Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
It's better then the lot of them. The only downside is that the villagers in 4 are less insane then 3, though still quirky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Gamerofthegame posted:

It's better then the lot of them. The only downside is that the villagers in 4 are less insane then 3, though still quirky.

I'm curious about how it handles harvesting priority. What I mean is, if you are harvesting a huge fuckoff field of crops, and you've got 7 turnips in your hand, will your character attempt to pick up poo poo that is on the ground from a meter away instead of the next turnip in the line? Because that was kind of annoying in RF3 when harvesting crops made it rain bags of seeds everywhere.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

Che Delilas posted:

I'm curious about how it handles harvesting priority. What I mean is, if you are harvesting a huge fuckoff field of crops, and you've got 7 turnips in your hand, will your character attempt to pick up poo poo that is on the ground from a meter away instead of the next turnip in the line? Because that was kind of annoying in RF3 when harvesting crops made it rain bags of seeds everywhere.

You can just hold down the button to pick up items that match now. Just scoot over the field with A held down (and hit B occassionally to put the stack away).

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, I think I like 3's cast more just because their insanity was just endearingly memorable, but 4's gameplay was pretty improved. Also the world is a lot bigger compared to all the previous games which caught me off guard. I actually use magic now (admittedly it might have been useful in 3, but I don't recall it being so) and having a full 3-character party just makes me happy mostly out of nostalgia from the Mana series.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
In RF4, if you are trying to trigger an event, do you just find a day where events happen and keep resetting until you get the one you want? I'm trying to get Thoughts Lost in the Lake and can only get 3 or 4 others to cycle despite doing a lot of resets.

I just really don't get the event system.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Jakse posted:

In RF4, if you are trying to trigger an event, do you just find a day where events happen and keep resetting until you get the one you want? I'm trying to get Thoughts Lost in the Lake and can only get 3 or 4 others to cycle despite doing a lot of resets.

I just really don't get the event system.

You have the gist of it, keep on resetting. If it refuses to come up at all, you may not have the prerequisite events or friendship levels done for it. I think they did it the way they did to keep things fresh and moving through the whole game, this does tend to suck hard when you want a specific event as you've seen.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Didn't RF3 have that nice "hold L (or R or whatever it was) to sidestep in a grid while working fields" thing? Am I missing something or is that gone for RF4. Watering is hard now. :saddowns:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

GruntyThrst posted:

Didn't RF3 have that nice "hold L (or R or whatever it was) to sidestep in a grid while working fields" thing? Am I missing something or is that gone for RF4. Watering is hard now. :saddowns:

Yeah, it is. I think you can hold down B and walk though. Maybe? It's been awhile since I watered my fields. On the upside, you'll be able to have monsters water all your fields before the end of the first month.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

"If you say hello, even people who don't like you will say hi back. They'll be your special friends. Your special awake friends."

:stare:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Meanwhile, the next Harvest Moon now has marriage candidates who don't look under-age.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/10/meet-harvest-moon-connect-new-lands-gorgeous-siblings-mistel-iris/

By the way, are we sure this is the same engine as A New Beginning? They might be breaking their pattern of making 2 games per engine it seems. From the few screenshots that have popped up, it looks somewhat different, though that could just be the art style. Also apparently you can swim now.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Looks like its probably still the same engine to me.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
It might also be because Marvelous is now the only Harvest Moon developing company in town after Neverland closed down. I am all for new abilities and marriageable characters looking older than 15 though, 2014 can't come early enough for me to get my hands on this.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Crabtree posted:

It might also be because Marvelous is now the only Harvest Moon developing company in town after Neverland closed down. I am all for new abilities and marriageable characters looking older than 15 though, 2014 can't come early enough for me to get my hands on this.

Neverland never made any main line Harvest Moon games, only Rune Factory. Rune Factory was always marketed more towards anime nerds than Harvest Moon proper, ergo the younger looking girls and why it always got extra creepy preorder bonuses in Japan. I think we are seeing older looking candidates in this one since ANB was already leaning that way in its art style and this title is a refinement of it.

I would count on a 2015 release here, just to be safe. Prove me wrong with another fast localization, Natsume.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

What are some good ways to make money in RF4? I'm at the end of spring and still broke. Every time I manage to make a few 1000 monies a new seed type or something unlocks and I end up broke again. On the upside, I've got all the crops except for the newest ones at max lvl for my scythe.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

LLSix posted:

What are some good ways to make money in RF4? I'm at the end of spring and still broke. Every time I manage to make a few 1000 monies a new seed type or something unlocks and I end up broke again. On the upside, I've got all the crops except for the newest ones at max lvl for my scythe.

Gems and ore are quick, easy ways to score cash. Make a note where the nodes spawn and hit them up!

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

I Watson posted:

Neverland never made any main line Harvest Moon games, only Rune Factory. Rune Factory was always marketed more towards anime nerds than Harvest Moon proper, ergo the younger looking girls and why it always got extra creepy preorder bonuses in Japan. I think we are seeing older looking candidates in this one since ANB was already leaning that way in its art style and this title is a refinement of it.

I would count on a 2015 release here, just to be safe. Prove me wrong with another fast localization, Natsume.

Extra...creepy...preorder bonuses?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I'm just happy to know the staff of Neverland is doing fine.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Toriori posted:

Extra...creepy...preorder bonuses?

Extra creepy (scroll down and click on links) preorder bonuses. The other games had less creeptastic art for the bonus.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

I Watson posted:

Extra creepy (scroll down and click on links) preorder bonuses. The other games had less creeptastic art for the bonus.

I should have known.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
New Harvest Moon Trailer

I can't get past how ridiculously fast harvesting seems to be.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I think I saw a bunny! Gonna raise so many bunnies.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

pichupal posted:

New Harvest Moon Trailer

Hell yes, good job on the streamlining Marvelous, now don't let us down with daily un-skipable cutscenes again. :bahgawd:

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

LLSix posted:

Like Dragongem mentioned, early on sell minerals and gems and use that to build your seed fund. If you're down for some :spergin:, choose your crops based on their profit yield relative to the time it takes for you to grow them. Note that some of the values for crop sale price are inflated because I've leveled them up in my game, but you get the general idea. Some crops are also undervalued in this spreadsheet because they can be harvested more than once per planting and I was too lazy to make another column to adjust for that.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Feed Me A Cat posted:

Like Dragongem mentioned, early on sell minerals and gems and use that to build your seed fund. If you're down for some :spergin:, choose your crops based on their profit yield relative to the time it takes for you to grow them. Note that some of the values for crop sale price are inflated because I've leveled them up in my game, but you get the general idea. Some crops are also undervalued in this spreadsheet because they can be harvested more than once per planting and I was too lazy to make another column to adjust for that.

That is awesome. Thank you! I usually use something like that for HM and was disappointed I couldn't find one for RF4. Very helpful.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

So Rune Factory 4 is a decent game? I got really tired by the newest Harvest Moon after marriage because the game just really seemed to slow down.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Its the best Rune Factory so far. The event system is kind of dumb but every other aspect of it is a step forward for the series.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I finally bought RF4 the other day, but I'm stuck on something. Is there a way to track furniture placement in this game? Porcoline gave me the free cooking tool or whatever, and as I was carrying it I accidentally pressed the A button and threw it diagonally out of existence.

It went through one of the transition screens, but when I checked nothing was there. :iiam: The sad thing is I don't even know what cooking tool it was, so I can't replace it yet.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Nondevor posted:

I finally bought RF4 the other day, but I'm stuck on something. Is there a way to track furniture placement in this game? Porcoline gave me the free cooking tool or whatever, and as I was carrying it I accidentally pressed the A button and threw it diagonally out of existence.

It went through one of the transition screens, but when I checked nothing was there. :iiam: The sad thing is I don't even know what cooking tool it was, so I can't replace it yet.

It was probably just the basic cooking table. You should be able to buy it again although I have no idea what happened to yours. I have had some glitches happen with furniture where they blink back to their original position after moving them but that doesn't sound like what happened here.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
To be honest, I have no idea what happened either. I picked up the Cooking Table, took a few steps outside of Porcoline's kitchen, and accidentally threw it into the screen below at an odd angle where it disappeared. Explored every screen of the town but didn't see it.

Then I went to sleep to do the new requests. The next day I found the table sitting in the middle of the airship for some reason :downs:

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I'm trying to finish up all my quests so I can New Game Plus, but I'm stuck on one in particular: the "Befriend 50 monsters!" one. The thing that's stopping me is gathering enough lumber and stone to upgrade my monster shacks 6 more times... is there a faster way to get that done, short of wasting all my PP to gently caress up my fields with rocks and wood?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I'm trying to finish up all my quests so I can New Game Plus, but I'm stuck on one in particular: the "Befriend 50 monsters!" one. The thing that's stopping me is gathering enough lumber and stone to upgrade my monster shacks 6 more times... is there a faster way to get that done, short of wasting all my PP to gently caress up my fields with rocks and wood?

Wander around the map to where rocks and stumps naturally spawn? I know there's a couple near and around the entrance to Obsidian Mansion.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ZZT the Fifth posted:

You can buy lumber and stone from the prince's (can't remember his name) store. It's a tad expensive, but if you're that far in the game, it shouldn't be a problem. Just save before opening up the store and reload until he has lumber or stone.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

pichupal posted:

New Harvest Moon Trailer

Oh my god, you can actually visit your friends' farms in multiplayer now? And are they actually talking? :aaa: The pitifully limited actions available in HM:ANB's multiplayer and not being able to talk was complete and total rear end. Is there anyone who knows Japanese that can tell if the multiplayer guys are saying canned phrases in that trailer or if it seems like the players are actually typing whatever in those speech bubbles?

I'm so glad that most of the revealed bachelors so far look in their twenties this time! Now they just have to make them interesting people to talk to, but seeing as it's Marvelous, I'm not holding my breath here.

EDIT: There's also a snippet about the game in the recent Japanese Nintendo Direct at around 30 minutes and 50 seconds in. There's a short chat log (One of those chat features you don't realize you dearly need until it's missing. See: Animal Crossing: New Leaf) and touchscreen emotes!

Squats fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 19, 2013

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/19/plant-marios-red-mushrooms-fire-flowers-new-harvest-moon/

Finally, I can sell 'magic shrooms'!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
This next Harvest Moon just looks more amazing now with each new bit of news. Never thought I would be able to harvest Fire Flowers and magic shrooms.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

LLSix posted:

That is awesome. Thank you! I usually use something like that for HM and was disappointed I couldn't find one for RF4. Very helpful.

Glad to know it's helpful. I made that sheet after a few days of playing RF4 and having a nagging feeling that buying the newest, most expensive crop seeds wasn't the best way to do it and sure enough I found out some crops just aren't very efficient. Now that I'm in the first winter of the game and rolling in money thanks to my bok choy plantation scheme, I can grow the slower-growing flowers for use in level 70+ medicine recipes.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Oh dang dude, I haven't read much about it, but is it just me or does the new game have no stamina bar?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Wait wait wait

There's a new game plus? Do you have to beat all of the quests to get it?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Allarion posted:

This next Harvest Moon just looks more amazing now with each new bit of news. Never thought I would be able to harvest Fire Flowers and magic shrooms.

IThe idea of having harvestable Mario items makes me want to have the whole Paper Mario cookbook in this game. Shroom Steaks and Spicy Soups :3:

Although Fire Flower + Egg probably belings more in Rune Factory...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

It's beach day! If I don't get to see Porcoline in a swimsuit than I'm not playing this game anymore. after I put like, 40 more hours into it but still. I think he's my new favorite RF character. He's always so happy :3:

• Locked thread