Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woden
May 6, 2006
Time to finally pick up druid I guess. 15/3/2 PDK monk/druid/fighter could be alright, think I read that in wolf form you can still get the cha bonus to tactics to work but not sure if that means QP yet.

Also more sale stuff:

quote:

Dec. 6th – Dec. 8th
30% off Augments, Colossal and Gargantuan Augment Bags
25% off Shared Banks
25% off Platinum Vaults
Dec. 13th – Dec. 15th
Coming soon. . .
Dec. 20th – Dec. 22nd
Coming soon. . .
Dec. 24th – Dec. 29th
Coming soon. . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Hey, I'm just getting back into the game and I have a couple questions:

1. I tried to get into the userchat, but when I typed in the info it said I'm the only one in the userchat, are you guys just not active or is something up?
2. I want to make a warforged paladin, but I'm also lazy and just want to use one of the prebuilt paths. This doesn't let me worship Lord of the Blades though, so will the free feat reset mess up the whole following the path thing? Also should I really give that much of a poo poo that I can't cast spells because of low wisdom? Paladin never really seemed to matter that much on this end to me.

Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Let's drink until we can't feel anymore!

Captain Pissweak posted:

Hey, I'm just getting back into the game and I have a couple questions:

1. I tried to get into the userchat, but when I typed in the info it said I'm the only one in the userchat, are you guys just not active or is something up?
2. I want to make a warforged paladin, but I'm also lazy and just want to use one of the prebuilt paths. This doesn't let me worship Lord of the Blades though, so will the free feat reset mess up the whole following the path thing? Also should I really give that much of a poo poo that I can't cast spells because of low wisdom? Paladin never really seemed to matter that much on this end to me.

1. There probably just isn't anyone on right now. I'm staying away till I get some keyboard problems resolved (because my kids are assholes)

2. LoB should be on option on the multi-selector enhancement thing. If not, you might try rerolling as a bladeforged paladin. They're pretty badass and they get reconstruct as an SLA. As for wisdom, you should be fine as long as you have 6 and have ship buffs. You need 14 to cast zeal and the other level 4 paladin spells and 6(base)+6(item)+2(wis shrine)=14

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
I need like a decent Reconstruction shard that I can use with a ring, so I can upgrade my helm...it's currently holding me hostage with it's massive Repair spellpower boost, which I kinda need to make reconstruct heal a decent amount of hp. Red slots only come on weapons, and mine doesn't have one (and won't get one until I hit 23 and start using Cleaver). Anyone able to help me out? My crafting skills are incredibly mediocre because I have been negligent thus far.

Woden
May 6, 2006
I just use a recon 40-60 ring depending on how lazy I am til I get to 23, there's Ring of the Master Artificer for the non lazy as well as Gloves of the Titan's Grip. Wolfinson's Monocular Enhancer is another ML 18 item, if you're planning on doing a few robot lives you kinda need that Arti ring unfortunately.

Can also get red slots on shields, so depending on build could work out.

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo
Seconding Ring of the Master Artifice. You can probably knock out the tokens needed in a couple hours and you'll have a very useful BtA ring you can use with all of your robot lives/characters (they only become BTC when upgrading to Tier 3). You'll need 600 tokens each from the non-Epic level 20 versions of Labor Shortage, Dragon's Hoard, and Short Cuts. The only one that's a bit of a pain in the rear end to run solo is Short Cuts, but if you have a decent DPS build and just focus on obtaining your quota while ignoring the optionals it is doable and should only take 3-4 runs.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I'm never awake this time of day, but just now I logged in to run the last quest in the Phiarlan Carnival arc before work and the server's going down for maintenance. Guess I won't be playing until tonight. :(

Woden
May 6, 2006
Argh, game went down just as we were killing Patrick the Maniacal, he had maybe 30% HP. Sucks that downtime is always prime time for me.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Release Notes are up

quote:

Iconics need to clear their reincarnation cache when reincarnating, just like everyone else.
Some nice things though, plat cost to respec trees decreases in cost faster(3 days instead of 7), a lot of the weapon mutations are back, and bards got a ton of buffs. Think PDK tactics got fixed but not sure.

PurpleFooz has a thread up talking about what the devs are up to ATM, some good stuff there and more to come.

Woden fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 9, 2013

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

I die too much and there are too many "rare encounters/explore" quests. :colbert: I'm starting to think I'm meant to drink health potions all the time.

I'm supposed to kill some gang lord in the Stormreach market, but like 100 dudes attack me.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me

Captain Pike posted:

I die too much and there are too many "rare encounters/explore" quests. :colbert: I'm starting to think I'm meant to drink health potions all the time.

I'm supposed to kill some gang lord in the Stormreach market, but like 100 dudes attack me.

You're supposed to hire a healer to take care of that for you :) Are you talking about the Sharn Syndicate quest in the tenements from Black Mulcahy or something like that?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah your options are:

• Make a good self healing build
  • Use hirelings
  • Use a bunch of potions, which is expensive though I try and leave some in the guild chest
  • Group with people who wanna heal
  • Drop to a lower difficulty

I tend to favor the first one heavily, though potions are always good.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Gammon posted:

Are you talking about the Sharn Syndicate quest in the tenements from Black Mulcahy or something like that?

That's the one! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV-ItDqqivE

I bet I could do it with some healing potions. Now that you guys have said I'm not abnormal, I shall just get used to it.

I also just ran around in a Three Barrel Cove dungeon, trying to rescue a ghost man. When I finally got to the ghost man trapped in a cage, he said, "Hey! Get me out of this whack rear end crystal prison, but don't touch anything or I'll explode!". Then I touched a puzzle piece. :riker:

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Yeah, that quest is pretty tough. I inevitably die at the end of it each time.

Healing potions won't keep up with damage for very long, and get very expensive, very quickly. You're much better off with a hireling (learning how to manage them is pretty easy). Get some armour with DR5/- on it (the Invulnerable suffix; there's plenty of shards in the guild chest to create some with). It will make your life so much easier, and will last you until about level 10-12 (at which point DR5/- becomes much less useful, not that it stops working).

Also, use a guide for that Three Barrel Cove puzzle. It's very tricky.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Yeah definitely grab a healing hireling initially - although you can potion your way around until level 8-10 easily. And don't worry, even non healing builds can gain a fairly powerful self heal at level 20+ and epic destinies.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
I did not know until tonight you don't benefit from the Str/Con bonuses of your own Primal Screams. So disappointed.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yes you do. No rage effects can be used while in a defensive stance however.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Dec. 13th – Dec. 15th
35% off Supreme Siberys Spirit Cake
25% off Heroic/Epic Tomes of Learning
30% off Slayer Count Boosts

Receive Double XP From Daily Dice!
Dec 13 - Jan 1

+2 loot through the 15th

VIPs get 1 free epic heart per level 20+ character until January 12th

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

I think I read a while ago that you could use twists of fate while heroic leveling. Is this still a thing if it was a thing? I'm thinking about TRing, and making some of those levels less boring might be nice.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
They patched that out one or two patches ago I think. or they talked about doing it.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
If they fixed it it was with this weeks patch, but I haven't logged in to check. There were signs they wanted to fix it very badly with u20, including being spammed with a "you are too low level to twist" message, even though you could still twist while being under leveled. To twist below 20 you will need to be able to travel to eveningstar, either via the key or by being VIP and using the hall of heroes to TP, and talk to the eveningstar fate spinner, telling him to reset your twist of fate. Be careful not to reset anything else like your destinies and don't do any feat swaps or you can loose out on twisting.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Really you should be Iconic Reincarnating and not TRing, 15-28 is way better than 1-20. Unless getting the hearts a problem for you. Bonus is for your first life you can Epic and then immediately Heroic into an Iconic race and get a "free" epic past life.

But yeah unless 20.1 fixed it it's still a thing. If you're VIP another way to do it:

Open epic destinies
Go to Primal Avatar
Show All Abilities on the right
Drag Cocoon down to your twists
Drag Cocoon down to your bar
Go to Shiradi
Drag Wild Shots to your twists
Drag Wild shots to your bar

Replace with the destinies/abilities you want. You have to make sure your active destiny isn't one you want twists from, changing your destiny will disable them until you re-do it. It's pretty much in the enjoy it while it lasts phase, they want to get rid of it (stupidly) but are having trouble locking it down completely.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

DemonMage posted:

Really you should be Iconic Reincarnating and not TRing, 15-28 is way better than 1-20. Unless getting the hearts a problem for you. Bonus is for your first life you can Epic and then immediately Heroic into an Iconic race and get a "free" epic past life.

I've been levelling all wrong. Still at least with my last wizard life I will be able to max out that spell penetration stuff and never need to think about that stat again.

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

Well right now I have a human 18 Cleric / 2 Fighter I was planning on TRing into an 18 Favored Soul / 2 Paladin, but TRing into an Iconic sounds good. Just have to figure out a different build if I do that instead.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Could just go sun-elf 17 fvs/1 cleric/2 paladin. Though that does cost you 9th level slots =-( Could also do Bladeforged and go 18 fvs/2 paladin still that way.

Sun Elf gets you: 3 positive spellpower passive, 10 light/alignment spellpower stance
Bladeforged gets you: 5% fort passive, 10 repair spellpower stance

Once you IR into your next life. And the bladeforged cosmetic frames are actually pretty cool, just a shame you can't use them on future warforged lives (same with the other iconic races cosmetic (and normal) gear =-().

Woden
May 6, 2006
If I destroy those Iconic cosmetic armours and items will I get them again if I TR into that race at a later time? Some of it is pretty cool but most is just bank space wastage.

Also kind of on the fence about AAs. They're incredibly powerful but really squishy on the way to cap, I also miss a lot in harder content. I guess I should farm up some leveling gear and stop relying on old epics until GH/Eveningstar gear mostly takes over and that'd help a ton, but th hardest part is learning the quests again with ranged in mind. I keep messing up my backpedaling and getting caught on terrain, failing to dodge spells(my saves are kinda sucky ATM) and not knowing when and where to use 10k stars, manyshot or fury. That should come with time I guess, but the learning curve is steeper than I thought it'd be. Some quests I'm a monster getting more kills than everyone else in the group combined and others I take a few backpack rides.

Doesn't help that I usually play drunk most of the time these days either.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Woden posted:

If I destroy those Iconic cosmetic armours and items will I get them again if I TR into that race at a later time? Some of it is pretty cool but most is just bank space wastage.

You're supposed to get them put into your cache anytime you reincarnate into that race. I've not personally verified it however.

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
Anyone have a character around level 18 that they'd group with me (Rambuss)? I'm having lovely luck with random groups and I really don't want to go through another. You name the time and place :wink:

Monastery of the Scorpion is hard when half the group is trying to kite and the other half is idiots.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
18-20 is pretty hard to get through. It's the biggest slog for me as well each life. I think my fried who plays might have an alt nearing that level - I will check with him.

Woden
May 6, 2006
So apparently the EDs in heroic thing was finally fixed, boo. That really helped out when you had a toon that didn't really shine until they got their EDs or hit cap, which were what I pretty much always built.

I have a question, if I do an ITR do I also get the Heroic PL as well as the Iconic? Like say I hit 28 as a Bladeforged my two options are ITR or ETR, if I ETR I have to get to 28 again before I can do any type of TR but will get an EPL feat, but if I ITR do I get the Bladeforged PL + the ranger one?

Also I'm kinda curious how close all you duders are to Completionist? I still have 5 lives to go those being wiz/sorc/bard/fvs/druid, all fast ones I guess if I just do heroic TRs which I'm contemplating doing instead of E/ITR combos.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yes, IRing gives you the Iconic Past Life and your Heroic Past Life.

I've got: Cleric, Favored Soul, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Rogue, Wizard x3. And we're level 25 through Sorcerer. Valisti has the same number, slightly different classes.
So I need: Artificer, Barbarian (using that +20 heart for this prolly), Bard, Druid, Ranger after this life.

Haggis has Completionist on one of his characters.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Ok thanks, every one in my guild pretty much has one completionist, one is like 3 TRs from 3x completionist and another has 2 on the same account. So I feel inadequate.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

We're not really in a huge hurry to get completionist or 3x completionist. It's our endgame pretty much, and it's a great way to burn yourself out just rushing to as many lives as you can as fast as you can. I'm all for trying to be efficient and beat your records and stuff, but we take plenty of time to just relax and get experience (especially these days when it's so trivial compared to when we started). As well as taking breaks to do some raiding and other endgame poo poo. Mix it up a bit, and throw in some breaks to play other games. Keeps it from getting boring. Is a large part of why I don't view TRing as a grind, the goal isn't to rush to completionist, but to have fun and explore builds getting there.

[Edit] Is why I think people who do 8 sorcerer or artificer or whatever with every life just so they can play exactly the same are really stupid. I mean hey whatever you enjoy, but that sounds loving awful to do every life.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 15, 2013

Woden
May 6, 2006
Yeah I'm the same, always TR into a build that I think will be fun instead of most efficient way to cap. So dex acrobats and the like that are horrible to level from say 11-20 but pretty cool after that and awesome fun at cap. Haven't enjoyed arcanes in a long rear end time so that's why I haven't got those PLs yet.

Guessing you plan on going back to Wizzy after getting completionist to play around with end game crap? Well if they make a fun end game I mean, if so I'd try and save that +20 heart so you can get a different PL when you eventually plan on TRing and get a friend to pike you to cap.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah that was the original plan, to go Shiradi Lich/Wraith Wizard once we're "done", but I don't know if we'd do that anymore. We figured even if we changed our minds, spell penetration is pretty universally useful to any sort of caster build. Who knows what we'll wind up doing at this point, the level 30 cap will probably be on the horizon by the time we're thinking about doing a bunch of ERs or whatever and not changing builds for awhile, along with any balance changes and new destinies/Iconics since then.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I have a question about enhancement resets. Are they currently bugged and decaying much slower than intended? Mine decayed, in two weeks (since I capped on this TR), from 204k to 198k in one tree (the tree has 33 AP spent).(Yeah I messed with it too much without noticing - maybe 7 or 8 resets within 3 days tops?) I haven't noticed the other trees go down appreciably. What are the current rules for enhancement reset cost decays? The above seems not the norm based on other characters I reset a few times a few months back.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Woden posted:

Also kind of on the fence about AAs. They're incredibly powerful but really squishy on the way to cap, I also miss a lot in harder content. I guess I should farm up some leveling gear and stop relying on old epics until GH/Eveningstar gear mostly takes over and that'd help a ton, but th hardest part is learning the quests again with ranged in mind. I keep messing up my backpedaling and getting caught on terrain, failing to dodge spells(my saves are kinda sucky ATM) and not knowing when and where to use 10k stars, manyshot or fury. That should come with time I guess, but the learning curve is steeper than I thought it'd be. Some quests I'm a monster getting more kills than everyone else in the group combined and others I take a few backpack rides.

Doesn't help that I usually play drunk most of the time these days either.

Tonight in the quest I ran with my guildmates, I had almost twice as many kills as the rest of the group combined. The rest of the group was a Barb, a pure healing Cleric, a Hezrou, and that cat hireling, but still, AAs are pretty badass, if a little squishy.

Edit: Maintenance is lasting longer than they said it would. Should have been back up 40 minutes ago and still can't log in.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 16, 2013

Woden
May 6, 2006

Noricae posted:

I have a question about enhancement resets. Are they currently bugged and decaying much slower than intended? Mine decayed, in two weeks (since I capped on this TR), from 204k to 198k in one tree (the tree has 33 AP spent).(Yeah I messed with it too much without noticing - maybe 7 or 8 resets within 3 days tops?) I haven't noticed the other trees go down appreciably. What are the current rules for enhancement reset cost decays? The above seems not the norm based on other characters I reset a few times a few months back.

This happened to me a while ago, kept messing with a tree while leveling because it was so cheap but when you get to higher levels the cost becomes insane. The way they're supposed to work is every 3 days they drop in cost by some amount but something goofy is going on. Left that tree for about 2 months and I think it went from 130k to 100k, bug reported it, spoke up about it on the forums and no response.

I *think* the issue is with leveling as I have heard of other people doing a lot of respecs at cap having decay work out fine, so respec too much at low levels and then zoom to cap and you're screwed.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I am pretty sure they have there cost to reduce and cost to increase running in opposite directions, ie if the first cost to in crease is 100p, and the 10th cost to increase is 10k, when you are at your 10th respect and it decays, instead of reducing by 10k, the most recent cost to increase, it only reduces by 100p, the first cost to increase. I haven't actually done any testing on this, just observation, but it would explain why the much higher costs are not reducing properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
^^ I can see that happening. It's very strange though - it dropped by 2k on week 1, 2k on week 2, and 500 every day since the "3 day decay" update. Currently at 195k out of originally 204k and three weeks later. I might get this down to reasonable levels by 2015! ;)

Woden posted:

I *think* the issue is with leveling as I have heard of other people doing a lot of respecs at cap having decay work out fine, so respec too much at low levels and then zoom to cap and you're screwed.
Ick, yeah this was right after I respec'd once, took level 18, respec'd a second time, leveled to cap, took 19+20, respec'd and it was definitely no more than 7 or 8 resets on that tree total tops and it was 200k+ (oops?). The weird thing is now that I'm watching it it's going down daily, by about 500 plat per day. Not every 3 days (or week).

I see many new bugs that weren't there a year ago too - UMD not tallying correctly at all (umd or cha items' bonus to umd keeps going up a couple of times if you quickly equip the items, a weapon that you need umd to wear, and then back to other gear). I have a phantom 1% dodge passive from Grandmaster sticking around, even into quests, if I pass by anyone in Grandmaster. You can get multiple AA arrow imbues to stack on your bow if you switch weapons around quickly, and the like. I hope they're not kidding about 2014 being a year of finishing unfinished systems and bugs...

My 13rog/6monk/1druid Dreadnaught staff build is lots of fun and I recommend it for everyone (blitz is definitely ridiculous, as is the sun soul set's mountain stance +25% incoming damage bubble). Don't be like me and push half the monk levels until much later, or you will be boned by not being able to take grandmaster of forms (unless I drop it into level 27?).

And commendations of valor... wow! None of you are taking epic TR seriously, right? At least until they lower the number or increase drop rates. I'd really like incentive to run optionals and explorers/slayers too.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 17, 2013

• Locked thread