Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Well I guess sometimes Pan is a Niefel Jarl.

What happens if you transform him again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Neruz posted:

Well I guess sometimes Pan is a Niefel Jarl.

What happens if you transform him again?

He can use his Change Shape ability all he wants, between Great Eagle and Niefel Jarl:

Transformation is probably my favorite Dominions spell.

Azram Legion fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 11, 2013

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Ooh I see what happened. Is that supposed to happen? I get the feeling that transforming a Pan into a Niefel Jarl isn't the intended use of the spell.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Neruz posted:

Ooh I see what happened. Is that supposed to happen? I get the feeling that transforming a Pan into a Niefel Jarl isn't the intended use of the spell.

Its been a thing for years so if its not supposed to happen at the very least nobody has made it to not happen.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

jsoh posted:

Its been a thing for years so if its not supposed to happen at the very least nobody has made it to not happen.

I love this game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Transformation spell turns the caster into a random animal, selected from the entire list of animals. This includes every Pangaea or Bandar Log unit, all sorts of wildlife and, of course, our good friend the Great Eagle that turns into a Niefel Jarl. The main use is mitigating the crippling upkeep of his Pans by turning them into wild animals with no gold cost instead of the 300something gold they cost normally.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

jBrereton posted:

I have a feeling any capital province Agartha takes over might have a Roots of the Earth spawn in it.

That's actually a really cool concept and I hope Ilwinter leaves it in the game(assuming they can get it to activate only when Agartha completely conquers a cap, not just sieges). The free seal, not so much.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Emphasis on maybe.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

dis astranagant posted:

Pangaea or Bandar Log unit, all sorts of wildlife and, of course, our good friend the Great Eagle that turns into a Niefel Jarl.

Pangaean units aren't animals. The rest of your post is correct, however.

Realistically, there are only one or two elite monkey-mages who would have a higher cost than the Pans. And those units are sacred, so it's still a net positive. Very expensive in Gems, though. I think I'd usually rather have giant piles of N summons.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
If you were going to burn a stack of nature gems on some summons, which would get you the most bang for your gem?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Manticores, provided you can really mass them.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Not really sure yet, still doing a lot of testing. Obviously national summons are usually best, but I would say there are a few that realy jump out at me.

Mandragora: Relatively beefy mindless undead with two Sleep Vine attacks and 14 MR. You could probably get them pretty efficiently with a N5 caster.

Manticore: Flying, an enormous stack of HP, and I believe their Flick Barbs attack applies Death Poison.

Call of the Wild is a remote-attack, and you get to keep the units if you win. Would be good for messing with enemy movement since it's a magic attack.

Sleepers are good if you can gear them. And you probably can (Vine Shield forever).

Ivy Kings can also serve as nice and beefy thugs, but are fairly expensive.

Forest Trolls and Bog Beasts look cost-effective, but I'm not impressed by their stats.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 11, 2013

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Eschatos posted:

That's actually a really cool concept and I hope Ilwinter leaves it in the game(assuming they can get it to activate only when Agartha completely conquers a cap, not just sieges). The free seal, not so much.

I've not seen this happen with caps and I've been playing (EA) Agartha pretty heavily. There are actually two roots of the earth sites that I've seen--one that's Agartha cap only, the other is an earth site that has the generic earth-cavern graphic and I've seen spawn as a random site before.

So...possibly these got mixed up by the recent patch?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It's a common earth site, but Agartha has one just so they don't have to hunt over the map to use their summons. It's just a fancy title for a deep hole in the ground where Pale Ones can phone up Rhuax/Barathus for some favors.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I assumed it was a bug caused by the new feature of Agartha getting a 'free' RotE in their capital a turn after the game starts, and that possibly following on to other capitals Because Dominions.

If that isn't what's happened, fair enough.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
So what do you guys think of Misfortune 3? It really seems much more painful than Misfortune 2, especially if you don't have Order 3. Getting hit by brigands and barbarians every other turn hurts.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

amuayse posted:

It's a common earth site, but Agartha has one just so they don't have to hunt over the map to use their summons. It's just a fancy title for a deep hole in the ground where Pale Ones can phone up Rhuax/Barathus for some favors.

Now explain the Chamber of the Seal.

Jines
Aug 6, 2006

amuayse posted:

So what do you guys think of Misfortune 3? It really seems much more painful than Misfortune 2, especially if you don't have Order 3. Getting hit by brigands and barbarians every other turn hurts.

It's definitely not great, but far more painful in the early parts of the game in my opinion. Having 80 barbarians overrun a key province sucks a lot more when your only army's off busy expanding and you're too poor to immediately re-take it. Later on, though, enough PD protects against most raids, and with a stable income from growth/productivity, the stream of bad harvests and lost tax records don't impact your economy all that much.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Neruz posted:

Now explain the Chamber of the Seal.

The Onyx oracle got really drunk and accidently cast "The MAKING OF THE SEAL"

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

So what do you guys think of Misfortune 3?
Almost never worth it.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Can one of the veterans enlighten me as to the finer points of (magic resistance negates)? What kind of a check is being performed? I've been guessing it as 10 + Extra path levels + penetration + DRN vs. MR + DRN, but that's just something I pulled out of my rear end.

Also, with the (admittedly out of date) wiki gone, is there any other source for spell lists or documents like Lilli's SC guide?

\/\/\/ Wait, the defender gets a DRN but the caster only gets a drn?

Microcline fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Dec 13, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Microcline posted:

Can one of the veterans enlighten me as to the finer points of (magic resistance negates)? What kind of a check is being performed? I've been guessing it as 10 + Extra path levels + penetration + DRN vs. MR + DRN, but that's just something I pulled out of my rear end.

Also, with the (admittedly out of date) wiki gone, is there any other source for spell lists or documents like Lilli's SC guide?

12 + (extra paths/2) + penetration + drn vs MR + (target's paths in the school/2) + DRN (add 4 if "mr negates easily")

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

amuayse posted:

So what do you guys think of Misfortune 3?
Only with Turmoil 3 for maximum hilarity. Then post the best bits.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Pierzak posted:

Only with Turmoil 3 for maximum hilarity. Then post the best bits.

"Let's play Dominions with maximum chaos!"

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Neruz posted:

Is it possible for independents to attack you capital if the unrest gets too high? If so, what happens if both of the last human-held capitals get taken by indies in the same turn? Does everyone just get a lose message?

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp

Microcline posted:

Is it possible for independents to attack you capital if the unrest gets too high? If so, what happens if both of the last human-held capitals get taken by indies in the same turn? Does everyone just get a lose message?

It's always possible for indies to attack your cap after turn 3. They never storm forts however, so they can't wipe you out.

edit: Also, Lilli, are you guys playing a game against scrubs from another forum? Who's playing if so?

Fleur Bleu fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 13, 2013

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Fleur Bleu posted:

edit: Also, Lilli, are you guys playing a game against scrubs from another forum? Who's playing if so?

Nah, not against scrubs, but yeah we're doing an SA vs Desura/Dom4mods game.

code:
Desura Team    SA Team
Maerlande      Lilli
Shovah         Thedemon
Lourdes   vs   Buildscharacter
Executor       Flavahbeast
AWildPanda     Schneeble
Ohlmann        Irony.or.Death
Here are the final teams drafted.

Team Desura: Utgard, Bogarus, Patala, T'ien Ch'i, Ulm, Agartha
Team Awful: Mictlan, Midgard, C'tis, Atlantis, Gath, Man

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neruz posted:

The next game which is LP-ed should be a game where everyone is required to take Turmoil 3 and Misfortune 3, with random events set to "common".

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

JosephWongKS posted:

The next game which is LP-ed should be a game where everyone is required to take Turmoil 3 and Misfortune 3, with random events set to "common".

I would totally do that, just to see how long I could survive.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I love this game but am terrible at this game. I'm slowly getting better at it but my problem is that eventually I get over run by doom stacks where the enemy AI is rocking 300-500 guys and my own smaller troops drop from fatigue before they can finish it.

I enjoy playing as Ulm and Man so am I just screwing myself via faction picks?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
There is
  • the Dom4db, although you'll need open office, excel, or equivalent to open it (be sure you're opening the static version unless you're looking to tweak values).
  • Some sort of IRC bot I haven't familiarized myself with.
  • As well, thanks to the shift to digital distribution, the manual is getting updates (can find on the main site, dunno and haven't tried steam/desura manual).

Less useful:
There is a wikia with all of three pages.
There is no strategywiki for Dominions 4, though there was one for Dominions 3.

Edit Re: Excelsiortothemax

If you tell us which era and a little bit about your AI opponents' nations, I'd be happy to recklessly theorycraft until someone more experienced chimes in, since it is the AI we're talking about, you should be able to win even with Agartha, Caelum, Abyssia.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 13, 2013

Fornadan
Dec 7, 2010

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I love this game but am terrible at this game. I'm slowly getting better at it but my problem is that eventually I get over run by doom stacks where the enemy AI is rocking 300-500 guys and my own smaller troops drop from fatigue before they can finish it.

Most likely you're not bringing enough mages to the battle field

The recruit everywhere Master Smiths of MA Ulm for example, will tear massive holes in AI armies if massed and set to spam Magma Eruption and similar evocations

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Lilli posted:

Nah, not against scrubs, but yeah we're doing an SA vs Desura/Dom4mods game.

code:
Desura Team    SA Team
Maerlande      Lilli
Shovah         Thedemon
Lourdes   vs   Buildscharacter
Executor       Flavahbeast
AWildPanda     Schneeble
Ohlmann        Irony.or.Death
Here are the final teams drafted.

Team Desura: Utgard, Bogarus, Patala, T'ien Ch'i, Ulm, Agartha
Team Awful: Mictlan, Midgard, C'tis, Atlantis, Gath, Man

I would love to see how this plays out. I don't imagine you guys are doing a whole big Let's Play deal out of it, but will there be anyone anywhere describing this match in any detail?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Hey, I remember someone mentioning that provinces no longer give gold/gem income to you if they aren't connected to a fort by a chain of other provinces; is that accurate, or am I having some sort of false memory?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

sullat posted:

Hey, I remember someone mentioning that provinces no longer give gold/gem income to you if they aren't connected to a fort by a chain of other provinces; is that accurate, or am I having some sort of false memory?

Yes it is. It is mostly relevant in the early game, when you have only one fort, because it means if an enemy besieges your cap you get no income whatsoever and only your cap gem income, meaning you can have quite a few provinces left but no income or hope of survival.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They don't give gold, not sure about gems. Certain commanders have "tax collector" that removes the requirement.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

nothing to seehere posted:

Yes it is. It is mostly relevant in the early game, when you have only one fort, because it means if an enemy besieges your cap you get no income whatsoever and only your cap gem income, meaning you can have quite a few provinces left but no income or hope of survival.

Ok, cool. I cut some guy's capitol off from the rest f his empire, so even though I lost the battle in front of his gates, knowing that he won't get any income from the hinterlands warms the cockles of my heart and takes away the sting of the defeat.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Microcline posted:

\/\/\/ Wait, the defender gets a DRN but the caster only gets a drn?

both get a DRN

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

goatface posted:

They don't give gold, not sure about gems. Certain commanders have "tax collector" that removes the requirement.

Gems are the same, but lab instead of fort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

A human player will never be using hundreds of men in a human wave attack. They will just use a W9 bless.

• Locked thread