Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Doltos posted:

I think the only bad thing about the Texans tanking again next year, or trying to raise Keenum up to starting QB caliber, is that AJ80 will have one of his twilight years wasted. Imagine if they take Clowney, tank next year, then take Winston.

IMAGINE

Andre has had 51 rec, 782 yards (15.3 ypc), 5 TD in seven games with Keenum throwing to him. Yeah, a tiny fraction of that is Schaub coming back in during two games but still. In the first six games he was at 44 rec, 495 yards (11.25 ypc), no TDs. Teams know they can just bring the house at Keenum to throw him off, but that can be coached and it's not like AJ's production has nosedived in the second half of the season. A year of Keenum or whoever they bring in as a stopgap is not going to stop Dre. At this point I'm convinced only Dre (and BS injuries) can stop Dre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Intruder posted:

I don't think he's done. He looked pretty good the few times he was healthy this season. I'd give him another year at least to show he's still able to hold up, but if he has another injury plagued season then it's probably time to start getting antsy

I just wish Tate wasn't a FA until 2015. What's the franchise number for RBs?

High. I think the biggest ones are Peterson, Lynch, Charles, Foster, and Rice (or maybe MJD?) and I'm pretty sure they all make north of 5m per.

E: looked it up, it's Peterson (11.8m), Chris Johnson (at 10m, woof), Lynch (7m), McFadden (5.8m), and Foster (5.3m)

Johnson isn't worth worrying about as much since the team still has Hopkins who is making strides every week

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
Whats the story on Jake Matthews this year? Is he a once-in-a-lifetime type guy, because a lot of idiot fans have swung on over to taking him #1 overall to replace Derek Newton since Brown is signed until 2018 and is only 28 years old

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Arschlochkind posted:

Andre has had 51 rec, 782 yards (15.3 ypc), 5 TD in seven games with Keenum throwing to him. Yeah, a tiny fraction of that is Schaub coming back in during two games but still. In the first six games he was at 44 rec, 495 yards (11.25 ypc), no TDs. Teams know they can just bring the house at Keenum to throw him off, but that can be coached and it's not like AJ's production has nosedived in the second half of the season. A year of Keenum or whoever they bring in as a stopgap is not going to stop Dre. At this point I'm convinced only Dre (and BS injuries) can stop Dre.

Part of the reason teams can bring the house is because Foster is out and Tate is playing hurt. Being able to run the ball more would take a lot of the pressure off Keenum

Declan MacManus posted:

High. I think the biggest ones are Peterson, Lynch, Charles, Foster, and Rice (or maybe MJD?) and I'm pretty sure they all make north of 5m per.

E: looked it up, it's Peterson (11.8m), Chris Johnson (at 10m, woof), Lynch (7m), McFadden (5.8m), and Foster (5.3m)

Johnson isn't worth worrying about as much since the team still has Hopkins who is making strides every week

Chris Johnson is going to get cut, does that affect anything?

e: Woof, last season's tag amount was $8,219,000

Bye Tate

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 12, 2013

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

b0ng posted:

Whats the story on Jake Matthews this year? Is he a once-in-a-lifetime type guy, because a lot of idiot fans have swung on over to taking him #1 overall to replace Derek Newton since Brown is signed until 2018 and is only 28 years old

He's not a once-in-a-lifetime guy, he's about as good as the top OT prospects from last year (which is to say really really good) but with the caveat that he has experience and has played at a high level on both sides of the line, so it should be easier to plug-and-play him on the right side than it has been with Fisher and Joeckel.

He's definitely worth a top 5 pick in this class but I'd be wary of advocating taking him first overall over Clowney. He makes a ton of sense for the Falcons if they don't trade down.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Doltos posted:

I think the only bad thing about the Texans tanking again next year, or trying to raise Keenum up to starting QB caliber, is that AJ80 will have one of his twilight years wasted. Imagine if they take Clowney, tank next year, then take Winston.

IMAGINE

They've lost, like, 8 games this year by a touchdown or less with one of the harder schedules in the league. Getting some more talent/consistency at QB and getting a weak schedule due to parity will make it hard as hell to tank; the team is too talented for something like that.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

"One of the hardest schedules in the league" is a poor excuse when you've lost to the Jags twice, the Raiders, the Rams and blown a pair of three score halftime leads

Their two wins were far luckier than their losses were unlucky. Against the Chargers a questionable penalty on a FG turned a FG drive into a touchdown drive, against the Titans the safety was VERY questionable, and they needed a TD plus 2 point conversion to force overtime

This team needs a new QB, if not Bridgewater then SOMEONE. If Keenum is the guy next season I expect another top 10 if not top 5 pick

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

"One of the hardest schedules in the league" is a poor excuse when you've lost to the Jags twice, the Raiders, the Rams and blown a pair of three score halftime leads

Hard-er, buddy.

quote:

Their two wins were far luckier than their losses were unlucky. Against the Chargers a questionable penalty on a FG turned a FG drive into a touchdown drive, against the Titans the safety was VERY questionable, and they needed a TD plus 2 point conversion to force overtime

Not denying the wins were also lucky, but are you so far along in your doubt and narrative about the team that you're even questioning the safety from Week 2? Jesus, buddy, lighten up.

If we had more consistent QB play to start the year, we aren't losing to Seattle. This is not some putrid, talentless team.

quote:

This team needs a new QB, if not Bridgewater then SOMEONE. If Keenum is the guy next season I expect another top 10 if not top 5 pick

Meh, top 10 is a possibility but I don't see top 5, even with Keenum.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bhsman posted:

Not denying the wins were also lucky, but are you so far along in your doubt and narrative about the team that you're even questioning the safety from Week 2? Jesus, buddy, lighten up.

When it happened my exact reaction was "It's not a safety but I'll take it" once they explained that if the ball breaks the plane it's not a safety. When I thought it was, I assumed the ball had to get completely out of the end zone

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

When it happened my exact reaction was "It's not a safety but I'll take it" once they explained that if the ball breaks the plane it's not a safety. When I thought it was, I assumed the ball had to get completely out of the end zone

I'll say again, then: if the Texans are healthy (no missing Foster, OD, Cush, Brown for early parts of the season, etc.) do we still lose all of those games by less than a touchdown?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The only game I feel comfortable saying we win for sure if not for injury is the Seahawks game, and then only because Cushing wouldn't have taken a bad angle on Russell Wilson's 4th and 3 rush for a first down that Mays took that allowed him to convert it to keep a TD drive alive

But poo poo, injuries happen to every team, we lost to the Matt McGloins as he lead a team that has $50m in dead money on its books

e: I'm not all doom and gloom about this team though. I'm convinced we're a good QB, healthy Foster, a second above average pass rusher and a new RT from being a dangerous team again. I just don't think Keenum is that guy

And when I say new RT I mean just about anyone because god drat Newton blows

Intruder fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 13, 2013

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

The only game I feel comfortable saying we win for sure if not for injury is the Seahawks game, and then only because Cushing wouldn't have taken a bad angle on Russell Wilson's 4th and 3 rush for a first down that Mays took that allowed him to convert it to keep a TD drive alive

Correlation doesn't equal causation and all, but Cush leaving and the Seahawks making a push back matches a little too well for my liking. If we can't snag a good FA linebacker in the offseason I'm almost thinking it would be better to trade down from #1 to the ~6-8th spot and grab Mosley or Mack so the defense doesn't turn to slush immediately following an injury to Cush. That or the next coaching staff finally moves Reed inside. Yawin Smallwood could probably be picked up in the 4th round, though...

quote:

But poo poo, injuries happen to every team, we lost to the Matt McGloins as he lead a team that has $50m in dead money on its books

No offense to the Raiders but they'd probably love to have some of the players we've had to put on IR this year. :sigh:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bhsman posted:

No offense to the Raiders but they'd probably love to have some of the players we've had to put on IR this year. :sigh:

A lot of teams would like to have a lot of players that have been put on IR

Anyway, if we go Clowney #1 overall and remain in a 3-4, I can easily see Reed move inside and have Mercilus and Clowney outside, then we have a pretty solid LB corps. But the new regime had better have a plan for QB in that case

e: I can also see this team blowing it and winning 2 of the next 3, then missing out on Clowney and Bridgewater anyway

Intruder fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 13, 2013

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

Anyway, if we go Clowney #1 overall and remain in a 3-4, I can easily see Reed move inside and have Mercilus and Clowney outside, then we have a pretty solid LB corps.

That doesn't sound bad at all, or a trade down to grab Mack and a guy like Trent Murphy in the late first. Either way, it really makes me want us to grab Ray Horton or a guy like Todd Bowles.

quote:

But the new regime had better have a plan for QB in that case

"With the thirty-third pick in the NFL draft, the Houston Texans select..."

:getin:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

On a related note, Manziel all but confirmed that he's coming out for this year's draft (when asked about the NFL, he said "I'm ready"), as expected. I don't think he'll declare until after the bowl game, though.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Declan MacManus posted:

On a related note, Manziel all but confirmed that he's coming out for this year's draft (when asked about the NFL, he said "I'm ready"), as expected. I don't think he'll declare until after the bowl game, though.

My stupid uncle is already saying "good, gently caress that guy" cause he lost some games.

What I'm saying is that CFB fans are dumb.

I'm also going to be honest and say that I would be really exited if Houston got Clowney and somehow someone good managed to drop into the 2nd like Manziel.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

PrinceRandom posted:

My stupid uncle is already saying "good, gently caress that guy" cause he lost some games.

What I'm saying is that CFB fans are dumb.

I'm also going to be honest and say that I would be really exited if Houston got Clowney and somehow someone good managed to drop into the 2nd like Manziel.

Manziel is going to rise in workouts because of his shiny measurables and +accuracy and ball placement in drills. He won't look too hot when they're taking his height or in individual drills (loves to throw off his back foot) but that stuff is considered extremely coachable, and no one wants to miss out on a dude who could be the next Russell Wilson.

However, it's possible that he might fall to the bottom of the first and a trade-up is possible.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
If the Texans grab a guy like Bevell out of Seattle (to the elation of Seahawks fans, I guess), I could see the Texans grabbing Manziel and using him in a similar fashion.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Grozz Nuy posted:

He's not a once-in-a-lifetime guy, he's about as good as the top OT prospects from last year (which is to say really really good) but with the caveat that he has experience and has played at a high level on both sides of the line, so it should be easier to plug-and-play him on the right side than it has been with Fisher and Joeckel.

He's definitely worth a top 5 pick in this class but I'd be wary of advocating taking him first overall over Clowney. He makes a ton of sense for the Falcons if they don't trade down.

CBS' 2014 rankings have Jake as the #1 overall prospect at the moment

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

You can also fantasize about trading down with a team like the Rams and giving them Bridgewater and picking up Anthony Barr (no slouch himself) and then Manziel

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bhsman posted:

That doesn't sound bad at all, or a trade down to grab Mack and a guy like Trent Murphy in the late first. Either way, it really makes me want us to grab Ray Horton or a guy like Todd Bowles.

"With the thirty-third pick in the NFL draft, the Houston Texans select..."

:getin:

Well he won't last until 33 but just in case, :barf:

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
Whether we take Manziel or not, if he turns into the new VY at least this time I have a rooting interest! :neckbeard:

Edit: Let me practice:

"If we had Johnny Football we wouldn't be 3-5 right now I tell ya hwat, Rich. I'll hang up and listen."

Arschlochkind fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 13, 2013

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think that Jake Long is a very good comparison to Matthews and obviously he went #1. It wouldn't be out of the question, especially if Clowney's foot thing turns out to be significant.

Also Manziel to me looks like the kind of guy who will not do well at all in the combine. He's not big, his straight line speed isn't great and he's probably not going to look great in passing drills. I could be wrong but I think his draft stock is going to be based on the games more than anything.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bewbies posted:

Also Manziel to me looks like the kind of guy who will not do well at all in the combine. He's not big, his straight line speed isn't great and he's probably not going to look great in passing drills. I could be wrong but I think his draft stock is going to be based on the games more than anything.

You're right that he won't test well in the combine but his straight line speed should be fine. He won't have some uber 40 but 4.7/4.8 is realistic.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

You can bet the interviews will play a factor too since a third of the GMs in the NFL think he's some kind of character risk

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Please let Manziel bomb the combine and fall to the second round, inshallah

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Why do my fellow Texans fans hate me so much as to wish Manziel upon this team

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Intruder posted:

Because he's a risk, but his ceiling his higher than any other QB in the draft including Bridgewater. If we're taking Clowney then BQA in the 2nd I would rather that BQA be Manziel than Boyd/Mett/Fales or whoever

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

Elotana posted:

Because he's a risk, but his ceiling his higher than any other QB in the draft including Bridgewater. If we're taking Clowney then BQA in the 2nd I would rather that BQA be Manziel than Boyd/Mett/Fales or whoever

Elotana's got the right of it; Manziel could basically be Russell Wilson for us.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

bhsman posted:

Elotana's got the right of it; Manziel could basically be Russell Wilson for us.

If you picked him up in round 4 maybe. But I mean, isn't one undersized hometown hero enough?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

TheChirurgeon posted:

If you picked him up in round 4 maybe. But I mean, isn't one undersized hometown hero enough?

Meh, I like what Manziel has done against the competition he faced and how he improved this year despite all the questions about him in the offseason. Aside from Mettenberger on third-and-long I don't think there's any college QB I'd trust to make a march downfield more.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Manziel is going to find that NFL linemen can actually catch him on those scrambles and chucking the ball into coverage in the next level is going to turn into pick city

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

Manziel is going to find that NFL linemen can actually catch him on those scrambles and chucking the ball into coverage in the next level is going to turn into pick city

I don't think anyone here doubts that.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

Intruder posted:

What if a system is designed around that, though? Greg Jennings is really great at getting open, Cordarrelle Patterson and Jerome Simpson are good at either beating the coverage or making sure lobs aren't intercepted, and the Vikings offensive line does a decent job of run blocking.

What I'm saying is that I think Manziel could do very well on the Vikings if the system was changed even a little bit to accommodate his weaknesses and foster his strengths.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That's fine if that's what you want but I'd prefer not to build a system around having WRs constantly bailing the QB out on bad decisions into coverage

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Intruder posted:

Because the NFL certainly doesn't pluck any of those linemen out of the SEC, and physical improvement with NFL conditioning is confined to the defensive side of the ball.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
BFeldmanCBS: Ex nfl scout RT @JohnMiddlekauff: Multiple sources tell me Teddy Bridgewater has contemplated returning to school. No decision been made

Well that would sure change things. I doubt there's anything to it, of course.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That has all the makings of returner's remorse especially if Charlie Strong takes a HC job elsewhere. He would not be the first QB taken next year.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

warheadr posted:

BFeldmanCBS: Ex nfl scout RT @JohnMiddlekauff: Multiple sources tell me Teddy Bridgewater has contemplated returning to school. No decision been made

Well that would sure change things. I doubt there's anything to it, of course.

I don't see how that happens unless he really doesn't want to go to Houston/Jacksonville/Cleveland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Doctor Candiru posted:

What if a system is designed around that, though? Greg Jennings is really great at getting open, Cordarrelle Patterson and Jerome Simpson are good at either beating the coverage or making sure lobs aren't intercepted, and the Vikings offensive line does a decent job of run blocking.

What I'm saying is that I think Manziel could do very well on the Vikings if the system was changed even a little bit to accommodate his weaknesses and foster his strengths.

They can certainly scheme to adapt to his strengths. My concern would be that all of this scrambling is likely to lead to him taking a lot of hits. He's already had some injury scares this season and if he gets hurt like RGIII did, then you worry if he can still be an effective player if that element of his game is taken away. I think that is where him being short by QB standards is a concern. Right now he now counters that by scrambling outside of the pocket and looking down field, but if he's forced to stay in the pocket, then will he be able to find passing lanes and can he make plays when the defense doesn't break down? It's hard to say, Manziel is someone I've been kind of choosing not to think about. I need to start looking into him more and seeing if my concerns are justified. I haven't really honed in on a QB that I think would be the best fit for the Vikings yet, but it's hard at this stage of the draft process, especially when we don't know who will be coaching the team next season.

• Locked thread