however ridiculous it seemed.

Not as easy to remove? Tar, oil, water, rocks, arrows...

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 675 days!)

Don't forget about pigs!

Griz
May 21, 2001

Obdicut posted:

It doesn't seem like the kind of technique you'd really have to export guys for, or that would be hard to come up with on your own. I also don't know that I've ever heard of this in any source--wouldn't it be defeated by having a simple overhang?

If most of your army comes from a flat country, you're not going to have many expert rock climbers available for that sort of thing. Why spend years training your own wall-climbers for a suicide mission when you can just hire a bunch of mercenaries from a mountainous region who already have years of experience climbing sheer cliffs to collect eggs from bird nests or whatever?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Griz posted:

If most of your army comes from a flat country, you're not going to have many expert rock climbers available for that sort of thing. Why spend years training your own wall-climbers for a suicide mission when you can just hire a bunch of mercenaries from a mountainous region who already have years of experience climbing sheer cliffs to collect eggs from bird nests or whatever?

But why do the wall-climbing thing at all? If you run into a wall that has the wrong kind of mortar and stones, you're screwed, if you run into one with an overhang, you're screwed, and I don't see how it's at all superior to ladders.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Obdicut posted:

But why do the wall-climbing thing at all? If you run into a wall that has the wrong kind of mortar and stones, you're screwed, if you run into one with an overhang, you're screwed, and I don't see how it's at all superior to ladders.

A few guys with rope ladders and hammers are less obvious and faster moving than a lot of guys hauling a giant ladder, and a rope nailed to the wall would be a lot harder to completely remove from above than a ladder where you can just shove it off with a long pole.

Also if the castle/city walls are built into the local terrain, there's probably at least one spot where the architect didn't bother with the full overhang and murder holes setup because they thought being on top of a huge vertical cliff would be good enough.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Griz posted:

A few guys with rope ladders and hammers are less obvious and faster moving than a lot of guys hauling a giant ladder, and a rope nailed to the wall would be a lot harder to completely remove from above than a ladder where you can just shove it off with a long pole.

I'm pouring pitch on your ropes and lighting you on fire. Enjoy. It's also really not that inconspicuous...the defenders are actively looking for people running at the walls, because engineers with explosives or fire are dangerous, and they don't move in large groups carrying ladders.

Griz posted:

Also if the castle/city walls are built into the local terrain, there's probably at least one spot where the architect didn't bother with the full overhang and murder holes setup because they thought being on top of a huge vertical cliff would be good enough.

A lot of Europe doesn't have terrain like that. And I can't think of a single example, outside of movies, where someone gained control of a castle by doing that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Let us not forget the guy who got into a castle by climbing up the latrine pipe. I forget who but it was in that book Castle!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

Don't forget about pigs!

Look dude, we all remember your mother.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

Frostwerks posted:

Look dude, we all remember your mother.

And she remembers you, freak.

Anyway earlier in the thread we were talking about awesome dumb medieval movies and I brought up Ironclad and the scene where King John herds a bunch of live pigs under a castle and sets them on fire. The heat from their burning fat cracks the foundation and it collapses.

The movie is generally not even a little historically accurate but Railtus chimed in to say that yeah King John specifically requested pigs for that stated purpose for that siege but whether the pigs were alive when he set them on fire is unknown. Or something to that effect.

Pretty freakin :black101: either way

Oh yeah Railtus did you ever watch that show Vikings?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

a travelling HEGEL posted:

Vinegar or piss + heat will make some kinds of stone shatter.

Depending on the stone, it'll get brittle under heat; sandstone, for instance, crumbles above about 900 degrees. That was what happened to the Dresdner Frauenkirche, which was never directly damaged.

Timur had fires set up to a city's wall (can't recall which one. Damascus?) and rapidly cooled the stone by having the men pour vinegar on it.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Godholio posted:

I'm pouring pitch on your ropes and lighting you on fire. Enjoy. It's also really not that inconspicuous...the defenders are actively looking for people running at the walls, because engineers with explosives or fire are dangerous, and they don't move in large groups carrying ladders.

Probably, yeah, but if the walls are poorly manned, or not as well designed(designing overhangs and such take money after all), it might grant a small advantage. If they're attacking chinese cities, a fortified city can't have the same kind of defensive depth as a proper castle, partly due to the sheer area covered, and partly due to the accessibility needs for non-wartime use. And really, there is simply no easy way to assault a well built, supplied and manned fortification.

That's kind of the whole point of fortifications.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

Godholio posted:

A lot of Europe doesn't have terrain like that. And I can't think of a single example, outside of movies, where someone gained control of a castle by doing that.

There's Alexander's siege of the Sogdian Rock. But then it's a story about Alexander the Great so it has a high likelihood of being made up.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Griz posted:

I don't think that climbing a wall while hammering in staples or whatever is actually faster. And you can get the same 'hard-to-shove' effect but just using a ladder that doesn't quite go all the way to the top. Also, climbing ropes or rope ladders that are hard up against the face of a wall would completely suck if there was anyone else climbing it at the same time.

Is there any actual evidence of this ever happening? What I'm familiar with is that with very small walls, grappling hooks would be thrown over so people could swarm up, but that's more 'Vikings attacking a coastal town', not 'army attacking a big gently caress-off castle'.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Obdicut posted:

I don't think that climbing a wall while hammering in staples or whatever is actually faster. And you can get the same 'hard-to-shove' effect but just using a ladder that doesn't quite go all the way to the top. Also, climbing ropes or rope ladders that are hard up against the face of a wall would completely suck if there was anyone else climbing it at the same time.

Is there any actual evidence of this ever happening? What I'm familiar with is that with very small walls, grappling hooks would be thrown over so people could swarm up, but that's more 'Vikings attacking a coastal town', not 'army attacking a big gently caress-off castle'.

It's mentioned in the context of attacking Chinese fortified cities.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

veekie posted:

It's mentioned in the context of attacking Chinese fortified cities.

Mentioned where?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Existing Chinese fortifications are bit less steep and tall than European castles. Climbing them isn't far-fetched, but they are Ming-dynasty constructions, so I don't know if the Mongols encountered similar walls. Also, the wall-climbers are, so far, completely unsourced.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

walking posted:

Sorry, I missed this. Other people have covered it already, but there are some forms of stone and/or mortar that are vulnerable to heat, and what they're hoping for is that the wall shifts and sags or that some stones crack. In addition, it drives the defenders away from that part of the walls so you can build up close to them, start a tunnel, etc. Finally, many castles had wooden brattices built out from the top to cover dead spots revealed only after the castle was built, so obviously setting fire to that is good for you.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Obdicut posted:

Mentioned where?

Earlier in the thread, where it was said that the mongols hired siege engineers and climbers to invade china.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Chinese were big on rammed earth fortifications since they were cheap if you had corvee labor and good enough for a lot of situations. That's why a lot of the great wall in the west is a crumbling pile of dirt, it was always a pile of dirt. Much easier to climb than cut and mortared stone.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

veekie posted:

Earlier in the thread, where it was said that the mongols hired siege engineers and climbers to invade china.

No, I meant, what is the source you got this information from?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Fizzil posted:

A person, usually hammering in nails fastened to a rope to create some sort of ladder of sorts so the other troops can climb it as well.

Its a little bit more complicated too, I kind of remember my "source" now, it was a discussion i had with a friend of mine from China and i'm guessing he quoted a chinese source most likely, two things stood out, the climbers and the "Hui Hui Poi" (which is apparently the chinese word for Muslim Cannon), so if anyone with english sources could sort of dig and find out anything that would be cool.

This here post?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Youse guys are being reeaaal difficult

quote:

The Chinese were big on rammed earth fortifications since they were cheap if you had corvee labor and good enough for a lot of situations. That's why a lot of the great wall in the west is a crumbling pile of dirt, it was always a pile of dirt. Much easier to climb than cut and mortared stone.

Did they always face walls with stone or brick or were they sometimes built without such additions? I've heard of some cities in China and south east asia that only used earth ramparts topped with dense bamboo stands, though such fortifications are probably more about regulating the flow of regular citizens then holding off armies.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 13, 2013

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
I've just recently realized how widespread and popular cloth armors were. But how good were they at protecting against swords and arrows?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Squalid posted:

Youse guys are being reeaaal difficult

Did they always face walls with stone or brick or were they sometimes built without such additions? I've heard of some cities in China and south east asia that only used earth ramparts topped with dense bamboo stands, though such fortifications are probably more about regulating the flow of regular citizens then holding off armies.

They did not, although rammed earth is like brick in some ways. That's the rammed part. You squash earth into forms and then ram it to compress it into something that's structurally useful. It's like brick without the fuel and time input. And less strong obviously. Then you build a wall out of it.

I think people sometimes confuse earth fortifications with other earthen constructions or with ruined earth fortifications. Rammed earth walls can be fairly shear but it doesn't age well. That's why the earth fortifications you see are all slumped into long berms. They would not have looked like that or been very useful in their design lifetime. It doesn't help that berms are also useful, so an earthen berm and an earthen wall are hard to tell apart 1000 years later and you rarely have any contemporary account of what this thing war supposed to be. So they get conflated.

Like European earth fortifications rammed earth walls were an early and unsophisticated form and while they persisted from early antiquity to the middle ages they were a cheap and dirty alternative by the Tang dynasty. The Ming era walls which are the earliest fortifications that remain in anything like good condition in China date from the 14th to 16th century and are all terribly practical and boring brick/cut stone facing over rubble cores. Exactly what you'd find anywhere else in the middle ages.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 13, 2013

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Hogge Wild posted:

I've just recently realized how widespread and popular cloth armors were. But how good were they at protecting against swords and arrows?

Someone linked a really informative video on this topic earlier in the thread but I'll be damned if I can remember who it was, and I don't much fancy trawling pages of discussion to find it.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Hogge Wild posted:

Here is a really good hands-on test/review (that I believe is what RabidWeasel was referencing from earlier in the thread) of a variety of cloth armor thicknesses (along with some maille testing). Really fascinating how effective against cuts cloth armors were.

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=11131

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

Tons of videos and pictures of people testing weapons against chainmail, but are there any videos of silk cloth trapping arrows?

Youtube gives me nothing.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.
Can anyone recommend me a good history of the crusades? How highly regarded is Runciman's work these days?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

They did not, although rammed earth is like brick in some ways. That's the rammed part. You squash earth into forms and then ram it to compress it into something that's structurally useful. It's like brick without the fuel and time input. And less strong obviously. Then you build a wall out of it.

I think people sometimes confuse earth fortifications with other earthen constructions or with ruined earth fortifications. Rammed earth walls can be fairly shear but it doesn't age well. That's why the earth fortifications you see are all slumped into long berms. They would not have looked like that or been very useful in their design lifetime. It doesn't help that berms are also useful, so an earthen berm and an earthen wall are hard to tell apart 1000 years later and you rarely have any contemporary account of what this thing war supposed to be. So they get conflated.

Like European earth fortifications rammed earth walls were an early and unsophisticated form and while they persisted from early antiquity to the middle ages they were a cheap and dirty alternative by the Tang dynasty. The Ming era walls which are the earliest fortifications that remain in anything like good condition in China date from the 14th to 16th century and are all terribly practical and boring brick/cut stone facing over rubble cores. Exactly what you'd find anywhere else in the middle ages.

woah, apparently I didn't actually know what rammed earth was. Stuff looks really cool, almost like natural shale.

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

Tons of videos and pictures of people testing weapons against chainmail, but are there any videos of silk cloth trapping arrows?

Youtube gives me nothing.

That'd be interesting. Personally, I want to see somebody test the protection offered by this:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

DandyLion posted:

Here is a really good hands-on test/review (that I believe is what RabidWeasel was referencing from earlier in the thread) of a variety of cloth armor thicknesses (along with some maille testing). Really fascinating how effective against cuts cloth armors were.

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=11131

Interesting test, pity that they used modern target practice arrows.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

Squalid posted:

That'd be interesting. Personally, I want to see somebody test the protection offered by this:

Is that a durian helmet?

e: no wait i see the fins. wow.

Cacotopic Stain
Jun 25, 2013
For weapons like the kanabo and scythe were they ever used in battle or is that just the stuff of fiction and legends? Also what books are good for giving some of the more unique weapons like the khanda or the urumi the spotlight?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Squalid posted:

woah, apparently I didn't actually know what rammed earth was. Stuff looks really cool, almost like natural shale.

Highly effective against any or all of the Three Stooges.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Cacotopic Stain posted:

For weapons like the kanabo and scythe were they ever used in battle or is that just the stuff of fiction and legends? Also what books are good for giving some of the more unique weapons like the khanda or the urumi the spotlight?

War scythes were used.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Looks a bit more like a naginata than a scythe, but that makes sense too.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

veekie posted:

Unmodified scythes make pretty terrible weapons. At the very least, there's no advantage to having the blade at a right angle to the haft, and thus no reason to do it.

I don't know how big a kanabo is, or whether they were actually used, but it's essentially a two-handed club, right? That one is probably more plausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

veekie posted:

Naginata is sharpened on the other side.

• Locked thread