Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Give us Harley Quinn, Arrow.

e: Really just give us the whole Suicide Squad come on now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just watched it, not going to lie. I'm tenting a little bit.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Holy poo poo.

Holy poo poo.

Man this season is just firing on all cylinders. How can they top this episode? How can they even top this season? :ohdear:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Deadpool posted:

How in the hell are they ever gonna top this episode?

Flash! ah-ahh!
He'll save everyone of us!

This was seriously amazing. I am super stoked for the new flash series, I hope it rocks as hard as Arrow.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

King Burgundy posted:

Flash! ah-ahh!
He'll save everyone of us!

This was seriously amazing. I am super stoked for the new flash series, I hope it rocks as hard as Arrow.

At first I thought that superpowers would not fit in the Arrow-verse, and then this show made me stop caring and I want it too. :haw:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Hollismason posted:

Shado does not certainly serve the story being permanently dead, she's a huge character in Oliver's life.
She 'causes' a falling out between him and Slade, that's not enough? He did know and spend almost every moment with her since they met, that's got to be plenty.

I'm sure Slade is just gonna go full on Terminator on Ivo and co., that much is guaranteed, and he will likely sink the Amazo even if some super-powered Mirakuru thugs get in the way. What I'm more interested in is "how" Sarah "dies" and joins the LoA, and when exactly does Ollie fight Slade -> arrow in his eye -> he is presumed dead (I killed "all of them", burned the last one but not counting Slade?), joins Russian Mafia, has a reason to leave to island by year 5 (didn't he say he found something from his father but not from the island?)

Also since Slade and Mirakuru are in play, I wonder if Sarah will come back (very likely). Hopefully she doesn't get killed off though, fighting off super-powered men.

KenjiKaizoku
Oct 21, 2008
Guys. Holy poo poo, you guys.

I started Arrow last season based on the glowing reviews from everyone in the Season 1 thread. I was skeptical at first, especially since Smallville (Lana was so much worse than Laurel) had burned me so, so bad. I thought I was going to hate the first episode, but then, something magical happened: The show. Was.

AWESOME.

And Season 2 has been progressively better, leading into this incredible episode. Slade. Motherfuckin'. Wilson.

In 2013, you will believe a man can shoot arrows. And dole out vigilante justice. And star in an amazing television show that fully embraces the fact that it's based on a comic book. There are a lot of solid shows out there this season, but Arrow is easily my favorite at this moment. Jesus, I need to watch that again.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Eh, not really a fan of that episode.

Just kidding holy gently caress that was incredible.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Everything in that episode was excellent, with the sole and incredibly notable exception of Laurel. You can tell they're trying with her, but they really need to give her up as a lost cause.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Just have Laurel die and have Sarah change her name to Laurel in memory of her sister. Everyone wins and technically the showrunners haven't lied to us.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Arrow dropped a hint to Soloman Grundy, a villain that wikipedia refers to as a major villian to Green Lantern, Superman, and Batman

I don't know what this means for the whole movies vs. TV continuity thing, but if there's a deal where the live action TV is wholly separate from the movies and can do whatever they want I would be over the moon. Let the TV franchise(s) develop on their on and be free from the executive bullshit.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

The Lord Bude posted:

Just have Laurel die and have Sarah change her name to Laurel in memory of her sister. Everyone wins and technically the showrunners haven't lied to us.

Hey, they did it on Smallville with Jimmy Olsen, so there's precedent.

pentyne posted:

Arrow dropped a hint to Soloman Grundy, a villain that wikipedia refers to as a major villian to Green Lantern, Superman, and Batman

I don't know what this means for the whole movies vs. TV continuity thing, but if there's a deal where the live action TV is wholly separate from the movies and can do whatever they want I would be over the moon. Let the TV franchise(s) develop on their on and be free from the executive bullshit.

I totally agree. I think it would be cool of course if Amell got to play Green Arrow on the big screen (and Guston playing Flash as well) but the fact that this show is amazing but Man of Steel sucked (and Superman vs Batfleck sounds like a mess so far) means I'd rather they not mix and Warner continues to let Arrow do its thing. ESPECIALLY since Arrow has been playing so fast and loose with DC characters that have little to nothing to do with Green Arrow at all and its just been great. I mean Arrow has introduced or mentioned/dealt with some pretty freaking important DC characters (Green Arrow himself, Flash, Black Canary, Ra's Al Ghul, Deathstroke, Amanda Waller, Grundy, etc) and I would hate for that to be curtailed because of the fact that its in the same universe as the movies so they aren't allowed the same toolbox. The fact that SHIELD is tied in with the movies has obviously hurt it quite a bit, so far the only new Marvel characters its introduced are one C-list supervillain and a couple obscure people who work for SHIELD.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Just to clarify: Solomon Grundy was originally a villain for the first, golden age Green Lantern Alan Scott, who has very little to do with the modern Green Lantern Corps featuring that guy Ryan Reynolds played.

Since then Grundy's become more of a general DCU villain that more or less every hero or team has faced at some point or another, including Green Arrow, but he's not really a "major" foe for anyone. So it's not quite the same as having, say, the Penguin or Brainiac on this show or anything.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Andy Greenwald over at Grantland really got at the heart of Agents of SHIELD's problem - "What's worse, an exploration of the Marvel U's most fascinating corners — like Wakanda, say, or the Savage Land — is also unlikely. Why burn something on a random Tuesday night in October when there's a chance of blowing people's minds with it on a summer weekend in 2019"

What's impressed me about Arrow is that its not just throwing their storytelling dick around the DC universe willy nilly. Deathstroke has been a major DC villain for decades and I can't recall the last story that made him a compelling figure. I'm not a big fan of Barry Allen, but I understand why they wanted to go with him - because he fit the world that Arrow is building.

And jesus, what a drat complicated set of story arcs they've deftly set up in this half (half!) of the season. Tonight's episode benefitted from bringing everything back to Brother Blood, even if it meant underplaying other characters. Barry got his BIG!GREAT!MOMENTS! last week, for most of tonight's runtime he fades into the background.

I tend to focus on the show's pacing, particularly the show's love of throwing big reveals right before you expect them to. In isolation, it shouldn't be a shock to see Slade strolling around Star City. It doesn't take a great detective to discover Black Canary's identity. But these moments work not only because of their timing, but because of the sheer amount of compelling ongoing story strands the show plays with.

An old writing teacher always asked us to rewrite a scene between two characters - by adding a third. This inevitably opens up new dynamics and possibilities, and really made the writer think who needed to be in a scene, either for color or tone or plot necessity.

And Arrow is doing much the same, but by developing so many arcs that occasionally brush up against each other. Frankly, it's not surprising that Blood is a pawn of Slade's. But I didn't even think of that because I was too busy obsessing over how the writers were going to intertwine the League of Assassins and Blood's agendas.

The show's basically set up two polar centers of conflict - Brother Blood (and now Slade) and the League of Assassins (which includes Canary and Barrowman). But orbiting them are an astonishing amount of potential places for story development. ARGUS is biding its time, no doubt to make a grand reappearance once we've established the new status quo with superpowers. HIVE has been teased, for deployment at a later date. Summer Glau's character is... around.

Much as I adore this show's pacing, I should applaud their economy as well. The adventures of Sin and Roy and Thea should grate on me. But because they've been isolated to B and C plots, I've actually enjoyed checking in on them.

Barry Allen doesn't become the Arrow's savior. He gets Oliver up and running before the opening credits, and then waits his time until he can be sent back to Central City (and his future show.) And that would be infuriating, except that Arrow already has another storyline ready to boil over.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Just to clarify: Solomon Grundy was originally a villain for the first, golden age Green Lantern Alan Scott, who has very little to do with the modern Green Lantern Corps featuring that guy Ryan Reynolds played.

Since then Grundy's become more of a general DCU villain that more or less every hero or team has faced at some point or another, including Green Arrow, but he's not really a "major" foe for anyone. So it's not quite the same as having, say, the Penguin or Brainiac on this show or anything.

Bringing up a big franchise villain in any situation means the Arrow writers wrote the origin story and would have to get credit for any future mentions, so unless they clearly differentiate between the movies and TV, all it does is free up the Arrow writers to do whatever the gently caress they want without any fear of reprisal.

Grundy isn't Luthor or Two-Face, but he's been attached to both major heroes at some points in the comic and that slight connection is a major potential plot point Agents of SHIELD could never do. Right now it seems like Arrow has complete free range over any DC concepts and IP since they dropped the "what's next aliens" line and continued to introduced tons of major comic elements left and right.

edit: Just as a reminder as how good this show is, during the last scene, the cinematography focused on yellow and red chemicals floating up, and the only other color off to the side was green.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 12, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

XboxPants posted:

Triad with China White and various mercenaries like Bronze Tiger. Also HIVE HIV
The best arrow gif:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I got a real kick out of Barry's crime lab set being highly reminiscent of its counterpart from the 90s Flash series.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

pentyne posted:

Grundy isn't Luthor or Two-Face, but he's been attached to both major heroes at some points in the comic and that slight connection is a major potential plot point Agents of SHIELD could never do. Right now it seems like Arrow has complete free range over any DC concepts and IP since they dropped the "what's next aliens" line and continued to introduced tons of major comic elements left and right.

Well, as much as I dislike Agents of Shield for not having the balls to do that, I would equate them using Grundy in the same way that SHIELD used Graviton. While it's stated that Grundy is some major villain to Supes and Batman on Wikipedia, that's not saying much since the Legion of Doom pretty much acted as the speedway that every villain would gently caress around with every hero.

By all accounts, Grundy is C-list status, much like Graviton.

It may seem like Arrow has free range, but it's an illusion. Well, not until I see Nathan Fillion guest star as Ollie's private jet pilot Hal Jordan.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Arrow literally just gave us the origin story of a JLA Big Seven member (and not Aquaman or Martian Manhunter), they did exactly what you want.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
One big game changer that's being ignored is the police being taken apart by Grundy. In one fell swoop they've made it clear there are threats to the city that the cops can't handle and killed off the rear end in a top hat Boss, leaving a vacancy at the top of the power structure. I imagine we'll see a very big shift in their attitude on the Arrow now and Lance will be the driving force behind that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I do like how they essentially told you Slade was alive during the middle of the Episode, where he essentially represents the Ghost of Christmas present.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
By that logic Tommy is going to be brought back, as he would be the Ghost of Christmas Future.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Boogaleeboo posted:

By that logic Tommy is going to be brought back, as he would be the Ghost of Christmas Future.

I know it won't ever happen but I really wish it would because I hadn't realised how much I missed Colin Donnell until last night :smith:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Boogaleeboo posted:

If you REALLY stretch an interpretation you could say that Tommy's speech about Ollie being a hero and not a murderer is about his future as a superhero. But really I'd say the hallucinations weren't supposed to be such a specific reference.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BreakAtmo posted:

If you REALLY stretch an interpretation you could say that Tommy's speech about Ollie being a hero and not a murderer is about his future as a superhero. But really I'd say the hallucinations weren't supposed to be such a specific reference.

I'm pretty convinced that they were specific. Just not in order. Slade was the future while Tommy was the present.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Andy Greenwald over at Grantland really got at the heart of Agents of SHIELD's problem - "What's worse, an exploration of the Marvel U's most fascinating corners — like Wakanda, say, or the Savage Land — is also unlikely. Why burn something on a random Tuesday night in October when there's a chance of blowing people's minds with it on a summer weekend in 2019"

Yeah, I watch both shows, and that's the problem that I have with SHIELD - SHIELD only seems to occasionally remind us in a roundabout way that it's connected to the Marvel Universe, whereas Arrow directly references and uses big concepts in DC's house. SHIELD is ok, but it's starting to bore me a bit; they really need to get a hold of some of the more minor villians/heroes that are unlikely to get a movie of there own and use them, instead of just sometimes mentioning "oh hey, remember that time we saw that Norse lightning god guy?"

Arrow is a really good show. I like how Oliver has had actual character develoment as he traveled from brutal vigilante to aspiring hero, and the show's willingness to use other characters and concepts from the DC universe is what really brings it alive. Also, I think the "five years on the island" background plot is one of my favorite things about the show, and I'm intersted in seeing how far they take that. The continuing background tale really fleshes out Oliver's story more than a ten minute episode-one origin would have.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Shado is Past failures/regrets, Slade represents his present conflict, Tommy represented his future as a Hero.

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013

Crunk Abortion posted:

Following the rules of Evil TV Doppelgangers, does that mean season 3 will feature Emily Bett Rickards wearing improbably slutty leather outfits?

Yes, but it'll be good Felicity wearing them as her everyday wear. Evil Fecility will dress surprisingly conservatively.

Seems the "choice" Ollie made on the island was just to put himself between Ivo and the person he was pointed the gun at. Slade's just overreacting because LOVE.

I still wonder how things would've gone if Slade had been in love with Ollie instead.

Honestly the most unrealistic part of the episode was the fact that an intern gets a huge loving office all to himself. Though maybe that's just, like, a chemical storage room that they just told him to set up in.

Oh who am I kidding this episode was great, the show is great and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Dracorion posted:

Yes, but it'll be good Felicity wearing them as her everyday wear. Evil Fecility will dress surprisingly conservatively.

Seems the "choice" Ollie made on the island was just to put himself between Ivo and the person he was pointed the gun at. Slade's just overreacting because LOVE.

I still wonder how things would've gone if Slade had been in love with Ollie instead.

Honestly the most unrealistic part of the episode was the fact that an intern gets a huge loving office all to himself. Though maybe that's just, like, a chemical storage room that they just told him to set up in.

Oh who am I kidding this episode was great, the show is great and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

I assumed it was his apartment, and he just happened to have a makeshift laboratory in there because he's a giant man-felicity.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
Is it 100% that Ollies hallucinatory fight with Slade in his secret lair was really a hallucination?

I mean, poo poo really did get hosed up, and Slade said EXACTLY what "real" Slade was thinking in the last few scenes...

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Dracorion posted:

This is ridiculous. At what point have conservatism and blatant supervillainy gone hand-in-ha-oh.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Muslim Wookie posted:

Is it 100% that Ollies hallucinatory fight with Slade in his secret lair was really a hallucination?

Slade has one eye and grey hair highlights. It is 100% not a real scene, yes.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Muslim Wookie posted:

I mean, poo poo really did get hosed up, and Slade said EXACTLY what "real" Slade was thinking in the last few scenes...

Present Slade looked more like comics Deathstroke than hallucination Slade who looked like he does now on the island..

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
Yeah too right guys sorry I completely blanked on that one. Shame though I sort of feel like it would have been better had it been real...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They also seemed to spend a great deal of time on present Slade focusing on his right hand, which looked rather immobile.

Robotnik DDS
Oct 31, 2004

Rarity posted:

killed off the rear end in a top hat Boss

This was Lance's old partner. The boss is still around.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Dracorion posted:

Slade's just overreacting because LOVE.

Well, that and the serum apparently predisposes you towards being a dick. Oliver is supposedly going to spend the rest of the season trying to keep Roy in the present from going down the same road as Slade in the past.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Axel Serenity posted:

Fox owns the rights to a lot of Batman live action television characters because they produced the old Adam West series way before DC was bought by Warner Bros. That's why you see a ton of Batman cartoons and movies but never even a cameo in regular television.

There are lots of stipulations to what Fox does and doesn't own the rights to, though, and a ton depends on when a character was introduced in the comics, as far as I understand it.

Really? I thought that only was a problem with just the original live action series.

:psyduck: Intellectual property fights.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Just caught up. I'm so happy I gave this show a chance. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Speaking of Batman; are they still making the 'Gotham' show? Because that doesn't sound like a terribly compelling idea for a series to me. I'm sure Commissioner Gordon is a fine and interesting character in his own right but he can't really do anything, can he? All the Bat-villains still have to be around when Batman shows up, and Gotham City still has to be terrible so Batman can save it (or not). So it's a show where we know going in the protagonist is doomed to fail and that things are only ever going to get worse because he isn't really the protagonist (that's Batman). What exactly is the draw here? :raise:

• Locked thread