Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's going to be unfortunate when the pin that bursts the bubble is Guardians of the Galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Just a quick reminder that the comic book trend started nearly fifteen years ago, and really has never been stronger. It might fall back from the over-saturation of the Marvel stuff, the Marvel stuff looks like it has at least a good five years in it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

Just a quick reminder that the comic book trend started nearly fifteen years ago, and really has never been stronger. It might fall back from the over-saturation of the Marvel stuff, the Marvel stuff looks like it has at least a good five years in it.
It's not necessarily comicbook saturation as much as it's the success of comicbook movies and TV shows coinciding with an all-time low in original-IP creation. It's an epidemic of sequelitis, and the tier-based Marvel model (and if the gods will it, DC too) takes it to another level.

Avengers 1 was great fun, but I don't know whether I'll be able to watch an Avengers 3.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

ufarn posted:

It's not necessarily comicbook saturation as much as it's the success of comicbook movies and TV shows coinciding with an all-time low in original-IP creation. It's an epidemic of sequelitis, and the tier-based Marvel model (and if the gods will it, DC too) takes it to another level.

Avengers 1 was great fun, but I don't know whether I'll be able to watch an Avengers 3.

Doesn't matter if you'll be able to. It only matters that the 17-25 year old male who saw Avengers 1 on Blu-Ray back in the day and loved it and wished they'd seen it on the big screen is able to.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

PupsOfWar posted:

I reckon it'll last a bit longer if they (studios) stop feeling like they need to do Origin Story Movie for every cape who shows up. Gotta broaden the narrative scope a bit.

I enjoyed Man of Steel in a lot of ways but
c'mon
it's Superman
you do not need to do an Origin Story movie about gatdam Superman
everyone knows who Superman is and flying and Krypton and etc. etc.

People like to be there at the beginning.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Deadpool posted:

It's going to be unfortunate when the pin that bursts the bubble is Guardians of the Galaxy.

If Guardians fails, which could easily happen, rather than fully bursting I can see Marvel taking it as a sign to only do established Avengers characters for future films.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The Guardians are really cool and I really hope people see the movie.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Guardians could go either way at this point, but I think the fact that it's even happening in the first place is kind of incredible, and shows that Marvel (for now) isn't afraid to take chances on weird poo poo. Like, for as safe as something like Avengers is, they've pulled off some really subversive stuff as of late. Look at Iron Man 3, for example.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Hakkesshu posted:

Guardians could go either way at this point, but I think the fact that it's even happening in the first place is kind of incredible, and shows that Marvel (for now) isn't afraid to take chances on weird poo poo. Like, for as safe as something like Avengers is, they've pulled off some really subversive stuff as of late. Look at Iron Man 3, for example.

I hope this means Thor 3 will be a Throg film.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They really need to do a superhero animals film with marvel properties from Disney animation like, yesterday. I'd say Pixar but they probably consider licensed content beneath them.

Also a Howard the Duck sequel from George Lucas. No reboots please.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If the credits scene from Thor is any indication the Guardians movie is going to be pretty crazy.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

mr.capps posted:

I hope this means Thor 3 will be a Throg film.

Thor, Asgard and Beta Ray Bill vs the Celestials. The after credits will spin off Throg.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

greatn posted:

They really need to do a superhero animals film with marvel properties from Disney animation like, yesterday. I'd say Pixar but they probably consider licensed content beneath them.

Also a Howard the Duck sequel from George Lucas. No reboots please.

There are actually a fair number of superhero animal films, animated or otherwise, already produced (Turbo, G-Force, Underdog, to name a few). With the exception of Bolt, however, these sort of movies do not perform well critically, especially considering how lenient people tend to be toward children's movies. Maybe Disney can make it work but the genre feels particularly creatively bankrupt. They still make fucktons of money, of course, so what do I know.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Power Pack seems perfectly setup as a Marvel kids movie if they wanted to do it. I'm surprised that Big Hero 6 is the one that's getting made

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Enough people have made enough money over enough time that I think superhero movies are a fairly permanent genre, like westerns or monster movies. There will be periods with more and fewer made, but it isn't going to be like the Schumaker Batmans, where those movies died and nobody talked about another superhero movie for years.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

StumblyWumbly posted:

Enough people have made enough money over enough time that I think superhero movies are a fairly permanent genre, like westerns or monster movies. There will be periods with more and fewer made, but it isn't going to be like the Schumaker Batmans, where those movies died and nobody talked about another superhero movie for years.

1999 was pretty much the only year after Batman and Robin that there weren't any superhero films out.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Strontosaurus posted:

There are actually a fair number of superhero animal films, animated or otherwise, already produced (Turbo, G-Force, Underdog, to name a few). With the exception of Bolt, however, these sort of movies do not perform well critically, especially considering how lenient people tend to be toward children's movies. Maybe Disney can make it work but the genre feels particularly creatively bankrupt. They still make fucktons of money, of course, so what do I know.

Yeah but those aren't marvel characters. Does Marvel or Sony own the rights to Spider-Ham?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I know there have been rumors for years about a Runaways film but I doubt that happens.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

greatn posted:

Yeah but those aren't marvel characters. Does Marvel or Sony own the rights to Spider-Ham?

Disney :v:

Sony traded Disney the cartoon rights for Spider-Man in return for more film rights the last time they were expiring.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

greatn posted:

They really need to do a superhero animals film with marvel properties from Disney animation like, yesterday.

No way, give me a Beasts of Burden movie.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Every phase 3 should start with a Pixar animated Pet Avengers short. That would make Disney a few billion

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I know there have been rumors for years about a Runaways film but I doubt that happens.

Runaways would probably work best as a Phase 2 to the Netflix thing. The story is a little much for a movie but not meaty enough for an ongoing TV show. A miniseries would be perfect for it.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Deadpool posted:

I really hope the Marvel Cinematic Universe survives the occasional misfire. If GOTG is that misfire, that would be unfortunate, but it would be amazing if the MCU proves resilient enough to make it worth continuing to take chances.

And also, I'd hate to see things lapse back into the interminable five-yearly reboot cycle.

greatn posted:

I'd say Pixar but they probably consider licensed content beneath them.

All or nothing. Pixar Superman. I know what the rights situation is and I don't care.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think they're riding enough of a high that "from the makers of The Avengers and Iron Man" will be enough to make GotG a success

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Opopanax posted:

I think they're riding enough of a high that "from the makers of The Avengers and Iron Man" will be enough to make GotG a success

Yeah, a lot is going to depend on how they market it, because on a base level it's not really similar to other superhero movies, but more of a space-adventure, closer to something like Star Trek or, er, John Carter.

Well, at least I assume so, I guess we won't know until the trailer hits and we get a better feel for its tone. But it's probably a deliberate choice on Marvel's part to separate it from other superhero films.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 13, 2013

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Should have thrown Iron Man on the team to boost the sales. You could even throw in the awkward sex scene with him and Gamora.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Here's a subtitled international Amazing Spider-Man trailer which focuses more on the humor side of things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z61rmiN35E

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

qntm posted:

I really hope the Marvel Cinematic Universe survives the occasional misfire. If GOTG is that misfire, that would be unfortunate, but it would be amazing if the MCU proves resilient enough to make it worth continuing to take chances.

And also, I'd hate to see things lapse back into the interminable five-yearly reboot cycle.

The Incredible Hulk was the misfire.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Bongo Bill posted:

Despite being better than either of the first two Iron Man movies, and at least on par with Thor.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The Incredible Hulk wasn't even all that terrible, just mediocre. I'd probably watch it again, once.

I want a new Howard the Duck but that will never happen. He could replace Squirrel Girl in the great lakes Avengers since she's a mutant so probably belongs with Fox. Or supplement her if Disney has the rights. Beverly should be played by someone who probably can't act, like Kate Upton or something.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

Here's a subtitled international Amazing Spider-Man trailer which focuses more on the humor side of things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z61rmiN35E

For some reason, I think the webswinging/CGI stuff looked a lot better in that trailer compared to the first one. Also nice to see Rhino pre-costume.

Bongo Bill posted:

It wasn't a bad movie and I bet if Norton wasn't notoriously difficult to work with, he'd probably still be on. Then again, did Marvel really think they could low ball and gently caress with Edward Norton like they could to the relatively fresh talent they got for Thor, Cap, Hawkeye and Widow?

I also thought the supporting cast for most of Hulk was really weak. So glad the guy from Modern Family never got the chance to really play Doc Samson.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked The Incredible Hulk a lot more than I expected to; it was the only Phase One movie I hadn't seen at that point and I didn't really expect great things from it, but it was a fun action movie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think a Hulk sequel could have been a success post-Avengers, but we're past that point now. Maybe in Phase 3.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

notthegoatseguy posted:

It wasn't a bad movie and I bet if Norton wasn't notoriously difficult to work with, he'd probably still be on. Then again, did Marvel really think they could low ball and gently caress with Edward Norton like they could to the relatively fresh talent they got for Thor, Cap, Hawkeye and Widow?

I think there's a difference between lowballing an actor and refusing to give them direct control on the script and film editing.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

^^^^ Hence the "notoriously difficult to work with". I'm not a film buff but my understanding is that is fairly standard for Norton.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think a Hulk sequel could have been a success post-Avengers, but we're past that point now. Maybe in Phase 3.

I think Marvel's thinking was they don't want to risk if the new Hulk wasn't as well received as he ended up being.

I also wonder when we'll be seeing Hawkeye outside of the Avengers films. He was in Thor but it doesn't look like he'll be in any phase 2 films outside of Avengers 2.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My Hawkeye dream movie is them just doing Hawkguy. It would let them do something with the character that didn't necessarily have to be a big deal.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Chaos Hippy posted:

Despite being better than either of the first two Iron Man movies, and at least on par with Thor.

To each their own, but I don't hear many folks preferring Thor 1 and Hulk over Iron Man 1, the Marvel movie that started this phenomenon really. What do you like about them over IM? IM2 I can understand.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

muscles like this? posted:

My Hawkeye dream movie is them just doing Hawkguy. It would let them do something with the character that didn't necessarily have to be a big deal.

I wonder if they could retool that Deadpool script to have Hawkeye show up instead of Colossus. Deadpool's not a mutant, his rights really shouldn't be with Fox.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
^^^He may not be a mutant, but he is an X-Men character in every other meaningful way. His powers are a product of Weapon X, he regularly affiliates with X-types, going so far as to join Wolverine's incarnation of X-Force, and if I'm not mistaken, his earliest appearances were in the X-Force comics of old. And that's not mentioning the importance of his relationship with Cable.

Electromax posted:

To each their own, but I don't hear many folks preferring Thor 1 and Hulk over Iron Man 1, the Marvel movie that started this phenomenon really. What do you like about them over IM? IM2 I can understand.

I think the main reason Hulk works better than Iron Man for me is that keeping the superpowers off-screen for most of the movie makes a lot more sense with the Hulk. That and the whole monster-movie aesthetic that was briefly discussed upthread.

Honestly though, it's less about me loving The Incredible Hulk and more about me not liking Iron Man all that much. Maybe it's asking too much, but I'd rather see an Iron Man movie with more than ten minutes of actual Iron Man content. Full disclosure: Haven't seen 3, and turned off 2 about half an hour in because I didn't enjoy the first 25 minutes nearly enough to justify waiting that long for 3 minutes of Iron Man action. Curiously enough, that also describes my relationship with Sam Raimi's attempts at Spider-Man.

haitfais fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He is not in the suit for action sequences very much at all until near the end of Iron Man 3, so maybe you wouldn't like it, but I think this actually made the movie better and the out of suit action sequences are very inventive and show off the character's ingenuity and improvisation really well.

Check it out. Bonus: It's a christmas movie, so it's a perfect time.

• Locked thread