Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
It was quite appropriate that Cook should be named ICC captain of the year today. He had bowlers just making changes in the field, meetings between 3 or 4 players to discuss tactics it was a pretty poor day for the captain.

He needs to honestly put his foot down with the bowlers insisting on getting protection after a four is hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
He's only a captain in name, Flower runs the show between the outbreaks of petulance from the bowlers.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Burn Down Canberra posted:

It was quite appropriate that Cook should be named ICC captain of the year today.

Wow. He was terrible today. Broad moving a fielder, bowls a short ball, getting smacked for four and moving a fielder. Bowls short. Smacked for four, moving another fielder. Cook should have been telling him what to bowl and placing the field, not Broad. Fast bowlers don't have brains!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The bowlers love Cook because he lets them set their own fields. This isn't a new thing.

He's a pretty terrible captain, all things considered.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
One of my favourite 'goony' things is posters referring to people they dont like as 'petulant' it makes me laugh every time.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
I'm not sure how you could describe Stuart Broad without the term, though?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
By calling him what he is. A massive oval office.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Cook really can't set fields. Rubbish fielders in key positions, chasing the ball around the field rather than sticking to a plan, a single slip two overs after the new ball. He also lets the bowlers set fields to defend their stats rather than take wickets.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
so many bald pale geezers in town

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

He doesn't have the same depth, the warmth or the ability to grip a bat.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Frogmanv2 posted:

:iceburn:

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Mitch could if he really applies himself with the bat over the rest of the series get 250 runs and 20 wickets in a series which would be pretty excellent. He is currently the 5th highest run scorer for the series behind Warner, Haddin, Clarke and Smith.
He only needs about a hundred runs and three wickets. He might get there tomorrow.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Frogmanv2 posted:

loving hell. Well done there.

Good to see I didn't really miss any major action by deciding to go to bed at afternoon tea instead of sticking it out for the whole day.

And technically, if MiJo can get his 250/20 in the 1st innings, technically he's got a good shot at 500/30+ since he'll only be halfway through the series. But I don't see that form continuing the whole stretch, unfortunately.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Trent Boult catch, which is rather good. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zQR3SwnwTH4

What's up with Ryder? He's had a good domestic season (I think). Any chance of him getting a call-up soon?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gambrinus posted:

What's up with Ryder? He's had a good domestic season (I think). Any chance of him getting a call-up soon?

He's looking to resume his international career with the ODI series against the Windies, and is currently playing for Otago in domestic competition.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

So Dave Saker has basically said that England hosed up with the team selection and should have picked one of the taller fast bowlers like Finn, Tremlett or Rankin on the WACA instead of Bresnan.

Despite this not actually being his job to come out and bag the selections of his own team I am not too sure if he is right. I haven't seen a lot of Rankin I must confess but Finn is a bit too loose for the WACA and Tremlett has seemingly lost a bit of a pace. What do the English posters think.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The important thing is to keep it tight and not to lose, not to risk taking wickets and have to bat at some point.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dave Saker should probably lose his job, because they've been bowling some right shite recently.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The important thing is to keep it tight and not to lose, not to risk taking wickets and have to bat at some point.

You can take wickets with disciplined bowling. McGrath made a pretty good career out of it.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

So Dave Saker has basically said that England hosed up with the team selection and should have picked one of the taller fast bowlers like Finn, Tremlett or Rankin on the WACA instead of Bresnan.

Despite this not actually being his job to come out and bag the selections of his own team I am not too sure if he is right. I haven't seen a lot of Rankin I must confess but Finn is a bit too loose for the WACA and Tremlett has seemingly lost a bit of a pace. What do the English posters think.
Yeah I think they got it right too. Finn needs to completely reinvent himself as a bowler, Rankin was surely never going to debut in a test that they need to win to stay in the Ashes, and at the pace Tremlett was bowling at the Gabba he would have been cannon fodder.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Despite what the idiot Kiwi says, Finn is absolute garbage and should be no-where near the England team until he's been back to the county set up and got his confidence back up and gotten away from the English set up thats tried to 'fix' his action. He'll bowl at least 2 terrible balls an over and then knock the stumps over with his follow through because of it and its ripped any chance of him running through teams like he did when he came into the team away. Comparisons with him and Anderson are very apt because he's literally been ruined by a committee.

The lad has the possibility of being one of Englands great bowlers, but he's going to do nothing and indeed has stagnated by being kept around the England performance teams but not playing. And he wont play because he has no confidence himself, and no confidence in him from his team mates and Captain.

Rankin should be no-where near the English set up and is only in the team because Giles wanted to breach the overseas player rules for Warwickshire and dangled the England test cap in front of him like a carrot.

Tremlett I am genuinely confused about. When he was last in Australia he was almost the perfect bowler for those conditions. Decent pace, banged it in and got good, variable bounce that kept the batsmen guessing and was above all consistently on line so was tough to score against. Tremlett was fantastic the last time he was here for the sheer amount of pressure he built in tandem with Swann so wickets came out of errors and not necessarily great bowling.

I'm not sure if his last injury has really hobbled him for good, or if hes just not bowled for so long hes worried about re-injuring himself and being out for good but I dont know what you can do with him.

Anderson looks like a man thats bowled nearly 2000 overs without a break and Swann has lost a lot of spin since his elbow surgery so England basically have Broad as a strike bowler to trouble the Aussie team.

In conclusion we hosed.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah. Basically, the England team is pulling a mid 2000s Australia a little earlier than expected. Lots of promising-ish young players have been dicked around, and all of the superstar players have got a bad case of old at the same time.

Our only saving grace is that much of the Australia team is getting on a bit too. Buuut, it's much easier to get creaky bones going when you're winning.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Like someone said earlier, Finn is capable of devastating spells where he's literally unplayable, the problem is it goes too far the other way when he's not having a good day. I don't think he'll ever change, he's just one of those in the Harmison/Johnson mould.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lionel Richie posted:

Like someone said earlier, Finn is capable of devastating spells where he's literally unplayable, the problem is it goes too far the other way when he's not having a good day. I don't think he'll ever change, he's just one of those in the Harmison/Johnson mould.

He definitely had a bit more control over his line when he first came into the England team. I remember being actually impressed in his first few matches that he was very accurate. He still had a tendency to bowl the odd rank long hop down the leg side but that was very rare then. Its only after he spent significant time with the lions and the England setup that he started spraying it everywhere and bowling short poo poo instead of the really good length he had before.

In fact the Short poo poo really has come to the fore since Saker took over. It seems its rarer and rarer that you'll have people like Broad, Finn and Bresnan really try and pitch it up and it always feels like its against some sort of gameplan when they do.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not sure when I last saw an extended spell of bowling it at their toes.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goatface posted:

Not sure when I last saw an extended spell of bowling it at their toes.

Broad when he ripped through them at Chester-le-street probably. But even then he was dropping short for a few overs before remembering he was dominating the poo poo out of them on the full.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

serious gaylord posted:

I want to quote this forever and ever

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Everyone is describing Finn in the same way as current golden child MiJo

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I liked the description of the heat in this article:
http://www.wisdenindia.com/cricket-article/perth-frying-pan-smith-fire/89754

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

serious gaylord posted:

Despite what the idiot Kiwi says, Finn is absolute garbage and should be no-where near the England team until he's been back to the county set up and got his confidence back up and gotten away from the English set up thats tried to 'fix' his action.

He's definitely fallen off due to being constantly dropped and messed around with but he's still got a better record than any of Anderson, Broad or Bresnan and took 8 wickets in the first warm-up match. :I

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I've always said England miss a trick with our weather. All these warm climate soft southern bastards should be made to play every game in Durham when they come here. Weather works both ways bitches.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

He's definitely fallen off due to being constantly dropped and messed around with but he's still got a better record than any of Anderson, Broad or Bresnan and took 8 wickets in the first warm-up match. :I

He went for 191 runs and while he got 8 wickets, only 2 of them were genuine batsmen, and only 1 was of a test(ish) quality player. He also went at over 2 runs an over more than the other 2 quick bowlers.

His record is only better than those 3 because we've not been stupid enough to play him.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

He went for 191 runs and while he got 8 wickets, only 2 of them were genuine batsmen, and only 1 was of a test(ish) quality player. He also went at over 2 runs an over more than the other 2 quick bowlers.

His record is only better than those 3 because we've not been stupid enough to play him.

Interesting excuses for sure. Enjoy your Ashes thumping.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Lionel Richie posted:

I've always said England miss a trick with our weather. All these warm climate soft southern bastards should be made to play every game in Durham when they come here. Weather works both ways bitches.

England will probably never play a test at Bellerive due to commercial reasons, but it's probably good for the home side that you don't and that the subcontinental teams play there the most. Somewhat English conditions there in November.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Interesting excuses for sure. Enjoy your Ashes thumping.

Ah, proven wrong so you cant post anything else but shite. If only anyone cared enough about your team to troll them.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Ah, proven wrong so you cant post anything else but shite. If only anyone cared enough about your team to troll them.

What's 191 divided by 8?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

What's 191 divided by 8?

If he'd have ripped out the top order out in both innings you might have a point with this. Picking up bowlers who are caught on the rope slogging him for 6 for the successive time in 5 overs isnt what you want in a test quality quick bowler.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

If he'd have ripped out the top order out in both innings you might have a point with this. Picking up bowlers who are caught on the rope slogging him for 6 for the successive time in 5 overs isnt what you want in a test quality quick bowler.

He did better than Broad, Rankin and Swann. 5 of his 8 wickets were batsmen 1-7. RPO largely doesn't matter if you are taking wickets. You are full of poo poo.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

He did better than Broad, Rankin and Swann. 5 of his 8 wickets were batsmen 1-7. RPO largely doesn't matter if you are taking wickets. You are full of poo poo.

He went at more than double Broad and Rankin in the 2nd innings, and he only grabbed 3 out of the top and middle orders. That wicket keeper was a number 9 at best in a test team.

Broad also took 6 wickets for 69 runs. Of which 5 were from people in the top 5 of the order.

Are you saying that 2 tail ender wickets at an additional 120 runs is better? If so you really dont understand cricket mate and maybe you should try another sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

He went at more than double Broad and Rankin in the 2nd innings, and he only grabbed 3 out of the top and middle orders. That wicket keeper was a number 9 at best in a test team.

He was 2nd top scorer with 80 odd. The only reason you claimed he didn't count and was a tail-ender was because your point required dishonesty.

• Locked thread