Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I thought the conversation about the mask was great, but at the same time I have to sarcasti-laugh at it a lot because, like, you're worried about a mask obscuring your aim? But you're not worried about a giant hood obscuring your aim?

Superhero comics are great, but when it comes to costume choices that's gonna hinder fighting, a hood rates just slightly below a cape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I guess a mask has a possibility of slipping around while running/fighting, and something like a domino mask could end up completely covering one or both eyes. The hood could get in his eyes too, but that can be fixed with a shake of his head.

ov
Jul 28, 2004
SEE THAT WET SPOT ON MY PANTS? WATCH ME MAKE UP A STORY ABOUT SPILLING A CASSEROLE

Sanschel posted:

My friend and I were discussing the closest comic analogue for MEERAKOORUU; he says Venom with slightly less 'roid rage, I say Miraclo with the one-hour limit removed. Thoughts?

Thoughts: you guys are dorks.

A Fancy Gentleman
Jul 5, 2008

"I am in the prime of my senility."

ov posted:

Thoughts: you guys are dorks.

We are all on SA discussing a Green Arrow TV show, a really awesome one, but still. Dork is relative.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

BrianWilly posted:

I thought the conversation about the mask was great, but at the same time I have to sarcasti-laugh at it a lot because, like, you're worried about a mask obscuring your aim? But you're not worried about a giant hood obscuring your aim?

Superhero comics are great, but when it comes to costume choices that's gonna hinder fighting, a hood rates just slightly below a cape.

His worst problem with his own disguise isn't even the hood, it's the eye shadow makeup. They constantly show how it starts running whenever he's basically doing anything that involves movement. IIRC they even had an episode during season 1 where his makeup actually gets in his eyes and causes him to miss a shot or lose a fight or something. So, kinda glad they finally gave him the mask. It's not like it was super important or anything, but it was just one of those things that was needlessly goofy.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Speaking of MIRAKURU, I was slightly disappointed that Grundy didn't get brain damage and a serious skin condition as a side effecy. Instead, we get Two Face Grundy... yay.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

VDay posted:

His worst problem with his own disguise isn't even the hood, it's the eye shadow makeup. They constantly show how it starts running whenever he's basically doing anything that involves movement. IIRC they even had an episode during season 1 where his makeup actually gets in his eyes and causes him to miss a shot or lose a fight or something. So, kinda glad they finally gave him the mask. It's not like it was super important or anything, but it was just one of those things that was needlessly goofy.

Did anyone else notice the instant eye black that appeared when he put on the mask?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Darth Brooks posted:

Did anyone else notice the instant eye black that appeared when he put on the mask?

Eye black doesn't exist in superhero media.

In Batman Forever there's a part where he takes off his mask and his face is clear even though he's obviously wearing it underneath.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah it's better not to worry about costume physics and disguises. I mean, Lois Lane has been fooled for decades by a pair of wire-rimmed glasses, you just have to accept the mask is shorthand for "he's incognito".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Eye black doesn't exist in superhero media.

In Batman Forever there's a part where he takes off his mask and his face is clear even though he's obviously wearing it underneath.

That happens in Batman Returns but yeah, I think Kick rear end is the only movie that ever acknowledged that movie masks have makeup around the eyes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pretty mega Roy Harper spoilers within.

Oh, who else gets weird and skeptical looks when they evangelize about this show? It's hard to convince people that a comic book show is legit good.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 13, 2013

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
In the original Batman Returns and I think the first Batman , when Michael Keaton takes off his mask he has eye black around his eyes.

Rewatching the episode, it appears that the Miraclo formulae bathes Grundy in it. Then the place explodes. He's right next to the green stuff and then it gets all on his face.

So that's a pretty straight forward way for him to become Solomon Grundy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hollismason posted:

In the original Batman Returns and I think the first Batman , when Michael Keaton takes off his mask he has eye black around his eyes.

Rewatching the episode, it appears that the Miraclo formulae bathes Grundy in it. Then the place explodes. He's right next to the green stuff and then it gets all on his face.

So that's a pretty straight forward way for him to become Solomon Grundy.

As opposed to what, resurrecting him from a swamp via voodoo magic :rolleyes:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
How many stories where Grundy is featured actually call his origin into attention? At least in newer stories, he has a tendency to simply show up as low end super strong muscle, with everybody simply accepting him as a part of the general DCU rogue gallery, without actually going into the details about his origin. Unless the story actually features DC magic heroes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All they have to do is have Brother Blood get his body tossed into the swamp in the Glades to dispose of it.

You don't need the magic, have it be Miracle that brings him back just like Slade.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

All they have to do is have Brother Blood get his body tossed into the swamp in the Glades to dispose of it.

You don't need the magic, have it be Miracle that brings him back just like Slade.

I'm really not concerned with fidelity to the comics origin.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

zoux posted:

I'm really not concerned with fidelity to the comics origin.

But you should be concerned with coolness :colbert:.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That's almost literally the origin for Swamp Thing.

Him being doused in chemicals then blown up is a perfectly good resurrection method, and here's the thing they don't really delve into but I think we're going to see a connection between Miraclo and the League of Assassins.

Cause I think those chemicals are probably found naturally some where else.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Grundy had it first. :colbert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alas for Swamp Thing, his transformation happened on a Tuesday.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Him being doused in chemicals then blown up is a perfectly good resurrection method, and here's the thing they don't really delve into but I think we're going to see a connection between Miraclo and the League of Assassins.

Mirakuru existed before Ollie and Slade's island adventure time, so it would make sense (edit:not make sense, but be within reason) if the LoA knew about it also. Also do we know who Fyers was working for/have a strong theory? Was he on the island looking for it as well?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Not really spoilers. Basically it says 'they are considering everything and there are concept drawings on the board for everything.' They don't actually say which direction they are going yet.

What I'm wondering is: what's in the mirakuru that they are using? It sounded like Brother Blood was sure that if Roy survived he would have control over him somehow, I'll have to go back and see what he actually said to Roy before shooting him up verbatim though.

You wouldn't just shoot up people with a drug that gives people super strength if you didn't think you had a way to keep them from turning on you or going rogue.

My speculation based on that
The possible implications being:
Roy could be used as a sleeper agent later.
The control is a form of addiction, and Roy is a mirakuru junkie the Arrow has to get clean.
Arrow learns about the control aspect and they have to develope a 'cure' that removes mirakuru and can be used to neutralize a mirakuru army.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Amellsday is no more. The CW are using Arrow's success to launch The 100 starting in March.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think Brother Blood was giving the Miraclo to Roy cause he figured it would kill him.Solomon was just buttfucking nuts and all brainwashed by Brother Blood.

The Miraclo doesn't give you mind control over someone, otherwise explain Slade?

My pure speculation

60 years ago the League of Assassins developed Miraclo from the chemicals in the Lazarus pits, gave it to the Japanese to use in WW2, they lost it and have been searching for it since. This would explain why a poo poo load of it could bring back Grundy.. he was doused in it remember. It'd also explain the "sometimes the pit drives you mad" but instead of driving you mad it kills you. So it'd be the way the League ressurects Shado and uses her as an assassin and ressurects Canary"

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 13, 2013

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

It has to have some level of mind control property in it, otherwise there was no point in dosing random thugs (The Mayor) or doing psych profiles on blood donors (presumably looking for the easily influenced). An army doesn't work very well if it doesn't follow orders.

I also had no idea about the Venom-Miraclo link, but I will take it as a victory over my friend :D

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Brother Blood explicitly said that Roy would kill for him. It's clear that he at least thinks he can control people who use the drug.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Hollismason posted:

I think Brother Blood was giving the Miraclo to Roy cause he figured it would kill him.Solomon was just buttfucking nuts and all brainwashed by Brother Blood.

The Miraclo doesn't give you mind control over someone, otherwise explain Slade?

I'm pretty sure he told Roy that if he survived the injection he would be following him.

Can someone not at work post the actual dialogue?

And you missed my point, if there is a control aspect its added in with the new miracolo, thus Slade wouldn't be under that control.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Deadpool posted:

Amellsday is no more. The CW are using Arrow's success to launch The 100 starting in March.

The 100 looks decent? Lord of the Flies with a mutant 2 headed deer instead of a pig.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rarity posted:

Brother Blood explicitly said that Roy would kill for him. It's clear that he at least thinks he can control people who use the drug.

Also he was dosing people who weren't in his organization (like Sin's dead friend) so he obviously thought there was some kind of control element to it because otherwise he'd just have super strong person who is pissed off at him.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

e X posted:

Unless the story actually features DC magic heroes.

Now I want to see Zatanna show up in this show.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
When you are injected you get swallowed by rage. Blood probably manipulates them that way.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

Dexo posted:

When you are injected you get swallowed by rage. Blood probably manipulates them that way.

Roy seemed pretty cool with it when he woke up in the Queen house.

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013
I'd assume there's some sort of mind control element they added to the serum.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

Dead Snoopy posted:

That building in the background looks suspiciously like Roger's Arena, home of the Vancouver Canucks. I couldn't get that out of my head the entire time.

It definitely is because in the background is BC Place and its very noticeable roof design.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Why is this show so great? I think the answer is that it's enthusiastic about it's source material, isn't ashamed of what it is, and doesn't waste the viewer's time.

I am a little sad that they jettisoned "you have failed this city!", though.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hollismason posted:

Arrow: Being doused in chemicals then blown up is a perfectly good resurrection method

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It also doesn't hurt that the cast is really into it and thinks that being able to do a show like this is great.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I am a little sad that they jettisoned "you have failed this city!", though.

It's hard to play that line with any moral authority when you failed to stop the city being blown up. He needs to work himself back to being secure enough to say it again.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Nah, he just needs to start saying "You have [also] FAILED this city!!!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's going to be so goddamn Glorious when Slade says that line to Ollie when they first meet in the present day.

• Locked thread