Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
I just got bitched out for using Bun'jitsu and Curse of Oblivion in a tournament (one of the automated ones, not one set up by the community).

Bun'jitsu doesn't work as advertised, but he's not game-breaking or anything. Is it really that bad to play him in a tournament?

Edit: Also, Curse of Oblivion is really good, and perfect for countering escalation decks. If it is not banned, how can using it be "cheating"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How long does a tourney typically take? I don't often have 3+ hours where I can sit at the computer uninterrupted.

If you win, you play 3 rounds. Each round every player has a timer of 30 (or 25?) minutes that carries over between matches, but not between rounds, so the worst case for a whole tournament would be slightly below 3 hours.
1-2 hours is probably more realistic for a normal tournament (in the best case, you only need to play 6 matches), but yesterday I won because my opponent ran his timer down, so those things do happen.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 13, 2013

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

My desktop melted on Sunday and I am super sad to be missing the first batch of tournament action.

What are you guys seeing win on a regular basis? Me and most of my regular opponents are too prone to doing goofy poo poo for me to have a great sense of power, but I think the most consistent decks I made/played against were wild resource rush->mid-range creature spam or ruby full of cheap orcs. Honorable mention to sapphire/blue control but it always seemed a little too variable to be wrecking tournaments.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Afgad posted:

I just got bitched out for using Bun'jitsu and Curse of Oblivion in a tournament (one of the automated ones, not one set up by the community).

Bun'jitsu doesn't work as advertised, but he's not game-breaking or anything. Is it really that bad to play him in a tournament?

Edit: Also, Curse of Oblivion is really good, and perfect for countering escalation decks. If it is not banned, how can using it be "cheating"?

I played against a guy who used bun'Jitsu in a blood/red deck and had two 10/9s on the board on turn four in two consecutive games.

It's not cheating but it's bad form when literally everyone knows it's not supposed to work that way.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

There's some really neat bugs with Bun'jitsu's aboms, too. Sometimes removing one from the board will cause the other to die when your opponent untaps! :downs:

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I really like the idea of Bun'jitsu and just wish they would fix him already

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I remember playing against someone who expressed incredulity at the idea that it wasn't supposed to make two giant monsters. Even after I explained the wording, s/he was unconvinced that it wasn't working as intended.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
How did they explain away the fact that the stats were wrong on both creatures?

quote:

Exhaust two troops you control: Those troops transform into an Abomination with attack equal to 2 plus their combined attack and defense equal to 2 plus their combined defense

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So apparently Tournaments make the game break down more or less every four hours.

That's Alpha :v:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

BenRGamer posted:

So apparently Tournaments make the game break down more or less every four hours.

That's Alpha :v:
So, not much different than mtgo then? :downsrim:

ShaggySan
Dec 4, 2013
Hello everyone! My name is Dusty “Shaggy” O’Brien I am the Community Manager for Hex. I wanted to introduce myself to the Something Awful Community. Please feel free to ask me questions or give suggestions about our game. I will be visiting this site frequently and look forward to hearing your feedback. If I can help in anyway don’t hesitate to let me know!

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

ShaggySan posted:

Hello everyone! My name is Dusty “Shaggy” O’Brien I am the Community Manager for Hex. I wanted to introduce myself to the Something Awful Community. Please feel free to ask me questions or give suggestions about our game. I will be visiting this site frequently and look forward to hearing your feedback. If I can help in anyway don’t hesitate to let me know!
Even though I haven't played in some time, just wanted to say thanks for all the effort that's been put in. I'm a draft lover so I'll be more enthusiastic when that exists. Also really looking forward to guild features and PvE.

I understand if you can't give us a time line for those three things but I'd appreciate it. :tipshat:

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

ShaggySan posted:

Hello! I am Vincent "Disneyland" Valentine and I am the Ultimate Hex Champion™. Out of like 50 games I've won 3, so I am definitely a Pro Player.

I will give you $5(five) dollars and a copy of Torchlight II on steam if you swap my Dungeon Crawler backer tier to Pro Player as a better representation of my stature and prowess as a Hex Lord Champion.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone tried using a Windows 8 Surface Pro to play Hex? Work's closed until the new year and I'm leaving in a few days to see family over christmas, but what I WANT to be doing is playing the poo poo out of Hex while I've got long stretches of time to do so - I figure all the touch stuff would just mimic a mouse right?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Every single time I've won with my Mill deck it's been through damage thanks to ancestral spirits.

Control just isn't tight enough for Mill decks to actually mill people down, I think. Maybe blue/blood would have enough control, but I think it'd lack the draw to make it work.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I've run into some nasty control decks -- including one or two that just had me beat hands down -- but it's rare that I lose to one. When I do it's normally because they've gone really heavy into blue -- buccanneers, countermagic, time ripple, etc. -- and I just get stuck behind the curve. I think an effective mill deck is probably possible with things like Tomb Lord and Uurunaaz but I haven't run into it yet.

The decks that give me the hardest time lately have been green ramp decks. If you can pump out a turn 3 Fist you can pump out a bunch of other nasty stuff really fast and it can get silly overwhelming.

What I'm mostly playing is a blood / diamond Dimmid deck with various hard-to-block creatures. It's fairly effective against most things and so far I think I've only *lost* one tourney round with it (to a green ramp deck, as above)(Maybe one other loss I've forgotten?). I actually won my very first tournament straight up (and didn't play for a couple days afterwards to preserve my record!) and the three or four other tourneys I've joined have bugged out after the first round. At this point though I have the "can't adjust sideboard between rounds" bug so I'm mostly just stomping around in Proving Grounds matches till that gets fixed.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 19, 2013

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

ShaggySan posted:

You are a brave soul to weather the storm of the official forums. I think you will find your visits here much more relaxing. This thread seems pretty slow lately, but I'm sure it will pick up exponentially once the game gets into open beta and we move to the regular games forum.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I expect the thread will pick up quite a lot when draft tournaments are added and then again when PvE is added, regardless of which subforum it's in. A lot of people are waiting on one, the other, or both of those two features.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zurai posted:

I expect the thread will pick up quite a lot when draft tournaments are added and then again when PvE is added, regardless of which subforum it's in. A lot of people are waiting on one, the other, or both of those two features.

PvE will definitely kick up the activity just because there will be more reason to talk to other players and coordinate -- right now there's not much incentive to share strategies. I think activity will also pick up dramatically once the cards become actually collectible.

For now I'm mostly posting on the official bug forums, just because most of my questions and comments are bug-related.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've run into some nasty control decks -- including one or two that just had me beat hands down -- but it's rare that I lose to one. When I do it's normally because they've gone really heavy into blue -- buccanneers, countermagic, time ripple, etc. -- and I just get stuck behind the curve. I think an effective mill deck is probably possible with things like Tomb Lord and Uurunaaz but I haven't run into it yet.

The decks that give me the hardest time lately have been green ramp decks. If you can pump out a turn 3 Fist you can pump out a bunch of other nasty stuff really fast and it can get silly overwhelming.

What I'm mostly playing is a blood / diamond Dimmid deck with various hard-to-block creatures. It's fairly effective against most things and so far I think I've only *lost* one tourney round with it (to a green ramp deck, as above)(Maybe one other loss I've forgotten?). I actually won my very first tournament straight up (and didn't play for a couple days afterwards to preserve my record!) and the three or four other tourneys I've joined have bugged out after the first round. At this point though I have the "can't adjust sideboard between rounds" bug so I'm mostly just stomping around in Proving Grounds matches till that gets fixed.

I play a lot of both control and mill, and gimmick decks for loving around(ruby/wild raptors is super fun albeit not very effective).

As far as control goes, going "really heavy into blue" is basically your only option. The secondary color has some open-endedness but you're probably going to go blood. The reason being that Extinction is basically the best loving card in the game bar-none. Murder is 3 Resource 2 Blood threshhold and kills one target. For one resource more you can cast Extinction and kill everything. There are some Ruby/Sapphire options but they aren't anywhere near as strong as the Blood options, strictly because direct burns are pretty weak at the moment.

As far as Milling goes, i'm not entirely sure a true mill deck will ever exist in this game. In set 1 we've got Sabotage, which drops 4 booby traps into your opponents deck. If your opponent never gains life, you're 100% guaranteed to kill them before you ever mill them out. The way I play Milling is to set it up like a control deck, and then mill when I can with hopes for milling out booby traps. You remove a lot of threats before they ever even get drawn, then you can eliminate the others with countermagic, time ripple, etc. Flock of Seagulls and Ancestors Chosen are both incredible cards in the deck, since you can draw up a ton of chump-blockers with Ancestors(which have a "Draw a card" effect attached, so you didn't really "lose" a draw) and use Seagulls to block anything without Crush all day long.

The problem with my milling comes from the secondary. When you want to mill, you're going to use Chronic Madness which means you want to escalate it as rapidly as possible and that means drawing a ton of cards. You can go Red for Cerebral Fulmination and draw draw draw, all the while wearing your opponent down, but...outside of that it's not so great. The other option is blood for Life Siphon, Murder and Extinction, but there's no draw there which is a pretty massive drawback.

I feel like i'm getting there, though.

Of course all this is moot when you can just cobble together something with Ruby/Wild in a few minutes and win all day but hey whatever.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Vincent Valentine posted:

The problem with my milling comes from the secondary. When you want to mill, you're going to use Chronic Madness which means you want to escalate it as rapidly as possible and that means drawing a ton of cards. You can go Red for Cerebral Fulmination and draw draw draw, all the while wearing your opponent down, but...outside of that it's not so great. The other option is blood for Life Siphon, Murder and Extinction, but there's no draw there which is a pretty massive drawback.

I feel like i'm getting there, though.

Of course all this is moot when you can just cobble together something with Ruby/Wild in a few minutes and win all day but hey whatever.

Yeah, I still can't really believe they added Crush to Gas Troll. It really, really didn't need the help.

Most of the time when my opponent plays Cerebral Fulmination I feel it helps me more than it helps them, since I get to draw an extra card from it before they do. I've lost count of the number of games where I was mana screwed or flooded until my opponent cast Fulmination and solved all my problems for me.

The main issue with straight milling is that until there's a concrete payback (like you get a Tomb Lord or Uruunaaz out) your mill actions are, statistically speaking, wasted; removing cards from my deck doesn't actually hurt me until I run out of cards or you play a Tomb Lord and my graveyard suddenly matters. Statistically speaking, you taking five cards out of my deck doesn't do anything -- in terms of odds, I'm just as likely to draw [card] after you mill as before, because you're no more likely to mill [card] than I am to draw it. Sometimes you'll wipe out all my perfect cards, sure, but other times you'll just help me draw it faster.

So I tend to see mill decks as giving up a lot of "free hits." Sabotage can be an issue, sure, but I only die to it when the statistics go freaky and all the bombs go to the very top of my deck. You're right that it's effective if the opponent has no healing, but how many decks 1) have no healing and also 2) are slow enough that you'll have time to mill out a bunch of sabotages?

For card draw with Blood use Pact of Pain, it's pretty great. You just need some lifegain to pay for it, but blood has options for that. Of course it's just the one card (and you don't want to play with four of it or your starting hand will be three Pacts).

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 19, 2013

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Eh, I've had a successful control mill deck.

There's more than just Murder and Extinction in Blood, there's Persecute, a 1-threshold 2-cost murder for any troop under 3 defense, Sorrow is a 1 cost extinction for any troops with 1 defense. Sapphire gets a lot of soft control with Time Ripple and Buccaneer, and every color has access to Sapper's Charge and Chaos Key.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The new patch is up.

Crown of the Primals seems like it could really help Ruby aggro decks against those control decks with tons of removal and no real board presence.

Hold back some cheap creatures until you have this, if the enemy kills it, just buff the next one.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Seems strong.

Rules question: If I bounce that, then kill the buffed troop, does the Crown revert?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Go RV! posted:

Seems strong.

Rules question: If I bounce that, then kill the buffed troop, does the Crown revert?

Speaking of bouncing cards. If you bounce a troop with that buff back into your hand, does that still revert the constant?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

BenRGamer posted:

Speaking of bouncing cards. If you bounce a troop with that buff back into your hand, does that still revert the constant?

Yes.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Tamba posted:

The new patch is up.

Crown of the Primals seems like it could really help Ruby aggro decks against those control decks with tons of removal and no real board presence.

Hold back some cheap creatures until you have this, if the enemy kills it, just buff the next one.

Where did you see this at? I can't see it in the card manager and I don't really know what hex sites offer news and patch updates.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Here you go Vince, from the hextcg forums;

HEX Alpha Patch Notes - v818 – 12/19/13
Tournaments
• Stability fixes for tournaments

General
• “User not online” message from chat no longer has two exclamation points.
• Quantity icons in the Card Manager have had a UI update
• We’ve begun to update the UI throughout the client with scroll bars
• You should no longer be able to get chat into a state where you see html
• New window frames can be seen throughout the client
• There is no longer a priority window during the Prep Step

Gameplay
• Prime Wild Orb of Dominance no longer ignores threshold requirement and activates correctly
• Prime Diamond of Solidarity now triggers correctly
• Prime Blood Orb of Brutality now has the correct game text
• When Mancubus steals a card it will no longer also incorrectly steal cards created by that card
• Sliver of the Immortal Spear now correctly requires five Sliver of the Immortal Spears to activate the nuclear option
• Research Adept no longer will go on the chain when there is no artifact in play as Research Adept comes in to play
• Research Librarian now correctly exhausts when it uses its ability

New Cards
o Crown of the Primals
o Infernal Professor
o Princess Victoria
o Rocket Ranger
o Mistborn Wendigo
o Cerulean Grand Strategist
o Dream Dance
o Jadiim

Known Issues
• Cards do not always highlight properly in your hand when they are legal to be played
The New Cards are not appearing for some users. Relogging will fix this issue

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Grim posted:

Here you go Vince, from the hextcg forums;

Thanks, that explains why I wasn't seeing things.

Edit: Please let us do things while we wait for the slower people to finish their games during tournaments. Even if it's just chat.

Vincent Valentine fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 20, 2013

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Thanks, that explains why I wasn't seeing things.

Edit: Please let us do things while we wait for the slower people to finish their games during tournaments. Even if it's just chat.

Press Enter, you can chat.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I look at this from the latest update and start to think about a deck with no other artifacts / constants / troops...

Edit: also as to the change with the prep-phase priority thing, couldn't they just change the default action to not prompt rather than removing it entirely? They already have a mechanism to skip priority on certain steps if you are so inclined

Grim fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 21, 2013

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.
Not a huge fan of the removal of the prep phase. I was sold on a magic clone, the fact that they're already dumbing down the complexity is not a good sign.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

OBi posted:

Not a huge fan of the removal of the prep phase. I was sold on a magic clone, the fact that they're already dumbing down the complexity is not a good sign.

I'm also tentative to lose chances to respond. They are just testing it though. So now it a good time to give them feedback

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Surprise Update with new cards:
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=31599&p=330747#post330747

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Some really cool cards in there. Both of the rabbit cards are great, overall shin'hare are still weak but a few more cards like this and they'll be getting there.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Aww man, I kinda wish they added the most interesting transformation card.

http://hextcg.wikia.com/wiki/Ascetic_Aspirant

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Are the servers down or something? I can't connect. :I

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Gas Troll ain't got no business bein' as strong as he is.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Gas Troll ain't got no business bein' as strong as he is.

Is he still getting +1/+1 from playing Ruby resources?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Mikujin posted:

Is he still getting +1/+1 from playing Ruby resources?

No, he just gets really huge really fast the old fashioned non-broken way.

p.s.: is anyone having a lot of problems where you play a card, it consumes the resources and then your card just vanishes and nothing happens? It's been happening much much more frequently to me, the last 3 out of 5 games have it happen to me.

• Locked thread