Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
I just want Freespace 3 or Independence War 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I just want to explore strange new worlds. And have a space gun.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I'd be happy with just a Freelancer 2.
Rebirth gets some points for effort but just doesn't get near enough to what I'm after - I guess it's just probably better to wait for X - Redo, the full feature/price standalone expansion that Egosoft will put out in a year or two.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ZombyDog posted:

I'd be happy with just a Freelancer 2.
Rebirth gets some points for effort but just doesn't get near enough to what I'm after - I guess it's just probably better to wait for X - Redo, the full feature/price standalone expansion that Egosoft will put out in a year or two.
This, as simple it was compared to X, Freelancer was (admittedly, the only one) a Space Game I've played, beat, and modded with crazy things because "Wait, I can play this with a keyboard and mouse :aaaaa:" and not having had a computer that would handle all the classical space trader combat mans games when they were around.

The ancient thread title for TC saying "Freelancer on Steroids" is what first caught my attention for this series. I never got very far at all the various times I took a stab at it because I guess I'm a big dumbface/it always became readily apparent I'd never make it all the way as just "Ace Fighter pilot with a nice bank account and a trader ships in the background".

I still love the general style of the X series though, and hope rebirth turns out later or at the very least, maybe sometime manage to wrap my mind around AP, without also having to learn 18 different scripts and mods to make it manageable.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Prediction: 2 years from now, Rebirth or its expansion will be the best space game out.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

DancingMachine posted:

Prediction: 2 years from now, Rebirth or its expansion will be the best space game out.

In two years time you may found everyone here could care less with star cit and elite being out

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Star Citizen is pretty different from X, I'm not sure any absence of X games would get me to play it any more than it would get me to play, say, EvE online.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Stevefin posted:

In two years time you may found everyone here could care less with star cit and elite being out

My point is Rebirth will end up being better than those games.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Well it's definitely going to be better than Star Citizen because Chris Roberts is just going to wait another year for people to give him another 30 million dollars and will then promptly gently caress off to go live on the moon.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

VDay posted:

Well it's definitely going to be better than Star Citizen because Chris Roberts is just going to wait another year for people to give him another 30 million dollars and will then promptly gently caress off to go live on the moon.

He'd be pretty stupid to actually make the game at this point

Shalebridge Cradle fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 9, 2013

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Look at how much poo poo people are giving Tim Schafer over the money spent on his Kickstarter. Anything less than the extreme hype set up by 30 million dollars worth of money, the internet will explode and it will be GLORIOUS.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

DancingMachine posted:

My point is Rebirth will end up being better than those games.

truth be told I really, really doubt it, even if star cits crazy feature list only comes out at 50% on launch there won't be game braking bugs and events cause. well there will be alpha and beta tests, and elite is still in a too early to judge all features + I did not back that one. I had one choice and went with star cit

quote:

quote:

He'd be pretty stupid to actually make the game at this point

While yes he could be a massive dick and decided that his vision is now to live on the moon and laugh at us for giving him millions of dollars, but such a hit will cripple crowd funded/kickstarter games if one of the most funded game creator decided he wanted a better view on the moon, in a space castle.

Though I doubt he will do that. but the success of star cit may make or brake crowd funded game. if it goes well it will show crowd funding is not just for some small game for indies to try and get their feet, but that, basically a triple A game can be funded and brought to success by the community, and well if it flops that may be the end of the short life of crowd funded games.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

ZombyDog posted:

Does this come out after X - Advance?

(It is an Eva film joke)

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
To be honest, I'm really more excited for Limit Theory than X:Rebirth anymore. It helps that signs point to it coming out sooner than when Rebirth has been patched enough to be not a steaming pile of poo poo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Stevefin posted:

if it flops that may be the end of the short life of crowd funded games.

Lord, let it be so.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

HiKaizer posted:

Does this come out after X - Advance?

(It is an Eva film joke)

X-Afterbirth.

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.
Really, really wanted Rebirth to be good, but it seems that it's impossibly dreadful and unfixable.

Time to go back to Albion.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

At the moment I'd accept Freelancer on gog.com (not going to happen because :microsoft:)

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
There's no way Star Citizen is going to meet the ridiculous expectations that come with spending hundreds of dollars on a virtual spaceship.

Edit: On the other hand, maybe if you spent hundreds of dollars on a virtual spaceship you're willing to justify anything and the game is perfect no matter what.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 9, 2013

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Stevefin posted:

truth be told I really, really doubt it, even if star cits crazy feature list only comes out at 50% on launch there won't be game braking bugs and events cause. well there will be alpha and beta tests, and elite is still in a too early to judge all features + I did not back that one. I had one choice and went with star cit

If you pruned Star Citizen's feature list to 50% its still one of the most ambitious games in history. The fact that they just let the money train continue with more features and ships teased at each milestone means that it can never live up to its own ambition.

I'm not saying it won't be a decent space shooter, but holy crap look at what they are promising.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General
It's been a bit more than a year since I quit this game because the way the warzones worked pissed me off. Has anyone come up with an easy way to put an end to that nonsense since then?

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

If you pruned Star Citizen's feature list to 50% its still one of the most ambitious games in history. The fact that they just let the money train continue with more features and ships teased at each milestone means that it can never live up to its own ambition.

I'm not saying it won't be a decent space shooter, but holy crap look at what they are promising.

Not to derail too much, but Star Citizen got a SA Frontpage today.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Lee Outrageous posted:

It's been a bit more than a year since I quit this game because the way the warzones worked pissed me off. Has anyone come up with an easy way to put an end to that nonsense since then?

I'm pretty sure there is a mod that end the war. I just never used but you'll probably find it on the sticky on the mods section of egosoft forums along with all the other mods.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Out of curiosity and for unrelated reasons, I checked the metascore of my games list on Steam. X Rebirth is the lowest, at 34. The next game up is The Scourge Project at 44, which I got in some bundle during a Halloween sale and wanted to be kind of Gears of War-ish. I can't even find its store page on Steam.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MechaCrash posted:

Out of curiosity and for unrelated reasons, I checked the metascore of my games list on Steam. X Rebirth is the lowest, at 34. The next game up is The Scourge Project at 44, which I got in some bundle during a Halloween sale and wanted to be kind of Gears of War-ish. I can't even find its store page on Steam.

Hell hath no fury like a gamer scorned. Doubly so if she's female.

I just lack the energy or the head injury required to defend it. However,

egosoft posted:

X Rebirth Update 1.19 Released

• Fixed major slowdown after loading savegames.
• Fixed several more causes of crashes.
• Fixed more cases of trade ships getting stuck.
• Fixed large ships being unable to trade with Canteran station in DeVries.
• Fixed undocking problems after trading.
• Fixed ammunition trade problems.
• Fixed mining drones getting stuck.
• Fixed negative number of drones in cargo.
• Fixed cargo bays containing more wares than they can hold.
• Fixed cockpit animations hanging (see note below).
• Fixed problem with targeting player-owned ships.
• Fixed incorrect player position during highway flight.
• Fixed player owned ships being assigned the wrong commander.
• Fixed ships with missing AI functionality.
• Fixed problems with Engineer functionality.
• Improved flight behaviour for boarding and claiming.
• Improved combat behaviour for capital ships.
• Fixed station defence problems.
• Fixed incorrect defence routines being used on ships.
• Fixed switching the AI mode of the Defence Officer.
• Added defend and attack mode options to Defence Officer.
• Rebalanced skills of existing NPCs in line with new ones.
• Rebalanced contents of boxes and other containers on platforms.
• Rebalanced cost of ship and station repair.
• Fixed transport passenger mission getting blocked after cutscene.
• Fixed sounds not stopping sometimes.
• Fixed buttons not working with mouse input.
• Added facility to unmap controls in control mapping menu (press Delete).
• Added video capture mode with ability to switch off cockpit (Expert settings).
• Fixed too many missing extensions breaking the load game menu.
• Several localisation improvements.

NOTE: If cockpit animations are still stuck after loading an old savegame then you may need to press Enter 5-5 and then return to the cockpit for this fix to take effect.

I know the beta got mentioned, but this is the actual patch release. I may restart the campaign to see if things flow a little better than a brick down a drainpipe.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Personally, I never wanted to be able to walk around in my space sims. Sure, it's nice, but not at the expense of smooth gameplay, polish or anything else. All I've ever really wanted from the genre was steady, incremental improvements on Privateer 2.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

That's one of the pissers about it. Eve Online and the X series are not the same game by any stretch, but they're similar enough that they should be paying attention to each other. And when Eve was going to add "you can get out of your ship and walk around on stations," the player base was displeased, to put it lightly. The general reaction, as I recall, was to the tune of "why the hell are you wasting resources on letting people in your SPACESHIP GAME get out of the spaceships that are the entire reason they play?"

And that was with Eve promising to add a point to getting out of your ship.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

MechaCrash posted:

That's one of the pissers about it. Eve Online and the X series are not the same game by any stretch, but they're similar enough that they should be paying attention to each other. And when Eve was going to add "you can get out of your ship and walk around on stations," the player base was displeased, to put it lightly. The general reaction, as I recall, was to the tune of "why the hell are you wasting resources on letting people in your SPACESHIP GAME get out of the spaceships that are the entire reason they play?"

And that was with Eve promising to add a point to getting out of your ship.

The EVE station walking had two problems, only one of which is the same as X-Rebirth. People didn't like station walking in EVE for two reasons...

A) It was a thin excuse to sell bullshit cosmetics in a cash shop. This enraged people because the station walking was released alongside a new cash shop that sold cosmetic items for your character at ludicrous prices, to the point that it became obvious that the cash shop items were the reason they made the whole system in the first place. This is the main reason people disliked it in EVE but it doesn't relate to X-Rebirth.

B) There was (and still is) no loving point to it. Walking about the station adds nothing to EVE at all, and it's the same in X-Rebirth. There is nothing you can do (or would want to) walking about the station that you couldn't do anywhere.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

There was (and still is) no loving point to it.

Really good performance data on wide deployment for the WoD MMO, and you'd presume Dust514, although that's become quite odd in it's own right because of the balancing problems and the now overdue economic apocalypse that linking the games will bring.

So, after 1.19 hit I decided to restart the campaign, and now it's merely stilted and janky rather than being utterly loving broken, although I am just before the second attempt to dump Yisha. Trading is happening, and appears to be happening elsewhere, although it's too early to tell.

One minor aspect of the last patch was to give you the ability to turn the cockpit off; you have to bind your own key for it.

Peep this;
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=203120295 - without
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=203120279 - with

I can kinda see the vision that loving around with the stations and missions _should_ eat the time that you used to spend under SETA, and that linear distances for freighters appear to be shorter, but it's still not hugely compelling, although my earlier assessment that they've managed to give this a sense of scale missing from the earlier games. The station sections can suck a fat one. They're an extraneous pilfer zone with horrible controls that feels wedged in where a menu system would suffice.

They're also attempting to do the proud father thing of gradually removing the training wheels throughout the campaign, but between the jank ('You came though' instead of 'You came through', 'cache' pronounce 'catch') and the early bugs it was difficult to tell if you were expected to have worked something out, or the game was just stuck.

The center screen has been behaving itself since the patch and restart, too. I also have to say that the challenge appears to have been raised; instead of facing single ships on easy combat missions I've been thrown formations of six fighters.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Maybe they'll have a barely stable launch by Christmas.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I just want EVE with ships you actually pilot. Why is this so hard? :smith:

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
The space genre is the Scottish Play of video games.

Laterbase
May 18, 2011

kedo posted:

I just want EVE with ships you actually pilot. Why is this so hard? :smith:

That would be the worst game. Enjoy carefully undocking only to be instantly killed by a blob of space autists.

Laterbase fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 12, 2013

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp

Laterbase posted:

That would be the worst game. Enjoy carefully docking only to be instantly killed by a blob of space autists.

Except that we are that blob of space autists :smith:

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Tarq posted:

Except that we are that blob of space autists :smith:

Not exactly famous for not shooting blues. But the reasons are more likely technical, it desyncs and lags as is, even without everyone trying fancy piloting. Besides hit/miss is still a dice roll and not modeling shot trajectory, so fancy piloting gets mostly pointless, and adding that too will cause even heavier load.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Destructoid put out a review of X Rebirth today and basically shat all over it.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-x-rebirth-267065.phtml

quote:

The new features in X Rebirth are highways to travel faster, the ability to scan stations to gather information, the ability to leave your ship and walk around, and a new way of trading goods. All of these additions are garbage and I am not even going to bother explaining them

:drat:

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Hopefully Rebirth is fixed by the time I go to buy it. I think I'll wait till summer of next year..or maybe 2015. Maybe, just maybe, it'll be fixed by then.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

So much potential...so poorly executed. Rebirth is the first game in the series that I've had to actively will myself to play.

cat boots
Feb 16, 2013
If anyone's still trying to get a refund for Rebirth, keep at it. I got mine yesterday after like a month of back and forth. After my ticket was closed I reopened it and copy pasted my request.

Apparently Steam Support Robbie succumbs to his own copy paste repetition tactics, because simply asking again in exactly the same way was all that was needed to convince him.

Bought Albion Prelude and had a little go. Still burnt out from how much Terran Conflict I played last month, but at least I now own the ultimate edition of the last good Egosoft game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

cat boots posted:

If anyone's still trying to get a refund for Rebirth, keep at it. I got mine yesterday after like a month of back and forth. After my ticket was closed I reopened it and copy pasted my request.

Apparently Steam Support Robbie succumbs to his own copy paste repetition tactics, because simply asking again in exactly the same way was all that was needed to convince him.

Bought Albion Prelude and had a little go. Still burnt out from how much Terran Conflict I played last month, but at least I now own the ultimate edition of the last good Egosoft game.

They outright refused cause I had played it for a few hours trying to find the game. Did they use this excuse on you?

• Locked thread