Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Colonel Sanders posted:

I have a multi monitor setup, and I want to keep youtube videos in full screen on one screen while still browsing the web on another screen, I can not currently figure out how to do this with Chrome. Is this possible? I am running Chrome 32.
Normally it is but sometime recently they broke it. The fix has been made, now it's a matter of waiting for it to make it to the beta channel. In the meantime, you can try disabling the built in Flash player by going to chrome://plugins, then click Details, look for the PepperFlash entry under Adobe Flash Player and click Disable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Colonel Sanders posted:

I have a multi monitor setup, and I want to keep youtube videos in full screen on one screen while still browsing the web on another screen, I can not currently figure out how to do this with Chrome. Is this possible? I am running Chrome 32.

I've seen it work sometimes and for the same site not work another time. It looks to be almost a ymmv.

I've run into an issue with 31.0.1650.63 m, it randomly removes my most recently visited websites from the new tab view. It doesn't have any problem on my laptop, same version, but my desktop just randomly gives me pages I use one or twice a week but the ones I use daily it doesn't want to remember.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Has anyone else noticed a font/stylesheet weirdness? It seems like text will occasionally lose its font styling if offscreen (via scrolling or a tab change). I've noticed it especially in Wikipedia and phpMyAdmin.

I'm in 31.0.1650.63.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
This kind of came up a few pages back, but is there a way to stop the omnibox from remembering my past searches? Or at least stop auto-completing when I start typing?

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

As Nero Danced posted:

This kind of came up a few pages back, but is there a way to stop the omnibox from remembering my past searches? Or at least stop auto-completing when I start typing?

Wow, this is exactly what I came to this thread to ask. This gets on my nerves so bad that I can't use Chrome.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Lori posted:

Wow, this is exactly what I came to this thread to ask. This gets on my nerves so bad that I can't use Chrome.

Are you typing the [url]http://?[/url]

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
Yes, but it's not just when I go to type in URLs, it suggests things whenever I type in anything, and I want to disable it entirely so that when I type into the bar nothing shows up at all, like how I have it in Firefox.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

As Nero Danced posted:

Like this?

chrome://settings/search#prediction (copy-paste into new tab)

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
I've had that disabled forever and it doesn't help anything.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Lori posted:

I've had that disabled forever and it doesn't help anything.

Same here. I don't mind it predicting or giving suggestions, but I don't want it to remember my past searches, or at least I don't want it to default to a past search when I start typing. At this point if I hit C the omnibox fills up with "chrome disable omnibox history". All I'm finding by doing that is stuff that's been removed for a year or longer.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

I've just noticed while running a few instances of this lottery odds simulator in multiple tabs that Chrome seems to greatly slow down javascript speed in unfocused tabs. Is there any way to disable this behaviour and get it to run every tab at full speed (CPU permitting)?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Any particular reason why clicking links in my IM client opens a new window in Chrome showing my apps etc? Like, a blank window? Instead of just going to the URL by default.

I swear it didn't use to be this way until recently.

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?
I use the SRWare iron version of chrome and up until today youtube has been fine.

Now when I try to play this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6drfp_3823I
it just gives me a constant buffering wheel and the video never loads or plays.
If I switch to HTML5 mode the video loads, if I choose 1080p though the video stutters every few seconds, plays fine at every other resolution just doesnt like 1080p!, it was working fine yesterday at 1080p, I am having no bandwidth issues as its buffering along at 40Mbps so loads super quick.

Have disabled hardware acceleration in chrome but it makes no difference, have disabled all my addons, still the same.
Tried the video in firefox and it plays perfectly.

Have tried other videos, most play fine some have the exact same stutter issue.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone had the default new tab page completely jumble the frequently visited sites listed?

Suddenly my most visited sites were missing and I hadn't clicked any X's.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

Thwomp posted:

Anyone had the default new tab page completely jumble the frequently visited sites listed?

I was just about to ask about this very problem. Sites i visit the most drop off the list completely and very rarely frequented sites will show up out of the blue. I noticed it starting to happen about a week ago.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Beach Party posted:

I was just about to ask about this very problem. Sites i visit the most drop off the list completely and very rarely frequented sites will show up out of the blue. I noticed it starting to happen about a week ago.

Yep, exact same issue. It's working completely opposite to its purpose right now.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, I started chrome today to find out it had nuked all of my extensions, settings, etc. Thanks, chrome! Of course it wasn't that big of a deal, I just signed in and got 90% of my extensions back, but how does that even happen? :psyduck:

And also, now I have to remember what non-store extensions I was using :argh:

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Anybody else having troubles using Facebook on Chrome? For some reason, Chrome often freezes when I open facebook. Reinstalling did nothing and I don't have the problem with firefox.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Amppelix posted:

Cloud to Butt, of course.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Is there any gmail checker out there that works? I've tried the official Google one and one called "Google Mail Checker". They all have a problem where they won't update till I visit gmail. Sometimes they'll update themselves after that, but after a day or two they go back to not updating. I never log out of gmail or google.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

Thwomp posted:

If anyone cares, i fixed my problems with this by installing the Speed Dial extension. It allows you to pick 12 web site that always show up whenever you open a new tab.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

It was a ways back, but someone was asking for an alternative to some youtube downloader, you can just use wget/curl or something tailored for this purpose like youtube-dl. Very easy to use, though you'll probably have to download Cygwin to run it in Windows.

Install with:
sudo curl https://yt-dl.org/downloads/2013.12.23.4/youtube-dl -o /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
sudo chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl

And then just run "youtube-dl someurl" to download a video to your working directory, grab ffmpeg and rtmpdump (from CygwinPorts on Windows) to enable functionality in youtube-dl to strip the audio out of videos to a file and to allow it to download some protected content.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

wa27 posted:

Is there any gmail checker out there that works? I've tried the official Google one and one called "Google Mail Checker". They all have a problem where they won't update till I visit gmail. Sometimes they'll update themselves after that, but after a day or two they go back to not updating. I never log out of gmail or google.

I've used "Checker Plus for gmail" for the last couple years I think, and it suits my needs. I disable everything except the icon with unread counts so I can't comment on the notifications and whatnot.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I've used "Checker Plus for gmail" for the last couple years I think, and it suits my needs. I disable everything except the icon with unread counts so I can't comment on the notifications and whatnot.

Thanks, I'm trying this now.

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.

wa27 posted:

Thanks, I'm trying this now.

If you're on Windows 7/8 and want an alternative that you can pin to your taskbar, I've got nothing but good words for Gmail Notifier+.

Though Checker Plus looks spiffy enough, if you're the type who never exits the browser.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Does anyone know by chance a Chrome extension, that'll highlight results from specific sites within the search results on Google? Pretty much the opposite of Personal Block List. It'd help when checking out results when following up on search terms showing up in Google Analytics.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Amppelix posted:

Well, I started chrome today to find out it had nuked all of my extensions, settings, etc. Thanks, chrome! Of course it wasn't that big of a deal, I just signed in and got 90% of my extensions back, but how does that even happen? :psyduck:

This happens to me about once a week and it's driving me crazy. I'd love to figure out what it is

It wouldn't be so bad but every single time I have to manually reinstall the hangouts extension which for some reason does automatically reinstall. I also have to change the default download location as apparently that doesnt sync either.

Each time it happens it also breaks the apps tab so it just has this:

Nothing but a reinstall with a complete wipe of the profile directory will help

Switching to the Beta recently made zero difference too

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Is there some setting I can modify or app/extension I can get that will make it faster to scroll through long lists of bookmarks? That's one thing I always liked in Firefox that it fast scrolled through some rather long bookmark folders I had with a spin or two of the mouse wheel, but Chrome does it much slower and I can't seem to figure out how to make it quicker.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

More and more extensions are starting to do lovely things and it's getting frustrating. The Window Resizer extension which is nice to use for web dev work just started redirecting google search results through ecosia.org. That's a nice, charitable type of cause, but it's a lovely thing to start doing. Especially since right now ecosia.org isn't working right causing all links on a Google search page to not work.

So, basically, every time one of my dozen or so extensions update I've got to look at a google searches, ads, shopping sites, etc to see what kinds of ads they're inserting or what links they're redirecting.

Bah to you, extension authors. Bah!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I was using an extension that removes the underline from links on a webpage. Unfortunately, one of the recent updates broke it, so I switched to another one which works but it also removes the bottom line on some text boxes. Nothing major just annoying sometimes. Is there another way to remove the underline on text links? I just hate the way it looks. I saw some people use a custom.css but that's never worked for me.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
It will if you put !important after it. IIRC this should do it for you.

a, a:link, a:visited, a:hover, a:active { text-decoration: none !important; border: 0 !important; }

specificity on some sites might still get the best of you though.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
That looks like it worked perfectly. Thanks, I think last time I tried the custom.css I did not include the !important.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Glad that it worked for you. The text-decoration: none; part should have no issue.

Just be wary that the border: 0; part might cause some additional wonkiness. You can do a lot with borders these days. Some sites use it as a better way to underline links. On other sites, they might use the border for a better reason, so just know that if something doesn't look quite right, that could possibly be why.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I was seeing a ton of ads starting today, even though I have ABP installed. It looks like my EasyList subscription was no longer active for some reason. Easy to fix but still strange.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 3, 2014

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Nevermind

101 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 5, 2014

Damegane
May 7, 2013
Is there any keyboard shortcut extension that allows you to rebind the default shortcuts? I tried Shortcut Manager, but it can't change the default shortcuts, and a custom shortcut with a Close Current Tab action doesn't work with some pages, like Chrome settings pages, web store, and blank new tabs.

Damegane fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 5, 2014

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Is this the appropriate place to ask questions about Chromebooks? I'm getting a Rogers LTE wireless internet stick from work and I'm wondering if it will work on the Acer C720.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I don't love this new update. The sound producing tab icon is cool but the hourglass next to the mouse pointer has disappeared from when you click links, or a page is still loading. Makes it difficult to tell if things are loading.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
Did they just change something that made scrolling way smoother? My computer used to choke a bit on the endlessly-scrolling facebook homepage, GIF threads here and elsewhere, etc., and it seems to have suddenly stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

ejstheman posted:

Did they just change something that made scrolling way smoother? My computer used to choke a bit on the endlessly-scrolling facebook homepage, GIF threads here and elsewhere, etc., and it seems to have suddenly stopped.

Yeah I came here to ask the exact same thing. Facebook totally flies now.