Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

StashAugustine posted:

It is the best thing, cause you can hand it all out to same-culture same-religion family members.

And then they start breeding at ruler level (rather than at courtier level), and you eventually end up with this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

James The 1st posted:

You need to start the game once with Steam connected to activate the DLC.

If I try to start the game with Steam running in the background and it was the same as usual, no DLC showing up. Normally I launch from a shortcut on my dock outside of Steam, so I tried to launch it a couple of times from within Steam and it quits unexpectedly before the launcher even comes up. I even tried deleting the whole thing and reinstalling it without any luck.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Just so you can't "jokingly" bring this up again, this thread's issue was "why is Paradox patching out a harmless event that happens once in a blue moon, and adds some flavour?" whereas the Paradox forums' issue is "MY IMMERSION! :qq:" and "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS! :qq:" and "FUCKIN JEWS! :qq:"

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

NihilCredo posted:

And then they start breeding at ruler level (rather than at courtier level), and you eventually end up with this:

Play the Rurikid duke vassal of the Golden Horde at the last bookmark and they have you beat, by holding 1248 counties, 375 duchies and 1(!) kingdom for a grand total of 10010 point with just 518 total members.

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet

computer parts posted:

The Game of Thrones CK2 mod is set to update on Tuesday and it has all sorts of neat features, including adding Essos (the Eastern Continent) and integrating a lot of the Sons of Abraham features.

Looks like the mod devs sent Arumba a pre-release copy. He's streaming a Dany playthrough right now.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Torrannor posted:

Play the Rurikid duke vassal of the Golden Horde at the last bookmark and they have you beat, by holding 1248 counties, 375 duchies and 1(!) kingdom for a grand total of 10010 point with just 518 total members.
Interesting! The number of members doesn't mean much since I imagine the database mostly records just the rulers, but the titles score is surprising. Luckily that game is still more than a century away from the 1337 bookmark so I guess I have a target to shoot for now :)

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Pff, real dynasty prestige minmaxers uses seniority :smug:

(Not mine)

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Kainser posted:

Pff, real dynasty prestige minmaxers uses seniority :smug:

(Not mine)

edit: jesus thats vanilla

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

genericnick posted:

Do vassal kings now provide more troops than dukes?

That's the idea, but I don't know what the actual multipliers are. Given that you're talking about potentially creating a very powerful vassal, it may not be worth it.

quote:

And I suppose the question with de jure kingdoms/empires is where your capital is? So as Scandinavia/Britannia for example I could gain significantly more levies by moving my capital to England from Denmark?

I don't know how the de jure penalties work when you hold multiple empires, but in the case of kingdoms you definitely want to ensure your most powerful is your primary because the others provide terrible levies.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Mailer posted:

That's the idea, but I don't know what the actual multipliers are. Given that you're talking about potentially creating a very powerful vassal, it may not be worth it.

Someone went in an actually tested the numbers when 2.0 first hit and his numbers looked like there was basically 0 difference at all between one vassal king and many vassal dukes.

grancheater posted:

Just tested this with console commands, all direct vassal opinions were 100:

King of Ireland, capital in Dublin, all duke vassals but Kildare: 4203 troops from vassals
King of Ireland, capital outside Ireland, all duke vassals: 2225 troops

Emperor of Scandinavia, capital outside Ireland, all duke vassals: 2222 troops
Emperror of Britannia, capital outside Ireland, all duke vassals: 2225 troops

Emperor of Scandinavia, capital outside Ireland, King of Ireland vassal: 2246 troops
Emperror of Britannia, capital outside Ireland, King of Ireland vassal: 2133 troops

Numbers probably change a bit due to buildings and vassal-liege opinion changes and buildings getting built. I let 6 months to a year pass after handling titles before check levy numbers.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DStecks posted:

Just so you can't "jokingly" bring this up again, this thread's issue was "why is Paradox patching out a harmless event that happens once in a blue moon, and adds some flavour?" whereas the Paradox forums' issue is "MY IMMERSION! :qq:" and "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS! :qq:" and "FUCKIN JEWS! :qq:"

Well I don't give a flying gently caress about the Paradox forum so I'll say whatever I like about things that get posted here. My point is, that from my perspective, there are people that are just as ridiculous who post here. At least I don't have to read Paradox posts because I don't actively read their forums.

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 13, 2013

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Well I don't give a flying gently caress about the Paradox forum so I'll say whatever I like about things that get posted here.

Well then, at least try to understand what's being posted here.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Well I don't give a flying gently caress about the Paradox forum so I'll say whatever I like about things that get posted here. My point is, that from my perspective, there are people that are just as ridiculous who post here. At least I don't have to read Paradox posts because I don't actively read their forums.

Well your perspective's pretty skewed considering you don't read the Paradox forums. Or are you seriously saying that people being slightly annoyed over an event being fixed are at all comparable to open, unabashed racists?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Well your perspective's pretty skewed considering you don't read the Paradox forums. Or are you seriously saying that people being slightly annoyed over an event being fixed are at all comparable to open, unabashed racists?

Yeah, I think that people who find incest humorous are comparable to racists. Is this a controversial opinion?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Yes.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Yeah, I think that people who find incest humorous are comparable to racists. Is this a controversial opinion?

Nah dude, having a chuckle at the game accidentally hooking up close relatives is totally the same as hating Jews.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Games are meant to be fun. The incest popup was so deranged that you couldn't help but laugh at it. The game is now less fun than it was because of it's removal. I laugh less often.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I don't like people who shitpost for the sake of shitposting. Is this a controversial opinion?

Edit: Seriously, you get that this isn't FYAD, right?

Claytor fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 13, 2013

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DStecks posted:

Nah dude, having a chuckle at the game accidentally hooking up close relatives is totally the same as hating Jews.

There was nothing in those paradox posts that could be considered "hatred". Grow a thick skin.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Knuc If U Buck posted:

There was nothing in those paradox posts that could be considered "hatred". Grow a thick skin.

Paradox Forums user posted:

The Jews shouldn't be in the game in the first place, be happy that developers made this happen because of extensive Jewish lobbying from the US and Israel.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

That appears to be a joke.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Knuc If U Buck posted:

That appears to be a joke.

Please stop posting and making GBS threads up this thread. I read it to read to see funny/cool stories about EU4 CKII or learn about EU4 CKII, not see your opinion about goons or whatever you are bitching about now.

edit: I'm an idiot

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 13, 2013

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Mickey McKey posted:

Please stop posting and making GBS threads up this thread. I read it to read to see funny/cool stories about EU4 or learn about EU4, not see your opinion about goons or whatever you are bitching about now.

Go read the EU4 thread then. I'm done with that heap of poo poo and no longer play and post in that thread.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I have 8 pages of contribution to this thread, and one comment about goons and I'm all of a sudden I'm a shitposter who's ruining the thread.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm sorry but I dont care about what Paradox or you or goons have to say about Jews or Incenst and this has been going on for like two pages. And it was a typo about EU4; I am following both threads.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Mickey McKey posted:

I'm sorry but I dont care about what Paradox or you or goons have to say about Jews or Incenst and this has been going on for like two pages. And it was a typo about EU4; I am following both threads.

Which was my original point. Thank you.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I have 8 pages of contribution to this thread, and one comment about goons and I'm all of a sudden I'm a shitposter who's ruining the thread.

So having posted a bunch in the past gives you license to shitpost?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Which was my original point. Thank you.

Except YOU are causing this derail.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Feeling a little entitled are we? No one asked your opinion yet you have to keep speaking up about....something?!?

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Who gives a poo poo. Reminder that this thread had several pages of goons crying over paradox patching out incest. Those who live in glass houses...

Please show me goons "bitching" about this. At worst I saw some bad jokes and people saying they did not want to see the 'accidental incest' being patched out.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

edit- On second thought, I don't feel like getting probated for continuing this worthless derail.

Oh look even you said it was a derail. Yet you keep posting about it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
If you check the dude's post history he's a major FYAD / YOSPOS poster, so I'd suggest just ignoring him. Let's talk about CK2 instead of arguing, that's way more fun!

For example, I just fixed some bugs in Sonendar.

Sonendar 1.05.5

Mister Adequate, I've been chugging away at the Hungry Ones event. I still can't get it to work!! Even though I copied it directly from the Seljuk event, changing provinces and religions and cultures of course, it still won't spawn anything in the province it's supposed to! It's better than earlier, though, at least folks won't be randomly getting doomstacks, haha! I also made some tweaks and improvements here and there.

Remember that it's not compatible with SOA, so be sure to turn Sons of Abraham off before playing!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 13, 2013

Nethris
Mar 28, 2010
Is sending children from your court to be educated by foreigners limited to only those that share both your culture and your religion? I'm only seeing an opinion bonus in the diplo screen on a few high relations rulers I try to talk to for this, and it seems to be only those that share both culture and religion, though I'm not sure if that's to me or to the child, nor if that comparison is being made with the ruler in question or the potential mentor. The lack of a special message like "X must not marry an infidel" for marriages is annoying if that's what's happening.

Main Paineframe posted:

Not really so complicated as to need tutorials for. In the retinues tab of your military screen, you can recruit 500-man armies, each costing a certain number of "retinue points" depending on their composition. You can choose between various types of retinue with different troop compositions; each culture has one unique retinue type available only to characters of that culture, and there's also several generic retinues that are available to all characters. The total points of your active retinues cannot exceed your "retinue cap", which is decided based on tech, buildings, and number of holdings; when you've got enough retinues to reach the cap, you can't recruit any more till the cap increases. Retinues only cost money if they need to reinforce (in other words, zero upkeep as long as they're undamaged), and don't need to be disbanded before declaring war - they're like your own personal army you can keep around forever.

The bonuses are somewhat complicated (and hidden). All retinues have a high bonus to unit stats of the sort that is given by the highest end cultural specific troop buildings - so they're going to be better in some way than average troops. Short version - the Shock and Defense universal retinue bonuses aren't ideal while the Skirmish retinue has the same archer bonus as Longbow retinues, so unless you want lots of light cavalry or don't want to deal with part of your army being archer heavy, Skirmish retinues are probably the most cost effective universal option. For cultural retinues, single type retinues are usually solid other than maybe light cavalry due to all having a 60% bonus rather than splitting it, and Knight retinues have a full 60% offense bonus to the heavy cavalry that make up 3/4 of their cost. Those and the retinues containing horse archers are probably better than the generics.

On a somewhat related topic, does anyone know how culture specific building bonuses are applied in vassal levies? I'm assuming that they normally apply to all troops of those types from that specific holding and only to that holding's troops, but I'm curious if that remains true with multi-holding vassal levies that are all lumped together.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011
Edit: Don't want to further contribute to the derail. And I quoted the wrong post anyway, because I am dumb.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

If you check the dude's post history he's a major FYAD / YOSPOS poster, so I'd suggest just ignoring him. Let's talk about CK2 instead of arguing, that's way more fun!

This will be my last post on the topic. Sorry for causing this derail because I actually like this thread (cf the the offerings on the Paradox forums, this thread is the superior in every way). However, despite what my post history/rap sheet says, I was not trying to rile anyone up on purpose.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
To further change the subject...

I've not played this game in a very long time. With the inevitable steam winter sale around the corner, are any of the newer DLC's worth picking up at reduced cost? I currently have the base game, Legacy of Rome, and Sword of Islam. I have no intentions to buy the songs or pictures DLC's, I'm only really interested in the gameplay ones.

When I stopped playing the game, I had only done vanilla. I read the OP for some of the downloadable mods, but the OP seems a tad dated now. I was wondering if there were any de-facto mods I should pick up when I get back into this game. Are any of the mods dependent on certain DLC's, or will I be able to use them with my copy as is?

Many thanks, Goons.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Rev posted:

To further change the subject...

I've not played this game in a very long time. With the inevitable steam winter sale around the corner, are any of the newer DLC's worth picking up at reduced cost? I currently have the base game, Legacy of Rome, and Sword of Islam. I have no intentions to buy the songs or pictures DLC's, I'm only really interested in the gameplay ones.

When I stopped playing the game, I had only done vanilla. I read the OP for some of the downloadable mods, but the OP seems a tad dated now. I was wondering if there were any de-facto mods I should pick up when I get back into this game. Are any of the mods dependent on certain DLC's, or will I be able to use them with my copy as is?

Many thanks, Goons.

Old Gods is generally considered the best DLC for good reason. If you like the base game at all, it builds on it considerably with the addition of playable pagans and a new start date. I like The Republic, but a lot of people don't care to play as them. SoA, I feel is the weakest of the new DLCs. A lot of the interesting stuff it adds are just extended event chains and thenew mechanics are easily abusable by the player. I'm sure it will be balanced in future patches hes though and is still a good addition to the game.

For my mind, all the gameplay DLCs are worth it.

As for mods, I don't usually touch them so perhaps someone else can answer.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah, I like SoA, it was priced right for what it was- a smaller addon than, say, Old Gods- but at the same time I would like it better if they'd focused on a single religion rather than all three of Christianity, Islam, and adding Judaism. Give that religion a real strong Old Gods treatment, you know, then move on to the next one.

Granted, there are plenty more expansions to come, and hell, I'll buy them all since I love CK2.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Can muslims castrate their prisoners like byzantines can? Playing as count of Napoli turned byzantine megaduke turned king of trebizond in CK2+ and just scored a marriage with the duchess of achaia, so I really need to start popping out some kids. The dumb emperor put me in his army even though I'm his Magistros and sent me at a jihad and now I'm stuck in Baghdad at the Caliph's pleasure. Is this because I got the Court Faction to demand tax privileges, you jerk? :argh:

Also, if I send an army to go and siege the holding where my ruler is incarcerated, will I have the option to liberate him?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Naw only byzantines can blind/castrate. It's moddable though, Wiz gave both options for every ruler in CK2+ a while back but he nixed that pretty quickly because the AI tends to go overboard with it.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
So if someone if independent, of my culture, of my dynasty, my religion but not my de jure vassal, will I be able to vassalize them?

I somehow have a female kid of a Muslim duke who was born in my prisons so she ended up being born an Irish Catholic. I kinda want to marry her to someone of my dynasty and them press her claim once daddy dearest dies and don't want to wait for her to have kids/she'd have a strong claim while her kids would only have weak ones.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

The Saurus posted:

Can muslims castrate their prisoners like byzantines can?

It's based on culture, not religion. Any ruler from the Byzantine culture group (formerly the Greek culture group: Greek, Georgian, Alanian, and another I can't remember) can mutilate prisoners. So a Greek Muslim can, but not someone from any typically Muslim culture.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Arbitrary Coin posted:

So if someone if independent, of my culture, of my dynasty, my religion but not my de jure vassal, will I be able to vassalize them?

I somehow have a female kid of a Muslim duke who was born in my prisons so she ended up being born an Irish Catholic. I kinda want to marry her to someone of my dynasty and them press her claim once daddy dearest dies and don't want to wait for her to have kids/she'd have a strong claim while her kids would only have weak ones.

It's theoretically possible if you can get it lined up right, but it takes a lot of things, and if they're too far away from you the penalty for that will probably override everything else.

• Locked thread