Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Are they just getting all the labels made and doing a major weekly dump to the couriers on Friday or Saturday or are they sending them off a day at a time Daedleh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
They're sending them off a day at a time. The last of the US ones should leave today and any stragglers tomorrow.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
My shipment didnt even include any of the 4 landing zones I paid for :(

Are you guys planning to glue the terrain together? I was considering not for modularitys sake but then the taking it apart and putting it back together will most likely ruin any paint you put on it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I was going to wait and see if there was any chance of me being able to assemble and disassemble them easily without breaking the connectors first, and if I could do that then take a look and see if there was a way I could paint them so that they still looked good but none of the bits that would rub or scratch would have paint on them.

Pretty idealistic, but waiting for box in hand first, it's currently doing the local time zone dance across the US, still in Louisville I believe, via Philadelphia, Koeln and Castle Donnington. Not my record though, I once ordered a book from amazon.co.uk that originated in Scotland, and went through England and Germany before hitting 8 different nodes in the US on its way to Sydney and then Adelaide.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Had my first play around assembling some of the DZ terrain this morning, those connectors vary massively between 'just pushes straight in' and 'this mother will never go all the way'

Also, it's nigh on impossible to get the tight ones anywhere close to 'in' when you're sticking the piece on top of another assembled piece.

I'm tempted to just slap some polystyrene cement on the joints - that'll soften them up enough that I'll be able to push them all the way. I can't honestly say whether or not I'm all that keen on keeping all of the terrain in pieces and building what I want whenever I need it.. so gluing seems the easiest option, anyone have any thoughts on this?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

enri posted:

anyone have any thoughts on this?

I did some cut and pre-assembly lastnight, I think I am going to be gluing, but also using magnets for the ceiling parts so that I can get stuff in and out easily and make larger structures from it.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

LumberingTroll posted:

I did some cut and pre-assembly lastnight, I think I am going to be gluing, but also using magnets for the ceiling parts so that I can get stuff in and out easily and make larger structures from it.

Yea I'm thinking glue is definitely the way forward, unless there's some knack to these connectors that I've not sussed out yet. To be honest, I was pushing down with the point of my clippers on the tougher ones and they still weren't going all the way so I don't think there is a knack.

Not a massive problem. I've got enough panels to make a decent selection of terrain to pick and choose from :)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Would running them under super-hot water work? Like with bones or Mantic restic?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I got my christmas crazy box in today! This was the total haul:

• Big Mech
  • Anne-Marie Helder
  • 5x Forge Fathers
  • Marauder Grunt Command Sprue
  • 10x Elves on sprue
  • Marauder Raptor
  • LOKA King
  • Marauder commando and goblin sniper
  • 2 Rebs (Yndji and Sorak I think)
  • 3x Ogres
  • 10 Basilean Men-at-arms
  • Elf poster

All in all, not bad. I was kinda hoping for one of the Forge Father cannons or more undead, but what'ya gonna do?

I don't know that I'll ever use the elves for anything, nor Helder, so maybe I'll just trade them with people who do want them.

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
I too received my christmas crazy box today and could do with some help identifying what exactly I have as Dreadball is my only real Mantic thing right now. The Big Mech and Anne-Marie I recognize but the rest of this is alien to me.

One sprue of these elf looking fellas with bows.

These big buggers.

Three big guys with swords and shields.

Two of these sprues of what look like men with spears/shields.

This tree lookin lady.

Two little scamp lookin motherfuckers, one with goat horns and one with what looks like a laser gun.

And 5 of what I can only assume are some form of space dwarf.

All in all considering the dreadball bits were 15 quid alone I think it's a pretty good deal. Now to persuade myself not to buy more.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Sledra posted:

I too received my christmas crazy box today and could do with some help identifying what exactly I have as Dreadball is my only real Mantic thing right now. The Big Mech and Anne-Marie I recognize but the rest of this is alien to me.

One sprue of these elf looking fellas with bows.

These big buggers.

Three big guys with swords and shields.

Two of these sprues of what look like men with spears/shields.

This tree lookin lady.

Two little scamp lookin motherfuckers, one with goat horns and one with what looks like a laser gun.

And 5 of what I can only assume are some form of space dwarf.

All in all considering the dreadball bits were 15 quid alone I think it's a pretty good deal. Now to persuade myself not to buy more.

1. Elves from KoW.
2. Marauder command sprue from Warpath
3. Ogres from KoW
4. Basilean Men-at-arms
5. LOKA queen from the LOKA board game
6. Reps models from Deadzone.
7. Forge Fathers from Warpath

You got almost the exact same stuff as me. I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being the norm for a bunch of people.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Probably one or two people in a room, taking one thing out of all the nearest boxes until they ran out, before replacing them and moving on. Be interesting to line up all the boxes they made in a row in order and see if there's a pattern that fades in and out.

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
Thanks for that Slimnoid, by my estimations this is like somewhere in the £40 worth of little plastic mans so I am a-ok with that.

Could've done with some bases though :(

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Sledra posted:

Thanks for that Slimnoid, by my estimations this is like somewhere in the £40 worth of little plastic mans so I am a-ok with that.

Could've done with some bases though :(

If it's any consolation, I didn't get any bases either.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I read up on previous years before buying, and apparently no bases is always a thing

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
Is the model scale the same across the whole range, as in are fantasy dwarves the same size as space dwarves? Because these ogres are loving massive and it's brilliant.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Sledra posted:

Is the model scale the same across the whole range, as in are fantasy dwarves the same size as space dwarves? Because these ogres are loving massive and it's brilliant.

Yes and no. The model scale is the same across the whole range... except for the dwarfs you've got! They're a little shorter than the regular dwarfs but not by a huge margin. They were one of Mantics first restic kits and they discovered that the plastic shrinks ~5-10%. They've since started sculpting everything slightly bigger to compensate but hadn't got that part nailed down when they did the original space dorfs.

But yeah the Ogres are loving amazing.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

moths posted:

Would running them under super-hot water work? Like with bones or Mantic restic?

They're injection molded hard plastic, so I don't think so. I'm kind of disappointed with the connectors, personally. For the amount of other pieces in the strike zone package, I think it should have probably come with a 3rd sprue of them, especially since they're fairly easy to break on disassembly.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Hoping I get some Ogres and Dorfs of the space or fantasy persuasion.

An insight into international shipping to Australia:

My Deadzone package with UPS has gone Nottingham -> Castle Donnington -> Koeln -> Philadelphia -> Louisville -> Honolulu -> Sydney (Botany) -> Melbourne, where it quickly cleared customs 40 minutes ago -> in transit now to me in Adelaide.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Definitely gluing mine.

In the studio scenery, they have broken windows in there. I think I can cut triangles and glue them to the interior easy enough, but any rhoughts on how to make it look nice on both sides?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Feeple posted:

Definitely gluing mine.

In the studio scenery, they have broken windows in there. I think I can cut triangles and glue them to the interior easy enough, but any rhoughts on how to make it look nice on both sides?

Broken windows are easy, just clear plastic from things like blister packs or those annoying-as-poo poo plastic containers you need knives to cut open. Be careful not to use glue that gives off fumes, as that can fog up the plastic; super glue usually does this, but not all brands. Plastic glue should be a safe enough bet, or white glue I guess.

If you want them to look nice on both sides, you'd need to set the glass inside the frame. Simple if it's a two-piece, but not with Deadzone, so you'd need to score a thin 'slot' on the insides of the window frames and set the clear plastic in it. Rather finicky, so be sure to have some tweezers on hand.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Daedleh, do you know what it is that Mantic's doing to help us handful of Canadians that got screwed by Fed Ex? If it's just relaying the proper price, I'll likely bite the bullet, find the price myself and pay the extra fees to save time. Really hoping we can just get it released somehow so I'm not shelling out for power of attorney fees AND customs fees. Not to mention the pain in the rear end trip out to the airport (with a 4+ hour wait once you're there others have said) just to pick it up. Mind you I'm more annoyed at customs than Mantic since they love making you pay extra, but I have to say it's an arse dealing with this so close to christmas.

Slimnoid posted:

Broken windows are easy, just clear plastic from things like blister packs or those annoying-as-poo poo plastic containers you need knives to cut open. Be careful not to use glue that gives off fumes, as that can fog up the plastic; super glue usually does this, but not all brands. Plastic glue should be a safe enough bet, or white glue I guess.

If you want them to look nice on both sides, you'd need to set the glass inside the frame. Simple if it's a two-piece, but not with Deadzone, so you'd need to score a thin 'slot' on the insides of the window frames and set the clear plastic in it. Rather finicky, so be sure to have some tweezers on hand.

I ran into the fogging problem a few years ago when I scratch built some ork buggies. It's easy enough to fix though if you can apply a damp cloth to the affected side I found. Mind that using super glue near the glass, not just on it, can end up creating the fog effect too. If you can get a large piece of clear plastic, just scratch some cracks with your exacto knife if you want a cracked but not shattered look.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Got my pile o' Deadzone. This massive box of unlabelled plastic is going to take some time to sort through.

e: I'm in Canada, and got my stuff via FedEx and it seemed to go fine (aside from missing the delivery while I was at work and having to schlep off to a depot to get the box) - what happened with them?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Mine's scheduled for Monday... and someone will actually be home to sign for it! :toot:

NTRabbit, January may be a good time to offer up those prizes - I think a lot of people could probably use a push to get their stuff started.

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!

£20 worth of little mans (aside from the Salamander tucked in the back for scale), can't complain. Except for bows on sprues, I fuckin hate bows on sprues they're always so fiddly.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Half the marauders and one baggie of plague are assembled, a building is half done.

Holy moly, there's a lot of cleaning on the figs, and getting some of the connectors to work has been Hell on my fingers.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Daedleh, do you know what it is that Mantic's doing to help us handful of Canadians that got screwed by Fed Ex? If it's just relaying the proper price, I'll likely bite the bullet, find the price myself and pay the extra fees to save time. Really hoping we can just get it released somehow so I'm not shelling out for power of attorney fees AND customs fees. Not to mention the pain in the rear end trip out to the airport (with a 4+ hour wait once you're there others have said) just to pick it up. Mind you I'm more annoyed at customs than Mantic since they love making you pay extra, but I have to say it's an arse dealing with this so close to christmas.

Got the answer back from Mantic which is not to do anything yet! They've not been able to get any of the (very few) packages which have been held up released yet but are hopeful they'll be able to without incurring import charges.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Are you writing up a guide on how to achieve that look? Because that's exactly how I want mine to look.

Because they're fantastic.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

So, potentially stupid question: going by the description, buying this means I could assemble both a cannon and a support platform of two different types, right?

moths posted:

Are you writing up a guide on how to achieve that look? Because that's exactly how I want mine to look.

That looks like a bone color with a selective wash of brown, with a grey sponged on the edges for a worn look. Possibly with some weathering powder on the grey floor sections.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Slimnoid posted:

So, potentially stupid question: going by the description, buying this means I could assemble both a cannon and a support platform of two different types, right?

quote:

This kit can make either a Surtr Heavy Heat-Cannon and Jotunn Support Platform OR a Jotunn Heavy Hailstorm cannon and a Surtr Heavy Heat-Cannon Support Platform

Yes but you only get one of each gun

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Phoon posted:

Yes but you only get one of each gun

That works for me. I was going to pick up the Hailstorm cannon but for 5 bux more I may as well get the platform and heat cannon as well.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Hoping I get some Ogres and Dorfs of the space or fantasy persuasion.

An insight into international shipping to Australia:

My Deadzone package with UPS has gone Nottingham -> Castle Donnington -> Koeln -> Philadelphia -> Louisville -> Honolulu -> Sydney (Botany) -> Melbourne, where it quickly cleared customs 40 minutes ago -> in transit now to me in Adelaide.

I'm waiting for my Deadzone in Adelaide too. I'll be playing with friends but hopefully there'll be some clubs or stores that attempt to build up a scene for it. Tell me if you know of any.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Slimnoid posted:

That looks like a bone color with a selective wash of brown, with a grey sponged on the edges for a worn look. Possibly with some weathering powder on the grey floor sections.

That's pretty much what I was thinking.

I'd considering using bone color enamel spray, picking out metal bits by brush, washing it with a mixture of polyshade and mineral spirits, sponging on grey and then hitting the whole thing with matte sealer. And maybe complimenting those structures with a few sprues based sprayed olive-green?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Courier arrived while I was in the shower, the only 15 minutes of the day nobody was able to answer the door. Fortunately, the resounding thump I heard was him putting the box over the side gate and into the yard, no need to arrange a pick up from the depot! Now I can head out and run some quick errands, then come home and unbox it before work.

AgentF posted:

I'm waiting for my Deadzone in Adelaide too. I'll be playing with friends but hopefully there'll be some clubs or stores that attempt to build up a scene for it. Tell me if you know of any.

I don't even know of any stores full stop, let alone ones who'll play it, I'm still new to wargaming. I know some clubs exist, I'll have to investigate them.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

moths posted:

This stuff base: http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/winsor-and-newton-galleria-acrylic-paint-in-yellow-ochre/565592-1054

Drybrushed to this: http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/winsor-and-newton-galleria-acrylic-paint-in-buff-titanium/565592-1047

I sponge weathered with vallejo german grey and then used modelmates' rust effect which is loving awesome stuff.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

I got my Christmas box in over the weekend. Still no Deadzone but Fedex should be holding it at their location by my office so I can grab it on the way home. On to the box!
I got:
10 Elf Archers
10 Basilean Men at Arms
3 Ogre Warriors
5 Stormrage Vets
1 Dreadball Mech
1 Anne Marie
1 Marauder command sprue
1 Marauder Raptor
1 Pack of deadzone figs with the two gun marauder and kneeling goblin sniper plus a random plague guy head (flattop)
1 Pack of Deadzone figs with an Yndij and Sorak.
1 weird loka Centaur lookin guy

A pretty good haul. Anybody interested in trading their Ogres for something?

AgentF
May 11, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

I don't even know of any stores full stop, let alone ones who'll play it, I'm still new to wargaming. I know some clubs exist, I'll have to investigate them.

I'm a member of Group North Wargaming Club. I might try to get something started there and I'll tell you if it takes off.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

AgentF posted:

I'm a member of Group North Wargaming Club. I might try to get something started there and I'll tell you if it takes off.

Cheers :tipshat:

Just finished my inventory of the enormous box, ended up

+1 Terrain Sprue 4.1 (Landing Pad)
+1 Terrain Sprue 5.1 (Fortifications)
+1 1st Gen, the specialist part of the booster bundle is identical to the basic Plague HQ bag minus the 1st Gen and I guess they just didn't bother taking him out
-12 Accessory Sprue - none of the exxtra battlezone freebies or add ons I bought came, only the 4 in the retail box
-1 Rebs human Missile Launcher head (Proper headcounts are always important)
-1 Boomer, Hobgoblin Grenadier
-1 Dreadball MVP
-4 White Dice

Pretty sure I also ended up with way more 40mm bases than I was supposed to get, but who is either counting or complaining?

Also slightly concerned about my Wrath, is his pistol arm supposed to be that thin and weedy looking, or did I get a miscast?

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 16, 2013

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Boomer is second shipment and I think everybody is missing dice. The retail box comes with less than the pledge amount or something and they forgot to put the extras in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mind me, nothing to see here.