Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Argh, more tech "news" seriously, are people tired of the rumor mill yet?
Except @evleaks is fairly reliable. A 8.3" tablet doesn't really make sense when there's already a Nexus 7, though. I'm hoping it turns out to be a Nexus 9 with an 8.9" 2560x1600 screen, but I haven't read anything that would indicate that it's a possibility.

There's really not much information out there other than what the International Business Times has made up, so it could be anything. Here's what I think to be the most likely to be true, and it's still this-or-that stuff.

It will be made by Asus or LG
It will have a Tegra 4 or Snapdragon 800
It will have 2 or 3 GB of RAM
It will have a 10" 1600p screen or a 8.3" 1200p screen

That's what I get after eliminating rumors that say obviously wrong poo poo like SD card slots and 1920x1080 resolution on a 10" screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Except @evleaks is fairly reliable. A 8.3" tablet doesn't really make sense when there's already a Nexus 7, though. I'm hoping it turns out to be a Nexus 9 with an 8.9" 2560x1600 screen, but I haven't read anything that would indicate that it's a possibility.

There's really not much information out there other than what the International Business Times has made up, so it could be anything. Here's what I think to be the most likely to be true, and it's still this-or-that stuff.

It will be made by Asus or LG
It will have a Tegra 4 or Snapdragon 800
It will have 2 or 3 GB of RAM
It will have a 10" 1600p screen or a 8.3" 1200p screen

That's what I get after eliminating rumors that say obviously wrong poo poo like SD card slots and 1920x1080 resolution on a 10" screen.

Isn't there a 4:3 LG tablet? I'd much rather have a 4:3 tablet. 16:10 or 16:10 makes sense for watching movies, but for reading (which I primary use my tablet for) 4:3 is much more preferable.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Isn't there a 4:3 LG tablet? I'd much rather have a 4:3 tablet. 16:10 or 16:10 makes sense for watching movies, but for reading (which I primary use my tablet for) 4:3 is much more preferable.
LG made at least two 4:3 phones and they were terrible. If you want 4:3 get an iPad. Androids have settled on 16:9 phones and 16:10 tablets. 16:10 is closer to a book anyway.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

On that note does anyone have any opinions on the LG G Pad 8? I'd like to upgrade my 2012 N7 but I'm set on 8 inches.

I'd probably flat out get one if there was a decent ROM community :(

e: Oooh http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/lg-v510-nexus-leak/

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 9, 2013

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Are there any volume booster / preamp apps that actually do anything? I mostly use my Nexus 7 for watching Youtube and as often as not I struggle to hear it. I've tried SpeakerBoost and VolumeBoost and neither seemed to make any difference.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Daimo posted:

On that note does anyone have any opinions on the LG G Pad 8? I'd like to upgrade my 2012 N7 but I'm set on 8 inches.

I'd probably flat out get one if there was a decent ROM community :(

e: Oooh http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/lg-v510-nexus-leak/

There's no way it's a Nexus. People construed way too much from a badly photoshopped ad on google's site.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
It's not a Nexus. It's a Google Play Edition tablet.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I see :monocle:

I'll be checking that out then.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
My problem with my N7 (2013) in a nutshell.
My N7 has been sitting on my desk, untouched, for over an hour. Movement catches my eye, its the boot animation. Untouched it decides to reboot. Why? No idea.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

ilkhan posted:

My N7 has been sitting on my desk, untouched, for over an hour. Movement catches my eye, its the boot animation. Untouched it decides to reboot. Why? No idea.

:it is an android:

If you contact google support, their stock answer is that you should factory reset your tablet. If it continues to happen, they'll send you a warranty replacement.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

ilkhan posted:

Sounds like yours is defective, i don't have this problem and i've never heard of anyone else having this problem.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Civil posted:

:it is an android:

If you contact google support, their stock answer is that you should factory reset your tablet. If it continues to happen, they'll send you a warranty replacement.

This is why you never use an Android device as an alarm clock.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Solution: I use three.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I've had more issues forgetting to turn alarms on than I do having Android devices spontaneously reboot.

The Nexus 7 just has the "power" of Asus, I guess.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tha Chodesweller posted:

The Nexus 7 just has the "power" of Asus, I guess.

No, it's the power of being a Nexus device.

I've owned 4 nexus devices. I prefer the clean look of stock andorid. However, stability is not the strong suit of nexus devices. Every single one I've owned has gone through a "spontaneous reboot" phase that's fixed later by either an OS patch or an app update.

The latest rounds of reboots were caused by chrome for me. It went away a few months ago when chrome was updated. I would start by clearing the data for chrome and possibly moving to chrome beta for main browser use (I haven't had an issue with the current version.)

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I know this is probably at least a little sarcastic, but I've never once had a problem with 3 different Android phones as my alarm clock, aside from turning one off for an off day, and forgetting to turn it back on.

I still remember my Palm Pre back in the first ~6 months of release - that loving alarm was totally unreliable. It just... wouldn't go off half the time. It would be set, turned on, and just... nothing when the time came. Not due to a reboot either, those were pretty rare for me. Its like the alarm process just silently died. Often.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

If you don't want a Nexus 7, there's now a GPE tablet: the LG G Pad 8.3 for #349.99.
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=lg_g_pad

It's the first GPE tablet.

Also, there's a white (with a black front) Nexus 7 2013 32GB WiFi out too:
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_32gb_2013_white

If you buy a Chromecast and Nexus 7 together from Google Play starting today, you'll get $32 in Google Play credit.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

I just wish I could buy Chromecast, up here in Canada.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Most quality alarm clocks re-start automatically on a reboot.

Never missed a single alarm. Living on the edge, I guess.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Thinking about grabbing a 2012 n7 off groupon as an upgrade for a kid. Couple random questions for any owners. Has the 2012 gotten an official KitKat ota? Do the 2012's still feel snappy enough both browsing the web and with Google Now/Hangouts/voice commands? Some folks were having trouble with ftrim(?) or something slowing devices to a halt, had that been fixed?

I know normally it's like "don't give young kids electronics", but this one actually appreciated/learned with the cheapy GameStop tablet from previous Xmas, so replacing her daily driver with something zippy would be nice.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ThermoPhysical posted:

Also, there's a white (with a black front) Nexus 7 2013 32GB WiFi out too:
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_32gb_2013_white

Do want. Someone want to buy my 32GB Black two week old Nexus 7 for $235? I'm 100% serious.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

revolther posted:

Thinking about grabbing a 2012 n7 off groupon as an upgrade for a kid. Couple random questions for any owners. Has the 2012 gotten an official KitKat ota? Do the 2012's still feel snappy enough both browsing the web and with Google Now/Hangouts/voice commands?

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#nakasikrt16s

4.4 image available there. I dunno if there's an OTA but you can load this image in minutes very easily.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

hotsauce posted:

Most quality alarm clocks re-start automatically on a reboot.

Never missed a single alarm. Living on the edge, I guess.

You'd have to try very hard to make any half-functional alarm clock app that doesn't work after a reboot. You literally tell the system 'yo notify me when it's this time', and then when that time rolls around the OS pokes your app.

I guess you could write something that completely ignores Android's basic alarm functionality and just tries to run constantly in the background, checking the time over and over and over and over and over and over and over

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

baka kaba posted:

You'd have to try very hard to make any half-functional alarm clock app that doesn't work after a reboot. You literally tell the system 'yo notify me when it's this time', and then when that time rolls around the OS pokes your app.

I guess you could write something that completely ignores Android's basic alarm functionality and just tries to run constantly in the background, checking the time over and over and over and over and over and over and over

The alarm app actually programs the RTC to wake the device up at a certain time. Rebooting the phone does nothing to the RTC code. This is done usually with some JNI talking directly to /dev/rtc0 through some ioctl calls. Google just put a pretty wrapper around it with the sdk. :eng101:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The official Nexus Qi Charger is on UK Play :dance: .

revolther posted:

Thinking about grabbing a 2012 n7 off groupon as an upgrade for a kid. Couple random questions for any owners. Has the 2012 gotten an official KitKat ota? Do the 2012's still feel snappy enough both browsing the web and with Google Now/Hangouts/voice commands? Some folks were having trouble with ftrim(?) or something slowing devices to a halt, had that been fixed?
The N7 2012 will OTA itself to KitKat, yes. At this point it should happen as soon as you turn it on, or possibly just already be on there.

It's still a fairly responsive device and the TRIM thing is not an issue unless you use the device a lot on an old version of Android.

Having said that, the 2013 is a much nicer device, particularly the screen quality which is vastly improved.

FredLordofCheese
Aug 16, 2005

Hey there, here's your pizza, may I ask why you are wearing that sheer robe?
I read back a bit in the thread and didn't see my problem. I have a 2013 nexus 7 lte model I just got a month ago, and I just noticed today that the screen near the bottom makes a clicking noise when I press down. It almost sounds like lifting a tacky sticker off a smooth surface. It's s only the top of the bottom half of the tablet that makes the noise.

Is this normal or is something wrong with my tablet?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

FredLordofCheese posted:

I read back a bit in the thread and didn't see my problem. I have a 2013 nexus 7 lte model I just got a month ago, and I just noticed today that the screen near the bottom makes a clicking noise when I press down. It almost sounds like lifting a tacky sticker off a smooth surface. It's s only the top of the bottom half of the tablet that makes the noise.

Is this normal or is something wrong with my tablet?
Unless you're talking about haptic feedback, that's definitely something it should not do.

In other news, Google has a new case out for the 2103 Nexus 7. Looks like it's a combination bumper and 2-way flippy-rolly cover. Comes in black and eye-melt.
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_7_Folio_Bright_Red?id=nexus_7_folio_bumper_red

FredLordofCheese
Aug 16, 2005

Hey there, here's your pizza, may I ask why you are wearing that sheer robe?

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Unless you're talking about haptic feedback, that's definitely something it should not do.

Is definitely a physical movement in the top of the screen, the clear top, not the pixels below, if that makes sense.

Is this something I can send back to Google and have them replace? I bought it through the play store.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

FredLordofCheese posted:

Is definitely a physical movement in the top of the screen, the clear top, not the pixels below, if that makes sense.

Is this something I can send back to Google and have them replace? I bought it through the play store.

Yep.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FredLordofCheese posted:

This was a really common defect on early revisions of the 2012 model, and I've seen rare reports of it on the 2013, including from at least one goon.

Google will cross-ship you a new one, definitely.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
That was me! It's been sent in twice and then taken care of the second time. Good as new!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So I gave up waiting for a new N10 announcement because not having a tablet was killing me after my N7 went tits up.

Picked up a Note 10.1" 2014 edition (16GB, since I had a 32GB MicroSD just laying around after replacing my S3 with the X) and I adore it.

Aside from it being the highest-resolution screen in my house (all of our TVs and monitors are 1080p or lower), it's a pretty fantastic device.

I've seen some performance complaints out there, but I haven't had any to speak of, myself so far. It could be due to my switching off of TW launcher in favor of Nova and away from Chrome to FireFox.

Now I just need to find a folio case that looks nice.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

AlexDeGruven posted:

So I gave up waiting for a new N10 announcement because not having a tablet was killing me after my N7 went tits up.

Picked up a Note 10.1" 2014 edition (16GB, since I had a 32GB MicroSD just laying around after replacing my S3 with the X) and I adore it.

Aside from it being the highest-resolution screen in my house (all of our TVs and monitors are 1080p or lower), it's a pretty fantastic device.

I've seen some performance complaints out there, but I haven't had any to speak of, myself so far. It could be due to my switching off of TW launcher in favor of Nova and away from Chrome to FireFox.

Now I just need to find a folio case that looks nice.

I really like the OEM Book cover.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I really like the OEM Book cover.

I'll give that a look. I've been too busy loving around with it to bother taking the time to really look yet. I suppose that's a good sign.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

TF700 with dock is $300 on woot. Refurbished, of course. Lots of Asus tablet deals there. I know this thread seems to hate all the asus transformers. I quite like mine though and it with an unlock and cromi ROM it's pretty nice. The tablet/keyboard setup fits a small niche but I love it for my needs.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It was a decent tablet for its time, barring all the usual Asus quirks, but for $300 today the hardware is just grossly underpowered and overpriced. I'd rather get a 32GB Nexus 7 for less than $300.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

The cromi-roms help keep it snappy. It's really not that bad of a tablet a lot of people were just scared off in this thread by the quality control issues especially with the tf200. I agree $300 is a bit much but with the dock it's not a bad deal. If you don't need a dock/keyboard then by all means look elsewhere. But the dock is pretty nifty. Is there any other tablets with a dock/keyboard other than Microsoft ones?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The dock is cool, I agree. But Tegra 3 and 1GB of RAM is a bad idea when much more well equipped tablets exist at a similar or lesser price point.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I just got a 16GB Nexus 7 (I actually won it at a raffle. Score!).

But now I have no idea where to start. Should I be rooting this device? Anything you suggest doing before I run the system update? Which brand of carrying case is the best bang for my buck?

\/Thanks! I might just do that. It doesn't seem to be completely overloaded with bloatware, which is nice to see.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Just enjoy it. The nexus 7 is the only device that I've ever just left alone because I had no reason to root it. Play with it and decide if anything is missing. Revisit the topic if you feel like you need to.