Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

David Pratt posted:

Rotate it until it looks straight then, the human visual system is easily tricked.

I tried this, when you make the trees look straight the bridge looks crooked, there's no way to make it look not wrong. I still like the photo though so I'm keeping it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe play around with distortion correction to straighten out the bridge and leave everything else alone?

Or maybe even load it into photoshop and play with the perspective correction stuff.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

I'm brand new to photography in general but have been getting out and practicing as much as I can.

This past weekend I got a chance to take some landscape shots, I don't have any specific stuff for landscape shooting like an ND filter or anything but found that I was able to get a very similar result in lightroom (I think?). Is there still a role for a (physical) gradiated ND filter when shooting landscape photography with a DSLR or can you get better control over that stuff in post? If you're shooting RAW I can't see why you'd be too concerned about the overall exposure as it would be changed by using a gradiated ND filter.

Here's one of the shots I took, would love any feedback that might help me improve:

Lightroom can do an good job of it, but you also need to make sure when playing with the GRAD tool you are playing with it correctly.

I feel there is a time and a place for GND filters vs Lightroom Grad tool. You will find out on your own if you want to pack around a few GNDs or not.

RAW isnt just this awesome forgiving format with all the light data. You can gently caress up a RAW just as much as you can gently caress up a Jpg. If you are exposing correctly and using your gut feeling to make minor tweaks to your exposure, then you can be less concerned, its not just because you shot one file type over another. Practice eventually leads you there.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

VelociBacon posted:

Here's one of the shots I took, would love any feedback that might help me improve:

You really shouldn't have included that poo poo at the bottom. Without it this would be a really badass photo IMHO.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

xzzy posted:

Maybe play around with distortion correction to straighten out the bridge and leave everything else alone?

Or maybe even load it into photoshop and play with the perspective correction stuff.

Oh good thinking, yeah, I'll play with the distortion a bit.

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

DSC_0068 by thedoablebill, on Flickr

Read understanding exposure and then got a camera. This is my first attempt at a landscape.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006
A couple from Machhapuchare Base Camp in Nepal.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Kujaroth posted:

:stare: Nice

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Did you sharpen it a bunch?

Something is going on, the image feels so busy it hurts my eyes to look at it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

xzzy posted:

I think it's the perspective - my brain thought that it was a photo looking up (the first shot) but it's actually a photo looking down the mountain (I think?)

I like the shots for their impact for what it's worth.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Kujaroth posted:

Sweet gently caress. How did you get the opportunity to go there and get these?

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

xzzy posted:

Besides, "Wow, gorgeous." this was my reaction, too.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

This isn't really my area of photography, to be honest, but I do like to take "landscape-ish" shots from time to time, when I see something I like:

Ohio River by Lunken Spotter, on Flickr

River of Glass by Lunken Spotter, on Flickr

Columbus Skyline by Lunken Spotter, on Flickr

Lighted Border by Lunken Spotter, on Flickr

Nothing professional, and nothing that will be published ever, but it's pleasing to my eyes.

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 13, 2013

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Freezing Fog, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

DSC_0393.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_0406.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_0407.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_0408.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

gently caress yeah

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Dig this

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Kujaroth posted:

yeah

cool

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

I think it's the perspective - my brain thought that it was a photo looking up (the first shot) but it's actually a photo looking down the mountain (I think?)

I like the shots for their impact for what it's worth.

Looks like the rock layers are tilted back towards the viewer, so it looks like you're on top of them even though you're looking up at them.

Snow is nice.

Barn by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Orchardland by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Another shot from Big White.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

That's just loving awesome.

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

VendaGoat posted:

Sweet gently caress. How did you get the opportunity to go there and get these?

I hiked in there last month, this was just a stop on the way to Annapurna Base Camp.

xzzy posted:

I used an unsharp mask technique in PS on them. I suppose that one could argue they are oversharpened; personal taste I suppose. I like the visual impact it creates on this particular scene; usually I am far less liberal with my sharpening. The particular method I used is probably more suited to prints than web, but as I said personally I liked the impact it gave the images in this instance.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

Kujaroth posted:

I used an unsharp mask technique in PS on them. I suppose that one could argue they are oversharpened; personal taste I suppose. I like the visual impact it creates on this particular scene; usually I am far less liberal with my sharpening. The particular method I used is probably more suited to prints than web, but as I said personally I liked the impact it gave the images in this instance.
Dude, there are people who would kill to get shots like these. So it bothers me that you've gone overboard with something, there's a lot of haloing going on in the second pic. That shot deserves better!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Kujaroth posted:

I hiked in there last month, this was just a stop on the way to Annapurna Base Camp.

Lucky.

Also, I enjoy them, with the sharpening.

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

Mathturbator posted:

Dude, there are people who would kill to get shots like these. So it bothers me that you've gone overboard with something, there's a lot of haloing going on in the second pic. That shot deserves better!

It's interesting that you say there is haloing. I am typically someone who instantly notices haloing. On my display I honestly can't see any in that image, even after you pointed it out and I specifically looked for it. Of course, I do still have a piece of poo poo monitor. Even doing a side-by-side with the unsharp mask removed doesn't immediately highlight the presence of any haloing to me.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Take 3 steps forward and ditch those trees on the edge.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

_MG_8779 by spf3million, on Flickr

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Those shots that people are saying are over-sharpened are totes over-sharpened which is a shame because they would be sweet otherwise.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Lovin the colors.

Tom McCall Waterfront, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

Montgomery Park, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

Morrison Bridge, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

Musket fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 14, 2013

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I could only find one rock on my last trip to the north shore, but I liked the one I found:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30580418@N04/11372660894/

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 14, 2013

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Musket posted:

Take 3 steps forward and ditch those trees on the edge.

Was this serious? I can't tell I've been spending too much time in :gb2gbs:. The trees are perfect where they are.

edit: hahaha funny enough I should forget to turn off my GBS signature.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 14, 2013

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Helicity posted:

I could only find one rock on my last trip to the north shore, but I liked the one I found:

Black and White really suites this well.

This one. Very nice.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Helicity posted:

Nice (why isn't this linked back to the flickr page I want to fav it).

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Nice (why isn't this linked back to the flickr page I want to fav it).

A shameful flickr user, smh. http://www.flickr.com/photos/30580418@N04/11372660894/

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Shameful indeed (I'll change my ways). I kind of use my flickr as an image host for just any picture I need to throw out there, and I'm not used to taking things that people would favorite. Thanks for the complements!

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 14, 2013

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Untitled by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Dumpster Parking by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

U-Store Self Store by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Helicity posted:

Shameful indeed (I'll change my ways). I kind of use my flickr as an image host for just any picture I need to throw out there, and I'm not used to taking things that people would favorite. Thanks for the complements!

Not linking back to your flickr when you use it for hosting images you post elsewhere is technically against the Flickr community guidelines. Just sayin'.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
post the wisconsinest pics u got

Mars Cheese Castle by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Mars Cheese Castle by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Wanna go to a cheese castle.