Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So there's no way to get stuff like Hi-Tech Blocks or other blocks used in NPC buildings besides stealing them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Verranicus posted:

So there's no way to get stuff like Hi-Tech Blocks or other blocks used in NPC buildings besides stealing them?

Not yet, sadly.

Also quoting myself from the last page:

DelphiAegis posted:

Has anyone gotten the paint gun to work since the patch? It wasn't working for me last night, though I couldn't verify after the minor bugfix patch. It still acted as if it was spraying color (and erasing it, if you change the "color" to the lack of a colored beam), but it wasn't changing the color at all.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Alrighty, thanks for all the commentary and such, folks. Finished on the ship now I think. I'll get started on the alien critters at some later point.

Edit: Actually if you want to play around with the thing, here are the images for it:

shipship.png

dropshipblocks.png

In the appropriate dropship.structure file for wherever you want to put it, replace the approximate matching text with:

code:
"backgroundOverlays" : [
    {
      "image" : "shipship.png",
      "position" : [9, 5]
    }
  ],

MShadowy fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 12, 2013

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

ColHannibal posted:

You can make coal from smelting unrefined wood.

:stare: Why didn't I think to try that? no more slumming it for me!

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Looking forward to the overly serious velociraptor space marines that fly that awesome ship.

edit: WAIT! My brain just emergency remembered The Adventures of T-Rex! I found the pilots of your ship.

Leadthumb fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 12, 2013

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ViggyNash posted:

Had an interesting idea for indoor heating. There should be items defined as "heating objects". Furnace, campfire, maybe new item called a heater. When placed inside a closed structure, they will evenly heat that structure regardless of where they're placed within it. Different objects would have different ambient heating values. If the structure is not enclosed, they work normally.

This would probably be weird to implement, but the material the strycture is made of could also affect the ambient heat level.

That way, heating an NPC structure is only a matter of putting a heater in it somewhere, and it would provide a good way to traverse snow/moon planets without needing stacks of campfires.

I wonder if it's possible for placed items to generate liquids? That might be a way to mod in this implementation - make "heating objects" generate an invisible, intangible fluid that either generates heat or gives you a heat buff. It'd fill up the structure, and best of all you could even yell at your friends for leaving the back door open and letting all the heat out. :haw:

MShadowy posted:

Alrighty, thanks for all the commentary and such, folks. Finished on the ship now I think. I'll get started on the alien critters at some later point.

This is gorgeous and you are a beautiful, beautiful soul.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Thronde posted:

:stare: Why didn't I think to try that? no more slumming it for me!

Don't get too excited it's 10:1.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ColHannibal posted:

Don't get too excited it's 10:1.

Should be moddable though.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I just noticed after waking up from sleeping in a bed, I took several seconds to open my eyes.

The details...

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
How do you use the morphball or the human mech tech? I have both, and I've equipped them both, but I don't know what to do to actually use them in game.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

heckyeahpathy posted:

How do you use the morphball or the human mech tech? I have both, and I've equipped them both, but I don't know what to do to actually use them in game.

Press F.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

MShadowy posted:

Edit: Actually if you want to play around with the thing, here are the images for it:

shipship.png

dropshipblocks.png

In the appropriate dropship.structure file for wherever you want to put it, replace the approximate matching text with:

code:
    {
    }
  ],

Is there any way to implement this so that I can see when other people use it, but it won't replace others who don't? Basically, is this at all compatible with multiplayer? I am modding illiterate.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
You know what is annoying? That the alpha sector has no jungle planets, making it really hard to stock up on healing when preparing to fight the first boss. Or loving ANYTHING. The newest update adressed the thing a bit, with stuff doing way less damage to you, but it's still annoying having to carry a tent or a bed wherever you go to regen.
If the axe cut the weeds faster then the trees, then it would be pretty fine, but now it was just a pain to get some regen.

vvvvv I started on a planet like that once, but never in my other space travels have I encountered such a wonder again. Which sucks. But hey, random world.

Kikas fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 12, 2013

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Kikas posted:

You know what is annoying? That the alpha sector has no jungle planets, making it really hard to stock up on healing when preparing to fight the first boss. Or loving ANYTHING. The newest update adressed the thing a bit, with stuff doing way less damage to you, but it's still annoying having to carry a tent or a bed wherever you go to regen.
If the axe cut the weeds faster then the trees, then it would be pretty fine, but now it was just a pain to get some regen.

You just have to get lucky, I started on a planet with almost no wood as 90% of the trees dropped 30 plant fiber a piece instead of wood.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

MShadowy posted:

shipship.png

dropshipblocks.png

code:
    {
    }
  ],

Sweet! Thanks a lot for this, i just made a new character to try it out and it seems to be working fine.

Edit: Actually, the upper rear engine glow effect thingie is missing for me.

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 12, 2013

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Ak Gara posted:

I just noticed after waking up from sleeping in a bed, I took several seconds to open my eyes.

The details...

While sleeping in a bed in multiplayer, when you type a message your character's eyes open while the speech bubble's up, then you go back to sleep when it fades. :3:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

MShadowy posted:

shipship.png

dropshipblocks.png

code:

{
    }
  ],

This is downright beautiful , you definitely need to share some of your talent when it comes to building bigger ships. I'm tired of seeing mirrored ship mods to increase the living space.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

bonds0097 posted:

I don't understand why people have so much trouble with the controls. There's a codex entry that explains all of them. Is it really that preposterous to assume that players will read that in a sandbox game?

This is why so many AAA titles have those lovely hand-holding tutorials that teach you to press 'w' to move forward.

I just wish I could map Q for something else, I keep throwing stuff away by accident when I`m playing on my notebook.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Has anyone else had a similar experience where the armored to the teeth creatures are friendly and the "supposedly" cute and "flubbery" ones are hostile?

Example:
Scorpion Base, skull like head, massive stinger, black body... friendly.
Bipedal, rounded arms, legs, head, no horns, no claws, almost looks cuddly, squeaks when on screen... hostile as gently caress.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

BaconPigbutt posted:

I just wish I could map Q for something else, I keep throwing stuff away by accident when I`m playing on my notebook.

Someone posted a screenshot of the menu for rebinding this morning so yaaay

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Malek posted:

Has anyone else had a similar experience where the armored to the teeth creatures are friendly and the "supposedly" cute and "flubbery" ones are hostile?

Example:
Bipedal, rounded arms, legs, head, no horns, no claws, almost looks cuddly, squeaks when on screen... hostile as gently caress.

Yup. Part of the charm, IMO.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Malek posted:

Example:

Yep, mostly the same. The cute ones are evil, the ugly ones aren't. Except for my starter planet that had mean looking spider things that breathed poison, and were evil.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

If I want to copy my universe/chars over to another computer, is it just the universe/players folders I copy, or are there any others it's better to move?

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Welp. It was only a matter of time.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/ponex-1-3.58/

The Ponex Mod posted:

Long ago, roughly 140 years before the invention of space travel, there was an enormous fandom of a particular human entertainment show called My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. The fandom was called the bronies, and they were spread far and wide. One year in 2034, a few years after the show ended, a group of brony scientists built a machine that could infuse magic (Actually just a poorly-understood energy) into a human, and at the same time invented a machine capable of giving a semi-pony form to humans. The machine wouldn't, however, allow a complete transformation due to high risks and a lot of deaths, so the ponies that were created were bipedal, and lacked a tail. This was fine for them, however, and within a decade all known bronies were transformed.

A huge reaction with the rest of the world, built up over several years, led to an brutal uprising against bronies and ended with them flying off into space on several large starships, the first of their kind.

Though I will say that I find it funny that the only reason they're in space is because everybody found them annoying and that led to an uprising.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
If that mod ends up spawning villages of them I'll even install it. Cause I feel bad wiping out the normal races, they are all awesome in some way... I'd have no problem leveling a Bronie village though.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

E-Tank posted:

Though I will say that I find it funny that the only reason they're in space is because everybody found them annoying and that led to an uprising.

Those actually fit the art style of the game reasonably well to be perfectly honest.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Malek posted:

Example:

All the drat time.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Bistromatic posted:

Sweet! Thanks a lot for this, i just made a new character to try it out and it seems to be working fine.

Edit: Actually, the upper rear engine glow effect thingie is missing for me.

After giving it a bit of a think, I'm pretty sure the engine flame sprite of whatever species you're playing is the culprit. The twin glowing engines of the human ship (which are what I replaced for doing screenshots) are a single sprite rather than two, and I'm reasonably sure that the sprites for the main engines glowy bits are different for each species.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
How do I unlock new stuff? I built the molten core, but do I need to use the Starmap thing as well?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Time To Ponies: One Week.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

How do I unlock new stuff? I built the molten core, but do I need to use the Starmap thing as well?

Correct.

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?
I had a platinum pick disappear on me. Either I hit q accidentally and didnt notice or I wasn't watching the tiny durability bar and it broke, but it was a massive pain in the rear end hunting down the materials to make a 2nd pick from scratch while thinking all the while of how much faster I could be mining the ore if I hadn't lost my pick.

Point is, picks are too much of an investment to have durability and stuff disappears way too quick to have q be a good key for dropping items.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Coach Sport posted:

I had a platinum pick disappear on me. Either I hit q accidentally and didnt notice or I wasn't watching the tiny durability bar and it broke, but it was a massive pain in the rear end hunting down the materials to make a 2nd pick from scratch while thinking all the while of how much faster I could be mining the ore if I hadn't lost my pick.

Point is, picks are too much of an investment to have durability and stuff disappears way too quick to have q be a good key for dropping items.

0 durability tools do not disappear, fyi.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

I'm really enjoying the towns/villages/research facilities/etc. I feel like they add real sense of discovery and atmosphere to a newly visited planet.

Also, I'm really amused by the fact that Floran NPCs are friendly to Glitch characters (largely based on the fact that Glitch are inedible).

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

E-Tank posted:

This annoys me to an unreasonable extent, considering I play on a private server with friends and will never see these.

Ruxpin_exe
Oct 14, 2003
TITLE TEXT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AannTIxAgnw

hello here is a video about a patch and stuff ;x

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

MShadowy posted:

After giving it a bit of a think, I'm pretty sure the engine flame sprite of whatever species you're playing is the culprit. The twin glowing engines of the human ship (which are what I replaced for doing screenshots) are a single sprite rather than two, and I'm reasonably sure that the sprites for the main engines glowy bits are different for each species.

Ah ok, that makes sense, i put it into the avian folder.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

E-Tank posted:

I think the funniest thing about this is that they think the TV show will be running until 2034.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I think the worst thing about them is they're reasonably well done and mesh with the art style nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az
Dec 2, 2005

I've been trying to find the file for the matter modulator thingie you start out with but can't find it, where is it hiding?

• Locked thread