Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

WampaLord posted:

ETA: Also, Firefly. A man can be forgiven for a lot if he created Firefly.

Firefly's one of the things I like least about Whedon. Irrational hatreds ahoy:

1. Chinese culture was apparently so strong and pervasive that characters commonly reflexively swear in Chinese, market signs are printed in Chinese. There's supposed to be this whole Sino-American backstory and yet there's not a single Asian character. Maybe there's one or two extras floating around or something, but there certainly aren't any speaking roles. Even Star Trek had a Japanese guy on the ship, and that wasn't a case where the crew would drop a casual "Chikushō!" if the warp drive fucks up.

2. The Reavers just don't work. I get it, this is supposed to be space-cowboys and space-Indians and the Reavers are the savages, but it doesn't work conceptually. If you're *that* atavistic and *that* mindlessly violent, space will kill you. Psychopathic balls of rage cannot operate, maintain, and repair space ships and nuclear engines. They're also just lousy villains, completely flat implacably bad animals in scary costumes.

3. The whole "Registered Companion" thing doesn't work. Inara's supposed be some combination of high-class rich man's call girl and supremely cultured geisha. She's supposed to be a member of this respected and well-regarded profession, to the extent that merely having her on board as a passenger will get Mal's ship in and out of ports that wouldn't tolerate its presence otherwise. Such a thing flies in the face of basically all of human history and culture, but let's put it aside. If she's so well respected, then why does basically every character in the Whedonverse treat her like...some common whore? There are entire episodes based around this, the very wealthy nobility whose doors her mere presence is supposed to open for Mal's crew holds her in utter contempt. And the will-they-won't-they sexual tension between her and Mal is completely artificial, there's no actual reason given the characters and the situations they're in that they wouldn't gently caress, but instead they act like they don't like each other and cry when they gently caress other people instead. It's seriously awful.

4. The characters are cardboard. You've got the Boy Scout captain (And yes, he's a boy scout, the claimed moral ambiguity isn't actually there. When he robs a train that turns out to be full of medicine he *gives the medicine back*. This isn't Jesse James, this isn't even Han Solo.), the loyal sidekick, the uber-competent mechanic, the whacky guy, the holy man with the dark secret, and the lunkhead. And I'm amazed that the same guy who created female characters like Buffy, Faith, Willow, etc. created one like Kaylee, who somehow managed to make it to adulthood without experiencing even the slightest bit of emotional pain and loss, because she is so twee it's creepy. There's an episode where she goes to a party and dresses up in a Jon-Benet princess costume because she's still a little girl who wants to be a princess when she grows up.

It's a western in space, but it's a *bad* western in space. It's the sort of western where the one side wears white hats and is incontrovertibly good and the other side wears black hats and is irredeemably bad so the audience always knows which side to root for. Even 40-year old Westerns on earth were better than this.

And there's one part that makes me seethe. Mal's a fantastic shot. We know this. We're shown it in an episode, where some bad guy is holding one of his crew hostage on the ship while Mal's away. Mal comes back, the guy's hiding behind the hostage with a gun to her head. Mal doesn't even stop, he's walking, and he just draws and shoots the guy in the head.

Then, in the movie, he's faced with a bad guy. He draws and shoots the guy...in the chest. And then when the guy falls down, Mal just assumes he's dead, leaving himself vulnerable when the guy pops back up and reveals that he was wearing body armor. As, you know, you might expect a soldier to do in a place where body armor actually exists and works to stop bullets. But don't shoot him in the head, like we know you're capable of, and don't shoot him over and over again when he's on the ground to make sure he's dead. Just assume that everything went to plan like an idiot would even though you're supposed to be a pretty clever guy and not an idiot. God, that was one of the biggest idiot-script moments I've ever seen in a film.

The show's got some fun one-liners, but that's about it, and I've never seen the attraction of it. I will grant that it's better than Twilight, though.

Edit: Good sword fights? I like this one. I know nothing about fencing but it's pretty damned good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVaslN1NiT0

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 21:13 on Dec 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Since taking up Fencing, my current pet peeve is watching sword fights in movies. Particularly how the characters never really move around. No one backs up, attempts to circle or feint or anything beyond striking over and over and over again. Extended Parry exchanges and blade locks are really bad and dumb and a good sign someone is doing something wrong, but every movie sword fight has two people locking blades and trying to just force their sharp bit into the other through pure force.

For example, in GoT, there's a scene where two characters duel on a bridge, ostensibly they're both experts. One of which has an obvious reach advantage and the other is handicapped quite a bit. So of course they just stand there wailing on each other over and over again instead of backing up when attacked or using any kind of footwork.

How about good sword fights?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC6dgtBU6Gs

Maybe it's also bad, I dunno, is it?

(Of course it isn't)

Slim Killington has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Dec 12, 2013

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

sassassin posted:

Like most showrunners his contributions to Buffy were sporadic. I think he was barely involved at all in one of the godawful late seasons cause he was starting Firefly.

It's not just Whedon for me, though. I only ever watched a little bit of Buffy but I found everything sort of annoyed me on the show and to a lesser extent, on Angel, as well. It felt like it was trying so hard at trying to be clever, cool and witty that it felt unnatural.

It stopped being charming and felt smug.

Maybe it was just the environment of working on the show where everyone gradually ended up picking up the exact same style.

When I saw the Fright Night remake a few years ago I was getting more and more pissed off with the dialogue and story until at the end I recognized the name of one of the writers came from the Buffyverse and I figured, "Now I get it! Now I know why I hate this movie."

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Slim Killington posted:

(Of course it isn't)
Apparently all the stuff they're talking about is actual fencing stuff. They're not actually using it in the fight, but it exists.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
I've always been bothered by the Pac Bell phone in Washington DC in Die Hard 2.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

An annoying thing about the movie Stranger than Fiction is how it starts out with a neat visual style of Harold visualizing stuff and then after the opening it just kind of drops it never to come back.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Phanatic posted:

2. The Reavers just don't work. I get it, this is supposed to be space-cowboys and space-Indians and the Reavers are the savages, but it doesn't work conceptually. If you're *that* atavistic and *that* mindlessly violent, space will kill you. Psychopathic balls of rage cannot operate, maintain, and repair space ships and nuclear engines. They're also just lousy villains, completely flat implacably bad animals in scary costumes.

For what it's worth, this was expanded upon in the movie and as such probably would have been featured in the later seasons, if there had been any. Basically they're the leftover population of the outermost planet where a large-scale experiment with pheromones/chemical control of emotions went horribly wrong.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Slim Killington posted:

(Of course it isn't)

"Technically" it's just as bad as every movie sword fight.

But in every other actual way it's the best :allears:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Perestroika posted:

For what it's worth, this was expanded upon in the movie and as such probably would have been featured in the later seasons, if there had been any. Basically they're the leftover population of the outermost planet where a large-scale experiment with pheromones/chemical control of emotions went horribly wrong.

Yeah, but even as someone who likes Firefly I'm still with him on the "it doesn't work" thing. Whatever it is that makes them crazy, they're still mindlessly crazy and how the hell are you supposed to not blow up your nuclear powered ship or die of radiation poisoning when you can't even form sentences because you're so crazy? Reavers are explicitly identified as running "without containment" on their engines, which would have to make you super sick. And then Reavers are something that are supposed to be spooky boogiemen like you've heard of since you were a kid, supposedly folks that went crazy in space, when in reality it's isolated to a vanishingly small percentage of a single generation of people from one planet, so how could there be enough to be a hassle throughout the outer planets, especially if they're also known to just hang around in a part of space around said home planet napping or something instead of reaving?

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Dec 12, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The thing I don't really like about Wheadon is that basically every single one of his characters are interchangeable from show to show.

Since taking up Fencing, my current pet peeve is watching sword fights in movies. Particularly how the characters never really move around. No one backs up, attempts to circle or feint or anything beyond striking over and over and over again. Extended Parry exchanges and blade locks are really bad and dumb and a good sign someone is doing something wrong, but every movie sword fight has two people locking blades and trying to just force their sharp bit into the other through pure force.

For example, in GoT, there's a scene where two characters duel on a bridge, ostensibly they're both experts. One of which has an obvious reach advantage and the other is handicapped quite a bit. So of course they just stand there wailing on each other over and over again instead of backing up when attacked or using any kind of footwork.

They're trained to fight with broadswords while wearing armour. It's not the same as fencing. Bracing yourself is a big part of it.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Jedit posted:

They're trained to fight with broadswords while wearing armour. It's not the same as fencing. Bracing yourself is a big part of it.

I have a lot of friends who do the doofy SCA heavy fighting stuff, and I know there's a major major difference between the two styles of fighting, but even so, the fight is super dumb. Footwork, stepping away from attacks and avoiding are all still way more important than swinging the big hunk of metal around.

I'll grant that swinging the metal and blocking with the blade and parrying looks way cooler and no one on earth wants every single fight to look like a 'real' sword fight.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

An annoying thing about the movie Stranger than Fiction is how it starts out with a neat visual style of Harold visualizing stuff and then after the opening it just kind of drops it never to come back.

This bothered me too but if you accept that his life is a story which the author forcibly edited and changed everything about her usual writing style it makes a little bit more sense that at the moment where she goes off the rails is where the story style shifts.

I still think it was dumb they disappeared and wanted more of them.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Firefly is annoying because it's remembered like some great 13 episode masterpiece when there were shows that did what it did better and without the obnoxious fans.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Tiggum posted:

I think it's because there are a lot of people who think Joss Whedon is just the best and won't shut up about it, so you get the backlash from people who are annoyed by those first people. Also, judging from what I've seen and heard of him, Joss Whedon is one of the people who thinks that Joss Whedon is the best, and that also rubs people the wrong way.
Also Dollhouse was really, really terrible.

I think this is a problem with a lot of things. Take Doctor Who for example. Its not a terrible show, its just dumb sci-fi fun you can watch with your kids or when your drunk and don't want to think to hard about whats going on on the TV.
poo poo i even watched the 50th anniversary episode in the cinema cause i thought i would be fun to watch it on the big screen for once and because im old enough now that the guys at the entrance don't check anymore if i bring my own beer in.

But there are so many rabid fans out there who consider it the best thing on TV and can't shut the gently caress up about how the story is so amazing an the Doctor is the best character ever that i can't really blame anyone who immediately disregards it as a terrible show without even watching it because the fans are insane.

I don't even talk with anyone about Doctor Who because i don't want a loving discussion about whats the best villain and where to buy a fez. Just let me watch the loving show. Not everything needs to be "the best thing ever" or "the worst thing ever".

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Shai-Hulud posted:

I think this is a problem with a lot of things. Take Doctor Who for example. Its not a terrible show, its just dumb sci-fi fun you can watch with your kids or when your drunk and don't want to think to hard about whats going on on the TV.
poo poo i even watched the 50th anniversary episode in the cinema cause i thought i would be fun to watch it on the big screen for once and because im old enough now that the guys at the entrance don't check anymore if i bring my own beer in.

But there are so many rabid fans out there who consider it the best thing on TV and can't shut the gently caress up about how the story is so amazing an the Doctor is the best character ever that i can't really blame anyone who immediately disregards it as a terrible show without even watching it because the fans are insane.

I don't even talk with anyone about Doctor Who because i don't want a loving discussion about whats the best villain and where to buy a fez. Just let me watch the loving show. Not everything needs to be "the best thing ever" or "the worst thing ever".

It's oddly satisfying to see a fan get pissed over someone calling the lead "Dr. Who".

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Oh no did I unintentionally start a derail about Joss Whedon with my lovely post? poo poo.

I actually like Joss Whedon's stuff when he's forced to work with other writers. When he's given too much freedom on his scripts he just rewrites the same band of misfits having dumb adventures with dumb jokes.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I have a lot of friends who do the doofy SCA heavy fighting stuff, and I know there's a major major difference between the two styles of fighting, but even so, the fight is super dumb. Footwork, stepping away from attacks and avoiding are all still way more important than swinging the big hunk of metal around.

One person is manacled and was on a starvation diet in a cage for weeks and the other is wearing armor and was ordered not to hurt the guy. I'm no master swordsman but I think that can account for any weird lack of style or tactics or whatever in a fight.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Lotish posted:

when in reality it's isolated to a vanishingly small percentage of a single generation of people from one planet, so how could there be enough to be a hassle throughout the outer planets, especially if they're also known to just hang around in a part of space around said home planet napping or something instead of reaving?

I only skimmed a few episodes of Firefly, but I think they said that they inadvertently "recruit" people they run in to: if they don't kill you, you go insane in the process and become one of them yourself.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'll grant that swinging the metal and blocking with the blade and parrying looks way cooler and no one on earth wants every single fight to look like a 'real' sword fight.

Real sword fight didn't even limit themselves to their weapons(like sports fencing), if you could kick some guy in the nuts, or trip him, or bash him with your shield and knock out his teeth, you would.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Lotish posted:

Yeah, but even as someone who likes Firefly I'm still with him on the "it doesn't work" thing. Whatever it is that makes them crazy, they're still mindlessly crazy and how the hell are you supposed to not blow up your nuclear powered ship or die of radiation poisoning when you can't even form sentences because you're so crazy? Reavers are explicitly identified as running "without containment" on their engines, which would have to make you super sick. And then Reavers are something that are supposed to be spooky boogiemen like you've heard of since you were a kid, supposedly folks that went crazy in space, when in reality it's isolated to a vanishingly small percentage of a single generation of people from one planet, so how could there be enough to be a hassle throughout the outer planets, especially if they're also known to just hang around in a part of space around said home planet napping or something instead of reaving?

Holy poo poo, now I know why the 'bad guys' in this lovely webcomic Harbourmaster bothered me. They're Reavers Lite.

They're shapeshifters, right? But they can't get along with anyone, they randomly attack and eat each other; they don't form alliances with their own kind when fighting others. So how the gently caress did shapeshifting near-immortal aliens who evolve consciously by shapeshifting even GET to loving space? How the hell do they breed? If they can't even cooperate enough not to kill each other when fighting humans, how is there more than 1 of them left period?

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
I love the idea of a firefly reaver tooling around the space engine of his spaceship, his hands shaking so hard from being angry that he can't even change the oil. Which makes him even more angry. Foaming at the mouth angry while taking a dump. Flipping his poo poo while showering. Raging at the microwave while waiting for his Hungry Reaver Dinner™ to be ready :allears:

Present has a new favorite as of 02:20 on Dec 13, 2013

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Coffee And Pie posted:

I was in middle school when Borat was released. I have seen Hell, and it's a room full of middle school boys parroting catchphrases from that movie, forever.

The modern equivalent of this is middle schoolers singing the Thunder Buddies song from Ted every time the power goes out during a rain storm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9PnNW56bp0

Kids are so much cooler now. :cool:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

"Technically" it's just as bad as every movie sword fight.

But in every other actual way it's the best :allears:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but weren't they both hungover as gently caress during filming of this scene because they'd been out on the town all night before drinking with Andre the Giant? :allears:

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Jerusalem posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but weren't they both hungover as gently caress during filming of this scene because they'd been out on the town all night before drinking with Andre the Giant? :allears:

I think it's safe to assume everyone was hungover as gently caress during the filming of that movie. When Andre the Giant takes you out drinking, you say "Yes, sir," and drink everything he puts in front of you.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The thing I don't really like about Wheadon is that basically every single one of his characters are interchangeable from show to show.

If you fence then I don't know why you'd expect them to circle round. On a piste the most you can move sideways is a step or two. If you think about it fencing doesn't really translate into a very swashbuckling scene. For Epee you have two people waiting and waiting for the other to show an opening. Until one of them gets a hit, on the wrist probably. If you tried to put that in a film it'd be just two people standing there until one lopped the hand off the other.

Sabre at first seems like it'd be something you'd see in a film. As a fencer though you know it's not like that. You have two people making minimal movements collide at high speed. Then a referee trying to make sense of what happened. Outside of FIE run events most competitions don't even bother keeping time for sabre bouts. It also has the problem of both people hitting simultaneously and only one of them getting the point due to priority.

Trying to think of cinematic fights in fencing terms is a bit silly.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Phanatic posted:

1. Chinese culture was apparently so strong and pervasive that characters commonly reflexively swear in Chinese, market signs are printed in Chinese. There's supposed to be this whole Sino-American backstory and yet there's not a single Asian character.

That was the biggest thing that stood out to me. Everyone seems to speak Chinese as a second language, no one is a native Chinese speaker. Where are all the Chinese people?

Phanatic posted:

3. The whole "Registered Companion" thing doesn't work.

What particularly annoys me about this (and Dollhouse) is that Joss Whedon talks about how feminist he is, but actually he's really bad at it.

Phanatic posted:

And there's one part that makes me seethe. Mal's a fantastic shot. We know this. We're shown it in an episode, where some bad guy is holding one of his crew hostage on the ship while Mal's away. Mal comes back, the guy's hiding behind the hostage with a gun to her head. Mal doesn't even stop, he's walking, and he just draws and shoots the guy in the head.

Then, in the movie, he's faced with a bad guy. He draws and shoots the guy...in the chest. And then when the guy falls down, Mal just assumes he's dead, leaving himself vulnerable when the guy pops back up and reveals that he was wearing body armor. As, you know, you might expect a soldier to do in a place where body armor actually exists and works to stop bullets. But don't shoot him in the head, like we know you're capable of, and don't shoot him over and over again when he's on the ground to make sure he's dead. Just assume that everything went to plan like an idiot would even though you're supposed to be a pretty clever guy and not an idiot. God, that was one of the biggest idiot-script moments I've ever seen in a film.

The worst thing about the movie was the scene where Buffy River sacrifices herself to save the others, but then as soon as she's offscreen she goes from being torn apart by overwhelming numbers of Reavers to somehow killing them all.

Shai-Hulud posted:

It is a pretty terrible show. All the plots are way too rushed and too much stuff happens too quickly so there's no time for anything to sink in or have any real impact. Also, a lot of the problems they encounter rely on people being massively stupid for no reason and are resolved by some deus ex machina solution that the Doctor pulls out of his arse at the last minute. It's unfortunate, because it actually used to be an OK show. It was never consistently great, there were always some pretty bad episodes, but the incredibly rapid pace of the modern version just ruins it entirely.

MisterBibs posted:

I only skimmed a few episodes of Firefly, but I think they said that they inadvertently "recruit" people they run in to: if they don't kill you, you go insane in the process and become one of them yourself.

Yeah, reavers are zombies, and zombies never make sense. There's just no way they can ever be believable, and the only way to make them seem like a credible threat is to just have a whole lot of them already be in place with no explanation of how they got there, because there is no way to explain how they got there that won't sound ridiculous.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, reavers are zombies, and zombies never make sense. There's just no way they can ever be believable, and the only way to make them seem like a credible threat is to just have a whole lot of them already be in place with no explanation of how they got there, because there is no way to explain how they got there that won't sound ridiculous.

Personally, I like the original Night of the Living Dead explanation that, in addition to the infection by bite thing, anyone in the world who dies from anything other than severe brain trauma becomes a zombie. This actually makes it believable for a zombie plague to catch the world off guard, since it would start everywhere at once and never stop no matter how many zombies people managed to kill. But apart from the Walking Dead comics and game, I don't know of anything outside of the Romero franchise that has actually used it.

But yeah, I've never been able to buy a zombie virus that is only transmitted by bite managing to sweep the entire world. It shouldn't take people long to figure out how it works, and once they did it should be ridiculously easy to quarantine. But in just about every zombie movie, society just seems to vanish overnight. That scene in Shaun of the Dead when the military finally responds and just massacres all the zombies in seconds is something that you would expect to see a lot more often in these kinds of movies.

Phanatic posted:

1. Chinese culture was apparently so strong and pervasive that characters commonly reflexively swear in Chinese, market signs are printed in Chinese. There's supposed to be this whole Sino-American backstory and yet there's not a single Asian character. Maybe there's one or two extras floating around or something, but there certainly aren't any speaking roles. Even Star Trek had a Japanese guy on the ship, and that wasn't a case where the crew would drop a casual "Chikushō!" if the warp drive fucks up.

Apparently, Kaylee was intended to be Asian, but they liked Jewel Staite's audition so much that they gave the role to her. But even if that bit had gone as planned, I don't think that a single token Asian would have been much better.

INH5 has a new favorite as of 06:13 on Dec 13, 2013

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

INH5 posted:

But yeah, I've never been able to buy a zombie virus that is only transmitted by bite managing to sweep the entire world. It shouldn't take people long to figure out how it works, and once they did it should be ridiculously easy to quarantine. But in just about every zombie movie, society just seems to vanish overnight. That scene in Shaun of the Dead when the military finally responds and just massacres all the zombies in seconds is something that you would expect to see a lot more often in these kinds of movies.

Wasn't there something in the World War Z book about the military being overwhelmed by zombies because they used the wrong tactics? I remembering hearing that and thinking it was really stupid.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Gaunab posted:

Wasn't there something in the World War Z book about the military being overwhelmed by zombies because they used the wrong tactics? I remembering hearing that and thinking it was really stupid.

Yup. The military gets demolished and eaten because apparently sharpened shovels are better at killing zombies than tanks and helicopter gunships. That sort of thing constantly happening in zombie movies is my personal annoyance. Take that scene in the pilot of the Walking Dead where the main character ends up in an abandoned tank. How the hell do zombies overwhelm a tank?! Our military's entire doctrine was built around killing large masses of soldiers! I don't care if zombies wouldn't retreat and wouldn't react to injury, they'd sure as hell react to canister shot and bombing runs! Heck, if you run out of ammo for the main gun just put the tank brigades into drive and run the horde down.

Polaron has a new favorite as of 07:25 on Dec 13, 2013

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Season 4 of Walking Dead has the persistent theme of "Oh poo poo all those zombies are pushing against the chain-link fence and there are so many of them what are we going to do, we can't POSSIBLY kill them all!"

The camera pans to the aforementioned zombies to show a group of about 30 of them, all bunched up and barely moving. That's like 5 minutes of stabbing zombies in the face for one person. Come on.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Yeah, World War Z has more than a few... issues.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Regarding Fencing Chat, I can't help but be bothered when I see pretty much any sword fight that isn't specifically fencing (which the Princess Bride clip actually is), as outside that very formal and rigid combat system, that nobody that swordfought in history really ever fenced ever, let alone often parried, which is 97% of all Hollywood swordfighting (including lightsabres). In real life, that kind of fighting is a good way to break your broadsword or scimitar.

Zombie chat meanwhile has brought up my irritation at Return of the Living Dead 4 and 5. These straight to Sci-Fi films, made far after the previous entry start off paying attention to their series mythos in that here's where the talking zombies craving brains came from. Then the films turn around and because creativity is hard, you guys, then ape every other non RotLD zombie movie, and have the living dead killable through head trauma. Which makes no sense considering these creatures primarily attack their victims brains. Which would mean that there would never be any additional zombies, as they all would start out with their brains eaten away.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Tiggum posted:

What particularly annoys me about this (and Dollhouse) is that Joss Whedon talks about how feminist he is, but actually he's really bad at it.

Yeah, I don't get it. I like Firefly enough that I will watch it if I happen to hop to a channel when it is on, but the whole companion thing leaves a really sour taste in my mouth. "In this universe there are no taboos regarding sex-workers and they are allowed to live freely, pick their clients, and suffer no persecution for their profession" - this is great and would be good in a Sci-Fi show and I would watch it.

What Joss did was:

"There are these really high-class, highly trained amazing geishas, not common whores like other prostitutes, and they're really expensive and elite at what they do, not like common whores, but also everyone refers to them as whores whenever they can, especially the protagonists you are supposed to like. That won't give a double-standard about sex. Also they'll get beaten up or slapped fairly regularly."

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Phanatic posted:

The worst part of this to me is that they couldn't even get through the pilot episode without some jackass going "How do we show that everything is Chinese now? I know! We'll go to the 'they eat dogs' stereotype!"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

INH5 posted:

Personally, I like the original Night of the Living Dead explanation that, in addition to the infection by bite thing, anyone in the world who dies from anything other than severe brain trauma becomes a zombie. This actually makes it believable for a zombie plague to catch the world off guard, since it would start everywhere at once and never stop no matter how many zombies people managed to kill. But apart from the Walking Dead comics and game, I don't know of anything outside of the Romero franchise that has actually used it.

That really only works if it's magic. I can't remember if it's Walking Dead or World War Z (or maybe something else) but it was one of those "zombie-ism is a virus" explanations, and supposedly it started happening everywhere at once because the virus does nothing to a living human and so it got spread everywhere before anyone knew about it.

No. How did the virus spread everywhere? How did it manage to go undetected so long? Was no one dying at all for a few months?

Even assuming magic, the zombies would have to be much stronger and more resilient than the humans they used to be, because otherwise you're mostly going to have a bunch of slow, feeble zombies that could be easily overpowered by even an average human.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Polaron posted:

Yup. The military gets demolished and eaten because apparently sharpened shovels are better at killing zombies than tanks and helicopter gunships. That sort of thing constantly happening in zombie movies is my personal annoyance. Take that scene in the pilot of the Walking Dead where the main character ends up in an abandoned tank. How the hell do zombies overwhelm a tank?! Our military's entire doctrine was built around killing large masses of soldiers! I don't care if zombies wouldn't retreat and wouldn't react to injury, they'd sure as hell react to canister shot and bombing runs! Heck, if you run out of ammo for the main gun just put the tank brigades into drive and run the horde down.

It could have just run out of gas.

WWZ was kind if weird because they at least tried to explain the military sucking where most movies just avoid it entirely. It was a pretty common theme that the massive amounts of refugees were often as big a problem as the zombies themselves. So they had tanks and jets and things, but when you're also struggling just to keep millions of people from freezing to death, you can't really use and maintain them.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
My favourite thing from Firefly was how Inara was introduced to the Priest as an "ambassador", and he becomes reverent and all with her becoming flustered and Mal saying "Actually, that's our whore :)". Great way to show one character's respect for the other.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The society collapse makes a little more sense in The Walking Dead since everybody just comes back to life anyway and doesn't need to be "infected" by a zombie biting a person.

In the book WWZ it is a virus but it spreads (IIRC) because of black market organ transplants.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

Regarding Fencing Chat, I can't help but be bothered when I see pretty much any sword fight that isn't specifically fencing (which the Princess Bride clip actually is), as outside that very formal and rigid combat system, that nobody that swordfought in history really ever fenced ever, let alone often parried, which is 97% of all Hollywood swordfighting (including lightsabres). In real life, that kind of fighting is a good way to break your broadsword or scimitar.

I've read this a few times and I have no idea what you're on about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Dr Scoofles posted:

I've read this a few times and I have no idea what you're on about.

In movies you see people hitting their swords together a lot but in real life people didn't really do that because their swords would break. That's all he was really saying.

• Locked thread