Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

drgnvale posted:

So uh, thanks for recommending Betrayer. The first 300 pages were pretty good, as far as 40k fiction goes, but holy poo poo the last 4th of the book was great.

Now I need to go re-read the last 5 or 6 pages to mouse over all of those spoilers...

Read the Thousand Sun/ Prospero Burns next. If you want to read something by the same author The First Heretic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Waroduce posted:

Read the Thousand Sun/ Prospero Burns next. If you want to read something by the same author The First Heretic.

Yeah, I'll be following up with those two next. I've already read The First Heretic and Know No Fear (or I'd have been pretty confused by most of Betrayer).

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
You also have to read Aurelian after the First Heretic. It's critical to understanding's Lorgar's arc.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Looking back at it, of all the things Lorgar's done, the one that stuck with me the most is just Lorgar looking down at somebody and calmly saying "Blood for the Blood God" while raising his mace. It was chilling, compared to the usual berserkers screaming it.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
How exactly does the scripts work as a book? It is apparently a book of 6 of the audio dramas. But is it just a script, or has it been changed to work as a novel?

I really just want to read the butchers nails and not buy an audiobook. :(

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 14, 2013

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It's in the "Angron" e-book collection of short stories.

It's got the Butcher's Nails, another ADB story, and one by Matthew Farrer, who wrote the Shira Calpurnia books. I think it was 5 bucks or so. All the stories were good, imo.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

VanSandman posted:

You also have to read Aurelian after the First Heretic. It's critical to understanding's Lorgar's arc.

Thank god for ebooks. Yes, this was a good read. I hope I can get into A Thousand Sons. The only McNeil book I've read is False Gods, and it took me months to get through because it was so tedious.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Khizan posted:

It's in the "Angron" e-book collection of short stories.

It's got the Butcher's Nails, another ADB story, and one by Matthew Farrer, who wrote the Shira Calpurnia books. I think it was 5 bucks or so. All the stories were good, imo.

Awesome thanks.

I am impressed with John French's writing, its no ADB but all of his short stories so far have been very well done. I hope he gets to write his own Horus Heresy novel.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is the Iron Hands novel good? Or should I just read Wrath of Iron if I want a taste of the chapter?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Schneider Heim posted:

Is the Iron Hands novel good? Or should I just read Wrath of Iron if I want a taste of the chapter?

Wrath of Iron is really great. I haven't read Iron Hands but it's a relatively early 40k novel so it probably isn't literary gold.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Finished mark of calth, and it was one of the better collections of short stories.

I am curious did anyone read Tallarn Executioner? or Scars? How was it?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

UberJumper posted:

Finished mark of calth, and it was one of the better collections of short stories.

I'm halfway through Executioner now. I can probably post a full review tomorrow. Starts off promising but it is real heavy on Fremen references with the natives so far.

Edit: some neat but weirdly flat battle sequences. Uneven character development and jumbled narrative. Overall for BL it was OK. The tank fights read more like forge world ads than anything else.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 19, 2013

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

UberJumper posted:

Scars was pretty great, I thought. Some good characterisation for the White Scars, nicely fleshing them out. There's a bit of Alpha Legion OOOOH SO MYSTERIOUS crap though, which was utterly unnecessary. Worth reading overall.

UberJumper posted:

I don't even understand what the hell ether of the Dark Eldar were trying to do. Were they working together? On the off chance that the traitors and loyalists would gun each other down? Then they could take all the gems? Or what?

It made no god drat sense.

I think their plan was that while the traitors and loyalists were having their slapfight they'd snatch the soulstones and leg it.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Shazaminator posted:

Scars was pretty great, I thought. Some good characterisation for the White Scars, nicely fleshing them out. There's a bit of Alpha Legion OOOOH SO MYSTERIOUS crap though, which was utterly unnecessary. Worth reading overall.

I am getting sick of the fact that every author now has decided to shoehorn in Alpha Legion in someway in almost every book now.

quote:

I think their plan was that while the traitors and loyalists were having their slapfight they'd snatch the soulstones and leg it.

Why didn't they just use the backdoor that completely bypasses the labyrinth and just steal the gems themselves? :v:

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

UberJumper posted:

Why didn't they just use the backdoor that completely bypasses the labyrinth and just steal the gems themselves? :v:

As soon as someone starts stealing the gems, all the guardians would wake up. They need the the forces to clear out the guardians, and then get busy slap-fighting each other (bonus points if the two primarchs manage to kill each other) and were hoping to swoop in and steal most of the gems.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Anonymous Zebra posted:

As soon as someone starts stealing the gems, all the guardians would wake up. They need the the forces to clear out the guardians, and then get busy slap-fighting each other (bonus points if the two primarchs manage to kill each other) and were hoping to swoop in and steal most of the gems.

How? There are millions of them. If they are just going to teleport away, they don't need to worry about the guardians. If they are not, then loading a starship with all the gems even while the humans fight it out is quite tricky. If they have three Legions on the scene, the odds of having pissed-off xenophobic marines around you, even if they are fighting each other, is very much a certainty. And that's if they don't kill you as soon as they think they're in the home stretch...as Perturabo does.

Did anyone get the new Champions of Chaos fluff book? Anything noteworthy there?

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I just finished reading Salvation's Reach. Kind of bummed there's no more Gaunt's Ghosts stuff out there because S.R. left me wanting more. I guess I could flip through Sabbat Worlds but there's no Ghosts kicking rear end and taking names in that from what I gather.
Has Abnett said anything about concluding the Sabbat Worlds crusade?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There are two Ghosts stories in Sabbat Worlds. Also get Double Eagle, which is great.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

bobthedinosaur posted:

I just finished reading Salvation's Reach. Kind of bummed there's no more Gaunt's Ghosts stuff out there because S.R. left me wanting more. I guess I could flip through Sabbat Worlds but there's no Ghosts kicking rear end and taking names in that from what I gather.
Has Abnett said anything about concluding the Sabbat Worlds crusade?

Its werid because awhile back BL had the release date for the next Gaunts Ghosts (The Warmaster) book to be December 2013, then the book completely disappeared from Black Library's website.

I also finished Aurelian, and it was pretty good.

Lorgar seems to be one of the most powerful primarchs now and was able to defeat Khorne's champion bloodthirster. Yet sanguinus has problems with a regular one.

Also where is nurgle? Tzeenetch, Slannesh, and Khorne are all kind of explained/make an appearance in their own ways. But no mention of Nurgle.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

UberJumper posted:

Its werid because awhile back BL had the release date for the next Gaunts Ghosts (The Warmaster) book to be December 2013, then the book completely disappeared from Black Library's website.

I also finished Aurelian, and it was pretty good.

Lorgar seems to be one of the most powerful primarchs now and was able to defeat Khorne's champion bloodthirster. Yet sanguinus has problems with a regular one.

Also where is nurgle? Tzeenetch, Slannesh, and Khorne are all kind of explained/make an appearance in their own ways. But no mention of Nurgle.

I haven't read it yet, but Nurgle kind of gets the shaft in a lot of 40k writing. There's basically no fluff for Mortarion or the Death Guard outside of Flight of the Eisenstein, and a lot of writers seem to have trouble grasping the jolly fatalism and generally bizarre worldview that Nurgle embodies.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

There are two Ghosts stories in Sabbat Worlds. Also get Double Eagle, which is great.

Good to know!

UberJumper posted:

Yeah, I could have sworn I read here that there had to have been another book due to come out at some point.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

UberJumper posted:

You mean [spoiler]Doombreed or someone else?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Arquinsiel posted:

You mean Doombreed or someone else?

An'ggrath

Daeren posted:

I haven't read it yet, but Nurgle kind of gets the shaft in a lot of 40k writing. There's basically no fluff for Mortarion or the Death Guard outside of Flight of the Eisenstein, and a lot of writers seem to have trouble grasping the jolly fatalism and generally bizarre worldview that Nurgle embodies.

Poor Nurgle.

:(

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

Daeren posted:

Which is really weird cause his shtick and his minions had a lot more spotlight in the comics. About even with the other warp gods. And had a pretty good representation in the Blood Angels story where they go into The Eye to seek out a missing homie.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Nurgle is characterized as the most benevolent and paternal Chaos god, so no one really wants to try and write him. The other 3 have very specific traits that make for great antagonists.

Khorne: Savage anger and violence
Slaneesh: Sexual depravity
Tzeentch: Cunning betrayal and deception

A God of disease and plague that loves welcoming new members into his flock and blesses them with his gifts freely doesn't lend itself to black/white villain morality that well. ADB has really defined how Khorne can seduce people to Chaos, and Abnett did pretty good with Tzeentch and the Thousand Sons. Slaneesh is just the go to evil villain for generic seductive evil demons.

The only good use of Nurgle I ever read was a short story about an inquisitor interviewing a crazy man to ask him about a plague epidemic sweeping a system similar to one survived by said crazy man. It turned out that the crazy man worked side by side with a Space Marine apothecary for months before finally noticing a hidden pustule on the apothecary's ear that signified his descent into Nurgle's worship. That really seem to be a typically Nurgle Chaos marine; a kind, gentle, caring individual who is spreading terrible disease with love and affection for all his "patients".

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Didn't Blood of Asaheim feature the Death Guard or something? Someone here said certain descriptions of them were particularly... squeamish.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I guess the BL authors should go back and read the Nurgle part of Liber Chaotica, it's full of great fluff about how Nurgle is really the god of Despair and how that paradoxically leads to the cheerful demeanour of his followers and daemons.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The interesting point is that ALL the chaos gods have extremely positive aspects - Khorne is the god of honour and martial skill, Tzeentch is the god of knowledge, slaanesh is the god of love, nurgle is the god of hope (from memory). They just corrupt the concepts hugely. Nurgle is just the most obvious about being positive.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Isn't Nurgle the Chaos aspect in Soul Hunter that tells Talos, "Yeah, some dick summoned me, but I'm not going to try and fool you into following me, so...see you later I guess...."

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Isn't Nurgle the Chaos aspect in Soul Hunter that tells Talos, "Yeah, some dick summoned me, but I'm not going to try and fool you into following me, so...see you later I guess...."

Yeah, it's great. Greater Shrug Demon.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I guess the BL authors should go back and read the Nurgle part of Liber Chaotica, it's full of great fluff about how Nurgle is really the god of Despair and how that paradoxically leads to the cheerful demeanour of his followers and daemons.

This may not be the right place for this, but I recently came across this comic about depression that is also literally the best example of Nurgle I've ever seen. It deals pretty frankly with clinical depression, so if that's upsetting to you watch out, but if anyone's interested in Papa it's pretty spot on -- it's a long read, but could absolutely double as the diary of a Nurgle cultist.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2011/10/adventures-in-depression.html

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yeah, but that doesn't make good 40K fiction. You're never going to meet Nurgle himself in a novel and you're rarely going to run into any greater daemons. Plaguebearers just count and kill stuff, and nurglings, while cute, don't really have much character.

Also, the other gods' followers make better antagonists: your Khorne characters run around and go berserk and kill people and are a threat; Slaanesh characters try to seduce and rape people to death; Tzeentch characters are mercurial and will create convoluted plans; while Nurgle characters walk up, give you a hug, and say "Welcome to the family!" While it's funny, it doesn't make for exciting reading for the most part. You can't fight a disease with a chainsword. Being tough as nails in terms of soaking up damage or toxins isn't particularly compelling reading either.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, but that doesn't make good 40K fiction. You're never going to meet Nurgle himself in a novel and you're rarely going to run into any greater daemons. Plaguebearers just count and kill stuff, and nurglings, while cute, don't really have much character.

Also, the other gods' followers make better antagonists: your Khorne characters run around and go berserk and kill people and are a threat; Slaanesh characters try to seduce and rape people to death; Tzeentch characters are mercurial and will create convoluted plans; while Nurgle characters walk up, give you a hug, and say "Welcome to the family!" While it's funny, it doesn't make for exciting reading for the most part. You can't fight a disease with a chainsword. Being tough as nails in terms of soaking up damage or toxins isn't particularly compelling reading either.

They also have that zombie plague, though. And lots of story opportunities regarding mystery illnesses, corruption and panic, secret typhoid marys, quarantines, etc.

ADB did that IG book with nurglites in it and it was pretty good.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

They also have that zombie plague, though. And lots of story opportunities regarding mystery illnesses, corruption and panic, secret typhoid marys, quarantines, etc.

ADB did that IG book with nurglites in it and it was pretty good.

That's true, but you're talking about something that would be more at home with an Inquisitor or Arbites character. It could be interesting in the hands of the right writer, but I think BL is more interested in churning out Space Marine stories since that's what sells. I think someone with talent could make a pretty cool Typhus story though.

Are you talking about Cadian Blood? I don't even remember Nurgleites in that one...

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

berzerkmonkey posted:

That's true, but you're talking about something that would be more at home with an Inquisitor or Arbites character. It could be interesting in the hands of the right writer, but I think BL is more interested in churning out Space Marine stories since that's what sells. I think someone with talent could make a pretty cool Typhus story though.

Are you talking about Cadian Blood? I don't even remember Nurgleites in that one...

The way Kharn, Lucius, and Ahriman have all gotten attention lately, I'd be surprised if Typhus doesn't get a book soon.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
He's a new one.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Arquinsiel posted:

He's a new one.

Nah, he's been around since 2007 at least.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/An%27ggrath#.UrSpmrRisk8

e: Also Doombreed is a Daemon Prince, not a bloodthirster.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 20, 2013

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yes Cadian Blood. The whole plot of the book is Nurgle's zombie plague hitting a holy world and Cadians + Raven Guard fighting Typhus and the Death Guard over some ancient Death Guard ship. The entire plot is IG + Raven Guard fights Death Guard + plague zombies so yeah I'd consider it a Nurgle book.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

Yes Cadian Blood. The whole plot of the book is Nurgle's zombie plague hitting a holy world and Cadians + Raven Guard fighting Typhus and the Death Guard over some ancient Death Guard ship. The entire plot is IG + Raven Guard fights Death Guard + plague zombies so yeah I'd consider it a Nurgle book.

It's been a long time since I read it, but now that you mention it, I do remember plague zombies now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

hopterque posted:

Nah, he's been around since 2007 at least.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/An%27ggrath#.UrSpmrRisk8

e: Also Doombreed is a Daemon Prince, not a bloodthirster.
Ah, he's the forgeworld lad. That makes sense now. I thought Doombreed was a Bloodthirster too, in the same way the Tzeentch Daemon Prince M'Kachan in that book was also a Lord of Change.