Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

hubris.height posted:

Oh, and the Wii U Gamepad Pro? What the hell Nintendo? You already had a perfectly laid out Classic Control how the hell do you mess up your new pro controller?

I think this is a matter of taste. I vastly prefer the Wii U pro controller to the Wii one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Boiled Water posted:

Who are you kidding? We don't need pinpoint accuracy for a tablet used for games.

If games such as Meteos or something in a similar fashion end up on Wii U you most definitely would unless the blocks were almost 1"x1" in size as to not grab the wrong one. If you don't know what Meteos is check this gameplay video it was one of my favorite DS games and I still play it from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwO2kHY8Npk&t=67s

And yes I do agree that Miiverse is pretty neat and some of the drawings people make are amazing however I think that capacitive touch would've opened much more interesting uses of the gamepad

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You could totally do meteos on a capacitive touchscreen, you just need to compensate in the UI. Zooming in on the block in question as you move over it, and having small motions move the "cursor" disproportionally small amounts would work. It might reduce scores so I don't think they could share a leaderboard, but I think it would be more than playable.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I think this is a matter of taste. I vastly prefer the Wii U pro controller to the Wii one.

This is the case, its just frustrating that they swap the positions of the buttons and the analog sticks, especially considering every other console since the N64 has used a similar layout, including their own previous classic controller.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

flyboi posted:

And yes I do agree that Miiverse is pretty neat and some of the drawings people make are amazing however I think that capacitive touch would've opened much more interesting uses of the gamepad

How much more would you have paid for a capacitive touch screen?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Astro7x posted:

How much more would you have paid for a capacitive touch screen?

Not really a question worth asking me considering I bought a Surface when they first came out just because I was curious (sold now but I make terrible purchases.)

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I prefer the resistive screens because using a stylus keeps my fat sausage fingers from getting in the way of what I'm doing.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

hubris.height posted:

I'm sure it adds relatively little to the actual price that consumers pay for the finished product, perhaps it may have cut into hardware budget.

Around $80 of the manufacturing cost (slightly more than 1/3 of the total) is the GamePad alone, plus however much r&d time and money went on it. Plus the extra time and therefore money in game/app development.

It is the defining feature of the console and if the best you've seen out of it is some art on Miiverse it kinda sounds like a failure.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Edmund Honda posted:

Around $80 of the manufacturing cost (slightly more than 1/3 of the total) is the GamePad alone, plus however much r&d time and money went on it. Plus the extra time and therefore money in game/app development.

It is the defining feature of the console and if the best you've seen out of it is some art on Miiverse it kinda sounds like a failure.

That is more than I would have thought, yeesh.

Its not the only thing that's come out of it, as I said, I've used it to play games while myself or the wife watches TV (because I am riddled with ADHD), so it by no means is wasted, but I can see where someone without other people living with them might never even pick it up out of the cradle. I'll meet in the middle and say it would have made a better accessory than mandatory peripheral, but all things considered I'm not upset that it increased the price of the console and have had fun using it.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
All experience hath shown that controllers-as-peripherals just end up being mostly unused. There's a reason Microsoft included Kinect with the Xbone despite it jacking up the price by $100.

I definitely think Nintendo could have cut costs in other ways, though, such as going with off-the-shelf parts for the main CPU and GPU. Sure they can make a tri-core version of the same architecture they've been using for a decade work wonders, but it's proven a pain in the rear end for everyone else.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
They probably did that for the Wii backwards compatibility though, I would think.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Does not having backwards compatibility really hurt sales?

My bosses kid wants a 360 because he wants to play Minecraft on it for Christmas, but then a friend at school told his kid that there is a new XBO which he did not know about, so now he wants the XBox One . My boss asked me if the XBox One could play 360 games, and I told him it can't. So now he's just going to get him a XBox 360 so that he can play Minecraft on a TV basically. And he'll probably get a XBO later when Minecraft is released for that eventually.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Astro7x posted:

Having backwards compatibility but a higher pricetag hurts sales way more (see: $599 PS3 which probably would have been $100ish cheaper without the PS2 BC). 360 Backwards compatibility would have likely bumped the Xbox One's price to $599 or so (maybe $549?), increased the console's size and made it more complex with more points of failure. Meanwhile, you could get an Xbox 360 new for $99 on Black Friday, so an Xbox One plus a 360 would have cost you $598 and made it so playing older games didn't wear out your much more expensive next-gen console.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Astro7x posted:

No. In addition the people who will benefit the most from backwards compatibility already have a console capable of playing the games.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
It's a bit different than the Sony/MS situation, though. The Wii U runs backwards compatibility on its own hardware because its a faster version of the same thing, whereas XBO and PS4 would have to include 360 and PS3 hardware in addition to their own. It's still an extra cost (using custom parts instead of off the shelf parts) but not nearly as much of one.

Whether it was a worthwhile trade for Nintendo is debatable, but it's worth noting that unlike 360 and PS3 it would be fairly easy for Nintendo to have built a console capable of high-level Wii emulation. (OTOH, Nintendo are such sticklers for getting emulation perfect that I doubt they'll ever go that route.)

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I know it doesn't do much for the value of Wiis or for the Wii U's sales numbers, but for what its worth, I'm pretty glad it has it. It's given me an opportunity to play an entire generation of games I missed out on. Playing Xenoblade right now, and looking forward to trying out the Metroid 3-Pack that I also found.

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 12, 2013

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

univbee posted:

Meanwhile, you could get an Xbox 360 new for $99 on Black Friday

Yeah, but... it was at Walmart. My life is not worth $100.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Boiled Water posted:

No. In addition the people who will benefit the most from backwards compatibility already have a console capable of playing the games.

That's not necessarily true. Backwards compatibility helps for the first year or two for new systems for one, helps ease a transition (and helps those with minimum space), and, for two, instead of having three or four launch titles, with an expanding library of 10-12 games in a year, you all of a sudden have hundreds of games to play. It doesn't bother me, personally, either way.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Chaltab posted:

Whether it was a worthwhile trade for Nintendo is debatable, but it's worth noting that unlike 360 and PS3 it would be fairly easy for Nintendo to have built a console capable of high-level Wii emulation. (OTOH, Nintendo are such sticklers for getting emulation perfect that I doubt they'll ever go that route.)

The emulation on the earlier VC titles was not good at all. The original Super Mario Brothers VC release had colors and sound that were noticeably off from the real hardware and good emulators like Nestopia or Nintendulator. The VC versions of Sonic games don't sound quite right either.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
It's everyone's favorite day of the month: NPD day!

Still waiting for Wii U info. The only thing of note right now is that 3D World didn't make the top 10 software chart, which isn't particularly telling by itself because there aren't any PS4 or XBone exclusives on the chart either.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

It's worth nothing that physical copies of multiplatform PC titles outsold the Wii-U versions and nobody except for people that live in the rear end-end of nowhere without broadband buys physical PC games anymore.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
It looks like its 220k for November. 215k for 3D World.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Nintendo put out their PR just now. Wii U sold ~220k which is better than Pachter's prediction but still real bad for November. Mario sold 215k copies (including digital), which is not great either.

Strangely the 3DS underperformed as well considering Pokemon + $99 2DS.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well those are improved but not gamechanging numbers. I think were firmly in the "worse than a gamecube" sales realm?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Barudak posted:

Well those are improved but not gamechanging numbers. I think were firmly in the "worse than a gamecube" sales realm?

It was more than a million behind the Gamecube as of October and it just fell another ~180k further back.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crowbear posted:

Nintendo put out their PR just now. Wii U sold ~220k which is better than Pachter's prediction but still real bad for November. Mario sold 215k copies (including digital), which is not great either.

Strangely the 3DS underperformed as well considering Pokemon + $99 2DS.

245K (Dreamcast, November 1999)
192K (Dreamcast, November 2000)
259K (Dreamcast, November 2001)

Also Mario Galaxy sold a million more units than 3D World did in the same time frame. (Console's second november, launch month of the title)

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Barudak posted:

Well those are improved but not gamechanging numbers.

They're not actually improved though because November is supposed to be a big sales bump. It's still performing far worse than anyone would want.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Well, at this point it's more of a question of when will it be sent for a dirt nap, rather than if. :rip:

Delusibeta fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 13, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Asema posted:

245K (Dreamcast, November 1999)
192K (Dreamcast, November 2000)
259K (Dreamcast, November 2001)

Any word on when we'll get Jet Set RadiU? Or are the 32k more units preventing the creation of awesome games?

Atomicated posted:

They're not actually improved though because November is supposed to be a big sales bump. It's still performing far worse than anyone would want.

Its at least an upward trend of despair instead of a downward trend of despair.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Delusibeta posted:

Well, at this point it's more of a question of when will it be sent for a dirt nap, rather than when. :rip:

Most likely around the time the new Zelda game comes out about seven years from now so pretty soon. :rip:

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
At least the Wii U beat the Dreamcast this month :eng99:

(not updated for November yet, plot the graph in your head)
edit vvv see below vvv

Equilibrium fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 13, 2013

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Someone already did :eng101:

Please rename thread "Is the Wii U the next Dreamcast?"

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Will the Wii U be like the Dreamcast? Where everyone buys it only when the price drops to fifty dollars. Then ten years later the entire internet says it was actually their favorite game console it had some gems yes it did what a shame it was dead so early oh yes he was

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

whaley posted:

Will the Wii U be like the Dreamcast? Where everyone buys it only when the price drops to fifty dollars. Then ten years later the entire internet says it was actually their favorite game console it had some gems yes it did what a shame it was dead so early oh yes he was

Actually, the Dreamcast owned and will probably end up with more, better games than the Wii U.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

I just don't really remember everyone going ape-poo poo over it until a couple years ago. Maybe I am retarded? Thinking back, video game magazines did hype the hell out of it. Especially because of Soul Calibur.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Popularity of old games go in phases... message boards all "discover" a game or console, everyone talks about it, it passes, they pick a new game/console...

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

whaley posted:

I just don't really remember everyone going ape-poo poo over it until a couple years ago. Maybe I am retarded? Thinking back, video game magazines did hype the hell out of it. Especially because of Soul Calibur.

Depends on who you talk to. I knew plenty of people who adored the Dreamcast from the beginning, but I can see how you'd get that impression from some places on the internet.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I spent many good nights playing Quake 3 and PSO online on Dreamcast. It had some pretty fun online games on it.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I owned a Dreamcast from day one (9.9.99) and thought it was awesome. It became less awesome when a bunch of the 3rd parties saw the writing on the wall and pulled out/cancelled the games they had slated to be released. The PS2 looming on the horizon was just too much.

There are a lot of similarities between the Wii U and the Dreamcast from a 3rd party support perspective. But yeah, compared to similar points in their own respective life cycles the Dreamcast has the Wii U's rear end kicked. There was a lot more compelling software by this point in the Dreamcasts life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Other than playing wind waker at high resolutions I can't think of any reason to plonk down the cash for a U. The dreamcast had stellar games at launch and through its lifetime. It's unfair to compare them.

• Locked thread