Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hmm, I don't remember Magmar having arm cannons, therefore, Magmortar > Magmar. And so Rhyperior > Rhydon. I enjoy having the opinion of liking pretty much every Pokemon, so everyone agrees with me for the most part. Though I do agree that evolutions of old Pokemon are much better than Baby Pokemon, they don't do anything but fill Pokedex holes and giving new egg moves/level up moves. Which do you prefer, Magmortar, or Magby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Crosspeice posted:

Hmm, I don't remember Magmar having arm cannons, therefore, Magmortar > Magmar. And so Rhyperior > Rhydon. I enjoy having the opinion of liking pretty much every Pokemon, so everyone agrees with me for the most part. Though I do agree that evolutions of old Pokemon are much better than Baby Pokemon, they don't do anything but fill Pokedex holes and giving new egg moves/level up moves. Which do you prefer, Magmortar, or Magby?

Pichu is pretty adorable though. It and Cleffa own, the other babies all suck.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Zoness posted:

It and Cleffa own, the other babies all suck.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Zoness posted:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

LAY-ZX posted:

Scizor, Croagunk, and bulky Steel types with Gyro Ball are drat near the only things that run physical attacks of those types, just don't keep the dumb bird out against them and you're golden.

Yeah I didn't mean to imply Armoatisse was bad. Against a lot of teams it probably can get trick room off.

Yep, that's a really lovely baby pokemon.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Seriously none of those beat these:

I may have a box full of Pichus and Cleffas too.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Cleffa and Riolu are my favourite baby pokemon. I've made a bunch of Cleffa charms because it's just a simple star shape.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Internet Kraken posted:

Yep, that's a really lovely baby pokemon.

You're a monster :saddowns:

Say what you will about Lucario, but Riolu is one of my favorite Pokemon, baby or not.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
How come no one has mentioned the best baby Pokémon?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Annnnnnd I lost in round 33 to Vanilluxe and Weavile. Ice too strong against my 3. :(

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
I ran the numbers on that attack calculator and came out of it terrified of Mega-Gengar. I think I might go Bold, 252 HP/152 def/106 sp def with a kebia berry, since it lets Aromatisse survive Sludge Bomb as well all the major steel-type threats except Mega-Mawile's Iron Head, as long as both opponents don't gang up on it (I'm banking on at least one going for Mawile, which is why she has Protect).

I guess if the goal is just to survive one attack, I could always use a Focus Sash too, but that's lame.

Starsnostars posted:

How come no one has mentioned the best baby Pokémon?

gently caress that guy, he gets that Hilary Duff song stuck in my head every time I see him.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Sanctum posted:

Never occurred to me that a lvl. 100 pokemon would mean all battle exp goes straight to any pokemon holding the exp. share. This makes training new pokemon so much easier, wish I had popped those rare candies sooner.

Wait wait, seriously? What happens if one of your pokemon is lvl. 100 in a rotation battle?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

BattleCake posted:

Wait wait, seriously? What happens if one of your pokemon is lvl. 100 in a rotation battle?

They changed experience gains in this game so that anyone who participates in battle gets 100% of the experience. Level 100 Pokemon get nothing as always.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ratspeaker posted:

I ran the numbers on that attack calculator and came out of it terrified of Mega-Gengar. I think I might go Bold, 252 HP/152 def/106 sp def with a kebia berry, since it lets Aromatisse survive Sludge Bomb as well all the major steel-type threats except Mega-Mawile's Iron Head, as long as both opponents don't gang up on it (I'm banking on at least one going for Mawile, which is why she has Protect).

I guess if the goal is just to survive one attack, I could always use a Focus Sash too, but that's lame.

Oh, if you're doing doubles then you should probably be aware that any team with a fake out user is going to use it on Aromatisse. That said, you can use fake out to your advantage as well. If the enemies only solution to Aromatisse is to OHKO her, then you can just fake out the attacker.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Zoness posted:

Motherfucker, I know you ain't talkin' poo poo about Bonsly.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

MinistryofLard posted:

Added. Mine is 0275 8546 6090. Add me back and ill let you know what you got.

You're added!

By the way, what evolution would be best for a brave Eevee?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Kart Barfunkel posted:

You're added!

By the way, what evolution would be best for a brave Eevee?

Flareon, I guess. Brave is a pretty lovely nature for anything not destined for a Trick Room team.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh, if you're doing doubles then you should probably be aware that any team with a fake out user is going to use it on Aromatisse. That said, you can use fake out to your advantage as well. If the enemies only solution to Aromatisse is to OHKO her, then you can just fake out the attacker.

I don't have anyone who could Fake Out back. It's not an ideal solution, but I could just put Protect on Aromatisse as well. There aren't that many Pokemon who can use Fake Out so it's usually obvious when it's coming. The only users I'm really concerned about are mega-Kangaskhan or Ambipom, since the others can't do too much damage with it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Riolu doesn't count as a baby Pokemon. :colbert:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

So, I have this Scyther I've all EV trained and bred and stuff, but I still need him to be a Scizor. Anyone down to hop on and go back and forth? I asked in the trading thread but they're only trading serious 6IV dudes and I'm just looking for a goon pal to help little Scythy achieve his potential :(.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

So, I have this Scyther I've all EV trained and bred and stuff, but I still need him to be a Scizor. Anyone down to hop on and go back and forth? I asked in the trading thread but they're only trading serious 6IV dudes and I'm just looking for a goon pal to help little Scythy achieve his potential :(.

Sure thing, my FC is 3325-2608-7355, IGN Cake. I'm on right now.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
edit: ^^ or that

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

If you didn't get this done yet head on over to the trade thread and post your FC, mine is on most of the last few pages there. Add me and I'll help you out.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

BattleCake posted:

Sure thing, my FC is 3325-2608-7355, IGN Cake. I'm on right now.

Thanks! Mine is 3325-2703-6552, IGN is Sammy (I think, mii is named Eli)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

khysanth posted:

Annnnnnd I lost in round 33 to Vanilluxe and Weavile. Ice too strong against my 3. :(

I got stomped right around the early 30s by a trick room team with THREE different Rock Sliders.

It sure seems like they start catering to your team around the 20s. The round I lost seemed like a hard counter to all four of my team members.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ratspeaker posted:

252 HP/244 Defense/12 Special Defense Calm is ever-so-slightly more efficient. It gives you one extra Defense with the same Special Defense.

If you want something that can survive both Gengar Sludge Bomb and Mega Mawile Iron Head you can use 252 HP/118 Defense/140 Special Defense Calm with Babiri Berry for Life Orb Gengar Sludge Bomb or 252 HP/182 Defense/76 Special Defense Calm with Babiri for Mega Gengar Sludge Bomb. Note that for all of those spreads I went for the bare minimum Special Defense for better bulk against priority and to shore up Aromatisse's weaker defense.

WrightOfWay fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 13, 2013

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I got stomped right around the early 30s by a trick room team with THREE different Rock Sliders.

It sure seems like they start catering to your team around the 20s. The round I lost seemed like a hard counter to all four of my team members.

This is exactly why priority users are really important in Maison teams.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My streak ended to a loving scarf electrode who hit with 3 straight thunders with no rain, while I whiffed 3 moves.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Inudeku posted:

My streak ended to a loving scarf electrode who hit with 3 straight thunders with no rain, while I whiffed 3 moves.

The RNG is bound to screw us eventually! My other ~30 round foray into Super Doubles was ended by me missing with Stone Edge 3 times and the enemy High Jump Kick landing 3 times with 1 critical hit.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Zoness posted:

This is exactly why priority users are really important in Maison teams.

I've made it to the lower 90's without any priority moves.

I think part of the problem people have with the Maison is they go into it with the PvP mindset. That's wrong. The AI doesn't play like a human, they'll keep things in on matchups no sane person ever should, so they'll never give you a free turn while they're switching Pokemon. Boosting moves and any strategy beyond "pick the move that does the most damage" becomes a liability sooner or later, just go full in-game scrubmode and roll three dudes with four attacks for maximum coverage.

e: Also Surf > Hydro Pump, Flamethrower > Fire Blast, Thunderbolt > Thunder, Brick Break > High Jump Kick, and literally anything > Focus Blast. Sacrificing power for accuracy is NECESSARY in the maison. 90% may seem fairly accurate, but when that 90% is run through a hundred trials it WILL fail eventually.

LAY-ZX fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 13, 2013

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
One of my best streaks, low 80s I believe., in Super singles, I had a greninja, talonflame and mega gyrados. All hyper offensive and it worked amazingly.

But like stated above, I used a tailwind bulky sweeper team and it ended in 7 rounds.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

WrightOfWay posted:

252 HP/244 Defense/12 Special Defense Calm is ever-so-slightly more efficient. It gives you one extra Defense with the same Special Defense.

If you want something that can survive both Gengar Sludge Bomb and Mega Mawile Iron Head you can use 252 HP/118 Defense/140 Special Defense Calm with Babiri Berry for Life Orb Gengar Sludge Bomb or 252 HP/182 Defense/76 Special Defense Calm with Babiri for Mega Gengar Sludge Bomb. Note that for all of those spreads I went for the bare minimum Special Defense for better bulk against priority and to shore up Aromatisse's weaker defense.

Thanks for the advice. I'll aim for a Calm nature, though I get really impatient around the end of breeding, so I'll probably end up grabbing the first +Def or +Sp.Def nature that pops out.

The last two builds give a +Sp.Atk nature Gengar/Mega-Gengar a 43.8% and 50% chance to OHKO, respectively, according to the calculator. Do Gengar builds usually go for speedy natures instead?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
How are you people finding such good battles in X/Y? I can't predict what my opponent will do because half the time they don't seem to know what they are doing themselves. Maybe all the good players religiously migrate to the latest gen. Here in Gen V I'm battling against mostly japanese/korean players with 100+ wins, most of which are terrible. I threw together a gimmick dino-team with a token hippodown since if I'm rolling all these rock types I should at least have a sandstorm running. I cannot believe some of the battles, these people pick the weirdest moments to switch out.

I can't even understand their thought process after the fact. 'Oh no my opponent opened with a hippodown with a type-advantage on my toxicroak! Surely he'll want to OHKO me so I'll use sucker punch.... It failed!' No, I'm assuming you are going to switch into a pokemon with a type-advantage like a sane person so I use yawn. Then he stays in and attacks with poison jab while I substitute up, again assuming that now surely he'll switch. Now he's sleep statused and I figure he'll want to stay in to spare his next pokemon from switching into a pokemon with substitute up. 'Sleep status! Panic! Switch pokemon!' :downs:

For some inexplicable reason switching out is a signal for the other person to switch out too. Leading to such hilarious things as switching into an ineffective attack, shell-smashing, and sweeping an entire team. I feel stupid for even doing it, but if they let me then why not?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I poop fire and Battlecake, looks like I missed you guys, but I added you and I'll be durdling around for the next hour and a half or so. If either of you comes on, let's trade?
Thanks!

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Sanctum posted:

How are you people finding such good battles in X/Y? I can't predict what my opponent will do because half the time they don't seem to know what they are doing themselves. Maybe all the good players religiously migrate to the latest gen. Here in Gen V I'm battling against mostly japanese/korean players with 100+ wins, most of which are terrible. I threw together a gimmick dino-team with a token hippodown since if I'm rolling all these rock types I should at least have a sandstorm running. I cannot believe some of the battles, these people pick the weirdest moments to switch out.

I can't even understand their thought process after the fact. 'Oh no my opponent opened with a hippodown with a type-advantage on my toxicroak! Surely he'll want to OHKO me so I'll use sucker punch.... It failed!' No, I'm assuming you are going to switch into a pokemon with a type-advantage like a sane person so I use yawn. Then he stays in and attacks with poison jab while I substitute up, again assuming that now surely he'll switch. Now he's sleep statused and I figure he'll want to stay in to spare his next pokemon from switching into a pokemon with substitute up. 'Sleep status! Panic! Switch pokemon!' :downs:

For some inexplicable reason switching out is a signal for the other person to switch out too. Leading to such hilarious things as switching into an ineffective attack, shell-smashing, and sweeping an entire team. I feel stupid for even doing it, but if they let me then why not?

A lot of the hardcore tourney types are waiting until Pokemon Bank opens up so they can get all their perfect RNG'd Pokemon that they have on their gen V carts. I'm not looking forward to it. Wifi without two shinies and a Landorus on every single team has been such a nice change of pace.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I poop fire and Battlecake, looks like I missed you guys, but I added you and I'll be durdling around for the next hour and a half or so. If either of you comes on, let's trade?
Thanks!

Sorry I got distracted. Getting on now.

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!

Ratspeaker posted:

A lot of the hardcore tourney types are waiting until Pokemon Bank opens up so they can get all their perfect RNG'd Pokemon that they have on their gen V carts. I'm not looking forward to it. Wifi without two shinies and a Landorus on every single team has been such a nice change of pace.

Hasn't it just? It is a shame though

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

BattleCake posted:

Sorry I got distracted. Getting on now.

And we're all set! Thanks bro!

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Level Slide posted:

What's happening between the 21st and 26th?

Japan-only Christmas Distribution of Gengar and Scizor.

Yes, even despite the international simultaneous release, JP-bias is strong.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

Emalde posted:

We have a scizor garchomp promotion going on (unless jp get those too?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Emalde posted:

Those are in-store "trade with some employee and get a thing" giveaways, not wi-fi, so the Japan bias can't really be helped there.

• Locked thread