Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Xik posted:

Alright thanks. At least it's good to know I haven't hosed something up. I don't know much about the whole ENB thing so I'll have to go have a read and see what I can do.

For non-visual mod content: I've been playing on master difficulty with Frostfall on hardcore (no fast travel oh god). It certainly changes the game up quite a bit, but overall I think it's a positive experience having to care about clothing, food, weather, heat etc. I wouldn't recommend it for new players, but certainly something to try for those that want to change things up. I guess time will tell if it continues to be a cute distraction or simply makes poo poo tedious after 10-20 hours into the character.

The Thalmor embassy can be a REALLY fun quest with this mod, especially once you leave and are stranded in one of the coldest parts of the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coonskin_Cap
Dec 6, 2012
Does anyone have a walkthrough for Aethernautics? I'm done trying to find the loose part in the maintenance tunnels (?) to fix the teleporter, I've looked everywhere I can think of without leaving the ship through the teleporter, and if I do that then there's no clear way to get back.

I just want back into skyrim so I can see if my other mods worked :smith:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Is the hardcore "no fast travel" mode self-imposed or is that part of frostfall's options?

It's an option. I just set the Frostfall preset to hardcore and left it (other than adjusting the UI to match iHUD). In for a penny, in for a pound right? The mod has a good mod menu though, so you can tweak the experience to your liking.

chaosapiant posted:

The Thalmor embassy can be a REALLY fun quest with this mod, especially once you leave and are stranded in one of the coldest parts of the map.

Haha, oh god. I had forgotten about that. That's going to be an.... issue.

Also, I really shouldn't have started going down this ENB rabbit hole. My poor rig is having a hard time with some of these ENB presets, ~40FPS is really noticeably choppy after playing with silky smooth 60 for so long.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Coonskin_Cap posted:

Does anyone have a walkthrough for Aethernautics? I'm done trying to find the loose part in the maintenance tunnels (?) to fix the teleporter, I've looked everywhere I can think of without leaving the ship through the teleporter, and if I do that then there's no clear way to get back.

I just want back into skyrim so I can see if my other mods worked :smith:

Make a new save, then just open up the console and type in coc whiterun and you'll be out of the ship. Once you check to see if your mods are working, reload the new save and go back to looking for the loose part.

Coonskin_Cap
Dec 6, 2012

Scyantific posted:

Make a new save, then just open up the console and type in coc whiterun and you'll be out of the ship. Once you check to see if your mods are working, reload the new save and go back to looking for the loose part.

:doh: completely forgot the console was even a thing, thanks.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Is anyone having any problems running BOSS? I ran it fine earlier when I was trying to sort out my mods before starting another run, but now that I went back and made some more changes the program just stops at "Updating to the latest masterlist from the Google Code Repository..." and just stops responding completely.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

It may just be having difficulty getting it from Google or wherever it's stored, at that moment. (I'm running into the same thing, trying right now.) I'd try again later.

Personally, I'm trying to figure out why the Solitude execution event doesn't feel like doing a goddamn thing. Everyone's just standing stock-still in their starting spots, and trying to talk to them gives their post-execution dialogue (this might happen during the execution normally, I dunno). I'm assuming it's some mod scripting conflict of some sort, but I'm running a relatively vanilla set of mods, so I dunno.

Is there any console command I could use to jumpstart the event or set it to already having completed, so all the NPCs go wandering back off to their normal stuff?

IoCaster
Feb 19, 2011

Vil posted:

It may just be having difficulty getting it from Google or wherever it's stored, at that moment. (I'm running into the same thing, trying right now.) I'd try again later.

Personally, I'm trying to figure out why the Solitude execution event doesn't feel like doing a goddamn thing. Everyone's just standing stock-still in their starting spots, and trying to talk to them gives their post-execution dialogue (this might happen during the execution normally, I dunno). I'm assuming it's some mod scripting conflict of some sort, but I'm running a relatively vanilla set of mods, so I dunno.

Is there any console command I could use to jumpstart the event or set it to already having completed, so all the NPCs go wandering back off to their normal stuff?

Did you enter Solitude through the main gate? If not there's a trigger point there that you need to walk over to kick things off. If that's not it then yeah probably mod related.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

IoCaster posted:

Did you enter Solitude through the main gate? If not there's a trigger point there that you need to walk over to kick things off. If that's not it then yeah probably mod related.

Also as stupid as it sounds maybe rest for a few hours/attack someone. You'll get a small bounty but I found it resets events a lot of times.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I did that, and I tried FUS-ing someone (pissing off everyone nearby) and coming back later, but neither fixed it. Going to have to play around with mod conflicts. I do have a save prior to the first time I entered the Solitude gate, so I'll screw around with that.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Is there something I can do the make the Apiary option appear at Lakeview Manor? I've built everything else, and there's still no option for the Apiary.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
So, uh, ENB now has cloud shadows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUwRH-QJZmU

King Dead
Apr 13, 2011

Is there a mod that makes horses into "passive" NPCs? So my horse doesn't run into battle with dragons or get targeted by enemies if I'm not actually on it.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

King Dead posted:

Is there a mod that makes horses into "passive" NPCs? So my horse doesn't run into battle with dragons or get targeted by enemies if I'm not actually on it.

Just open the console, click your horse and type: setav confidence 0

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
What SPERG-combatible mods out there, aside from stuff like Frostfall and eat/drink/fart, would emphasis the survival aspect a little more? I'm thinking of economic mods and the like more than bandits-will-kill-in-one-hit kinda thing. I liked the changes Requiem made to gathering, crafting and resource management but hated how it futzed with combat balance to such an insane degree.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Well, finally caved in and stuck ENB; I was sure it was going to be a pain to get it to run properly, but it worked on the first try and daaaaamn, it looks pretty; it's also running with no performance hit from what I can see, it's smooth sailing at 60fps.

Quick question about the profiles: I got Seasons of Skyrim and activated it via the Mod Organizer, but I read somewhere that the profiles are not "mod manager" compatible, is that referring to the NMM, or does it apply for the MO as well and I should install it manually?

And if the MO does work for profiles, can I just download a bunch and check/uncheck them to see which one I like better?

/edit: Two more while I'm at it. It looks like ENB starts switched off and I have to turn it on with shift-F12?

And finally, if I'm using the Mod Manager, do I need to run the game through it every time, or can I just fire up the SKSE exe?

Thanks and sorry for the dumb questions. :D

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 12, 2013

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Edmond Dantes posted:

And finally, if I'm using the Mod Manager, do I need to run the game through it every time, or can I just fire up the SKSE exe?

Thanks and sorry for the dumb questions. :D

Using the mod manager, you can create a shortcut with the dropdown just below "Run". If you don't need to change profiles or install a mod you can just run that.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

So I just downloaded like 100 different files going through the OP and choosing ones that looked good. Now I'm going to use the Mod Organizer to install them, then use BOSS to choose the order, and give it a go. Is that a good plan? Or is that likely to fail and I should instead be less greedy and install and test the mods one at a time. Because it took a number of hours just to choose the mods I wanted, if I had to do it any other way this would take weeks.

Does the order they're installed matter? Or just the order they're loaded...

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

SurgicalOntologist posted:

So I just downloaded like 100 different files going through the OP and choosing ones that looked good. Now I'm going to use the Mod Organizer to install them, then use BOSS to choose the order, and give it a go. Is that a good plan? Or is that likely to fail and I should instead be less greedy and install and test the mods one at a time. Because it took a number of hours just to choose the mods I wanted, if I had to do it any other way this would take weeks.

MO lets you re-order them with spooky computer magic.

I would recommend installing them in stages; not one at a time, but run skyrim unmodded, with SKSE, with all the unofficial patches, with the big gameplay tweaks, graphics overhauls, and then throw in all the extra armours and textures and miscellaneous stuff at the end. If you install everything and CTD on load figuring out what is amiss will be impossible.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Is that a good plan?
No. Bad plan. The number one mistake people new to modding these games make is installing 100+ mods at once. If something goes wrong, you'll have no way to troubleshoot things. Install & test mods one at the time, or at least in small batches.

Loadorder is always important. Depending on the mods in question and if they overwrite/contain the same files, installation order can also matter. Mod Organizer makes this a non-issue though as we no longer dump all mods into the Data folder like savages.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 12, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

So I just downloaded like 100 different files... Is that a good plan? Or is that likely to fail and I should instead be less greedy and install and test the mods one at a time.

It's likely to fail. Some of the mods in the OP are out of date, have finicky install procedures or have been replaced with better alternatives. Installing a slew of mods without testing them out is a good way to spend hours trying to figure out exactly which one is breaking your game.

Scyantific had a great starter list a few pages ago. This should really be added to the OP, because all of these are more or less vital and are unlikely to completely bork your game.

Scyantific posted:

Generally speaking, you'll want to do your first Skyrim run with as few mods as possible, that way you know exactly what you want to change about the game.

My recommendations for a first timer usually come down to:
-Unofficial Patches
-SkyUI
-Weapons and Armor Fixes
-Clothing & Clutter Fixes
-Even Better Quest Objectives
-Run For Your Lives
-When Vampires Attack
-Better Dialogue Controls
-Better Message Controls
-No Poison Dialogues
-Brawl Bugs Patch
-Timing Is Everything
-The Choice is Yours (so your quest log doesn't clutter up)
-Smart Souls/Aquisitive Soul Gems
-Thieves Guild Requirements (So you don't get roped into the Thieves Guild automatically)
-Bounty Gold (optional)
-Faster Mining
-Guard Dialogue Overhaul (no new dialogue, just makes them use existing stuff correctly)
-Static Mesh Improvement Mod (makes things look worlds better)

Most of these are things that make some of the glaring flaws of the game a bit less harsh (such as getting tossed into the Thieves Guild questline your first time in Riften), or making sure that vital NPCs stay alive during Vampire/Dragon attacks.

As for installing them, you'll want to install Mod Organizer, and install your mods through there. MO has a quick walkthrough the first time you start it up, and there are videos and links on how to use it and other mods in the OP.

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp
Have any of you tried I Cant Believe Its Not An ENB?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Would there be any problems installing an unofficial patch with a handful of mods already active? I assume the patches only affect the main game's archives, but I didn't know if there would be unintended side effects if I have a saved game where certain mods are interacting with the base files but then I alter those files.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

Not that one specifically but it looks like it's just a set of SweetFX settings, and SweetFX completely owns. Gets you a MUCH better looking skyrim with minimal if any performance hit.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

King Dead posted:

Convenient Horses does this. It makes it so horses are technically "friendly" to all factions so that no one attacks them and they don't attack anyone. It also has a lot of other nice features.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

kedo posted:

It's likely to fail. Some of the mods in the OP are out of date, have finicky install procedures or have been replaced with better alternatives. Installing a slew of mods without testing them out is a good way to spend hours trying to figure out exactly which one is breaking your game.

Scyantific had a great starter list a few pages ago. This should really be added to the OP, because all of these are more or less vital and are unlikely to completely bork your game.

Okay thanks. I think my list includes all those except one or two. Is it safe to start with that whole list or is even that risky? Of course if it doesn't work I can always go back and enable them one by one.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Okay thanks. I think my list includes all those except one or two. Is it safe to start with that whole list or is even that risky? Of course if it doesn't work I can always go back and enable them one by one.

That list seems pretty safe (correct me if I'm wrong, someone). Just make sure you put the unofficial patches in the right spot in your load order, and of course install SKSE.

If I were to whittle the list down to absolute essentials, it'd be:

-Unofficial Patches
-SkyUI
-Even Better Quest Objectives
-Run For Your Lives
-When Vampires Attack
-Better Dialogue Controls
-Better Message Controls
-Brawl Bugs Patch
-Smart Souls/Aquisitive Soul Gems
-Guard Dialogue Overhaul (no new dialogue, just makes them use existing stuff correctly)
-Static Mesh Improvement Mod (makes things look worlds better)

After playing with that for awhile, a logical next step would be to grab some visual mods if you have a pretty good video card. ENB and a few high res textures will go a long way.

e: You know what, I might even suggest SPERG on a first play through if that's what you're doing. You won't appreciate how great it is without playing vanilla, but it's really good.

kedo fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 13, 2013

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp

melon farmer posted:

Not that one specifically but it looks like it's just a set of SweetFX settings, and SweetFX completely owns. Gets you a MUCH better looking skyrim with minimal if any performance hit.

Awesome. I'll give this angry tonight. This seems like a lot less work to get this going than the alternatives.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

melon farmer posted:

Do you remember/know of another set of settings for this? I tried this one but it's a bit too saturated for my taste (I could probably tweak it with Illuminator, but if it is like ENB presets there should be a few more around).

/edit: I google good! http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/game/61/

Tarq posted:

Awesome. I'll give this angry tonight. This seems like a lot less work to get this going than the alternatives.

Let me know if you can get the MCMenu settings to stick, mine are resetting every time I quit the game. :mad:

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

A new version of SIMM is out. Another abomination of a common beth model stops looking like poo poo.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

kedo posted:

I might even suggest SPERG on a first play through if that's what you're doing. You won't appreciate how great it is without playing vanilla, but it's really good.

SPERG really makes the game for me. I love that progression opens up new play styles, and pretty much every path is rewording.

But do people actually do multiple playthroughs of Skyrim? I'd much rather get all of the mods that provide the best experience the first time around. I eventually settled on a list of ~115 that I really like.

For just one playthrough, I recommend:

Other small but awesome tweaks not listed by kedo: thundering shouts, Better Skill and Quest Books Names, BLESSINGS - Altar Descriptions, Functional Homes, Learn Alchemy From Recipes, Realistic crime report radius, No Leveled Item Rewards, House Markers, Guess Distance.

Good atmosphere/graphic additions: Climates of Tamriel, SMIM, Birds, Birds of Skyrim, Skybirds, Skyrim Flora Overhaul, Footprints, Deadly Spell Impacts, Unique Uniques, WATER.

Bigger tweaks: Ars Metallica, Skyrim Immersive Creatures, Helgen Reborn, Apocalypse - The Spell Package, Dwemerverse - Dwarven Magic Package, Immersive Battles/Brigands/Factions/Patrols/Travelers, Golden Vendors, Amazing Follower Tweaks, weapon and armor packs of your choice.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm about to load SMIM after all my other mods, goddamn.

Mage Ham
Apr 28, 2010
I've heard a few people mention installing Skyrim to a location that isn't Program Files; I'm curious about exactly what problems this avoids, and how exactly you go about it?

I'm really hoping it's not some sort of 'wipe everything and start over' deal, since I'm on satellite internet with a bandwidth cap. Regardless, though, I'd appreciate a little tutorial on shifting Skyrim to a new folder if it really makes a significant difference to performance/stability.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Forever_Peace posted:

But do people actually do multiple playthroughs of Skyrim?

Do people actually play through just once?

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
I've seen people talk about being the leader of every guild and doing every quest on one character. It's possible to play only one character and see pretty much all of the content, though I personally don't care for that style.

Is there some way to control what loading screens appear, or what chances any given screen has of appearing? The Conan mod adds some new loading screens, which is cool, but those are pretty much the only ones I'm seeing now and it's a little distracting.

futile
May 18, 2009

Mage Ham posted:

I've heard a few people mention installing Skyrim to a location that isn't Program Files; I'm curious about exactly what problems this avoids, and how exactly you go about it?

I'm really hoping it's not some sort of 'wipe everything and start over' deal, since I'm on satellite internet with a bandwidth cap. Regardless, though, I'd appreciate a little tutorial on shifting Skyrim to a new folder if it really makes a significant difference to performance/stability.
It avoids the User Access Control issues in Windows. It's probably a lot easier to just turn down/off UAC than it is to move your steam installation over.

Mage Ham
Apr 28, 2010

futile posted:

It avoids the User Access Control issues in Windows. It's probably a lot easier to just turn down/off UAC than it is to move your steam installation over.

Ah, I see; I've never actually had any trouble with that whilst gaming, so I guess it stays where it is!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

futile posted:

It avoids the User Access Control issues in Windows.

Steam gives regular users full permissions to its subfolders so UAC should be a non-issue.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Do people actually play through just once?
Wait... play through?

I've never finished an Elder Scrolls game. I think I might have got close with Morrowind, but I generally treat them as a "wander around beating the poo poo of of bandits" simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I'm trying to get into modding this for the first time and I need some help because Mod Organizer is confusing the hell out of me.

When I ran it for the first time, it opened up fine. But when I tried to close it, it asked for administrator access to delete some of its own files and spit a bunch of errors in my face if I refused. If I allowed it, it would delete a couple of files like modlist.txt and then complain that it could no longer find it, and then Mod Organizer crashes on me. Then it wouldn't open anymore because the file is gone, meaning that the only way for me to get it running again is to uninstall and reinstall it. Then it does the same thing again. :wtc:

Edit: Nevermind. I just used the regular archive instead of the installer this time and everything seems okay, I suppose.

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 13, 2013

• Locked thread