Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baika
Jul 8, 2011

Cap on, apply directly to the rats head.
Enjoy.

It makes me think back to that one chiropractor thread.

Baika has a new favorite as of 13:51 on Dec 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I can't believe that idiot thinks letting anyone, especially a quack, crack a little kid's bones is a good idea. I mean, they're still developing for gently caress's sake. Some of those "reasons" don't even make any sense, why would anyone think that a "bone doctor" could do anything for bed-wetting and allergies?

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
The first chiropractics facebook thing I saw started with "EVERY CHILD SHOULD HAVE THEIR SPINE INSPECTED AT BIRTH" and I was all like, "yeah, they check for fingers and toes, might as well check for spinal deformities too." But then I read more and realized, nope, nothing is good, nothing is reasonable.

Celery Face posted:

"bone doctor"

I'm a practitioner of Bone Law myself.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Baika posted:

Enjoy.

It makes me think back to that one chiropractor thread that was gassed some time ago.

This just makes me think "oh, people don't get it checked until they're 47? Must not be that important then."

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

ThatPazuzu posted:

I'm a practitioner of Bone Law myself.
I put that in quotes because that's what most people think chiropractors are.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Celery Face posted:

I can't believe that idiot thinks letting anyone, especially a quack, crack a little kid's bones is a good idea. I mean, they're still developing for gently caress's sake. Some of those "reasons" don't even make any sense, why would anyone think that a "bone doctor" could do anything for bed-wetting and allergies?

There are some chiropractors who believe that deformities in the spine are somehow responsible for basically every ailment known to man, including the ones that have nothing to do with your spine or bones. So they honestly think they can cure stuff like allergies by manipulating your vertebrae. They call them "vertebral subluxations" if you'd like to read more.

The only chiropractor I've met who was really into this was also big on homeopathy and convincing his patients to quit taking their prescriptions because all drugs kill you slowly and he couldn't help anyone taking them.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Celery Face posted:

I put that in quotes because that's what most people think chiropractors are.

Oh, "bone doctor" just reminded me of Bone Law, a weird thing from PUAhate. Bone Law is everything!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I've always heard that chiropractic medicine is controversial but never really heard a definitive answer why, so I did a quick check on Wikipedia to see what it had to say.

quote:

Chiropractic was founded in 1895 by magnetic healer D.D. Palmer

Oh.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Baika posted:

Enjoy.

It makes me think back to that one chiropractor thread that was gassed some time ago.

I know one way chiropractic medicine can cure Irritable Baby Syndrome!

vvvv Bingo!

Watermelon Daiquiri has a new favorite as of 04:15 on Dec 12, 2013

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
Is that when they sneak into the hospital to do their "adjustments" and break a newborn's neck?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Baika posted:

Enjoy.

I had a chiropractor friend awhile back. She kept posting "PROOF that the flu shot DOES NOT WORK", etc etc. One day she posted how glad she was that chiropractors couldn't prescribe drugs, and defriended me when I replied "I'm glad too, because you're a goddamn quack".

On the one hand it's sad to have a friendship end that way, on other hand being a big pharma shill pays me the big bills :getin:

Celery Face posted:

I can't believe that idiot thinks letting anyone, especially a quack, crack a little kid's bones is a good idea.

because :supaburn::siren: SUBLUXATIONS :siren::supaburn: are exactly like thetans or demon possession, except it's real!!!!! This is what Palmer School chiroquacktics believe, some chiropractors don't pretend to treat anything but lower back pain.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Chiropractic is a completely unlicensed and unregulated field, so while there are some chiropractors who do know what they're doing, most of them are quacks. Medicaid/Medicare does not cover chiropractic, either, which I consider to be a Very Good Thing.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Kimmalah posted:

There are some chiropractors who believe that deformities in the spine are somehow responsible for basically every ailment known to man, including the ones that have nothing to do with your spine or bones. So they honestly think they can cure stuff like allergies by manipulating your vertebrae.

The entire foundation of chiropractic practice is precisely the idea that irregularities in the spine are the root cause for literally all illnesses. There are those that don't believe that, and they usually provide massage/physical therapy treatments on top of the dangerous spine adjustments. Of course, they aren't actually trained in the massage or physical therapy treatments. See, its cheaper and easier to do that than actually attend and pass a real therapy program.

Pretty much everything you'd see a chiropractor to fix you'll get better results with less chance of stroke, paralysis, or death from a PT.

I love how terrified the baby looks.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kimmalah posted:

It didn't help, but I've met plenty of college students with terrible opinions about politics.

Sloober posted:

Yes, terrible opinions are not the exclusive domain of blue collar workers. College kids might even be biased towards having even worse opinions since that's when you like, totally figure it all out.

Back when fb was limited to .edu addresses and you could only see people from your school, communities tended to be more insular and self-policing, for better or worse. Regardless of whatever someone's idiotic political beliefs are, they at least put more effort into what they were posting. I don't remember seeing all these retarded image macros being spammed everywhere until they let elderlies onto facebook.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

Aerdan posted:

Chiropractic is a completely unlicensed and unregulated field, so while there are some chiropractors who do know what they're doing, most of them are quacks. Medicaid/Medicare does not cover chiropractic, either, which I consider to be a Very Good Thing.

Not sure about Medicare, but whether Medicaid does is up to the state. Nebraska Medicaid definitely does cover chiropractic visits.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

DrNutt posted:

Back when fb was limited to .edu addresses and you could only see people from your school, communities tended to be more insular and self-policing, for better or worse. Regardless of whatever someone's idiotic political beliefs are, they at least put more effort into what they were posting. I don't remember seeing all these retarded image macros being spammed everywhere until they let elderlies onto facebook.

No, they just posted their lovely opinions in regular text form instead.

Eds
May 25, 2007

I'm "Tara Misu" and "Reed Iculous" is the guy who reposted this stupid thing.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
I like that people happily hand over money for someone with no qualifications to kill their baby for them.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

swampland posted:

I like that people happily hand over money for someone with no qualifications to kill their baby for them.

Especially when I could do it way cheaper. A claw hammer costs like £20.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Firos posted:

Especially when I could do it way cheaper. A claw hammer costs like £20.

Most homes have a bathtub...

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
Yeah I mean I'm qualified at killing babys and I wouldn't charge the extortionist poo poo those chiros do

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Commodore 64 posted:

Wait, all is not lost for the MRA I posted earlier!

He has forgiven a random blogger who got added to AVFMs "stalk&harasswatchlist".

Link to the post

"My momFEMALE oppressors never apologized for when she took my Playstationrights away!":reddit:

Why do MRAs always feel entitled to an apology from feminism as a whole, anyway?

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I had a chiropractor friend awhile back. She kept posting "PROOF that the flu shot DOES NOT WORK", etc etc. One day she posted how glad she was that chiropractors couldn't prescribe drugs, and defriended me when I replied "I'm glad too, because you're a goddamn quack".

On the one hand it's sad to have a friendship end that way, on other hand being a big pharma shill pays me the big bills :getin:

because :supaburn::siren: SUBLUXATIONS :siren::supaburn: are exactly like thetans or demon possession, except it's real!!!!! This is what Palmer School chiroquacktics believe, some chiropractors don't pretend to treat anything but lower back pain.

A goon friend of mine used to work at major car insurance company and they have a whole fraud education training thing that's basically "yeeeeeah, you're going to be dealing with a lot of chiropractors and most of their claims are bullshit". Unfortunately, it's tough to prove. She did indeed have to deal with a lot of chiropractors. I remember her telling me about one guy who insisted she call him "Dr". She ignored him and made a specific point of calling him "Mr". Petty, but it made the rest of her tortuous day a little brighter.

Commodore 64 posted:

Wait, all is not lost for the MRA I posted earlier!

He has forgiven a random blogger who got added to AVFMs "stalk&harasswatchlist".

Link to the post

"My momFEMALE oppressors never apologized for when she took my Playstationrights away!":reddit:

Seriously, the worst part of that for me was when he tells this woman that the MRAs will still registry her as a "reminder to yourself and others for your ignorance", even though she apologized. Any read Watership Down? Because I was creepily reminded of the part where one of the rabbits tries to escape the evil warren and his ears are ripped off as an example to the others. A delightful book for children of all ages.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Vicas posted:

Why do MRAs always feel entitled to an apology from feminism as a whole, anyway?

Because Big Feminism has personally slighted them with their vicious anti-man attacks, such as "hey, maybe don't take advantage of a girl too drunk to walk" or "women deserve to be treated just the same as men".

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

I don't know. I took a History of Anti-Semitism course in college and basically gleaned this from the whole experience: people don't like the idea that things like the economy and everything that comes with it (jobs, income, etc) are totally out of their control. Well, out of most people's control. When things go wrong they can't accept the fact that sometimes life just sucks or that maybe they should take some responsibility for the fact that their life sucks. Instead, they need to apply order to the chaos by deciding someone is to blame for it (and it's certainly not them!). It's easier to believe that some evil group of people are keeping them from realizing their true potential, than accept the fact that huge portions of our lives are out of our control. Out of anyone's control.

Add to that the fact that film and tv have basically raised these men to believe that white boys get the hot chick and the awesome job and live happily ever after.

So every economic downturn, someone gets to take the blame. Jews, Immigrants (Irish, Chinese, Mexican, etc), commies, black people. I guess this time around for some young white men, the target is feminists.

I don't know. That's my own pet theory.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

Baika posted:

Enjoy.

It's such an amazing idea to put a necklace on a baby. That can't turn out badly at all.
A radio presented talked about how she had put her necklace on a chicken when she was a child. The chicken had run off and the necklace had gotten caught in a fence and it died from strangulation.
Also, that baby has some douchebag clothes. Such bad parents all around.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

losonti tokash posted:

Not sure about Medicare, but whether Medicaid does is up to the state. Nebraska Medicaid definitely does cover chiropractic visits.

Eugh. I know Ohio Medicaid certainly doesn't, anyway. ('Course, Ohio's Medicaid is probably one of the better implementations I've had to deal with out of it and Oklahoma's...)

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Flaskraven posted:

It's such an amazing idea to put a necklace on a baby. That can't turn out badly at all.

That's another bit of woo-woo quackery; the amber necklace is supposed to ease the pain when the child is teething.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

In other news, Roseanne Barr is flying off the goddamn handle on Twitter about sharia law and how it's immoral to women or something like that. She's becoming almost the same level of crazy as Tila Tequila.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Zeether posted:

In other news, Roseanne Barr is flying off the goddamn handle on Twitter about sharia law and how it's immoral to women or something like that. She's becoming almost the same level of crazy as Tila Tequila.

Has she gotten to Hitler-apology levels yet?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I'm sure plenty of folks are conflicted about how to feel about it - fat liberal woman with 90s pro abortion sitcom but critical of muslims.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Zeether posted:

Hahaha what a joke of a woman. Sharia Law is perfectly fair to women and gender equal.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Flaskraven posted:

Judging by the clothes, that kid has a 95 percent chance of being named "Aiden".

Zeether posted:

There's quite a few levels of crazy between "racist aunt at thanksgiving" and "literally wants to be hitler because of aliens, lizardmen, and a jewish conspiracy. Also a drone strike killed Paul Walker"

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also a drone strike killed Paul Walker

Please, do go on.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

MizPiz posted:

Please, do go on.

"Are you 2 Fast for THIS, Paul Walker?"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MizPiz posted:

Please, do go on.

Turns out I was wrong, she thought it was ritual murder, it was some other whackos claiming drones.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/09/tila-tequila-paul-walker-murdered_n_4414501.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment&ir=Entertainment

As for the drone thing, the crux of their argument is that a 6 inch in diameter tree couldn't wreck a car, which leads me to believe they've never seen something hit a tiny tree. Fuckers don't budge.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Flaskraven posted:

A radio presented talked about how she had put her necklace on a chicken when she was a child. The chicken had run off and the necklace had gotten caught in a fence and it died from strangulation.

That was my first thought. "Is it really a good idea to put a very tight necklace with very small parts on a very small toddler?" If that kid doesn't die at the hands of a chiropractor, it'll die from some other parental ineptitude.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Baika posted:

Enjoy.

It makes me think back to that one chiropractor thread.

Point out that by this logic, we should also give babies prostate exams and colonoscopies.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Point out that by this logic, we should also give babies prostate exams and colonoscopies.

or just point out that chiropractors literally aren't real doctors, in my experience an awful lot of people don't know this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Eds posted:

I'm "Tara Misu" and "Reed Iculous" is the guy who reposted this stupid thing.
This thread reminds me of how lucky I am to only friend people dumb enough to think the "Like/share for a free Praystaton 4!" Like farming pages are legit.

• Locked thread