Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Now this is a somewhat old movie, possibly made for TV.

I saw it at some point in the 90's, although the movie itself may be older. As a child, I remember watching a scene on TV that showed a woman squeezing her finger, shooting out blood into a container and the camera pans to show multiple containers full of blood. The tone of the movie was darkly humorous I guess.

Anyway, after filling up the last container she asks if this is enough blood, and her female companion seems unsatisfied with the results. Anyway, a guy comes in, they talk a bit, then the camera shows eyes slowly emerging from the blood. A huge hairy monster comes out of the blood, says something in a squeaky voice, then leaves.

I know this is very vague (I don't even remember what the monster looks like) but any guesses would be appreciated. After all these years I'd like to know the context of that scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

PumpkinBat posted:

Now this is a somewhat old movie, possibly made for TV.

I saw it at some point in the 90's, although the movie itself may be older. As a child, I remember watching a scene on TV that showed a woman squeezing her finger, shooting out blood into a container and the camera pans to show multiple containers full of blood. The tone of the movie was darkly humorous I guess.

Anyway, after filling up the last container she asks if this is enough blood, and her female companion seems unsatisfied with the results. Anyway, a guy comes in, they talk a bit, then the camera shows eyes slowly emerging from the blood. A huge hairy monster comes out of the blood, says something in a squeaky voice, then leaves.

I know this is very vague (I don't even remember what the monster looks like) but any guesses would be appreciated. After all these years I'd like to know the context of that scene.

Blood Diner?

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Released in the 2000's, set in the 1950's, based on a true story. A girl is adopted by a single mother (her aunt?) and is abused by both her and her sons and I think a neighbor kid. The mother accuses the girl of corrupting her sons and imprisons her in the basement where the mother instructs the boys to rape her. Eventually on of the boys helps her escape.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0802948/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_22

An American Crime with Ellen Page? The escape scene ends up being a dream.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Davros1 posted:

This may have been part of an anthology TV series, or maybe it was a film. I'm not quite sure.

It's from the late 60's/early 70's, and it's in color. A group of college students are staying in a home with an old woman, and unbeknowst to the woman, they're running an experiment on her to see if they can drive her insane and/or get her to commit murder. They use trickery to get her to believe that she's seeing ghosts, and she's convinced (or believes that she's had a premonition?) that a young woman in the house is going to drown because of this spirit.

Quoting myself, since I discovered what it was, and that it's kind of hosed up.

It was called "Dear Joan: We're Going to Scare You to Death" starring Joan Crawford. Now when I caught a few minutes of it, it was airing at 1:00 A.M. According to my on-screen guide, what was playing was "Night Gallery". So I went online at the time to find out what it the episode was called, but saw nothing in the online Night Gallery sites that had an episode that matched what the episode was about. That's when I came here and posted the above question. I figured maybe the guide was wrong.

Well, anyway, last night, at 1:00 A.M., I flip on the TV and there's something on that looks awful similar in style to the thing I had caught before. And the guide again insisted that it was Night Gallery. Well, this time I stayed to the end to get some clue that I could later use to look up. Low and behold, a young Scott Glenn's in this, playing a guy called Mark Hall. So I go to IMDB to with this information and look it up. It turns out that this wasn't Night Gallery, but an episode of a show called "The Sixth Sense."

So was my guide wrong all this time?

No, because apparently, for syndication purposes, they took the show The Sixth Sense, edited down into half hour episodes, and air it as part of Night Gallery.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I have two examples that are fairly recent (like "last few years" recent, I'm only remembering them from the trailers:

The first one had a Liam Neeson-alike who lived out in the middle of nowhere and was training his daughter to become an assassin. Eventually he gets killed and it's up to the daughter to avenge him, I think the target was some sort of Angelina Jolie-alike. I think.

The next one had some students that were vacationing in either Russia or somewhere in eastern Europe. Something happens and they're attacked by monsters that are sort of darkness personified, kind of like in Alan Wake, but less humanoid. They rely on light to either attack them or survive.

They both only got so-so reviews at the time, but I think they might be cheesy fun. Any help would be appreciated.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I think the first one might be "Hannah" and the 2nd one is "The Darkest Hour"

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Yes, that's them, thanks!

Man I thought I had searched IMDB for everything "dark" related, too.

Also, apparently the Liam Neeson-alike is Eric Bana :buddy:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Seventh Arrow posted:

I have two examples that are fairly recent (like "last few years" recent, I'm only remembering them from the trailers:

The first one had a Liam Neeson-alike who lived out in the middle of nowhere and was training his daughter to become an assassin. Eventually he gets killed and it's up to the daughter to avenge him, I think the target was some sort of Angelina Jolie-alike. I think.

The next one had some students that were vacationing in either Russia or somewhere in eastern Europe. Something happens and they're attacked by monsters that are sort of darkness personified, kind of like in Alan Wake, but less humanoid. They rely on light to either attack them or survive.

They both only got so-so reviews at the time, but I think they might be cheesy fun. Any help would be appreciated.

I also thought Hanna for the first one. No H at the end.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I'm trying to remember the name of a movie. I think it's 80s or earlier. It's Chinese or Japanese, involving a father and son ascending to a forested mountain to live a quiet life (the time period is ambiguous during this portion). Later on the father has to journey down into the world to get food or something, where you're shown that the movie is actually set in contemporary times. He begs for food but leaves disappointed in the modern world. I think there's a festival later on? The movie is incredibly slow. I think the whole thing was a Buddhist parable or something.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

david_a posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a movie. I think it's 80s or earlier. It's Chinese or Japanese, involving a father and son ascending to a forested mountain to live a quiet life (the time period is ambiguous during this portion). Later on the father has to journey down into the world to get food or something, where you're shown that the movie is actually set in contemporary times. He begs for food but leaves disappointed in the modern world. I think there's a festival later on? The movie is incredibly slow. I think the whole thing was a Buddhist parable or something.

Quite a bit newer (2003) and Korean, but is it Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Starscream posted:

Quite a bit newer (2003) and Korean, but is it Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring?
No, that's not it. The father may have been a monk, however. We had to watch this movie for a class on East-Asian philosophy but I swear I'd seen it before that. It felt like it could have been in the Criterion Collection.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
This is a stab and it's Korean again, but it''s not Why Has Bodhi-Dharma Left For the east is it? Some parts of your description fit.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Starscream posted:

El Graplurado posted:

This is a stab and it's Korean again, but it''s not Why Has Bodhi-Dharma Left For the east is it? Some parts of your description fit.

Even if these are both wrong, they're fantastic films.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

El Graplurado posted:

Yes! I remember the injured bird and the "ten minutes of talking" in a 2+ hour film sounds right. Skimming through some YouTube clips confirms it. I guess it was Zen instead of Buddhist :)

Thanks!

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

There is a comedy from I want to say mid to late 90s/early 00s where the main character runs into a kid who tries to blackmail him, threatening to go to the cops if he doesn't (buy him something or buy something from him). The kid demonstrates by changing his voice to higher pitched and saying things like "he touched my bottom!"

At the end of the movie, the villain gets screwed when the kid tells the cops or authority figure on him.

All I can remember is he says something like "there's the bad man mommy! He touched my bottom! He made me sit on his lap and play Santy Claus!"

I want to say its an Adam sandler movie, but I can't find any evidence pointing in that direction. It just has that feel.

Grillburg
Oct 9, 2013

The Senator Giroux posted:

There is a comedy from I want to say mid to late 90s/early 00s where the main character runs into a kid who tries to blackmail him, threatening to go to the cops if he doesn't (buy him something or buy something from him). The kid demonstrates by changing his voice to higher pitched and saying things like "he touched my bottom!"

At the end of the movie, the villain gets screwed when the kid tells the cops or authority figure on him.

All I can remember is he says something like "there's the bad man mommy! He touched my bottom! He made me sit on his lap and play Santy Claus!"

I want to say its an Adam sandler movie, but I can't find any evidence pointing in that direction. It just has that feel.

Lost & Found, with David Spade: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120836/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

EDIT - Here's a Youtube clip of that scene with the kid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTztTOQ5isQ

Grillburg fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 13, 2013

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Grillburg posted:

Lost & Found, with David Spade: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120836/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

EDIT - Here's a Youtube clip of that scene with the kid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTztTOQ5isQ

That's it! Thank you so much!

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

Blood Diner?

I don't think so? The two women seemed like protagonists, not victims.

But thanks for the suggestion.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Trying to remember the name of a film I saw when on TV when I was a kid. It's a horror movie from the 60s or 70s (?) about a poltergeist (?) which at some point locks itself in a room and eats some kind of crystal (?) to the great consternation of the main characters (?) and there's also a scene in which something that looks like a totem pole rolls down an auditorium (?).

Does anyone have any idea what I am talking about

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

End Of Worlds posted:

Trying to remember the name of a film I saw when on TV when I was a kid. It's a horror movie from the 60s or 70s (?) about a poltergeist (?) which at some point locks itself in a room and eats some kind of crystal (?) to the great consternation of the main characters (?) and there's also a scene in which something that looks like a totem pole rolls down an auditorium (?).

Does anyone have any idea what I am talking about

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess that you are thinking of The Manitou

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
It's a b-grade 80s scifi(?)/horror movie but the only part I recall is that people are sometimes attacked by having these weird things thrown at them that look like the tops of mushrooms. They are some sort of creature that chews into you, and I think when someone pulls one out of their arm it trails a long tentacle out of them.
One is thrown at a guy standing near a pick-up truck and it hits the window. You can see it through the glass and has little chewing mouthparts.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Gromit posted:

It's a b-grade 80s scifi(?)/horror movie but the only part I recall is that people are sometimes attacked by having these weird things thrown at them that look like the tops of mushrooms. They are some sort of creature that chews into you, and I think when someone pulls one out of their arm it trails a long tentacle out of them.
One is thrown at a guy standing near a pick-up truck and it hits the window. You can see it through the glass and has little chewing mouthparts.

Sounds like Without Warning starring Jack Palance and Walter Mathau

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Nice one, the trailer shows you are exactly right. Looks suitably lovely, too, so I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
News was showing highlight reel of Peter O Toole and there was one clip of him in what looked like china. E was trying on a hat in what looked like the forbidden city.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

News was showing highlight reel of Peter O Toole and there was one clip of him in what looked like china. E was trying on a hat in what looked like the forbidden city.

I believe he was the tutor of "The Last Emperor".

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Zwabu posted:

I believe he was the tutor of "The Last Emperor".

Yes, that's correct.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Don't think I've ever seen that in its entirety

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I've only caught parts of this movie probably 20 years ago so this might be tough. It was a 80s or early 90s horror movie involving a genie (I think Wishmaster is too new). I think the genie/spirit came from a magic ring. A teenage girl gets the ring without realizing what it is and tells her dad "I wish you were dead" for some angsty reason. There is a scene where the dad & daughter are in a computer lab frantically looking up info on the genie while it is smashing through some metal security barriers one-by-one, getting ever closer. I seem to recall it having the form of some giant gray thing during this. I believe at some later point the dad is killed/possessed and has glowing eyes, much to the dismay of his daughter.

I've found the movie The Outing / The Lamp, but I didn't recognize anything from the trailer (it could still be it).

EDIT: Actually I just found a much better trailer by searching for "The Lamp" instead of "The Outing" (:rolleyes:) and it must be this movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VEboYIJefo
You can see some metal security doors being closed and it smashing through them, which looks very familiar.

Well that was easy :cheeky:

david_a fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 16, 2013

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I'm trying to remember a movie that has the rather common plot of a dead wife trying to warn the new wife of her (their) husband's murderous side.

I watched it with my then 5 or 6 year old daughter, so it must have been 'family friendly'. I want to say it was in black and white also.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Dr.Caligari posted:

I'm trying to remember a movie that has the rather common plot of a dead wife trying to warn the new wife of her (their) husband's murderous side.

I watched it with my then 5 or 6 year old daughter, so it must have been 'family friendly'. I want to say it was in black and white also.

Do you have any idea what time frame the movie was made in? You mention black and white, but was that because the movie is old or a stylistic choice?

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

This is more about identifying a poster, but I've got an image stuck in my head of an eyeball with a couple of slashes of light across one side of it. I think it might be from a movie poster, but I can't quite place it. My gut is telling me it's something Italian too, but that's just a hunch based on the picture in my mind. Any really obvious thoughts?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

CzarChasm posted:

Do you have any idea what time frame the movie was made in? You mention black and white, but was that because the movie is old or a stylistic choice?

An older movie.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

The Leck posted:

This is more about identifying a poster, but I've got an image stuck in my head of an eyeball with a couple of slashes of light across one side of it. I think it might be from a movie poster, but I can't quite place it. My gut is telling me it's something Italian too, but that's just a hunch based on the picture in my mind. Any really obvious thoughts?

A obvious guess would be for Un Chien Andalou?

Thejaff
Jun 14, 2002
Bines au lard

The Leck posted:

In case you're remembering wrong, those are movie with posters featuring mostly an eyeball:

The Visitor (the 1979 italian movie)
Saw 3D
Skeleton Key
Seed of Chucky
Cursed ( with slashes on one side, but not light)

Probably a long shot, but could it be the french movie poster for Fulci's City of the Living Dead:
http://lepetitcinemadestephane.blogspot.ca/2011/06/frayeurs.html

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Thejaff posted:

In case you're remembering wrong, those are movie with posters featuring mostly an eyeball:

To add to that.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
I didn't watch all of the movie, since I was busy at the time; I just watched about 10 minutes and noted down the title to watch later, which I then lost.

The scene that I remember most is three guys come out of a building to see a vehicle on fire; I think it was a car or truck. One of them says, “Aw man, they burned my ride” or something similar. I also remember the 3 'villains' called themselves the existentialists, dressed all in black and had really pale make-up on their faces. It was only a few months back when I saw it, but it was on TV so I don't know how long it's been out.

Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour

OscarDiggs posted:

I didn't watch all of the movie, since I was busy at the time; I just watched about 10 minutes and noted down the title to watch later, which I then lost.

The scene that I remember most is three guys come out of a building to see a vehicle on fire; I think it was a car or truck. One of them says, “Aw man, they burned my ride” or something similar. I also remember the 3 'villains' called themselves the existentialists, dressed all in black and had really pale make-up on their faces. It was only a few months back when I saw it, but it was on TV so I don't know how long it's been out.

Probably The Big Lebowski.

The villains were actually nihilists, but that doesn't matter.

Starblind fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 20, 2013

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Starblind posted:

Yeah, the non-TV line is "Well, they finally did it - they killed my loving car."

And it totally matters that they're nihilists. Say what you will about the tenets of National Socialism, but at least it's an ethos.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

Starblind posted:

That's the one; That name mix up is probably why I had so much trouble looking it up myself. Anyway, thanks a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

ClydeUmney posted:

Yeah, the non-TV line is "Well, they finally did it - they killed my loving car."

And it totally matters that they're nihilists. Say what you will about the tenets of National Socialism, but at least it's an ethos.

The best line of that movie is "'FAIR??' WHO'S THE loving NIHILIST AROUND HERE?"