Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I like home steaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Since this is in Games I took an earnest effort to read the comic and read the first 5 and got insanely bored and closed the tab and am thinking it's for the best, sorry.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Louisgod posted:

Since this is in Games I took an earnest effort to read the comic and read the first 5 and got insanely bored and closed the tab and am thinking it's for the best, sorry.

Can you do us a favor and close this thread too

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Louisgod posted:

I have posted over one thousand times in this thread and I can honestly say that it is dangerous and irresponsible to recommend that a person attempt to read Homestuck. It's like motorcycles or prescription medication.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Louisgod posted:

Eh
Most here have a kind of love-hate-high-low thing going on with the comic, unlike the cult the comic has cultivated (which namco high's trying to milk). To read it you kind of have to just appreciate it as a random experimental thing, which not everyone is going to like. What the comic is changes constantly as the author tries new things.

I certainly have not been able to get anyone else to read it.

I have to say I'm really, really disappointed with namco high.
The rest of the game's sillyness and humor shown with the namco characters is really not applied to the homestuck choices. They're trying to cater to the dumb obsessed assholes that paint themselves grey and spit into buckets in public. Davesprite is pure tumblr-bait, and Jane and Terezi will probably be treated that way too. At least they only chose ONE troll out of the loving 24+ in the comic.
They could have done so much better, with Hussie himself on board. This will make them more money of course, but if they had remained true to the comic's chatlogs the results would probably be fun to see.

What I'm saying is that the Mayor was the go-to choice here they really dropped the ball.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rita Repulsa posted:

At least they only chose ONE troll out of the loving 24+ in the comic.
In a surprise twist, all the characters will merge together to form Fat Vriska.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
yeah I would recommend Problem Sleuth, not Homestuck at this point. or at least Jailbreak

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Homestuck is not for everyone! It is a very different medium than your traditional webcomic. Also, insomuch as it is a metaphor for both growing up AND a metaphor for video games, the first couple acts is basically the 'tutorial' of the 'game' that is Homestuck. It's the kill ten rats and learn to use a healing potion of the story: Very simple, but necessary to understand the game/story later.

Things that Homestuck does well, that you may or may not be interested in:
- Long, meandering, funny, well-voiced dialogs between the various characters.
- Excellent use of chekhov guns
- Well-made flash 'cutscenes'
- Simple user-controlled flash 'walkarounds' in the form of top-down SNES-era RPGs that progress the story.

If it's not for you, it's not for you. But it works for a lot of people.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

NextTime000 posted:

yeah I would recommend Problem Sleuth, not Homestuck at this point. or at least Jailbreak

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

yes. exactly.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Only read Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I stopped reading this once the troll ghosts were introduced... One of them was some kind of Non-Vriska, I think? The actual Vriska was already extremely painful to read, to be honest, with the way the story pushed her into the spotlight EVERY drat TIME, and how the whole story (even the goddamn dialogue) seems to bend around some particular contrived point the author's trying to make. When she died for the second, then believed final (?) time, I actually cheered. Finally, some closure! And a fitting end! No more!

Then, ghosts. :sigh:

And when we got Not-Vriska, I just quit. Long, meandering bullshit. Super-serious dialogue, which gets even MORE long-winded and boring, not to mention stilted. And THEN, at some point, being long-winded and boring turns into her thing, only it wasn't funny ever, and it looks like an attempt to salvage a running joke from this.

I loved Problem Sleuth because it was never serious. You SUCK at serious, Hussie! :mad:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I like Homestuck! Equius is cool

Extra Koos
Nov 2, 2013

Louisgod posted:

Fully appreciating Homestuck can require a great deal of focus and energy. I recommend gaining some by eating a carb.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Now if we can just bring over the threads for Gunnerkrigg Court, Cucumber Quest and Paranatural, I'd never have to step outside of Games again

Extra Koos
Nov 2, 2013

Though admittedly Louisgod, it takes longer than five comics until Homestuck's brilliance takes hold. It doesn't have the immediate gratification of, say, some fatty jerky.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Suaimhneas posted:

Now if we can just bring over the threads for Gunnerkrigg Court, Cucumber Quest and Paranatural, I'd never have to step outside of Games again

Yeah, now that I think about it every other thread in bss is pretty poo poo. Printed comics are dumb and bad and so are people who spend their money buying them (only to complain about them on the internet afterwards but keep buying 'em anyway).

I'm mostly kidding, Spiderman an batman are like, totally cool.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
It's also possible that the cosplay pictures and weirdo obsessive fanbase have blurred my senses to what is clearly an amazing webcomic.

Koos we should compare how much I've spent on jerky to how much you've spent on Homestuck avatars for people.

Extra Koos
Nov 2, 2013

The financial burden of the jerky is only part of what makes it funny, Louisgod.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The only serial webcomic worth reading is Gunnerkrieg. At least so far.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

notZaar posted:

The only serial webcomic worth reading is Gunnerkrieg. At least so far.

You misspelled Paranatural.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Seoinin posted:

Cucumber Quest is also good without a horrible fanbase (that I know about)

[e] what I read of that elder scrolls comic in the vein of homestuck was also pretty decent.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

DrManiac posted:

Oh, my sweet summer child...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

DrManiac posted:

[e] what I read of that elder scrolls comic in the vein of homestuck was also pretty decent.

Prequel. (Which also has a thread.)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Problem Sleuth was hilarious if you liked those old lucasarts puzzle bullshit games. Homestuck is so far up its own rear end right now that I'm starting to retroactively hate it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Seoinin posted:

My bad let me try again: Gunnerkrieg Court

Dang there it goes again. I guess I didn't make a mistake after all.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I was kidding. GKC is good too, if very English.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

notZaar posted:

I don't know man I think you did.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

notZaar posted:

Anybody else wanna tell him or can I? :v:

e: Ah hell, I waited long enough. You spelled "Gunnerkrigg Court" wrong, dude.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 12, 2013

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

notZaar posted:

The only serial webcomic worth reading is Ctrl Alt Del. At least so far.

That's just my opinion though.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Wait really? It has its own thread?

My mind always boggles when I catch glimpses of the popularity of this product of the MSPAFA forum.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Robust Laser posted:

Wait really? It has its own thread?

My mind always boggles when I catch glimpses of the popularity of this product of the MSPAFA forum.

It's no longer confined to the forum.
It's gotten its own website and has done some interesting javascript things homestuck hasn't. I haven't read it in months though. The author's quite the strange one and outright states some... things he shouldn't about his intent that I tried to ignore for a while and then could not. You'll find out if you read the thread.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Rita Repulsa posted:

It's no longer confined to the forum.
It's gotten its own website and has done some interesting javascript things homestuck hasn't. I haven't read it in months though. The author's quite the strange one and outright states some... things he shouldn't about his intent that I tried to ignore for a while and then could not. You'll find out if you read the thread.

Yeah I was around for just long enough to see it have its thread solely for suggestions, and I still thought it was crazy then.

What I'm saying is I preferred Superego

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Dizz posted:

That's just my opinion though.

Dominic Deegan ending and the CTR ALT DEL mock threads being banned pretty much killed me going to BSS.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Homestuck'll probably belong in games sooner or later. There's only one more update coming for the comic, then it'll be all Homestuck Adventure Game speculation for a couple years.

Also gotta agree that the Namco High choices are kind of disappointingly earnest when stacked up against the Galaga ship. It seems unlike Hussie when he had such a huge cast of minor character monstrosities to pick from.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair, one of his choices IS a bird ghost time traveler.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Louisgod posted:

It's also possible that the cosplay pictures and weirdo obsessive fanbase have blurred my senses to what is clearly an amazing webcomic.

Koos we should compare how much I've spent on jerky to how much you've spent on Homestuck avatars for people.

I'd figure a games mod of all people would understand something mildly amusing ruined by loud, obsessive creeps. :v:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Robust Laser posted:

Yeah I was around for just long enough to see it have its thread solely for suggestions, and I still thought it was crazy then.

What I'm saying is I preferred Superego

People tell me Superego resumed a few weeks ago, after a very long break. Maybe I'll go re-read it?

(If we're passing around MSPAFA recommendations, I remember thinking the one about stick figures gaining creativity by huffing paint was pretty OK. Can't remember the name for the life of me, though.)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Burkion posted:

To be fair, one of his choices IS a bird ghost time traveler.

Exactly, that's incredibly tame by fan-blogger standards. I'd say Donko ranks second, but it's not really even a close second because despite being a drum it actually has hands, and a face.

If it weren't limited to lesser-known brands I'd say that a reasonable contender for Galaga ship might be Soul Edge. There's just something about this menacing length of metal... :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is the best product of the MSPA Forums.

No really, it's loving amazing.