Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

beatlegs posted:

So what Politifact originally gave a "half true" rating now gets "Lie Of The Year"? lol, whatever. Politifact is about as relevent as The New York Post at this point.
It was the President's follow up response that received the superduperpantsonfire rating but they're just piggybacking off the original quote because that's the one everyone knows.

It won't stop the media from misinterpreting it anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

quote:

Fox News host Megyn Kelly has made herself the center of a racial controversy by declaring that Jesus Christ and Santa Claus are white.

On Wednesday night, Kelly was responding to an article by Slate writer Aisha Harris, who wrote an article entitled “ Santa Claus Should Not Be a White Man Anymore .”

The popular news host told viewers of “The Kelly File,” her hit FNC program, “When I saw this headline, I kinda laughed and I said, ‘Oh, this is ridiculous. Yet another person claiming it's racist to have a white Santa.’ And by the way, for all you kids watching at home, Santa just is white. But this person is maybe just arguing that we should also have a black Santa. But, you know, Santa is what he is, and just so you know, we're just debating this because someone wrote about it, kids.”

Of course, a number of critics were quick to point out that Santa Claus is a fictional character. And while he was based on St. Nicholas, a white man, his exact description is largely left up to individual interpretation.

However, after a guest on Kelly’s show defended the Slate article, Kelly extended her argument to further claim that the historical figure Jesus Christ was in fact Caucasian:

“Just because it makes you feel uncomfortable doesn't mean it has to change. You know, I mean, Jesus was a white man, too,” Kelly said. “He was a historical figure; that's a verifiable fact — as is Santa, I want you kids watching to know that — but my point is: How do you revise it, in the middle of the legacy of the story, and change Santa from white to black?”

Unlike Santa, the racial heritage of Jesus Christ has been debated for years. Technically, the New Testament does not contain a description of his skin pigment, though most modern Western depictions do portray him as a white man. Though there is little to no factual or scholarly work on the biblical figure’s racial heritage, a 2011 BBC documentary “Son of God” attempted to create a modern composite of what Jesus might have looked like. The analysis concluded that such a historic figure would likely have had dark skin, based on the Middle Eastern desert climate in which the New Testament stories took place. “Experts have decided Jesus would have been anything but pearly white,” the BBC declared.

Interestingly, Kelly’s opinion offering comes only days after she told Jay Leno, “I am a straight news anchor. I am not one of the opinion hosts at Fox.”

Harris responded to Kelly’s broadcast , noting her piece was intended to be “a little tongue-in-cheek,” but nonetheless declared, “If you’re seriously emphatic that he is white and must remain white, there’s a good chance that your view of the rest of the world is just as limited and unimaginative. I mean, we are talking about a magical man who slides down your chimney every Christmas Eve. Just so we’re clear.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/12/megyn-kelly-santa-white-jesus_n_4431613.html

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 13, 2013

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Santa Claus being white is something conservative assholes do to make something an issue when it doesn't have to be.

Jesus being "confirmed" as white is just chumming the waters for a whole Fox News white conservatives vs. any rational human being. It makes literally no sense for an Aramaic man living in the Palestine/Jerusalem area 2000 years ago to have the complexion and eye color of a people living 1000+ miles away.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
But the guy in the painting behind the pulpit in my church is white! It must be historically accurate!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, I just thought it was worth posting because it's so horrible on so many levels especially the way she's directly talking to kids. "Hey little black and hispanic kids! Your parents are liars, Santa and Jesus are white, because God loves white people more! That's just a fact, deal!"

Plus the reliance on "historical figure / verifiable fact" when it is anything but. I mean, even as a yule-celebrating pagan I can kinda see an argument along the lines of "well, St Nicholas was scandinavian" but she doesn't even mention that, just dives full on into the racist crazy.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

In case you need any last minute Kwanzaa gift ideas, you can now get one of these 1oz coins for the low price of $2400.

I was severely disappointed that they hadn't changed "In God We Trust" to "Jesus, You Betcha."

LowellDND posted:

About when all the liberals realized "liberal" was a slur and started calling themselves progressives. Its a moving target.
And liberals, who love being aggrieved, will go on to flee that name too instead of simply saying, "Yeah, I am a loving liberal. Got a problem?" The whole left needs to take a lesson from the gay activists who said, "Queer? We're taking that motherfucker back." The slutwalk stuff was the last thing I can think of along these lines.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Plus the reliance on "historical figure / verifiable fact" when it is anything but. I mean, even as a yule-celebrating pagan I can kinda see an argument along the lines of "well, St Nicholas was scandinavian" but she doesn't even mention that, just dives full on into the racist crazy.

St Nicholas was a Greek from Asia Minor. His birthplace is currently in Turkey.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Didn't Politifact get in trouble a couple of years back for claiming that the death panels garbage was not false?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I would think that the literal daily bald faced lies and horrible racism spewed by GOP talking heads and state house members everywhere would be better material than a thing Obama said that one time, but some people have a pathological need for the truth to be in the middle and for milquetoast centrism to win I guess.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
I suggest a compromise on the whole white Santa thing. What if it's a white guy but in blackface? He'd get pretty sooty going down the chimney anyway.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

icantfindaname posted:

I would think that the literal daily bald faced lies and horrible racism spewed by GOP talking heads and state house members everywhere would be better material than a thing Obama said that one time, but some people have a pathological need for the truth to be in the middle and for milquetoast centrism to win I guess.

Yeah, I'd like to think it's partly that people get falsehood fatigue from the Republicans because they lie blatantly and intentionally all the time, so you can't really pick out one thing they say that is particularly egregious and horrible.

Whereas Obama said that one thing that could have been either a lie or a really dumb mistake, so it gets focused on.

Ed.: Not to say that Obama has only lied once ever, just that this particular statement was pretty obviously wrong in a very consequential way.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 13, 2013

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

OH GOD HE'S WEARING BOW-TIES NOW?! Haha, wow. That's great.

Paging John Stewart, we have another idiot in a bow-tie for you to humiliate on live TV.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ReindeerF posted:

And liberals, who love being aggrieved, will go on to flee that name too instead of simply saying, "Yeah, I am a loving liberal. Got a problem?" The whole left needs to take a lesson from the gay activists who said, "Queer? We're taking that motherfucker back." The slutwalk stuff was the last thing I can think of along these lines.

Although having a name which is criticized on both the right and left and whose definition literally means "excessive" might be damaging.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, I'd like to think it's partly that people get falsehood fatigue from the Republicans because they lie blatantly and intentionally all the time, so you can't really pick out one thing they say that is particularly egregious and horrible.

Whereas Obama said that one thing that could have been either a lie or a really dumb mistake, so it gets focused on.

Ed.: Not to say that Obama has only lied once ever, just that this particular statement was pretty obviously wrong in a very consequential way.

The real issue at hand is that it's a soundbite that encapsulates something requiring nuance. The full statement should have been "You can keep your plan if you like it AND if it isn't a bullshit insurance policy that is going to be outlawed quite soon because it's predatory and doesn't actually cover you in any meaningful way."

However the president is a liar and omg he's the worst thing since zombie gay Hitler. Politifact rates this: Mostly True

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Phone posted:

The real issue at hand is that it's a soundbite that encapsulates something requiring nuance. The full statement should have been "You can keep your plan if you like it AND if it isn't a bullshit insurance policy that is going to be outlawed quite soon because it's predatory and doesn't actually cover you in any meaningful way."

However the president is a liar and omg he's the worst thing since zombie gay Hitler. Politifact rates this: Mostly True

add in "..or unless you insurance provider is greedy and decides to dump plans that aren't as profitable." Obama never fails to overestimate the goodness of companies or his opponents.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ashgromnies posted:

I suggest a compromise on the whole white Santa thing. What if it's a white guy but in blackface? He'd get pretty sooty going down the chimney anyway.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3576419

The Dutch have had you covered for like 150 years here, although I guess technically Old Black Pete is Santa's helper and not Santa himself.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Trump is the worst kind of troll.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Oh Trump, when can YOU die in a plane crash?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

CommieGIR posted:

Oh Trump, when can YOU die in a plane crash?

Quick someone dare him to buy a solid gold plane on twitter!

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

FlamingLiberal posted:

Trump is the worst kind of troll.
The kind that doesn't turn to stone in sunlight?

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

And you know what? Tomorrow or the next day he'll be invited on whatever mainstream network show to pontificate and share his wisdom on some unrelated matter, as if he's a perfectly rational and important figure.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Well the AM radio circuit has picked up on the white santa thing, and you'd never guess what their opinion of the matter is. It's that santa's white identity needs to be defended against the multicultural PC gestapo trying to destroy white culture, also black people are the real racists for even pointing this whole thing out.

It did bring a smile to my face to see my local radio man, who usually paints himself as somewhat moderate, go into nearly full stormfront mode about white nordic culture being under assault. It was glorious because his own callers were basically telling him to tone it down and he's saying "BU BU BUT THE PC GESTAPO MUST BE FOUGHT". He then segued into complaining about how Christianity was being oppressed as well.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 14, 2013

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Have any other conservatives said a word about White Jesus, or are they staying away from that one?

Edit: Oh, apparently, Kelly has an update on this: "By the way, I also did say Jesus was white. As I've learned in the past two days, that is far from settled." Haha.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 14, 2013

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

ISN'T IT STRANGE HOW SOMETIMES PEOPLE WHO DO THINGS DIE

REALLY MAKES YOU THINK

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Lycus posted:

Have any other conservatives said a word about White Jesus, or are they staying away from that one?

Backing down is showing weakness so I'm sure plenty of lovely conservative commentators will parrot this too.

Also applies to this
VV

Radio Nowhere fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 14, 2013

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Is Donald Trump seriously talking about that birther bullshit again? Hasn't that been thoroughly debunked like a thousand times?

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Is Donald Trump seriously talking about that birther bullshit again? Hasn't that been thoroughly debunked like a thousand times?

He's got Top MenTM working on a lead in Hawaii. They say they're just days away from cracking this case wide open! For real this time, guys.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Just where Jesse Ventura thought his birth certificate was...

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
You know, one thing I'm kind of wondering...Ted Cruz, a guy that's apparently Hispanic and from Canada, is the darling of the right wing media. They worship this little poo poo. But they also won't shut the gently caress up about Obama being Kenyan by birth and also not white.

What happens when they decide Ted Cruz should be president?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I remember Cruz hand waving away the idea that he couldn't be president by simply saying "No, its ok, my mom is an american citizen", did I imagine this? Also, thats not how it works.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Days later Donald Trump would die when his toupee spontaneously combusted. Coincidence?

Squidster posted:

The kind that doesn't turn to stone in sunlight?

:goonsay: Um, those are GARGOYLES...

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

No, Cruz is right (saying this is painful); he has citizenship, from birth, through his American mother, who had lived in the US for at least five years. I don't think there's anything saying dual citizens can't be president either.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Well Cruz is right, and that is why the media attacking Obama over his is even more hilariously stupid

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I know there some people who would say that not how it works, but they would have to take it to the courts when he runs. But as far as I think most people are concerned, being a citizen in any way at the time of your birth is good enough for "natural born citizen".

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Autumncomet posted:

No, Cruz is right (saying this is painful); he has citizenship, from birth, through his American mother, who had lived in the US for at least five years. I don't think there's anything saying dual citizens can't be president either.

He did renounce his Canadian citizenship recently to appease the birther crowd, though. Now half of them think he's okay and the other half don't but won't complain very loudly if he does run.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Republicans posted:

He did renounce his Canadian citizenship recently to appease the birther crowd, though. Now half of them think he's okay and the other half don't but won't complain very loudly if he does run.

Not officially. There is a process and a fee. You can't just declare it renounced and be shot of it

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax

Rygar201 posted:

Not officially. There is a process and a fee. You can't just declare it renounced and be shot of it

Are you somehow suggesting that it may have been a publicity stunt on the part of the Honorable Senator?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ShortStack posted:

Are you somehow suggesting that it may have been a publicity stunt on the part of the Honorable Senator?

Well, you wouldn't want to actually give up your access to truly universal health care and a good safety net, would you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

The plane assassinated the health director.