Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Huntersoninski posted:

Thank you guys, everybody. I do worry too much, I'm just used to my period being like clockwork: every 28 days exactly, exactly seven days long. I knew hormones would mess with that some but three days is the longest deviation I've had in ages. I'll just hang tight. Thanks again for the feedback.

Like I said, I didn't mean anything by it. But it can become a vicious cycle (stress makes your period late, worrying about your late period makes you stress more, and so on and so on). But I remember when I was on the pill I would start the placebos on Sunday and things usually didn't get started until anywhere from Tuesday all the way up to Thursday or Friday. And then sometimes it would just change on me, which always freaked me out too!

Also if you do take a pregnancy test, make sure you follow the directions really closely. If you wait too long to read them, sometimes you can get markings that look like a positive result but are actually just a byproduct of sitting around a long time. Or I guess you could spring for the fancy digital ones. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009
For those of you who've had your paragard removed, did your periods go back to how they were pre-paragard? Or were they permanently heavier/crampier? I'm currently in the middle of a heavy paragard period and thinking back (possibly with rose coloured glasses) to how light and cramp-free my periods were in the 6 months or so between getting off the pill and getting the IUD inserted.

I'm thinking about having it removed in the next couple of months and just going back to condoms. My partner and I are getting married in a couple of months and plan to start a family in the next year, so the 'risk' of only using condoms isn't as bad as it has been at other points in my life. Plus I'd like to give my uterus some time to recover. (I don't know why I feel the need to justify this to the internet, I feel like a naughty teenager being cavalier with their birth control when I've always been so cautious).

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

Moto Punch posted:

For those of you who've had your paragard removed, did your periods go back to how they were pre-paragard? Or were they permanently heavier/crampier? I'm currently in the middle of a heavy paragard period and thinking back (possibly with rose coloured glasses) to how light and cramp-free my periods were in the 6 months or so between getting off the pill and getting the IUD inserted.

Everything went back to normal by my next cycle on removal of my Paragard (which I accidentally yanked during that month's period). Since it doesn't alter your hormones, it makes sense that removing the IUD would be a near-instant change.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

fine-tune posted:

Everything went back to normal by my next cycle on removal of my Paragard (which I accidentally yanked during that month's period). Since it doesn't alter your hormones, it makes sense that removing the IUD would be a near-instant change.

I don't know how true it is, but I've heard that a lot of the seemingly heavy periods with Paragard is actually extra fluid/mucus or whatever mixed in as the body's response to having a foreign object in there. Which seems about right based on my own experience. So once it's gone presumably the response would go away with it. But like I said could be wrong, I did get it off the internet after all.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

samizdat posted:

Anyway, I've been on Norinyl 1+35 for almost a month and my period was like clockwork. Hoping it stays this way.

Well, now I have a yeast infection (an interesting new experience) and my doctor thinks it's because I switched between birth control pills with different hormone levels. Kind of weird.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

samizdat posted:

Well, now I have a yeast infection (an interesting new experience) and my doctor thinks it's because I switched between birth control pills with different hormone levels. Kind of weird.

I used to get yeast infections at least a couple times a year when I was on the pill, but I haven't had a single one since I switched to Implanon 2 years ago. Could be coincidence, but regardless I'm grateful. Yeast infections suck. You have my sympathies.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Silver Falcon posted:

I used to get yeast infections at least a couple times a year when I was on the pill, but I haven't had a single one since I switched to Implanon 2 years ago. Could be coincidence, but regardless I'm grateful. Yeast infections suck. You have my sympathies.

Same here. I used to get yeast infections all the time on the pill if the slightest thing was "off" (like having sex, changing soaps, lube, etc.). Once I switched to Paragard I've never had a problem with them since.

Birth control pills are actually considered one of the possible causes when I did a lot of research about what the problem could be.

Bacteriophage
May 2, 2005
CELLUAR LYSIS!
So tomorrow is the T-day and I'm getting a Mirena shoved in my uterus (!) yay.

While psyching myself out and reading past posts, I didn't really see anyone mention this so thought I'd warn some ladies reading this in the future - cytotec, when taken orally, can give you nasty diarrhea :(

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Haha :D

Hope everything goes well!

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I'm really impressed(?) with how many women in this thread have tried Implanon/Nexplanon! Only a couple of my friends have even heard of it. I got mine four and a half days ago, and so far so good. Can I ask, how long were your insertion spot/bruises sore for? Is it going to always be something you don't really want to touch or put pressure on, or does all pain/discomfort go away once the wound itself has healed (like a healed piercing)?

I've also had zero spotting so far. Good sign? Or is that normal, and bloodocalypse might be around the corner? I'm just WISHING SO HARD that I'm one of the lucky few whose periods simply stop. I don't get periods when off the pill (PCOS diagnosis at 15 was the implied reason), but I don't trust that for preventing babies, obviously. But boy was it nice.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I got my first one almost six years ago and I haven't shut up about it since, so I think that might have brought people in -- I hope so! I want it to be on the market forever.

My first one was put in perfectly. It was only sore for as long as it took the site to heal, maybe a couple days or a week.

My second one was very shallow. It hurt even when I rolled over or poked it, for probably a few months. I had been planning to have it redone when it settled in, moved a little deeper, and stopped being such a pain. It still hurts if I lean on my arm in certain weird ways, though. But this is not normal -- my second installer did a bad job and I probably should've had it redone.

Did you keep the ace bandage on afterward? I felt way better when I had it on. I think it might help it heal faster, too.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Anne Whateley posted:

Did you keep the ace bandage on afterward? I felt way better when I had it on. I think it might help it heal faster, too.
I didn't have an ace bandage, just a little piece of medical tape over the insertion site (told to keep on for one week), and a bunch of gauze taped tightly to it (told to keep on for 24 hours). The pressure bandage is off, but I still have the sad little piece of tape there... 4 days of showers and long sleeve shirts has done a number on the adhesive, we'll see if it makes it to day 7. It didn't bruise too bad. Just the length of the rod, and maybe a half inch wide, which tells me it's healing fine.

Maybe I'll buy an ace bandage to wear at night, since I'm less aware of what I do with my arms and have woken myself up in pain from laying on it funny.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.
Mine stopped hurting once the insertion site healed. Now I push it to make it stick out and make friend feel it and it freaks them out. I sometimes have to touch it to remind myself it's still there, I don't even notice it.

I was considering Paragard because my years are almost up but I have decided I can live with the irregular periods and my mood swings have evened out (even though it took loving forever), so I'm sticking with the implant. I love mine.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah, everyone wants to touch it. Not just gynecologists and their nurses, but like I'll go in for a blood draw, and I'll ask them to do my other arm because of the Implanon, and their eyes light up. Or I went to a clinic for strep throat, they asked if I was on any meds, and the doctor grilled me about it and "so uh..."ed his way into feeling it. It is pretty cool to touch.

I'm surprised they didn't give you an ace bandage -- definitely get one. For both of mine, they had me wear it pretty tightly the day of the procedure and the day after (skipping a shower was the hardest part of the insertion). For the second one, to encourage it to go deeper and to prevent my breasts from brushing against it and hurting, I kept it on more loosely for about a week, and then when I slept for a few more weeks, I think. It definitely made a difference.

Bacteriophage
May 2, 2005
CELLUAR LYSIS!
~Trip report~

So got the Mirena a couple of hours ago and I'm still crampy as hell but it wasn't as bad as I made it out to be in my head. First off I love my OBGYN and everyone there - the nurse could tell I was freaking out and just sat down with me and talked to me about her insertion and how it's not as bad as I think it will be and my doc was pretty chill and walked me through everything she was doing. My doc did have a minor issue with getting my uterus dilated enough to shove that sucker in, but all in all the insertion took like 5 minutes tops. A little gross tidbit - I bled pretty heavy afterwards and shed a pretty large chunk of lining, ugh. My ladyparts are still very angry and this is probably the heaviest period I've had since I've been on the pill so I'm hoping it'll subside soon.

The insertion hurt like hell though, I'm not going to lie. It was the most bizarre pain I've ever had - I think someone previously in the thread described it as "making GBS threads out your insides" and I can't think of a more apt way to describe it. The dumb cramps come post insertion, but man it hurt getting that sucker put in. I did the cytotec route and totally forgot about the ibuprofen and ended up taking it 10 minutes before my appointment so maybe taking it a little sooner might have made a difference.

Either way yaayy it's over and I don't have to take my dumb pills for the next five years.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Bacteriophage posted:

Either way yaayy it's over and I don't have to take my dumb pills for the next five years.

:):respek::)

But, seriously, when I was getting mine in, I thought I was going to poo on the gyno. Something she was doing up in there made be totally feel like I was about to lose control of my bowel.

Zvezda
Dec 12, 2009

drat Bananas posted:

I'm really impressed(?) with how many women in this thread have tried Implanon/Nexplanon! Only a couple of my friends have even heard of it. I got mine four and a half days ago, and so far so good. Can I ask, how long were your insertion spot/bruises sore for? Is it going to always be something you don't really want to touch or put pressure on, or does all pain/discomfort go away once the wound itself has healed (like a healed piercing)?

I've also had zero spotting so far. Good sign? Or is that normal, and bloodocalypse might be around the corner? I'm just WISHING SO HARD that I'm one of the lucky few whose periods simply stop. I don't get periods when off the pill (PCOS diagnosis at 15 was the implied reason), but I don't trust that for preventing babies, obviously. But boy was it nice.

I had a big bruise for a while but I don't remember having any discomfort beyond being more aware of my arm and regular bruise pain. It just looked super grody. 8 months on, there's no pain or anything - it may as well not be there. I can touch it, of course, and make it poke up like a tiny chestburster, but day to day, I don't feel it at all and can put pressure on with no discomfort.

Since I got it, I haven't had any real periods - just occasional light spotting and one weird month where I got cramps and big clots for a few days (no regular flow, just clots when I went to the loo), and then the same again a couple of weeks later. :cry:

Buut, that was 2 months ago and not even spotting since :haw:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Geolicious posted:

:):respek::)

But, seriously, when I was getting mine in, I thought I was going to poo on the gyno. Something she was doing up in there made be totally feel like I was about to lose control of my bowel.

Wow, I must not have a very sensitive cervix or something because it just felt like a big menstrual cramp to me. Like enough to kind of make me gasp and flinch but definitely not "making GBS threads out my insides."

Either way, congrats on joining the IUD club! I love having birth control that I really don't have to think about at all.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
LARCs are the Showtime Rotisserie of the BC world: Set It and Forget It!

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

drat Bananas posted:

I got mine back in July. My insertion was uneventful. It was sore for the first day or so, but after that I don't even remember that it's there.

I was on my period when I got it, and my period ended on its usual day, then I didn't get any bleeding for over two months. Unfortunately, starting in September, I've started bleeding every other week, ranging from some light spotting for a day or two, to a full-on murderpants period that lasts a week or more (and starts the day of your close friend's wedding that you're a bridesmaid in :gonk:) Because of the periods, I've gained about 5 pounds of water weight that I can't seem to get rid of.

My 6 month mark is coming up and I really, really hope things start to settle down. My migraines have almost completely disappeared thanks to it and I really want it to work out. :(

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.
Have had my Mirena for a few weeks. Despite the terrible insertion I absolutely love it! Couple questions, though. Has anyone had issues with cramping after jogging/running? It hasn't been an issue with me for sex, but I notice I get some cramps after working out. When will this get better? Should I bring it up with my doctor?

I'm still getting some spotting every day, but I know that may happen for awhile.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Shed posted:

Have had my Mirena for a few weeks. Despite the terrible insertion I absolutely love it! Couple questions, though. Has anyone had issues with cramping after jogging/running? It hasn't been an issue with me for sex, but I notice I get some cramps after working out. When will this get better? Should I bring it up with my doctor?

I'm still getting some spotting every day, but I know that may happen for awhile.

I have a Paragard, but I also used to get some cramping after moving around a lot. I've noticed the random cramps got better and less frequent after a month or two. I can't remember exactly when so I can't give you a definite figure, but if you're only a few weeks out then things are still kind of in that "settling in" period. I don't think it's anything to worry about (in my non-expert opinion) but it never hurts to talk to your doctor about concerns you have.

I don't know if it's the same for Mirena, but even almost a year out it kind of comes and goes. Like some months I forget the IUD is in there and others I'll have cramps out of the blue all month long for no apparent reason. It's kind of weird but I can deal.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Sometimes, there's a clog in the pipelines.

pastor of muppets posted:

I got mine back in July. My insertion was uneventful. It was sore for the first day or so, but after that I don't even remember that it's there.

I was on my period when I got it, and my period ended on its usual day, then I didn't get any bleeding for over two months. Unfortunately, starting in September, I've started bleeding every other week, ranging from some light spotting for a day or two, to a full-on murderpants period that lasts a week or more (and starts the day of your close friend's wedding that you're a bridesmaid in :gonk:) Because of the periods, I've gained about 5 pounds of water weight that I can't seem to get rid of.

My 6 month mark is coming up and I really, really hope things start to settle down. My migraines have almost completely disappeared thanks to it and I really want it to work out. :(

I'd talk to the dr. who inserted it and see if they will help get things regulated with estrogen or another bc pill. Good luck, I had issues too. :(

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Migraine Update: Went off of birth control after 10+ years in September due to an increase in migraines, and ended up having both an increase in the severity and frequency. I was put on an evening dose of Gabapentin to help reign it in. I’m happy to report that I no longer get migraines, and the few headaches I do get are the kind I used to have years ago and are easily dealt with.

With the migraine issue sorted, the next biggest issue was anxiety. The fact that I have no idea when my period is going to be, ‘just’ relying on condoms became such a huge source of anxiety that I was losing my ability to want and enjoy sex. I was still getting aroused and could orgasm don’t get me wrong, I just couldn’t mentally be into it the way I used to because the fear of getting pregnant was always in the back of my mind. After two months was taking a huge emotional toll on me.

I decided that I wanted something permanent, so that no matter what I need to do with hormones/migraines in the future, I will always have a backup. Some of you may remember my posts earlier in the thread asking about Essure; after talking to my doctor more I decided that it’d be too much of a risk for me to take as if my nickel allergy made it really bad, the only way they could take them out is by removing the tubes ‘and’ the uterus. I asked about getting my tubes tied to which my OB-GYN said sure. Maybe it’s because I brought my husband along or that I’m 28 in a college town, but there were no questions of if I’ll change my mind, if I’m ‘sure’, have I considered IUDs, or even asking my husband why he isn’t getting snipped. It was a really nice and respectful chat.

Pre-op appointments were set individually for my doctor and another for the hospital.

Previously one of the nurses at the office said my doctor likes to “clip, snip, and burn” to make sure nothing comes undone. During the pre-op appointment with him I asked what method he'll be using and he said he doesn’t do clips anymore as they have a “habit of falling off.” While clips cause less trauma to the tube, that shouldn’t be a deciding factor unless you want a reversal, for which you shouldn’t be doing this in the first place. He instead burns a large portion of the tube shut, so I asked if could just take the tubes out completely and he said sure. So long as there weren’t any major blood vessels too close, he’d leave only nubs of the tubes left on the uterus and remove everything else. Recovery time was estimated at 5-7 days, and he gave me a prescription for an anti-nausea/Scopolamine patch to wear the night before the surgery since the last time I woke up from general anesthesia or had any opioid pain killer I couldn't stop vomiting.

Pre-op appointment at the hospital was basically chatting with the hospital nurse and pharmacist about what to do the night before, covering what medication I'm taking, allergies, etc. The pharmacist told me I couldn't take my morning dose of Adderall and while I whined a bit (it's for narcolepsy) she said no as it's a stimulant and could cause issue for the anesthesiologist. The nurse gave me a bottle of some antimicrobial soap to wash with the morning of the operation, and after I said without the Adderall a shower is impossible, she said it would be ok to use the night before. The soap label says Hibiclens (Chlorhexidine Gluconate solution 4.0% w/v) and is a really bright pink. Despite the directions printed the nurse said not under any conditions am I to bathe with it - only use it in the shower and only have it on your skin for 2-5 minutes. The nurse was also pleased with my doctor for being modern and sensible. Apparently one or more of the other OBGYNs require their patients to douche(!) the night before which is pretty horrible.

I had the operation on Dec. 13th as an early Christmas gift for myself. If I include my operation trip report (with pictures) this post would be epic, so I’ll continue with my salpingectomy adventure in a separate post.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Thanks for posting this! I have trouble with hormonal migraines and never want any kids so I'd really love to get something permanent when I can afford it (plus my roommate just got pregnant so anxiety is higher now). Your post makes me feel a little more hopeful since I'm almost 28 and kind of assumed most doctors would still write me off.

How's the recovery been? Every time I bring it up people talk about the surgery like it's the worst thing ever or something.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Salpingectomy Trip Report

Stuff to bring to the hospital:
- baggy pants with a mildly (not strong) elastic waistband, no joke my waist went from 29” in the morning to 33” in the afternoon
- baggy shirt/hoodie, preferably zip-up
- slip-on shoes
- granny panties with panty liner (bleeding for me was like a light period and lasted 2-3 days, depending on when in your cycle this is done it can be up to a full period)
- a list of all medications and supplements you are currently on/taking
- a list of any allergies that you are aware of
- a ride home

My operation was scheduled at 8am, so I had to be the hospital by 6am. I had a weird reaction to the Scopolamine patch (racing heart rate) so I went in without it feeling pretty nervous about nausea and explained as much to the anesthesiologist when he dropped by. He seemed a little peeved that I Googled side-effects of the patch, despite my explaining that I used to teach the lab portions of human anatomy and physiology at the local university, and that I didn’t research it until *after* I had the reaction, and that the increased heart rate made sense considering it’s like atropine as an acetylcholine antagonist…but I’m getting off topic. Without the morning Adderall I wasn’t as articulate as I’d like to have been and could barely keep my eyes open during the conversation. He probably still thinks I’m a weirdo, whatever.

Anyway, he jotted down that I get horribly nauseous and previously experienced post-operative urine retention on his clip board and then asked me to open my mouth so he could get an idea of how easy a tracheal tube would be to put in. You’re probably thinking this is overkill, but honestly if he hadn’t followed up with that I would’ve asked him myself. You want your anesthesiologist to do endotracheal intubation for the same reason we wear a seat belt every time we get in a car.

The pharmacist from my pre-op appointment either forgot to enter my medications into the computer or forgot to hit save, either way she left that portion of my medical profile as blank so I had to repeat it all to the nurse and again to the anesthesiologist as he was given the old printout. This brings me to an important thing to do: write all of your medications/allergies down on a list in case this happens for like, any surgery ever.

The nurse put my IV in on the outer part of my forearm, which is actually really awesome cause it’s not on a place that bends (elbow) and isn’t as sensitive as the back of the hand. They had me wear a gown that had ports where a hose attached and blew in hot air to keep me warm (loving awesome), and put a “sequential compressive device” on each leg to promote blood flow both during the surgery and the few hours I’d be in post-op. The compressive device looks horrible but it’s actually really comfortable and the slow squeezing felt like a light massage.

The operation itself was about 30 minutes. Because he was going in and removing the tubes, rather than just burning/snipping/clipping, he had to make three incisions rather than the usual two. The usual two are on the midline of the abdomen (linea alba) with one in the belly button and the other on the mound (not pictured). The third incision was for the tissue being removed.

A fun illustrated protocol of laparoscopy technique for women’s pelvic surgery is found here which while quite clinical, explains everything and I totally geeked out with it.

Did I mention it’s illustrated?

I also brought my own pictures cause my doctor’s awesome and let me have copies:

Before:

After (white things are ovaries):

Apparently my left tube was twisted quite a bit:

I presume this and the adhesions in the before pic are from a huge ovarian cyst/mass I had on my left back in 2004.

Post-op Recovery:

I had the operation on a Thursday and was expecting to go back to work on Tuesday, however that was me being overly optimistic on when end of the 5-7 day recovery scale I’d land on. Despite the anesthesiologist being great (minimal nausea waking up, could piss on the first try, felt good and had a healthy appetite) the pain medication I was sent home with required additional anti-nausea medication called Zofran. I could only manage one hydrocodone per one Zofran, and I was told only one Zofran every six hours which was manageable except for the one time I overdid my physical activity and tried to take two hydrocodone to compensate – didn’t throw up, but felt loving ill the rest of the night. By day 4 or 5 I was taking half doses for a total of 2 pills a day. By day 9 I didn’t need any.

The shoulder pain is no joke. It’s not something the pain killers ever touched and unfortunately, because it’s referred pain from the diaphragm, stretching won’t help. The only way to get the shoulder pain to go away is to lay down or recline, and it will take a day or two for the gas itself to be reabsorbed. Think of it like this: your abdominal cavity has been filled with carbon dioxide gas and while the doctor and nurses do their best to remove as much as possible, any left inside will rise to the top like an air bubble in a snow globe. When you sit up, that ‘top’ of your abdominal cavity is the diaphragm, and one of the important nerves dictating breathing innervates it from all the way up in the brain. Along that path it passes by the shoulder where you actually ‘feel’ the pain that is originating from the diaphragm itself.

No showering for 48 hours, no baths until steristrips(?) fell off on their own. This was fine by me as I couldn’t stand/sit up for more than 5 minutes without shoulder pain for ~36 hours, and I was too busy playing Mass Effect and watching Netflix to bother with a shower for another day after that.

We’ve got two cats and to help keep them off me when sleeping I used one of those breakfast-in-bed trays for the first week. This worked really well as they’d take turns laying on the tray and got to be close to me without actually jumping on/running across/kneeding my tender guts.

The transverse and belly button incisions are about 1-1.5cm long, and the one on my mound is about 2cm across and I already have a hard time seeing it with trimmed pubic hair grown in (they shaved me in the operating room and gave me a reverse landing strip). There are no external stitches, only internal which will gradually dissolve over the next few months.

So far the side incision has taken the longest to heal as despite avoiding the external and internal obliques, he still had to cut through the transverse muscle beneath it. Part of it too is because the location is right smack where all but one of my pants’ waistbands sit. Putting a bandaid over the scab helps keep the pressure off the internal stitches there as despite being internal, rubbing the skin directly above it is still irritating. I honestly thought the slowest to heal would be the belly button one because of the skin creasing/puckering but it’s actually doing really well.

Sex has been awesome and incredibly freeing. I waited till day 9, longer than I probably needed to before trying but I was told to not do it until I felt comfortable. Now it feels way more than comfortable :smug:

Zantie fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 1, 2014

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Kimmalah posted:

Thanks for posting this! I have trouble with hormonal migraines and never want any kids so I'd really love to get something permanent when I can afford it (plus my roommate just got pregnant so anxiety is higher now). Your post makes me feel a little more hopeful since I'm almost 28 and kind of assumed most doctors would still write me off.

How's the recovery been? Every time I bring it up people talk about the surgery like it's the worst thing ever or something.

Recovery has been pretty good! It's gone miles better than my last operation back in 2002 even though that one was less intense and I had to stay overnight cause I couldn't loving pee and needed a catheter. I think a lot of the improvement has to do with the fact that finding out how poorly I react to opioids meant I got anti-nausea medication right off the bat, and with the anesthesiologist listening to my concerns about peeing and acting accordingly. It may be tricky if you haven't gone under general anesthesia before, and if you're really adverse to the idea it couldn't hurt to ask your doctor what they think about doing it with an epidural block instead.

Before going off hormonal birth control I was really adverse to the idea of general anesthesia because I felt like the incredibly small risk of dying under it for something so elective wasn't worth it. What I didn't realize was how incredibly important fearless sex is to my quality of life. I literally told my husband if I died he wasn't allowed to feel guilty because I wouldn't want to live the rest of my life stressed out like that.

For women our age and with a tracheal tube the risk of death due to general anesthesia is incredibly small. Much like a fear of flying the risk is less than it is getting in a car every day, but a lot of people see it differently because they're not in the driver's seat, so to speak. gently caress, I'm pretty sure the risk of death is less than it is for being pregnant/giving birth though obviously if I'm wrong somebody correct me.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Zantie posted:

We’ve got two cats and to help keep them off me when sleeping I used one of those breakfast-in-bed trays for the first week. This worked really well as they’d take turns laying on the tray and got to be close to me without actually jumping on/running across/kneeding my tender guts.

This is a totally cute and smart idea.

Thanks for the detailed write up!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Zantie posted:

Recovery has been pretty good! It's gone miles better than my last operation back in 2002 even though that one was less intense and I had to stay overnight cause I couldn't loving pee and needed a catheter. I think a lot of the improvement has to do with the fact that finding out how poorly I react to opioids meant I got anti-nausea medication right off the bat, and with the anesthesiologist listening to my concerns about peeing and acting accordingly. It may be tricky if you haven't gone under general anesthesia before, and if you're really adverse to the idea it couldn't hurt to ask your doctor what they think about doing it with an epidural block instead.

Before going off hormonal birth control I was really adverse to the idea of general anesthesia because I felt like the incredibly small risk of dying under it for something so elective wasn't worth it. What I didn't realize was how incredibly important fearless sex is to my quality of life. I literally told my husband if I died he wasn't allowed to feel guilty because I wouldn't want to live the rest of my life stressed out like that.

For women our age and with a tracheal tube the risk of death due to general anesthesia is incredibly small. Much like a fear of flying the risk is less than it is getting in a car every day, but a lot of people see it differently because they're not in the driver's seat, so to speak. gently caress, I'm pretty sure the risk of death is less than it is for being pregnant/giving birth though obviously if I'm wrong somebody correct me.

Nice write up! The pictures were pretty cool.

I don't really have experience with full-on general anesthesia but I have had a heart cath/ablation under "twilight sleep" (along with a few other smaller procedures), so I've already kind of gotten over any major fear of medical procedures. Glad to hear your recovery is going well! I've gotten bad reactions from people about it before because it's more invasive than a vasectomy, but I'd feel most comfortable if I was the sterile one no matter who I'm with. :v:

In any case, I've got some time for however long my IUD hangs around but it's good to have such a thorough look into what the whole process entails.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Zantie posted:

Salpingectomy Trip Report

Stuff to bring to the hospital:
- baggy pants with a mildly (not strong) elastic waistband, no joke my waist went from 29” in the morning to 33” in the afternoon
- baggy shirt/hoodie, preferably zip-up
- slip-on shoes
- granny panties with panty liner (bleeding for me was like a light period and lasted 2-3 days, depending on when in your cycle this is done it can be up to a full period)
- a list of all medications and supplements you are currently on/taking
- a list of any allergies that you are aware of
- a ride home

My operation was scheduled at 8am, so I had to be the hospital by 6am. I had a weird reaction to the Scopolamine patch (racing heart rate) so I went in without it feeling pretty nervous about nausea and explained as much to the anesthesiologist when he dropped by. He seemed a little peeved that I Googled side-effects of the patch, despite my explaining that I used to teach the lab portions of human anatomy and physiology at the local university, and that I didn’t research it until *after* I had the reaction, and that the increased heart rate made sense considering it’s like atropine as an acetylcholine antagonist…but I’m getting off topic. Without the morning Adderall I wasn’t as articulate as I’d like to have been and could barely keep my eyes open during the conversation. He probably still thinks I’m a weirdo, whatever.

Anyway, he jotted down that I get horribly nauseous and previously experienced post-operative urine retention on his clip board and then asked me to open my mouth so he could get an idea of how easy a tracheal tube would be to put in. You’re probably thinking this is overkill, but honestly if he hadn’t followed up with that I would’ve asked him myself. You want your anesthesiologist to do endotracheal intubation for the same reason we wear a seat belt every time we get in a car.

The pharmacist from my pre-op appointment either forgot to enter my medications into the computer or forgot to hit save, either way she left that portion of my medical profile as blank so I had to repeat it all to the nurse and again to the anesthesiologist as he was given the old printout. This brings me to an important thing to do: write all of your medications/allergies down on a list in case this happens for like, any surgery ever.

The nurse put my IV in on the outer part of my forearm, which is actually really awesome cause it’s not on a place that bends (elbow) and isn’t as sensitive as the back of the hand. They had me wear a gown that had ports where a hose attached and blew in hot air to keep me warm (loving awesome), and put a “sequential compressive device” on each leg to promote blood flow both during the surgery and the few hours I’d be in post-op. The compressive device looks horrible but it’s actually really comfortable and the slow squeezing felt like a light massage.

The operation itself was about 30 minutes. Because he was going in and removing the tubes, rather than just burning/snipping/clipping, he had to make three incisions rather than the usual two. The usual two are on the midline of the abdomen (linea alba) with one in the belly button and the other on the mound (not pictured). The third incision was for the tissue being removed.

A fun illustrated protocol of laparoscopy technique for women’s pelvic surgery is found here which while quite clinical, explains everything and I totally geeked out with it.

Did I mention it’s illustrated?

I also brought my own pictures cause my doctor’s awesome and let me have copies:

Before:

After (white things are ovaries):

Apparently my left tube was twisted quite a bit:

I presume this and the adhesions in the before pic are from a huge ovarian cyst/mass I had on my left back in 2004.

Post-op Recovery:

I had the operation on a Thursday and was expecting to go back to work on Tuesday, however that was me being overly optimistic on when end of the 5-7 day recovery scale I’d land on. Despite the anesthesiologist being great (minimal nausea waking up, could piss on the first try, felt good and had a healthy appetite) the pain medication I was sent home with required additional anti-nausea medication called Zofran. I could only manage one hydrocodone per one Zofran, and I was told only one Zofran every six hours which was manageable except for the one time I overdid my physical activity and tried to take two hydrocodone to compensate – didn’t throw up, but felt loving ill the rest of the night. By day 4 or 5 I was taking half doses for a total of 2 pills a day. By day 9 I didn’t need any.

The shoulder pain is no joke. It’s not something the pain killers ever touched and unfortunately, because it’s referred pain from the diaphragm, stretching won’t help. The only way to get the shoulder pain to go away is to lay down or recline, and it will take a day or two for the gas itself to be reabsorbed. Think of it like this: your abdominal cavity has been filled with carbon dioxide gas and while the doctor and nurses do their best to remove as much as possible, any left inside will rise to the top like an air bubble in a snow globe. When you sit up, that ‘top’ of your abdominal cavity is the diaphragm, and one of the important nerves dictating breathing innervates it from all the way up in the brain. Along that path it passes by the shoulder where you actually ‘feel’ the pain that is originating from the diaphragm itself.

No showering for 48 hours, no baths until steristrips(?) fell off on their own. This was fine by me as I couldn’t stand/sit up for more than 5 minutes without shoulder pain for ~36 hours, and I was too busy playing Mass Effect and watching Netflix to bother with a shower for another day after that.

The transverse and belly button incisions are about 1-1.5cm long, and the one on my mound is about 2cm across and I already have a hard time seeing it with trimmed pubic hair grown in (they shaved me in the operating room and gave me a reverse landing strip). There are no external stitches, only internal which will gradually dissolve over the next few months.

So far the side incision has taken the longest to heal as despite avoiding the external and internal obliques, he still had to cut through the transverse muscle beneath it. Part of it too is because the location is right smack where all but one of my pants’ waistbands sit. Putting a bandaid over the scab helps keep the pressure off the internal stitches there as despite being internal, rubbing the skin directly above it is still irritating. I honestly thought the slowest to heal would be the belly button one because of the skin creasing/puckering but it’s actually doing really well.

Sex has been awesome and incredibly freeing. I waited till day 9, longer than I probably needed to before trying but I was told to not do it until I felt comfortable. Now it feels way more than comfortable :smug:

Out of curiosity, what kind of medical training do you have?

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Technically? None. I didn't get into medical school and ended up getting a master's degree in zoology. The passion is still there, and if someday medical school doesn't require 80+ hours a week and massive loans I might try for it again.

Bacteriophage
May 2, 2005
CELLUAR LYSIS!
Uggghhh

Since getting my Mirena almost 2 weeks ago and being off combined birth control pills I'm pretty sure that my boobs are shrinking noooo :( :(

I mean I know this is a pretty common thing and all, I just didn't think it'd happen so soon boo. This happen to anyone else?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Bacteriophage posted:

Uggghhh

Since getting my Mirena almost 2 weeks ago and being off combined birth control pills I'm pretty sure that my boobs are shrinking noooo :( :(

I mean I know this is a pretty common thing and all, I just didn't think it'd happen so soon boo. This happen to anyone else?

My boobs never got bigger or smaller really, just kind of changed shape. Once I got off the pill I swear they got a little perkier. :v: Maybe it'll just take a little time? It's only been two weeks so the Mirena hasn't had a lot of time to "settle" and I'd imagine a lot of that is probably fluid-related weirdness rather than you losing actual breast tissue or anything.

Menschsein
Sep 15, 2007

Ne carne ne pesce

Bacteriophage posted:

Uggghhh

Think of it more as a bonus weightloss!

I was somewhat disappointed after I had spent effort and money on getting The Perfect Bra. And then I got Mirena and the bra was suddenly too large. But no fear! At least my cycle is still working underneath, so about a week before my period, my breasts grow and I can wear The Perfect Bra.

So maybe it's not so much that your boobs have shrunk, they were just artificially bigger all the time. That also might mean that your weight was at a higher point on the coc's too.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
Got my Mirena out and the Paragard in immediately after. Forgot to ask my OBGYN - what's my protection like? I haven't had a period since the month after the Mirena insertion in July but spotted a little on the first day with the Paragard.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Got my Mirena out and the Paragard in immediately after. Forgot to ask my OBGYN - what's my protection like? I haven't had a period since the month after the Mirena insertion in July but spotted a little on the first day with the Paragard.

You should be protected immediately after Paragard is inserted since there aren't any hormones that need to be given time to kick in or anything. Same reason it's also used as emergency contraceptive sometimes.

I had some bleeding for about a week after insertion, but then I was switching from the pill and technically on my placebo week at the time.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
Cool, thank ya. I bled for a straight month with the Mirena but I'm on day two of the Paragard and didn't even spot, just cramps. Here's hoping I stop going bald!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Cool, thank ya. I bled for a straight month with the Mirena but I'm on day two of the Paragard and didn't even spot, just cramps. Here's hoping I stop going bald!

Yeah I mean I'm not an expert, but that's how I understand it.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.

samizdat posted:

Has anyone ever had weirdness with low-dose combination pills? I took different generics of Loestrin Fe 1/20 for a year and it really sucked. My period was unpredictable, sometimes it simply wouldn't happen, sometimes I'd spot for a day the week before my inactive pills, and there was never any real rhythm to it. Plus, it made me have weird acne. Instead of the usual few white heads before my period, it didn't follow much of a schedule and was almost kind of cystic.

I complained to my gynecologist about it at my annual and she said sometimes the lower of the low dose pills can be kind of wonky, and that sometimes a mildly higher dose can fix it. I personally don't care about the hormone level, I liked regular dose stuff like Ortho-Cyclen but it seems providers favor the lower doses because they seem to have less side effects.

Anyway, I've been on Norinyl 1+35 for almost a month and my period was like clockwork. Hoping it stays this way.

Yes. I took Lo LoEstrin for about six months, and I hated it. Most months I had what was either breakthrough bleeding or a full period in the middle of the cycle, and some months I spotted all month long. My doctor put me on Ortho Tricyclen a couple of months ago and my periods are totally normal like clockwork, every 28 days. It's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Is mononessa a low dose? Because I am also experiencing odd periods, but it's only been a couple months and I am hoping it's just an adjustment period til my body gets sorted out.

• Locked thread