Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

BrianWilly posted:

Just to clarify: Solomon Grundy was originally a villain for the first, golden age Green Lantern Alan Scott, who has very little to do with the modern Green Lantern Corps featuring that guy Ryan Reynolds played.

Since then Grundy's become more of a general DCU villain that more or less every hero or team has faced at some point or another, including Green Arrow, but he's not really a "major" foe for anyone. So it's not quite the same as having, say, the Penguin or Brainiac on this show or anything.

One of the best battles with Grundy was Green Arrow vs. Grundy in the loving Batcave. Grundy considers Arrow a C-list opponent at best and he's there to smash the Bat. Arrow beats the crap out of him. Best quote from the fight, "I draw a 150# longbow. I may be a little stronger than I look."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

gently caress YES!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Spergatory posted:

Speaking of Batman; are they still making the 'Gotham' show? Because that doesn't sound like a terribly compelling idea for a series to me. I'm sure Commissioner Gordon is a fine and interesting character in his own right but he can't really do anything, can he? All the Bat-villains still have to be around when Batman shows up, and Gotham City still has to be terrible so Batman can save it (or not). So it's a show where we know going in the protagonist is doomed to fail and that things are only ever going to get worse because he isn't really the protagonist (that's Batman). What exactly is the draw here? :raise:

Gotham in theory isn't going to be about Batman.

It's set in Gotham City, after Bruce's parents died(That's probably how the season opens If I have to guess), but before Bruce left to train. A 10 year old Bruce is supposedly a character in the series.

It was probably another seperate crime drama in development when someone was like, Hey why don't we set this in Gotham City.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Didn't the crazies show up when Batman did, and not before? I'm all for a Gotham Central-like TV show... but only if you show the cops fighting actual Batman villains.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

You could make it like an opposite Shield, have Gordon lie and deal with office politics while trying to be a good cop.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
The only version of Salomon Grundy I knew was from Superfriends.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
Call me a cynic but I think Gotham is about trying to cash in on some sweet sweet comic book money without having to make a comic book show. TV already knows how to do a rote police procedural so they're gonna stick with what they know.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Crunk Abortion posted:

Call me a cynic but I think Gotham is about trying to cash in on some sweet sweet comic book money without having to make a comic book show. TV already knows how to do a rote police procedural so they're gonna stick with what they know.

If it's a police procedural with even half of Arrow's level of craziness, it's gonna be appointment television for me.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

JayMax posted:

The only version of Salomon Grundy I knew was from Superfriends.

GRUNDY WANT PANTS TOO!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JohnSherman posted:

If it's a police procedural with even half of Arrow's level of craziness, it's gonna be appointment television for me.

It's on Fox and done by a completely different team (the creator of The Mentalist). And as of right now I wouldn't trust anything originating from DC not done by these people.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Someone mentioned this on the AV club comments, but it was so good not to say here. Since Slade is now going after everyone Oliver cares about, including Thea... her biological father might not like that :allears:. Ollie/Malcolm teamup would be killer.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I'm not sure how I feel about the whistling noises when Arrow was fighting the Supergoon.

Cityinthesea posted:

Someone mentioned this on the AV club comments, but it was so good not to say here. Since Slade is now going after everyone Oliver cares about, including Thea... her biological father might not like that :allears:. Ollie/Malcolm teamup would be killer.
Aw, that'd be great

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Slade still called The Vigilante his friend, maybe there is hope for Slade to forgive Ollie? (After lots of awesome fighting of course)

Gotta keep options open, not like this show is easy to predict.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa, seriously that Flash origin scene. The music was awesome, I hope they use that as the Flash motif.

Speaking of motifs I love how they always bust out the Arrow "wwwWWWWAAAAAAAAA" when Ollie starts kicking rear end.

Also, haha Amell personally crushing dreams.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 12, 2013

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

hi liter posted:

Slade still called The Vigilante his friend, maybe there is hope for Slade to forgive Ollie? (After lots of awesome fighting of course)

Gotta keep options open, not like this show is easy to predict.

What part of "shove an arrow in his eye" was most ambiguous to you?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

jscolon2.0 posted:

But he said it in such a friendly manner!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

jscolon2.0 posted:

Eyepatches are cool. He's going to help him look cool. He didn't say kill him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Geoff Johns And Andrew Kreisberg Talk THE FLASH's Future After ARROW's Electrifying Finale

quote:

"In the same way that "Arrow" was conducive to bringing on characters like Deadshot and the Huntress and some of the more grounded people, hopefully with "The Flash" there's a way to bring on some of the more fantastical characters, that will probably still go through the grounding lens with which we view everything," Kreisberg adds. "But we could tackle some of the bigger villains, and possibly heroes. There's a hint of a major character in the pilot." Many fans often demand that even more well-known DC superheroes are introduced through series' such as these, but the executive producer has a very good reason why that's not always necessarily the best idea. "It's always important to remember -- like with "Arrow," everybody wants Batman to come on and whatnot, but Arrow has to be the coolest person on "Arrow." The same thing with "The Flash" -- Barry has to be the coolest person."

Here's the Flash origin scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynd-om7M4FY

Notice the name of the anchor?

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 12, 2013

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

jscolon2.0 posted:

None of it? Just having fun speculating about possible twists coming down the line, while commenting on how this show does not shy away from strong emotions and aggressive (but sensible) character development.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Nice.

However, and I meant to bring this up before, I assume she's broadcasting from protests near the accelerator. She's dead now, right? It seriously blew up in a giant explosion. (I'm sure they'll hand wave it all away by clarifying she was not near it but drat)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

zoux posted:

Here's the Flash origin scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynd-om7M4FY

Maybe she's Linda Park Senior 'cause I'm not sure I can handle Wally getting with someone who's older than his uncle. :saddowns:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also can I post a comic panel as long as it's not linked in line and spoilered?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
So, I enjoyed the episode, it's great that they've got so much going on and it's all so good. (Felicity's actress was doing her best work in the early scenes there.) But it reminded me how much I wish the show had better writing - in terms of dialogue (their plotting is better than pretty much every other show right now). I would've liked them to do more with Shado (terrible name, by the way) during that little countdown that would've made it more tense and more emotional. I also felt they should've done more in a previous episode with Slade and Oliver in Slade's Fake Death Scene. He said some final words to Shado but there was nothing on the bromance. I mean, he trained Ollie and kept him alive on that island!

The build up to the Slade reveal was a little silly when you hear that New Zealdian growl - we weren't exactly expecting Barrowman there. And I'm honestly a little disappointed by the twist, given that almost everyone from the island is still alive and out there. But it's kind of cool, anyway and it's not like they haven't hinted at this before.

And poor Roger Cross. Goddamn. Guy gets unceremoniously killed off again!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

VagueRant posted:

And I'm honestly a little disappointed by the twist, given that almost everyone from the island is still alive and out there.

It's 2 people. Ollie met like 50 on that island.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Blame the comics for Shado's name. Mike Grell created her.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Yeah, Shado was built up until the bombing attack, after which she was basically tossed out in favour of Sarah.

On the other hand, her character development was fairly glacial.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
In retrospect I was pretty irritated at Shado's death. I saw it coming, but I had really been hoping she'd show up in the present day to sow drama.

Baby drama.

Alas, they went in a different, fridgier direction.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I think Sin is a more interesting character thence Laurel is.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Slasherfan posted:

I think Sin is a more interesting character thence Laurel is.

Significantly so. Hell, Summer Glau's character is more interesting than Laurel and I can't even remember her name.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Isobel right?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

VagueRant posted:

The build up to the Slade reveal was a little silly when you hear that New Zealdian growl - we weren't exactly expecting Barrowman there. And I'm honestly a little disappointed by the twist, given that almost everyone from the island is still alive and out there. But it's kind of cool, anyway and it's not like they haven't hinted at this before.

To be fair, I don't think the "reveal" is that it's Slade. The reveal is that he's missing an eye.

Yeah, the episode last night pretty well validates the argument that this version of Flash is DC's answer to Spiderman. Everything from the score to the aesthetic of this scene comes straight out of the Sam Raimi Spiderman films. Whimsical Elfman-esque piano, vaguely expressionistic shadows all over the place, hyper-saturated color all over the frame...

There's also a sort of earnest cheesiness to the way this and the "Barry arrives in Starling City" scenes are staged and composed. Barry arrives in driving rain, haplessly covering his head with a magazine...which happens to foreshadow the particle accelerator. The shot frames his Converse shoes near the curb (before showing his face, if I remember correctly), emphasizing his youth. There's something way more playful about his scenes; the tonal differences from Oliver's world in Arrow are so stark.

(I should clarify: I'm psyched they're handling it this way. The Raimi Spiderman movies are actually pretty great, and kind of hit the right tone for a fantastical character like the Flash. Trying to portray him as a dour Nolan Batman type would be absurd, but this is on-point.)

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Xealot posted:

To be fair, I don't think the "reveal" is that it's Slade. The reveal is that he's missing an eye.

And that he knows what Ollie is up to, thusly has a good idea outside of his family that he is close to (felicity and diggle are in the crossfire), and we know he knows he has the advantage of the element of surprise on all of that.

It was about the awesome position that Slade is in to screw Ollie's life up. Its the tension of Barrowman being alive and knowing Arrow's secret cranked up by a mirakuru special ops badass who taught him his moves and is bent on jamming a pointy stick in his eye.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 12, 2013

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I'm just happy because it means Manu Bennett is going to be on the show more instead of being written out after "dying" on the island.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

So I haven't followed the machinations of this show at all: has The Flash been greenlight for his own series then?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

So I haven't followed the machinations of this show at all: has The Flash been greenlight for his own series then?

Yeah the original plan was to do the Flash episodes as a backdoor pilot to gauge interest, but the reaction was so positive they went ahead and greenlit a series.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have no words. So much joy right now.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

zoux posted:

Yeah the original plan was to do the Flash episodes as a backdoor pilot to gauge interest, but the reaction was so positive they went ahead and greenlit a series.

Interest has already been gauged at "maximum".

I can't wait. Is it really scheduled for end of next year? There's an awful long time for a cliffhanger, so I hope they drop more in Arrow. But then, I also enjoy BBC's Sherlock, and that has had a cliffhanger for quite some time.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Dracorion posted:

Seems the "choice" Ollie made on the island was just to put himself between Ivo and the person he was pointed the gun at. Slade's just overreacting because LOVE.

LOVE and being lied to for however long it goes on for. If Ollie had explained things before Sarah boned it up with the lie things would have probably gone different that's why it's tragic.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Just to clarify; the Flash pilot has been greenlit. The series itself has not. If the CW likes the pilot, they'll order the series. If not, it'll disappear into the nether like Aquaman, never to be seen or heard from again.

I really hope that doesn't happen. With this team, I don't really see how it could, but I don't want to get my hopes up too much. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

VDay posted:

I'm just happy because it means Manu Bennett is going to be on the show more instead of being written out after "dying" on the island.

Given that Ollie says he's fought someone on Mirakuru before, we still have an epic on-island throwdown coming.

• Locked thread