Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012
4 hours left to get in on this Smarty Ring that has no video, no actual prototypes and the four updates are very sparse..and yet it has nearly a QUARTER OF A MILLION dollars in backing when they were asking for 40k. Wtf..

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/smarty-ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

A kickstarter to educate the youth about the constitution!
The story -

quote:

Little-known Founding Father wannabe Jefferson Quincy Washington III, Esq. has lost the Seven Articles of the United States Constitution. Now, James Madison - the Father of the Constitution - has sent YOU on a great quest to find and recover all seven articles - just in time for the Founders to sign the Constitution for Constitution Day. Each Founder that they meet will send them on a minigame adventure that will lead them to the next article.

As the game progresses, players will be asked questions throughout the game that will test their knowledge while at the same time ensure that they are having fun—teaching students about the Constitution, American history, and government using, in the words of one Liberty Day teacher, “camouflage!"
And what a camouflage Liberty Day has gotten for itself!

The introduction to that podcast, if you don't want to listen to it (I know I don't), is a bit of a country song with an old white man saying "Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem." Followed by another white man saying "I only have one thing to say to the tax increasers: Go ahead, make my day." I couldn't listen beyond that because the actual cast's audio came out garbled.

And don't forget, Kickstarters are charities this Kickstarter is for a nonprofit LLC!

quote:

Founded in 1996 by Andy McKean and his late wife Kathy, Liberty Day is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to educating American students about the U.S. Constitution, Declaration of Independence, and American government.

(originally posted in the wrong Kickstarter thread)
Surprisingly, they didn't lie about that.

If you contribute you have a chance to win this sweetass poster!

Wait, I thought raffles weren't allowed on Kickstarter?

Shai-Hulud posted:

I always liked how Half-Life did Add-on names. Opposing Force, Blue Shift, Decay. All physics terms the same as Half-Life itself.

Episode 1 and Episode 2 though...
The expansions for Half-Life were made by Gearbox, if I recall correctly.

RoanHorse has a new favorite as of 05:38 on Dec 12, 2013

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
good God that comic art makes Rob Liefeld cry. Someone should tell Andy Mckean to stop being a cumrag asking for handouts and boost himself up by his own bootstraps

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Autechresaint posted:

4 hours left to get in on this Smarty Ring that has no video, no actual prototypes and the four updates are very sparse..and yet it has nearly a QUARTER OF A MILLION dollars in backing when they were asking for 40k. Wtf..

Everyone who backed that deserves exactly what they'll get from it.

(Spoiler: They're getting exactly jack poo poo.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RoanHorse posted:

And don't forget, Kickstarters are charities this Kickstarter is for a nonprofit LLC!

Doesn't matter, it's for an awareness campaign and that's prohibited too.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

The Smarty Ring has Butt Call alert... wonder what that's for :/

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

DStecks posted:

I got that impression, I just never miss an opportunity to take a shot at David Cage.

David Cage: The Uwe Boll of the gaming world.

All we need now is for Uwe to pick up the rights for a Farenheit movie, and we'll have reached a lovely story singularity.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

TetsuoTW posted:

Everyone who backed that deserves exactly what they'll get from it.

(Spoiler: They're getting exactly jack poo poo.)

I have to believe that they got some rich relative to back it for a large sum in hopes of getting others to trust the project because 'heck if it has 200k then it must be legit.' Its flexible funding so the rich backer gets his money back regardless.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

J.A.B.C. posted:

David Cage: The Uwe Boll of the gaming world.

Actually, he owns. Heavy Rain is dumb AND awesome.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

Actually, he owns. Heavy Rain is dumb AND awesome.

I'd hate David Cage less if he hadn't deluded the whole industry into thinking that he's some champion of quality storytelling, instead of the purveyor of garbage that he is.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

DStecks posted:

I'd hate David Cage less if he hadn't deluded the whole industry into thinking that he's some champion of quality storytelling, instead of the purveyor of garbage that he is.

I have never read an interview with him or anything, but Heavy Rain does indeed own, which seems like a strong counterpoint to your argument.

press X to JASONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Wikipedia posted:

He has designed and directed all four games released by the studio: Omikron: The Nomad Soul (1999), Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy (2005), Heavy Rain (2010), and Beyond: Two Souls (2013).

David Cage: Colon Enthusiast

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Beyond: Two Souls is another lovely colon title (no pun intended). It's like they couldn't decide between calling the game "Beyond" or "Two Souls", so they decided not to decide.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

contrapants posted:

David Cage: Colon Enthusiast

Only when souls are involved, apparently

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A soulon enthusiast.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

theflyingorc posted:

Only when souls are involved, apparently

David Cage: Soul Colonic

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DStecks posted:

Beyond: Two Souls is another lovely colon title (no pun intended). It's like they couldn't decide between calling the game "Beyond" or "Two Souls", so they decided not to decide.

Plus there's just no way to 'say' the colon, telling somebody the game name means "Beyond Two Souls", so how many? Three Souls? Its just a really awkward name.

Indigo Prophecy didn't really mean anything but it worked pretty well as a name. Fahrenheit doesn't tell you poo poo though. Heavy rain, is so-so. Its not bad, and it implies some heavy drama is coming, but it doesn't sound all that cool.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Plus there's just no way to 'say' the colon, telling somebody the game name means "Beyond Two Souls", so how many? Three Souls? Its just a really awkward name.

Indigo Prophecy didn't really mean anything but it worked pretty well as a name. Fahrenheit doesn't tell you poo poo though. Heavy rain, is so-so. Its not bad, and it implies some heavy drama is coming, but it doesn't sound all that cool.

I wonder who gets to pick the titles for games, especially for the big corporate games. If Beyond: Two Souls was the product of a PR guy, there was a wasted college education right there. If it was Cage himself who picked it, that would explain quite a bit, considering that English is not his first language. Picking a title is often a matter of what feels right, something that's hard to get a sense for unless you're intimately familiar with a language.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

DStecks posted:

Having David Milch, the best TV writer in history, adapt one of your games into a movie probably goes a long way to convincing people of that.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

DStecks posted:

I wonder who gets to pick the titles for games, especially for the big corporate games. If Beyond: Two Souls was the product of a PR guy, there was a wasted college education right there. If it was Cage himself who picked it, that would explain quite a bit, considering that English is not his first language. Picking a title is often a matter of what feels right, something that's hard to get a sense for unless you're intimately familiar with a language.

Cage (and half his actors) being hilariously European and trying desperately to pass themselves as American is one of the most subtly funny things in his games. Like in Indigo Prophecy when they call a laundromat a "lavomatic" or how in Heavy Rain they have European-style power plugs.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Autechresaint posted:

This UI is heinous.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Plus there's just no way to 'say' the colon
Yes there is, it's usually stressed by a upward tonal change (but not as much as in a question) and a pause before saying the part after the colon. Jeremy Clarkson speaks in colons all the time. I'm a (semi) colon enthusiast.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Hotdog man's back, looking to install the dreaded vent hood. Still time for a Christmas miracle, you guys!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Now, I can't claim to predict the internet, but man, that guy's going to be disappointed when he finds out how spontaneous fanatic support works when you come back for seconds.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Indigo prophecy literally culminates in a prophesized indigo child, how does that mean anything?

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Antitonic posted:

Hotdog man's back, looking to install the dreaded vent hood. Still time for a Christmas miracle, you guys!

WTF!? That has to be against Kickstarter's rules somehow.

He has an even worse picture up now, and he's claiming he will make hamburgers too.

Marta Velasquez has a new favorite as of 16:12 on Dec 13, 2013

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

ahahaha

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Antitonic posted:

Miracles don't happen twice.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
there really isnt a risk at this point of the project.. if it all fails i can store my intire restaurant in a storage unit til i can try it again... but the only challenge is getting the vent hood installed... i have everything already... i haven't been cleared yet by the health inspector but its all in order and just waiting to get hood installed for him to pass me... he is pleased with the building now

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Well my kid was hoping to get some dental work done, but goddammit this man has a dream.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

representive of a doobie dog

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Some goon seriously donated to Doobie a second time, and not just dropping a dollar to post a disparaging remark, either. Tsk, tsk.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Anoia posted:

Some goon seriously donated to Doobie a second time, and not just dropping a dollar to post a disparaging remark, either. Tsk, tsk.

Hell, I'll own that. Damned if I can give a good enough reason why though, if I'm honest. Only $50, and felt like it? :shrug:

VVV That's probably part of it too. Either the funding falls though or I'm out a negligible amount. It's like gambling, never put down what you can't afford to lose.

Antitonic has a new favorite as of 16:58 on Dec 13, 2013

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Antitonic posted:

Hell, I'll own that. Damned if I can give a good enough reason why though, if I'm honest. Only $50, and felt like it? :shrug:

Also you won't have to pay $50 since it's not going to get funded.

($3,200 for a vent hood?)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Grim Up North posted:

representive of a doobie dog

what the hell

I actually had to check this wasn't troll page, it reads like a parody of itself, sorry doobie but i don't think you're going to get many double-dippers for this.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

A Steampunk Gent posted:

what the hell

I actually had to check this wasn't troll page, it reads like a parody of itself, sorry doobie but i don't think you're going to get many double-dippers for this.

I remember Doobie saying that his boss said "haha, you are a fuckup and your hot dog empire dreams will be crushed by reality." His boss was right and is probably having a good belly laugh right now.

Maybe he should go back to that hot dog guru in Chicago he talked about.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

Also you won't have to pay $50 since it's not going to get funded.

($3,200 for a vent hood?)

If you read, he actually spent $8,000 of the $10,000 he apparently netted after fees and backers pulling out just buying the vent hood. The money now is just to install it.

Last I heard he had found a used vent hood for a lot cheaper. 8k seems ridiculous, but I'm not in the vent hood business and I haven't kept up on the project since it was funded.

google THIS
Oct 17, 2005

67 ellipses on that page (though some have two or four periods)

The guy must type like he thinks

Or else he thinks an ellipsis is literally three times as good as a period, since that's how he's using them

Incidentally where did the racism happen, or has someone actually gone through the effort of documenting the saga thus far? I've seen chunks of the story and the guy who gave hot dog man his Christmas money, and the bits of that one thread where the one guy indignantly justified giving his Christmas money to hot dog man

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Jett posted:

67 ellipses on that page (though some have two or four periods)

The guy must type like he thinks

Or else he thinks an ellipsis is literally three times as good as a period, since that's how he's using them

Incidentally where did the racism happen, or has someone actually gone through the effort of documenting the saga thus far? I've seen chunks of the story and the guy who gave hot dog man his Christmas money, and the bits of that one thread where the one guy indignantly justified giving his Christmas money to hot dog man

something something black people something fried chicken

mostly 'racist hotdog man' is more concise than explaining the complex and many layered stupidity of giving Christmas to a hick failing to sell diarrhea dogs in a shack in Alabama because the mod of a chat forum made a post etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I think what he actually said (on the Facebook page he keeps accidentally making personal posts on, wasn't it?) had something to do with fried chicken and black people. After the fake photoshop comments that followed I don't know what to believe.

e:f,b Anyway, did he have anything to say about no longer getting a cameo in the Dropsy game? Or was that offer just quietly withdrawn?

Anoia has a new favorite as of 17:46 on Dec 13, 2013