Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Joramun posted:

That "Worst Suicide Attempt" does not belong on the list. That was actually one of the greatest TV scenes of the year, if not ever.

I think that's "worst" as in "Oh god it's going to give me nightmares!" not "worst" as in laughable. You might notice that a lot of the AV Club's list wasn't actually low quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Nick Lachey hosting a Sing-Off is like me hosting a Don't-Shitpost-For-An-Hour-Off

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Nick Lachey hosting a Sing-Off is like me hosting a Don't-Shitpost-For-An-Hour-Off

He's pretty inoffensive as a host. At least he's not a judge.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
He's terrible at singing.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

He's terrible at singing.

I know you're not talking smack about 98° are you? :argh:

They were hot, okay?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Re: Tonight's fall finale of Scandal.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

smg77 posted:

He's pretty inoffensive as a host. At least he's not a judge.

I haven't seen the second episode yet but in the first episode Nick kept making fun of Ben Folds' music knowledge, and it came across as the arrogant jerk jock making fun of the music nerd. Like, "haha, let's all laugh about how you're really actually highly qualified to be a judge on this show!" So inoffensive, no. Ben Folds is amazing. :colbert:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

2.0s aren't anywhere vaguely close to cancellation, especially on ABC. Calm down.

It's not that it is getting canceled, it's that it should be.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
With all the other merchandising stuff Disney does, I'm sort of surprised I haven't seen any Once Upon a Time dress-up dolls or Agents of SHIELD merch out there in the public eye.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

DivisionPost posted:

Do not get me started. You think I'm annoying about Person of Interest? At least that show developed an active fan base. Scandal gets like 10 posts a week despite the fact that that suicide attempt wasn't even the most hosed up thing to happen in the show, nor was it the most intense. (Like, no poo poo, we're pretty much expecting lizard men to come into play during season 6.)

It's on Netflix. The first season is okay. You kind of have to push through the first four episodes, and then maybe you'll start picking up on some of the interesting -- not subtle, mind, but interesting -- poo poo they're doing. At the end of the second season premiere, you'll know if this is your bag.

It may be that Scandal's fanbase here is just too small.
I also need to get caught up :( I missed one episode and need to go back and see the others. But I will definitely recommend Scandal to anyone who wants crazy and good television. poo poo gets ridiculous.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
does anyone have more Dads clips that are just awful? There's something so beautiful about just awful poo poo, I can't look away.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

There's one episode of Dads where one of the dudes goes to get a prostate exam, and the doctor dies after putting his finger in his rear end. The rest of the episode is like that scene from There's Something About Mary where everyone is checking out Ben Stiller's cock stuck in his zipper.

I actually legitimately laughed once or twice during it :negative:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

The Duke posted:

There's one episode of Dads where one of the dudes goes to get a prostate exam, and the doctor dies after putting his finger in his rear end. The rest of the episode is like that scene from There's Something About Mary where everyone is checking out Ben Stiller's cock stuck in his zipper.

I actually legitimately laughed once or twice during it :negative:

:stare: holy poo poo this sounds amazing.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
And he's stuck? I'm not quite sure why he'd be stuck, but I'm not going to look into it anymore deeply.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Fringe, even at it's worst, doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as SHIELD. For one thing the acting was of infinitely higher quality, and for another in Fringe the characters managed to be charming even when nothing was happening.

There is nothing even remotely as compelling in SHIELD as the cow in Walter's lab.

Exactly. Its especially eggrigrious to me since I'm going through Fringe season 1 for the first time (latched onto the show in its later seasons). Each episode, each act, has something cool and interesting in it propelling me to finish it. I guess what bothers me about AoS (if anything really bothers me about it) is the expectation that it has for its audience to pay attention when there is literally nothing on the screen worth watching, I guess on branding alone? Its pretty inept TV, run by people who wouldn't know drama if it bit them on the elbow. Like, why does this show exist?

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Think you mean AoSHIELD, not to be confused with some company actually called AOSHIELD. Whatever da fug that is.

drat this forum's affinity for acronyms

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think the music in Fringe is really irritating and too drat loud. I get that they are proud of Michel Giacchino but it just dominates all the time. Does the music need to swell so loudly when Olivia is just reading a newspaper article? I have the same complaint about Hannibal. It's too loving loud.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was a commercial during last night's White Collar for USA's new workplace comedy about EMTs. It looked like it could be kind of funny.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

drat this forum's affinity for acronyms

I think you mean DTFAFA.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I think the music in Fringe is really irritating and too drat loud. I get that they are proud of Michel Giacchino but it just dominates all the time. Does the music need to swell so loudly when Olivia is just reading a newspaper article? I have the same complaint about Hannibal. It's too loving loud.

Yeah, had to mess around with the settings on my TV to lower that poo poo down and emphasize the voice acting, you kinda need every single syllable to actually figure what's happening in that show.

And of course I wasn't talking about Agents of Shield, instead I was talking about the hot new CBS show AOLSHIELD, where a down in his luck programmer tries to find love in the big city during the craaaazy days of the early naught's, while having his professional radon shielding grumpy father/roommate crashing the party. Coming this fall!

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Trailer for House of Cards Season 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFhJjCmYi1M

I like the creepy remix of "Demolition Man" they used for the trailer.

The season airs 02/14. I cannot wait.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Mu Zeta posted:

Interesting observation. I can understand it with Fringe, even though it never took me aback, but there have many times with Hannibal where I felt like I was straining to hear the score and I thought it deserved to be more prominent.

It's very nearly a character of its own.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Whizbang posted:

It's not that it is getting canceled, it's that it should be.

I'm going to say the same thing about Agents of Shield that my dad used to say about the G.I. Joe and Transformers cartoons in the 80's.

It's just a giant advertisement for something else. (cartoons was for their toy lines, here it's for their movies) If it makes any money as a TV show at all, it's pure bonus. It would take some pretty terrible ratings to get cancelled. More likely it's budget will get cut a bit like someone else here said.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

PassTheRemote posted:

Trailer for House of Cards Season 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFhJjCmYi1M

I like the creepy remix of "Demolition Man" they used for the trailer.

The season airs 02/14. I cannot wait.

I rewatched Season 1 while I was home sick this week, and it is some fantastic fuckin' television. And that trailer... gently caress, February 14th can't come soon enough.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought HoC was good but aside from a few very good performances it wasn't anything groundbreaking.

I mean it was meta wise, in the sense that it let Netflix break into the realm of being a legit provider of original content, but I wouldn't put it in the top 10 shows of 2013 or anything.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 13, 2013

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's a little similar to Masters of Sex in that the amazing actors and production value make it look better than it is - especially the writing.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I liked HoC but I have problems watching movies/shows where the protagonist is loving evil :(

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

ufarn posted:

It's a little similar to Masters of Sex in that the amazing actors and production value make it look better than it is - especially the writing.

Yeah I agree (not with your MoS opinion, your HoC one), there was just something about it that I couldn't put my finger on that bored me, even though I could see it was, in theory, a good production. Nothing was wrong with it at all but it failed to hold my attention. I like watching trash and I like watching great TV, HoC was neither for me.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I'm the same. I liked a lot of HoC's ingredients, but it didn't grab me and I just kinda stopped watching about halfway through. I didn't make a decision to stop, I just didn't feel the urge to watch the next episode, and after a few months passed, I just decided it wasn't for me. I think Veep and The Thick of It are more my kind of politics shows.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Junkenstein posted:

I'm the same. I liked a lot of HoC's ingredients, but it didn't grab me and I just kinda stopped watching about halfway through. I didn't make a decision to stop, I just didn't feel the urge to watch the next episode, and after a few months passed, I just decided it wasn't for me. I think Veep and The Thick of It are more my kind of politics shows.

Then you should try Alpha House.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It seemed like kind of a pastiche of a prestige show. It was taking all the ingredients of the popular critical darlings, like attention to cinematography, anti-heroes, moral ambiguity, graphic sex and violence, etc and slammed them all together.

I know it seems like I didn't like the show, I totally did and watched the whole thing at once. I guess I just had such huge expectations that when I wasn't left twitching and writhing on the floor in stunned amazement I ended up being disappointed.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

zoux posted:

It seemed like kind of a pastiche of a prestige show. It was taking all the ingredients of the popular critical darlings, like attention to cinematography, anti-heroes, moral ambiguity, graphic sex and violence, etc and slammed them all together.

I know it seems like I didn't like the show, I totally did and watched the whole thing at once. I guess I just had such huge expectations that when I wasn't left twitching and writhing on the floor in stunned amazement I ended up being disappointed.
It doesn't help that the show is a remade version of one of the best TV shows all time. Makes you wonder what the US version has actually brought to the table.

The whole plotline around Ms Underwood is an easy example of the bad writing and weird change to the original material that comes to mind.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ufarn posted:

It doesn't help that the show is a remade version of one of the best TV shows all time. Makes you wonder what the US version has actually brought to the table.

I honestly just did not care for the original, and I think its status as a sacred cow is suspect.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

DivisionPost posted:

Do not get me started. You think I'm annoying about Person of Interest? At least that show developed an active fan base. Scandal gets like 10 posts a week despite the fact that that suicide attempt wasn't even the most hosed up thing to happen in the show, nor was it the most intense. (Like, no poo poo, we're pretty much expecting lizard men to come into play during season 6.)

It's on Netflix. The first season is okay. You kind of have to push through the first four episodes, and then maybe you'll start picking up on some of the interesting -- not subtle, mind, but interesting -- poo poo they're doing. At the end of the second season premiere, you'll know if this is your bag.

I really like Scandal but I'm the exact opposite of this, I was in completely on the first season from the beginning, then my interest has slowly waned as they've gotten more serial and less episodic. I thought it was going to be a show that I wanted to watch each week this year but instead I've got a 5 or 6 episode backlog on my DVR. This has also happened with Sleepy Hollow, though, so perhaps I'm fatigued by zany event television, but I really liked the show better when it more like Leverage than Grey's Anatomy.

Except for Mellie. I'd watch 45 minutes of the life of Mellie every week no question.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Sophia posted:

I really like Scandal but I'm the exact opposite of this, I was in completely on the first season from the beginning, then my interest has slowly waned as they've gotten more serial and less episodic. I thought it was going to be a show that I wanted to watch each week this year but instead I've got a 5 or 6 episode backlog on my DVR. This has also happened with Sleepy Hollow, though, so perhaps I'm fatigued by zany event television, but I really liked the show better when it more like Leverage than Grey's Anatomy.

Except for Mellie. I'd watch 45 minutes of the life of Mellie every week no question.

As long as your zany event television fatigue doesn't carry over into PLL. :colbert:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Junkenstein posted:

Both shows are pretty intelligent, not about politics per se, but dialogue wise? The loving best there is. gently caress!

So how's the current SNL going? Been liking the last couple of seasons and wondering how its faring with so many people leaving last year.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

So how's the current SNL going? Been liking the last couple of seasons and wondering how its faring with so many people leaving last year.

It's decent so far. The new cast members haven't made much of an impression on me yet, but the older cast members have been carrying the show pretty well. John Goodman is going to be hosting this week's episode, followed by Jimmy Fallon/Justin Timberlake the week after, so there's potential for some good stuff there.

Oh, and speaking of SNL, apparently they've been holding secret auditions for black female cast members. :ssh:

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

xeria posted:

As long as your zany event television fatigue doesn't carry over into PLL. :colbert:

This sounds semi-ridiculous to say but the core characters on PLL (yes even Aria) are the majority of what drives me to watch PLL, and that includes the fact that they did the good Twin Peaks thing / Veronica Mars thing (instead of the bad The Killing thing) and made the dead girl a truly interesting person in her own right. Sure PLL is partially zany event TV but as you and I have talked about I hardly remember anything that's actually happened on the show. They use plot and surprises like necklaces around Aria's neck, hanging just hundreds of them all over the place until it doesn't matter what actually happened, what matters is the effect on the overall pattern of the core friendships and relationships. I could not care less who killed Alison (though it was definitely the entire town of Rosewood in a murder conga line). I just want to watch what the girls do against the events, how they fight the outside world without destroying themselves in the process. Like, someone reminded me the other day about that time Spencer went to the debate club event with Dr. Wren and totally tried to choke someone to death. I had no memory of that at all, but I remember Spencer's forlorn time in the mental institutions like I just watched the episodes yesterday.

While Scandal cares about both the intrigue and the beating of the people against the walls of their own lives, for me it cares too much about making sure we remember the threads of the intrigue and tie them together correctly. It's too much about the story to be interesting without binging. PLL knows better and I will never tire of it as long as it does.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just reading about that suicide attempt scene made me squeamish and I am not a squeamish person.

I mean just thinking about it is making me all :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

precision posted:

Just reading about that suicide attempt scene made me squeamish and I am not a squeamish person.

I mean just thinking about it is making me all :gonk:
Likewise, I was moderately curious but NOPE NOT WATCHING THAT SHOW NOW.

• Locked thread