Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Shoehead posted:

Haha I just broke the game trying to make a recipe. Oh man restoring the old files is taking forever, I should be more careful.

Are you replacing/editing the default assets, or using the 'mods' folder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

ShadowMar posted:

It's a cluster grenade launcher.

I found it in the X Sector on X 16535259 Y -53365504, X Gamma Mon 80 III, Level 10 to the left of spawn in a chest on the surface.

There's also two avian airships on the planet.

Yeah that's not the grenade launcher I found.

The projectiles are actual 1 block high pigs with dynamite strapped to them, they run straight ahead after you fire them and can't jump.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Korgan posted:

Yeah that's not the grenade launcher I found.

The projectiles are actual 1 block high pigs with dynamite strapped to them, they run straight ahead after you fire them and can't jump.

That's really... really great.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

MShadowy posted:

Alrighty. I think I'm at the point where I can call this basically done, not that I particularly expect anyone to care, since you all, quite reasonably, want to build your own ships. Now I need to actually create a race for it.

Priorities!

Just wanna quote this from a couple of pages back to say that i really like it (and Vagyr ships in general)
Do you plan to make it usable before you got a whole race going? And if not would be mind if i made an attempt over the weekend?

I could see the Pride of Hiigara/Bananaship design making for a fun layout too.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I found a huge Floran settlement on my starter planet, and got a blueprint for "The Special" out of it. How do I actually use it?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I found a huge Floran settlement on my starter planet, and got a blueprint for "The Special" out of it. How do I actually use it?

Eat the blueprint.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I actually got a random-drop gun from a human guard on my starter planet. Too bad it's like 1 damage, 3 DPS, one-handed. No knockback so you have to dodge around enemies as you pew pew at them.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ShadowMar posted:

Eat the blueprint.

This isn't a Floran joke, either, you actually use it like you would food.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I found a chest so tiny that I couldn't figure out how in the hell to click on it.. so I broke it with my matter manipulator thingie. I got some pixels from it, just hope I didn't wreck something else.

This game is fun, but I wish some things were made clearer. Like, I never would have known you could put blocks in the background or hold Shift to change from 4 blocks to 1 unless I read it here. I realize now there's some tutorial documents but they never actually make you pull the page up and read it. I also wish it was more abundantly clear which enemies are real threats. Like, in real life, even if I had never seen them before, I could look at a tiger verses, say, a cow and know which one is more threatening. In this game, who the gently caress knows? The pigeons can murder you with laser beams for no good reason.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

New Leaf posted:

I found a chest so tiny that I couldn't figure out how in the hell to click on it.. so I broke it with my matter manipulator thingie. I got some pixels from it, just hope I didn't wreck something else.

Those little capsules can't be clicked, you have to mine them or whack them with your sword to get the pixels out. :) They come in different sizes from a few blocks tall down to half-block ones that are easy to miss in the grass!

The controls (at least some of them) are listed in the game, in your journal/lore page. It isn't very in-depth though and might vary between the different races, as they have different journal entries.

A shrubbery! fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 12, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ShadowMar posted:

Eat the blueprint.

Makes sense.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I don't understand why people have so much trouble with the controls. There's a codex entry that explains all of them. Is it really that preposterous to assume that players will read that in a sandbox game?

This is why so many AAA titles have those lovely hand-holding tutorials that teach you to press 'w' to move forward.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

ShadowMar posted:

I found it in the X Sector on X 16535259 Y -53365504, X Gamma Mon 80 III, Level 10 to the left of spawn in a chest on the surface.

:stare: Um, well, time to spit some dudes I guess.

e: And in the next surface chest only slightly to the left:

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 12, 2013

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

Follow That Fish! posted:

The starting planet for my newest char had a MASSIVE Glitch castle in it. It had two kinds of Glitches: hostile ones wearing medieval armor and weapons, and neutral ones wearing more peasant-like clothing. The neutrals spoke enviously about my life of freedom. I can only assume that the armored ones had enslaved them. :stare:

Promptly went to wipe out the whole hostile population in the castle and cleaned out most of the castle. Ended up with well over 2500 pixels, shittons of stimpaks and different melee weapons. Including a lightning hammer called Throbbing Kilthunker.

Also, some of the knight Glitches were mounted. This game.

If someone wants to check out the castle, it's at Alpha Praecipua 62 II. X: 69431811 Y: 84748501. Go left from the beam point, it isn't very far.

I visited this place and murdered everyone. Got tons of metal bars (including platinum), about 3000 credits, and a ton of other crap. It is literally a gold mine. Thanks for the coords!

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Did uranium get removed or something? I've been trying to find some for ages to replace my coal usage but haven't found any. I'm even using cooridnates that had it in a previous patch but now theres none.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ShadowMar posted:

I found this in the chest just to the left of it. It's a bombchu gun.

My cluster grenade ended up a little different. I wonder what the different colored grenade means.

There's also a rocket launcher a bit further to the left, past a couple merchants and another chest.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 12, 2013

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Iretep posted:

Did uranium get removed or something? I've been trying to find some for ages to replace my coal usage but haven't found any. I'm even using cooridnates that had it in a previous patch but now theres none.

What level planets are you going to? I'm swimming in uranium (which is probably really bad, health-wise) after just mining the stuff I see from the surface.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Iretep posted:

I first found it on a TL4 planet.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Do seeds also dictate ore specific locations?

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
I was so close to getting this to work, but so far :smith:

What I've been working on modding is a brand new planetary type with a unique dungeon. I was trying to make it sort of like a death-star thing with lots of corridors and possible treasure, but the planet itself would be pretty rare. A gigantic orbiting dungeon, basically.

Only issue is that I can't make it spawn only on that planet type. I can only whitelist it for all planets. I tried instead making it spawn similar to microdungeons (so stuff like houses and pots/chests), but that causes issues like in the image. It won't properly generate the dungeon, causing it to either stop far shorter than it should or just outright be overwritten by the terrain generator.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

My cluster grenade ended up a little different. I wonder what the different colored grenade means.

Different elemental damage maybe? Does your green cluster grenade poison stuff?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

ShadowMar posted:

What level planets are you going to? I'm swimming in uranium (which is probably really bad, health-wise) after just mining the stuff I see from the surface.

I'm checking tier 4 planets right now. I saw them at beta planets earlier so id assume I should be getting tons of it by now.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

CJacobs posted:

Every single one of those person-high capsules has exploded poison gas and killed me instantly upon use. All of them.

This isn't random, you're opening them wrong. Open them from as far away as possible, and step away when you do. You'll avoid the damage-burst blast, but the smoke will linger, and you can touch it with relative safely. You may get poisoned or burned, but a single bandage will out-heal that.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

XboxPants posted:

This isn't random, you're opening them wrong. Open them from as far away as possible, and step away when you do. You'll avoid the damage-burst blast, but the smoke will linger, and you can touch it with relative safely. You may get poisoned or burned, but a single bandage will out-heal that.

Except on high level planets, where even with impervium armor, you will be one-shot from a poison pod. They're basically never, ever, ever worth it.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Iretep posted:

I'm checking tier 4 planets right now. I saw them at beta planets earlier so id assume I should be getting tons of it by now.

Level 5+ planets are full of uranium so start checking those out once you're able to.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

DelphiAegis posted:

Except on high level planets, where even with impervium armor, you will be one-shot from a poison pod. They're basically never, ever, ever worth it.

Sure, but anything above Tier 4 is completely broken and basically just meant to give you a way to see late-game items. In the proper game, that strategy works fine.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

The matter manipulator really should be closer to stone tools. Starting a new character and having to stand there and 'tac tac tac' on 4 blocks of stone or a tree really is brutal. It's like the first 15 minutes of a character are completely overhead while you prepare a set of stone tools before the game starts. Otherwise I feel like the pace of mining down and hoarding up ores is actually pretty satisfying -- although I guess they just tweaked the ore?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

DelphiAegis posted:

Are we talking about those spinning things that look like bigger versions of those little pods that contain pixels? Because every time I've used one, I got healed except for one time when I got a jump boost. These were all on TL2 and below though.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

PiCroft posted:

Are we talking about those spinning things that look like bigger versions of those little pods that contain pixels? Because every time I've used one, I got healed except for one time when I got a jump boost. These were all on TL2 and below though.

My first 2 exploded and killed me, so I just assumed they were a really really weird design choice for a negative item.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Bistromatic posted:

Just wanna quote this from a couple of pages back to say that i really like it (and Vagyr ships in general)
Do you plan to make it usable before you got a whole race going? And if not would be mind if i made an attempt over the weekend?

I could see the Pride of Hiigara/Bananaship design making for a fun layout too.

I was planning on making it usable first, aye. One thing at a time, after all. I've since made a few tweaks with positioning to try and make sure the grid is set up correctly and all, but I haven't been able to test the layout yet since I had incorrectly assumed that last nights patch corrupted my install and am currently reinstalling the game; I'd forgotten that my Nvidia drivers had gone through an update earlier which was causing OpenGL to not initialize properly and crashing the game when I tried to start it. Derp.

So it'll probably be a bit, but I think everything is matching up properly. (agh, that horrible eyesearing red in the dropshipblocks png)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dezztroy posted:

Different elemental damage maybe? Does your green cluster grenade poison stuff?

Nope. It shoots a grenade that explodes in midair into half a dozen or so submunitions that are sent down and forward.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Baldbeard posted:

My first 2 exploded and killed me, so I just assumed they were a really really weird design choice for a negative item.

The jump boost one actually hurt me slightly, so I thought it was a bugged or half-finished game item. Maybe it is.

But to address your point about MM, you can mod the MM to make it more useful. I modded mine to roughly copper-pick level, but with only 1 block radius. This makes it useful for breaking things like vines, trees and small pockets of ore near the surface, but if I want to do some serious mining, or gather large amounts of stuff for building, I need to use a pick.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

PiCroft posted:

Yeah, there's a chance they'll heal, burn, poison or instakill you, or give you glowing or speed boost buffs. It's almost never worth opening them because the negative effects are way more annoying than the positives are beneficial.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

FZeroRacer posted:

I was so close to getting this to work, but so far :smith:

What I've been working on modding is a brand new planetary type with a unique dungeon. I was trying to make it sort of like a death-star thing with lots of corridors and possible treasure, but the planet itself would be pretty rare. A gigantic orbiting dungeon, basically.

Only issue is that I can't make it spawn only on that planet type. I can only whitelist it for all planets. I tried instead making it spawn similar to microdungeons (so stuff like houses and pots/chests), but that causes issues like in the image. It won't properly generate the dungeon, causing it to either stop far shorter than it should or just outright be overwritten by the terrain generator.

You have a thread for this on the official forums? Devs have been really great so far at supporting modder's new ideas. They are working on code for acid rain for the toxic world mod, maybe they can add support for planet/biome specific features.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

MShadowy posted:

So it'll probably be a bit, but I think everything is matching up properly. (agh, that horrible eyesearing red in the dropshipblocks png)

As long as the shipship.png is exactly 8x bigger horizontal and vertical than dropshipblocks.png the images will overlap perfectly*

*once you set the position variable in the config file for that race to 0,0

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Zereth posted:

Now this is odd. I went to coordinates for a gamma sector planet when I hadn't noticed they were gamma, not delta.

Yet there's still a system "Delta Aquacia 1409", with a "III a", which also has an avian airship near spawn. Magma instead of grassland, though.

:frogsiren: Gamma and Delta have the same universes :frogsiren:

If you found a cool $anything in Gamma, go to the same coordinates in Delta and you'll find it again. Tech chests, villages, you name it.

Verranicus posted:

How do you change the default planet new player sstart at in multiplayer?

starbound.config has "defaultWorldCoordinate" entry, try mucking with that?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MShadowy posted:

Thank ye. As for the species, well, I haven't really made any decisions as far as aesthetics yet, but the ship speaks to me of a race with a tendency to go haring off on wildly ill conceived adventures at the drop of a hat; it could probably be considered a stroke of luck that they haven't blown their home planet up or something similarly preposterous.

Rabbit race. Who eats birds, for perfect hilarity when the bird people start worshipping them.

Also is there a way to eat things from inventory, or do I have to put it in a hot bar first?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Guys, sorry, lemme ask that one more time.

I'm about to go to that planet in Alpha that that dude said had Diamonds in a certain location. Do we know if Seed Coords dictate exact Ore locations? (i.e.: the same)

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Rabbit race. Who eats birds, for perfect hilarity when the bird people start worshipping them.

Also is there a way to eat things from inventory, or do I have to put it in a hot bar first?

Pick it up on your cursor, and click outside the inventory screen. You won't drop it, simply use the item. This is how you use blueprints, too. Moreover, if you move the inventory screen, you can place objects directly from your inventory this way as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

They just posted this on Twitter as "something they've been working on":

• Locked thread