Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Im interested in minecraft teckit type mods where they add super in-depth technology progression from basic stone tools to futuristic tech. While this game is pretty much mostly about that by default, I'm excited for how modders can expand on that experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Best discovery of the day so far; shift+click automatically stacks items from one inventory to another.

Anxietychat, I'm trying to find a merchant in Alpha sector to spend 8k pixels on some sweet, sweet gun before I die (again) and lose a gigantic chunk :saddowns:

Eheu
Jan 28, 2013
Is the single-player universe shared between characters? Thinking that if I fancied switching species or changing appearance I could throw a bunch of a chests of the useful stuff in a hole on a planet, note the co-ordinates, and pick them up later if that's the case.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Xachariah posted:

Im interested in minecraft teckit type mods where they add super in-depth technology progression from basic stone tools to futuristic tech. While this game is pretty much mostly about that by default, I'm excited for how modders can expand on that experience.

I'm sure someone clever can do something with the wire system they kinda-sorta abandoned. The wire tool is still in but stuff doesn't need to be powered right now.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

That Sparkz mod looks amazing. That was precisely what I was hoping modders would do: add Minecraft style tech lunacy to make it worth building something on a planet (and let me do something with liquids)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I can't for the life of me figure how to travel to another star system. I have stripped mine of easily accessible minerals and I have like 300 fuel that I wish to use.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

I can't for the life of me figure how to travel to another star system. I have stripped mine of easily accessible minerals and I have like 300 fuel that I wish to use.

Right click in the map view.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Vib Rib posted:

Oh hey what do we have here on the official mod site?

Minecraft is leaking.

Oh jeez, I thought that was the incoming patch for a moment there. 75% of those changes had me groaning.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Do systems that only have one planet have a higher presence of treasures/rewards/cool stuff than systems with four or more planets? Evening out the threat level across sectors went a long way towards making 100% of the universe explorable and relevant instead of just corpsetraining it to the highest-TL airship but with ship fuel being precious as it is now you're really encouraged to make calculated choices which systems you warp to and I don't know if there's much motivation to explore the planets on the sparse systems as there was when wood was a 1:1 fuel.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Reiley posted:

ship fuel being precious as it is

Uranium and Plutonium helps, it's just alpha>gamma being a pain.

You can still deforest entire planets to fuel your ship anyway.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So the food system in this game is kind of driving me nuts. The only cookables i've been able to make consistently are bread and Coralkeep Curry (and that only because i found a merchant and bought a ton of chili peppers off of him before my friend killed said chef). The Curry seems to give a regeneration similar to red stimpacks but more robust? Does anybody know what the other foods do, google is unhelpful.

Also some of my plants grow reasonably well (actually most of them) but quite a few never seem to mature - Occulemon, Toxic Top, and Pineapple being the worst offenders. Does planetary biome/dirt color matter?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Made a few replacements for the lantern backpack because the original kinda looks out of place:

A more metal looking pole one...

A festive candy cane that I should have worked harder on...

And the Saints Row penetrator because why not.

If anyone wants 'em I'll share. :justpost:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

CJacobs posted:

Made a few replacements for the lantern backpack because the original kinda looks out of place:

A more metal looking pole one...

A festive candy cane that I should have worked harder on...

And the Saints Row penetrator because why not.

If anyone wants 'em I'll share. :justpost:

Please do! Especially that Candy Cane one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Okiedoke, here you go!

I also made a thread for it on the Starbound forums because why not.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Stole this from Reddit, this planet is pretty fun.

Sector X
X -96386463
Y -33223537
Ruthion Prime 422 II
Forest world

Spoilers, it's a world with giant pillars that jut out into space, and your beam in point is a mountain up in space. You can freefall from one of the pillars for about 25 seconds without hitting anything. Bring campfires and warm clothes.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Tulip posted:

So the food system in this game is kind of driving me nuts. The only cookables i've been able to make consistently are bread and Coralkeep Curry (and that only because i found a merchant and bought a ton of chili peppers off of him before my friend killed said chef). The Curry seems to give a regeneration similar to red stimpacks but more robust? Does anybody know what the other foods do, google is unhelpful.

Also some of my plants grow reasonably well (actually most of them) but quite a few never seem to mature - Occulemon, Toxic Top, and Pineapple being the worst offenders. Does planetary biome/dirt color matter?

You can easily get meat by slaughtering aliens on your planet. You used to need a bow for that, but if I'm not mistaken the recent patch made it so you can also hunt with melee weapons.

I have no idea how agriculture works, though.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
As an Apex, I had great success with growing bananas alongside wheat since banana bread has a pretty good regenerative effect, to the point where I was happy staying somewhere for a while and letting stuff grow while I gathered ore.

On the other hand, I had trouble getting carrots to grow, so it seems there's something a bit wonky about how various plants grow, but I haven't looked under the hood at the tables yet. I think you can grow any plant on any colour of dirt though.

It's easy enough getting meat since you can pick that up using any weapon (though the bow is more effective) but of course that just sates your hunger, you still need bandages or red stimpacks to restore health.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

paradoxGentleman posted:

You can easily get meat by slaughtering aliens on your planet. You used to need a bow for that, but if I'm not mistaken the recent patch made it so you can also hunt with melee weapons.

I have no idea how agriculture works, though.

You can hunt with Hunting Knives. They're a tier 1 weapon and you can (and should) dual wield them. About ten minutes of hunting with knives will get you about 80-100 alien meat and enough leather to make cold weather gear.

For farming, take some dirt, put it someplace, use a hoe on the top, plant seeds. Then you just wait for them to turn into harvestable plants. I am not sure how it works, because sometimes the plants don't seem to grow and other times you'll come back and they'll be fully in bloom. I recommend planting your racial crop primarily. A lot of stuff can just be bought, so unless you're hard up for plant fiber you should probably just try to find a village rather than buying, say, wheat. You can just put a handful of plants up on your ship, provided you have the space. As an Apex, I keep 8 banana trees on my ship and just harvest them whenever I'm back from spelunking or flying out to another world. This keeps me in a steady supply of banana bread.

The actual deep mechanics of agriculture are inexplicable and I think part of it has to do with the game just sometimes forgetting to refresh cells that players aren't in.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Oh hey, the first large enemy I've seen on my spawn world. I have Steel Armor and Steel weapons now, this should turn out okay... Alright, I barely moved his health bar, but-"

:fuckoff:

"...Mother. Fucker."

Seriously though, Steel weapons far superior to anything I've had found or dropped, Steel racial armor, and still one shot by something on your Alpha Sector spawn world. Bird projectile attacks (projectiles in general, especially rapid ones) still hurt a chunk even through the steel armor, but that was just ridiculous. For added insult, this was riiiight as I hit over 10k pixels and figured "You know what, Maybe when I get back to the ship next ill build a pixel compressor in case of shenanigans".

To drive home how ridiculous that felt, I built the robot with the superior brain and killed it no problem with my steel armor and weapons. I didn't even cheese it, I just did a running battle poking it with the steel spear and using bandages. It probably would have been a closer thing than getting knocked down to half health constantly by it's flamethrower if I didn't have the useless until that fight (I remembered it and switched mid fight) Energy dash to get some extra distance during healing. But still, felt like an actual fight I had to put effort in that wasn't bullshit. Compared to "Spawn World Surface Wildlife oneshots you".

EDIT: vvv Once we get some fish people NPCs and locations, I wonder if we'll see the other side of "Robots are passive aggressive to fish"? Though who cares when the entire rest of the universe loves you :3:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

This is the best bug I found so far

He gave me a very stern look after I used the monolith :v:

Also, if you ever ask yourself "What race should I play?", the only good answer is Glitch. Because everyone loving loves the Glitch!

:awesomelon:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Our tailors, for example.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Tulip posted:

I'm having a problem where Ocumelons won't grow on my starting planet even though the planet has eyetrees and most of my ocumelon seeds are from picking wild ones! Meanwhile boneboo, wheat, tomatos, and some avian plants I found are growing just fine.

rare bird
Jun 19, 2013

Am I making the wrong choice in not continuing playing Starbound until it's out of beta? The wipes just kill me :'(

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

rare bird posted:

Am I making the wrong choice in not continuing playing Starbound until it's out of beta? The wipes just kill me :'(

Don't worry about the wipes, just see them as a reason to build bigger and better next time.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

rare bird posted:

No. Right now isn't really the time to play unless you enjoy watching the game evolve. I'm playing very casually at the moment myself, figure there's not much point in going very far.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

rare bird posted:

Nah. At some point there's only so much designed game stuff to see, and you could easily sour yourself on the game if you try to keep going back and replaying the same content to see whatever new additions whenever there's a wipe. Plus, at this point, the early game is a bit too much work compared to all the fun stuff that comes after it.

Personally, I've just "finished" the single player to my own satisfaction, so I figure I'll just occasionally fart around on multiplayer servers or jump to particularly interesting-sounding planets until the next wipe, then wait for the real release before playing again. It'd suck to get burned out on a good game like this before it's done.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
I'm honestly just spending all my time hopping between goon servers to build various infrastructure. I really hope they don't listen to the whiners and remove things like hunger or add health regen. I really enjoy the feeling of building a nice little commune to support everyone in their efforts.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Hobo Siege posted:

I'm honestly just spending all my time hopping between goon servers to build various infrastructure. I really hope they don't listen to the whiners and remove things like hunger or add health regen. I really enjoy the feeling of building a nice little commune to support everyone in their efforts.

I wish they'd let eating food recover health over time like a bandage does, right now the only purpose for eating is to not go hungry which is weirdly realish for a game where sleeping in a bed heals your lava burns.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Reiley posted:

I wish they'd let eating food recover health over time like a bandage does, right now the only purpose for eating is to not go hungry which is weirdly realish for a game where sleeping in a bed heals your lava burns.

I'd be cool with more foods providing healing, yeah. I -think- a few already do.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
It does. Crafted food can provide buffs - there's a pie that increases your movement speed and burgers heal you better than red stims.

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
So is there any point in setting up a base right now and collecting/printing stuff for decoration? Feels as if building an outpost is completely pointless when I have the spaceship.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its for when you have no room to store poo poo on your ship anymore.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

myshl0ng posted:

So is there any point in setting up a base right now and collecting/printing stuff for decoration? Feels as if building an outpost is completely pointless when I have the spaceship.

Making a thing what looks cool, for fun times.

Probably better off doing that on a server where someone might actually see or interact with it though.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I know they are in the middle of revising the ore situation, but dang if coal isn't the most ridiculous poo poo. I left my starter planet with a diamond pickaxe, full set of t2 culture armor, and enough gold and plat to immediately upgrade when I kill the second boss, assuming I have the pixels. I also left it with zero torches and 1/5th of a tank of fuel because I have found more silver ore than coal. All these steel looming in my fute is alarming.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

Also, if you ever ask yourself "What race should I play?", the only good answer is Glitch. Because everyone loving loves the Glitch!

:awesomelon:

Its great how the one race that the Florans really like is the one race they can't eat.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Some guy on Reddit made a Dark Souls bonfire mod for the campfire, and some other guy made a mod that turns bandages into Estus Flasks.

It's awesome.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Some guy on Reddit made a Dark Souls bonfire mod for the campfire, and some other guy made a mod that turns bandages into Estus Flasks.

It's awesome.

The next obvious step is modding your ship to look like Snuggly The Crow.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Am I the only one who thinks that chucklefish laugh is kinda creepy? It throws me off every time I start starbound up

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Fishstick posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that chucklefish laugh is kinda creepy? It throws me off every time I start starbound up

I think it's someone in the room or on Mumble every time, even when I'm alone and not on Mumble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Fishstick posted:

Yep, I've complained about it too. It's not so much creepy as naff.

• Locked thread