Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
The main quest is just there to give you the full Unrelenting Force shout and Dragonrend (because gently caress dragons that just hover and breathe on you. God drat campers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp
Trip report for I Cant Believe Its Not An ENB?

I haven't messed with any of the settings but with just the defaults it looks really cool. I'll post some screenshots when I get a chance. In short, this is a great way to get a better look without having to mess with a bunch of stuff. Great for lazy people. I haven't noticed any performance hits either.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

tooterfish posted:

Wait... play through?

I've never finished an Elder Scrolls game. I think I might have got close with Morrowind, but I generally treat them as a "wander around beating the poo poo of of bandits" simulator.

I was about to disagree and say "But I've been going on epic quest lines that have taken me all around the map, I've turned into a werewolf and...", and then I remembered that I was doing the Companions quests and not the main story.

The last actually story-related thing I've done was talking to the Jarl at Dragonsreach and nothing else since, and that was hours of game time ago.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

I was about to disagree and say "But I've been going on epic quest lines that have taken me all around the map, I've turned into a werewolf and...", and then I remembered that I was doing the Companions quests and not the main story.

The last actually story-related thing I've done was talking to the Jarl at Dragonsreach and nothing else since, and that was hours of game time ago.

I have never finished the main quest line in any TES game ever. I don't intent to start with skyrim.

Zippy MacPhearson
Aug 5, 2007
Quick question about SPERG -

When a perk describes an effect to all weapons, does that apply to literally ALL weapons, or just within that perk tree? For example my character is primarily bow/one-handed, but there's a perk in the two-handed tree - "Standing power attacks with warhammers have a 30% chance to daze the target. Attacks with all weapons ignore 50% of armor." The first part doesn't matter because I can't see myself ever using warhammers or other two-handed weapons with this character, but if that second part means my arrows, daggers, and swords will also ignore 50% of armor that's pretty great. I just don't want to pick the perk if that 50% just applies to other two-handed weapons, though, and waste a perk point.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Tarq posted:

Trip report for I Cant Believe Its Not An ENB?

I haven't messed with any of the settings but with just the defaults it looks really cool. I'll post some screenshots when I get a chance. In short, this is a great way to get a better look without having to mess with a bunch of stuff. Great for lazy people. I haven't noticed any performance hits either.

I started out with this, but it was too saturated for my taste so I ended up tweaking it a bit; I disabled one of the Enhanced Lights and FX modules (ELFXEnhancer.esp) because it was making dungeons kind of unplayable; I know the vanilla dungeons are a tad too bright, but it was really annoying bumping into enemies with a stealth character because I couldn't see them and carrying a torch looks pretty but, again, screws with any attempt at stealth.

I ended up activating the "hazardous dungeons" setting in Climates of Tamriel which took them to a moody but still navigable darkness, used Nights Level 2 from the same, and I used this SweetFX setting instead of the one that came in there, and I'm really liking the results.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Zippy MacPhearson posted:

Quick question about SPERG -

When a perk describes an effect to all weapons, does that apply to literally ALL weapons, or just within that perk tree? For example my character is primarily bow/one-handed, but there's a perk in the two-handed tree - "Standing power attacks with warhammers have a 30% chance to daze the target. Attacks with all weapons ignore 50% of armor." The first part doesn't matter because I can't see myself ever using warhammers or other two-handed weapons with this character, but if that second part means my arrows, daggers, and swords will also ignore 50% of armor that's pretty great. I just don't want to pick the perk if that 50% just applies to other two-handed weapons, though, and waste a perk point.

I asked this question about SPERG and a shield perk before, and Seorin said that descriptions mean exactly what they say. So yes, if it says all weapons, then all weapons get the benefit. He did that intentionally, to make cross-tree skill picks a lot more interesting.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

The main quest line is worth playing up to but not necessarily including the final leg where you travel to Sovngarde to kill Alduin. Actually completing the main quest is kind of a let down, but all the rewards you receive prior to the final battle are totally worth the effort. I sort of steamrolled through the main quest on my very first play through, but on subsequent characters I tend to rush through the first batch to get Unrelenting Force fully unlocked, then I only do those quests if I happen to be in the right area.

I forget – is there a mod that lets you skip the unlocking stages for Unrelenting Force? I feel like I've asked this before and that the answer might have been, "no, just noclip through it," but I can't recall.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

There probably is one somewhere, but stuff like that it's easier to just use the console most of the time.

Orv
May 4, 2011

tooterfish posted:

Wait... play through?

I've never finished an Elder Scrolls game. I think I might have got close with Morrowind, but I generally treat them as a "wander around beating the poo poo of of bandits" simulator.

I've played through Morrowind twelve times. Doing all of the side stuff, even the incidental stuff like the ring in the pond ambush stuff, almost every time. I love Morrowind but that is still way too many to be healthy. Haven't done it this year though.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Storm Call is a good shout and you should probably finish the main quest to get the last word.

Zippy MacPhearson
Aug 5, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

I asked this question about SPERG and a shield perk before, and Seorin said that descriptions mean exactly what they say. So yes, if it says all weapons, then all weapons get the benefit. He did that intentionally, to make cross-tree skill picks a lot more interesting.

Great, thanks! I had a feeling that was the case, I've already picked up some perks in other trees for that same reason, but wanted to make sure.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
For anyone using my weapon style add-on for SPERG, I need to make it so Purse Snatcher and Celerity don't make the player insanely fast. So my solution is to reduce both perks' speed increases to 15%, adding an additional effect to Purse Snatcher that increases your pickpocket chance by 50% when running or sprinting (25% base, and 25% to negate the fact that you're not hidden, though this might need be lowered), and maybe a 5% or 10% increase in weapon speed or armor class for Celerity.

Alternatively, I could just make them not stack at all and leave them intact, although I'd like them to not be mutually exclusive.

I'd just like to know what those using it think. My main concern is that, having never really played a thief in Skyrim, I'm not sure how well this will scale at higher levels. I know that pickpocketing caps out at 90 percent, so this would be of limited utility later on. Can you still achieve 90% pickpocket in Vanilla while running past someone while not hidden? It would be great for role-playing purposes, especially early on.

Alasyre fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 13, 2013

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So I have quite a few mods, and the game runs fine,but after about 20+ minutes I get a CTD with no error. Is there a crash dump file I could look at to see what is causing it?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Just a quick question - has anyone comae across this before with Live Another Life?

If I pick any start remotely connected to a city, using the bed just sets me back in the prison cell. With Tullius, Ulfric, Hadvar and Ralof, who immediately go at each other :psyduck:. I've been removing recent mods but it doesn't seem to help.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Fat_Cow posted:

So I have quite a few mods, and the game runs fine,but after about 20+ minutes I get a CTD with no error. Is there a crash dump file I could look at to see what is causing it?

Do those mods include memory-heavy stuff like texture replacers? You could be bumping your head against the 2GB limit. Try running Process Explorer in the background while you play and see what the final memory usage reads out as when you do crash.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Fat_Cow posted:

Is there a crash dump file I could look at to see what is causing it?

There is if you have enabled Papyrus logging. Don't leave it running forever, though, because if you have a ton of mods it's probably going to generate a massive log file.

e: But agreed with scamtank, that sounds like it might be memory related.

e2:

Strategic Tea posted:

If I pick any start remotely connected to a city, using the bed just sets me back in the prison cell. With Tullius, Ulfric, Hadvar and Ralof, who immediately go at each other :psyduck:. I've been removing recent mods but it doesn't seem to help.

This sounds awesome.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Fat_Cow posted:

kedo posted:

There is if you have enabled Papyrus logging. Don't leave it running forever, though, because if you have a ton of mods it's probably going to generate a massive log file.
The papyrus log is not an error log for the Skyrim executable. It only logs stuff related to scripts that are running and in the unlikely event that a script is the direct cause of a CTD, the game will likely crash before logging things.

@Fat_Cow: Skyrim does not have a crash dumb. There are however common causes of CTDs you could investigate. scamtank above mentioned one. Mods that add more NPCs and enemies can also cause what you're describing.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Fat_Cow posted:

Post your load order?

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003
If you are having random CTD, get ENBoost. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/38649/

The 2GB CTD is probably the most annoying bug I have ever encountered in a game, purely because it is so difficult to troubleshoot. Nothing shows up in any sort of log (game and system logs) that would indicate a memory limitation. ENBoost was the only thing after months of research that took care of it.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
So I just built a new computer with the explicit purpose of replaying this game on PC with a boat load of pretty modifications made to it. What are some of the painpoints and pitfalls that await me as I start plugging more poo poo into my Skyrim directory?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

futile posted:

It avoids the User Access Control issues in Windows. It's probably a lot easier to just turn down/off UAC than it is to move your steam installation over.

Turning off UAC is a bad idea. Its a very big security feature.

Moving a steam install is easy. Things like Mod Organizer, wrye bash, tesedit, skyproc patchers, and possibly skse will gently caress up eventually if you have skyrim in your program files. They pretty much have to do exactly what UAC is designed to prevent.

RennZero
Oct 10, 2007

"Get in."

Digital_Jesus posted:

I have never finished the main quest line in any TES game ever. I don't intent to start with skyrim.

I too was like you, once. But 400 hours into this game and I eventually said "gently caress it, I'm gonna see where this thing goes..."

It was a pretty neat ending. Worth it at least for the cool screenshots I took on the end quest map.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

Tarq posted:

Awesome. I'll give this angry tonight. This seems like a lot less work to get this going than the alternatives.

SweetFX works for most other games (all games?) as well, though some multiplayer games might consider it cheating since it hooks into Direct X. There are settings files out there for a ton of games with compelling before/after shots.

Zarlog
Dec 7, 2005

Zarlog, Protector of Baal
When trying to install SkyUI v4.1 through Mod Organizer v1.0.11, I keep getting this error message:

quote:

This report informs you about potential problems with your SkyUI installation.

Fix these problems , then press 'Refresh' to confirm that they're gone.
After all problems have been resolved, you can continue with the installation.

-----------
Problem #1:
-----------
The SKSE scripts are missing.

Potential causes:
* You didn't install the scripts with the rest of SKSE.

Solution:
1. Re-install SKSE. Make sure you extract the 'Data/' folder from the downloaded archive to your Skyrim installation directory.

I followed Gopher's video guide to installing SKSE (v1.06.16), so I'm not sure what I'm missing. And my Skyrim is v1.9.32.0 for Steam. Any suggestions?

edit: vv Ah geez. Thanks!

Zarlog fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 13, 2013

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Zarlog posted:

When trying to install SkyUI v4.1 through Mod Organizer v1.0.11, I keep getting this error message:

I followed Gopher's video guide to installing SKSE (v1.06.16), so I'm not sure what I'm missing. And my Skyrim is v1.9.32.0 for Steam. Any suggestions?

Ignore it. MO isn't letting the installer see the actual Skyrim directory so it can't tell SKSE is installed.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I've read through the OP and many of the pages on this thread, and haven't found a solution to this yet: is there any way to check which version of a mod you have stored in bulk other than using NMM? I really want to like NMM, but it constantly duplicates mod names for things like optional files, which results in me inadvertently deleting them, thinking they are duplicates. My preference is to just use Wrye, but that only lets me go to a Nexus page, one-at-a-time. Mod Organizer looks nice, except that it maintains its own library unzipped (unlike Wrye, which can leave everything in .7z format).

Any thoughts, guidance, or "for godsakes go read such-and-such" would be greatly appreciated.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Can anyone give me some tips on the install order to follow for these animation mods? I'm using...

Realistic Ragdolls
XP32 Maximum Skeleton
FNIS
Dual Sheath Redux
Immersive Animations

I installed them in the order listed, running the DSRX patcher and the FNIS patcher with optional arm fix patch. I can get the 1h sword on back placement, but the draw animation is still at the hip despite selecting the back draw animation option. Both swords won't show up on the back, only one, and the drat torch is still being held down by the waist. I'm also not sure which order I should be running the cleanup BOSS->BASH->DSRX->FNIS after installation. I also installed the DSRX patches for the appropriate mods (frostfall, Immersive Armor, etc)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

graynull posted:

Can anyone give me some tips on the install order to follow for these animation mods? I'm using...

Realistic Ragdolls
XP32 Maximum Skeleton
FNIS
Dual Sheath Redux
Immersive Animations

I installed them in the order listed, running the DSRX patcher and the FNIS patcher with optional arm fix patch. I can get the 1h sword on back placement, but the draw animation is still at the hip despite selecting the back draw animation option. Both swords won't show up on the back, only one, and the drat torch is still being held down by the waist. I'm also not sure which order I should be running the cleanup BOSS->BASH->DSRX->FNIS after installation. I also installed the DSRX patches for the appropriate mods (frostfall, Immersive Armor, etc)

Oof, that one's a bitch to get to work, I spent like half an hour yesterday to get it to store daggers in the hip.

Have you run the Dual Sheath Redux patch?
Also, remember to only install the animations you want in Immersive Animations, as far as I know the game doesn't "switch" between animations depending on what you're using at the moment, so reinstall immersive, XP32 and dual (I have them in that order) and pick the same options in all 3, while leaving out the ones you're not going to be using. Finally, you need to run the patch if you haven't done that.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Ynglaur posted:

I've read through the OP and many of the pages on this thread, and haven't found a solution to this yet: is there any way to check which version of a mod you have stored in bulk other than using NMM? I really want to like NMM, but it constantly duplicates mod names for things like optional files, which results in me inadvertently deleting them, thinking they are duplicates. My preference is to just use Wrye, but that only lets me go to a Nexus page, one-at-a-time. Mod Organizer looks nice, except that it maintains its own library unzipped (unlike Wrye, which can leave everything in .7z format).

Any thoughts, guidance, or "for godsakes go read such-and-such" would be greatly appreciated.

Use MO. Really.

It doesn't keep an unzipped library, it just doesn't install mods into Skyrim/data but their own MO/Mods/<mod name>/ folder. It then uses black magic to turn all of those into the /data/ folder skyrim sees. Wrye bash and nmm and anything else just spray all of a mod's files into /data/ when you install them. The only way a MO install will take up more room than a wrye install is if you have tons of conflicting files that would get overwritten as wrye installs the mods.

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp
How do I get rid of the Spirit Echos that get summoned by SPERG? It keeps making this moaning noise which is loud and annoying and it won't go away.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tarq posted:

How do I get rid of the Spirit Echos that get summoned by SPERG? It keeps making this moaning noise which is loud and annoying and it won't go away.

~, click on it, type in 'disable' sans marks, hit enter.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
What does it mean when entering a specific area causes the game to crash? I get a CTD every time I come near Fort Greymoor.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The Live Another Life mod is really cool and well-done, and makes good use of Skyrim's soft-scaling. Similar mods for Fallout New Vegas tended to be terrible because you would start the game in areas you were supposed to hit 10-20 hours in. I decided to be an orc bandit and worked my way through some pretty tough Forsworn fights, but nothing insurmountable (like walking out of your starting area and hitting packs of glowing ghouls in FONV). Still gotta watch out for the 500 gp bounty they automatically slapped on me in my starting hold, which was a nice touch. The only thing that hurts the mod is how oddball the Stormcloak / Empire choice is presented, even if it is optional. But once you're out of the cave it dovetails elegantly with the revised story up to that point. Really impressive imo.

Meanwhile I decide to roleplay and accost a nobleman and his escort, but some long-forgotten mod made horses invincible in this game, and they apparently count as witnesses to crime, so that didn't end well. I just took out my frustration on an Empire prisoner convoy and a few Whiterun guards. No pack animals around to report that one.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I'm playing as a witch hunter and I'd like to wear a pilgrim hat, like the Inquisitors in Warhammer 40K, but can't find a mod for that, any suggestions?

Also, are there any mods to make the Forsworn more interesting, like followers or more quests? I really like the concept, but I wish there was more to them

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

radlum posted:

I'm playing as a witch hunter and I'd like to wear a pilgrim hat, like the Inquisitors in Warhammer 40K, but can't find a mod for that, any suggestions?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/5300/

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005

slightpirate posted:

So I just built a new computer with the explicit purpose of replaying this game on PC with a boat load of pretty modifications made to it. What are some of the painpoints and pitfalls that await me as I start plugging more poo poo into my Skyrim directory?

Well since you specifically mention "pretty modifications" I'll assume you mean graphical improvement mods. You'll reach one big major problem if you go whole hog with super high rez 4k texture overhauls. Namely the 3.1 GB memory crash bug. Skyrim did get patched by Beth to use more than 2GB of ram, but it still shits the bed when total ram reaches 3.1 GB. And with the lousy way the game keeps stuff in memory you'll reach that really really really quickly if you prettify things.

Fear not, look up ENBoost on Skryim Nexus. This is pretty much mandatory if you're going graphics/additional content heavy.

Kaebora
Jul 12, 2006

Be careful of forgetfulness. Your lucky color is...blue?
Does anyone know of a reason that my save would suddenly balloon from 11,600 KB to 172,440 KB in the middle of a play session? I picked up Skryim again to play after a bit of a break - didn't install any new mods or anything - did a couple quests, some exploring, some loitering, no issues at all. Went through the Aemer's Refuge player's house, did some crafting, and then exited near Ivarstead, and the all of the sudden my save file started to balloon - it'd take 15, 20 seconds to quicksave.

I mean, I'd get it if I installed a bunch of mods, or what have you, but I've been very careful not to install/change mods in the middle of a playthrough, and even then, a bunch of save bloat with no warning?

I was able to load one of my autosave backups with a minimal loss of progress, so I'm not completely hampered by it, it's just a very strange occurrence. Is it just Skyrim being Skyrim, or is there a particular mod or location that suddenly causes save game bloat?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Kaebora posted:

Does anyone know of a reason that my save would suddenly balloon from 11,600 KB to 172,440 KB in the middle of a play session?
<snip>
Is it just Skyrim being Skyrim, or is there a particular mod or location that suddenly causes save game bloat?
You're using one or more very, very broken mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaebora
Jul 12, 2006

Be careful of forgetfulness. Your lucky color is...blue?

Raygereio posted:

You're using one or more very, very broken mods.

There's a mod that's fine for 47 hours, then breaks on hour 48? I mean, I could understand it if it was doing this on a new game or what have you, but for it to be fine for so long, then suddenly do this in the middle of a play session? Just seems so weird.

• Locked thread