Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrunkYardGnome
Jul 8, 2010
Aren't there actual mech techs in the game? Or did I make that up somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Shotgun
Apr 28, 2007

Forget the hip surgery, get some rope!
so I got my bolter in game, complete with exploding rounds

Needs a bit of balancing but it works! Also going to swap out the ammo type (right now I'm just using default explosive rounds) to something that looks less like a grenade

Now I just need to finish reskinning the space marine armor and then... chainsword? maybe

Combat Shotgun fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 13, 2013

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, gassing up the space car gets pretty dull after the first time. It's nothing but pointless busywork.
Once you start seeing significant quantities of uranium and other things good only for fueling it, it's not a big deal if you stop and spend a few seconds grabbing them if you see them.

This is about where the current stuff trails off into Mishmash Tier, though.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Combat Shotgun posted:

Needs a bit of balancing but it works! Also going to swap out the ammo type (right now I'm just using default explosive rounds) to something that looks less like a grenade

Bolter rounds ARE grenades tho! Looks good to me.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Combat Shotgun posted:

so I got my bolter in game, complete with exploding rounds

Now I just need to finish reskinning the space marine armor and then... chainsword? maybe

Chainsword + bolt pistol for two fisted smashing of heresy :)

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

Kikas posted:

So how can I check which character data belongs to which character? I have only one save, but 3 sets of character data files in the "player" folder, and I want to try out the Sandbox Ship mod.

Open the "PLAYER" file in notepad and search for the character's name using Ctrl+F.

Combat Shotgun
Apr 28, 2007

robziel posted:

Chainsword + bolt pistol for two fisted smashing of heresy :)

Yeah, making a boltpistol will be easy because the bolter is in place, I might just be lazy and set the bolter to 1-handed though

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I don't understand how to make mods work. Everything has a different install readme and absolutely none of them have done anything so far. Sometimes it tells me to put stuff in 'Starbound/mods', sometimes 'Starbound/assets/mods', sometimes I have to balance on one leg while patting my head and rubbing my tummy and man I just don't get it. Do I have to make a new character for mods to show up? That kinda sucks if so.

To install a mod, make a mods folder somewhere (I put it in Starbound/MODS). Whatever the mod maker tells you, you can pretty much just put the mods in that folder. So if you have a mod called "Super Flashlight" you would have a folder in Starbound/MODS/Super Flashlight with all the asset files. Within each mod's folder, there should be a chain of folders for each asset file that mirrors where you would put it in your Starbound/assets folder if it where a normal item. So for a flashlight mod you would have some assets in Starbound/MODS/Super Flashlight/items/tools. If you make the flashlight with a recipe at the crafting table you would also find Starbound/MODS/Super Flashlight/recipes/starter/crafting table. It is highly recommended that you do not put modded files directly into Starbound/assets, especially if they overwrite a default item. If you do put them in your assets folder, it will be more difficult to turn the individual mod on/off.

In order to tell the game to use these files you have to add them to your bootstraps.config file which can be found under Starbound/win32 (or linux32, linux64, whatever your OS is). The default file looks like this:
code:
{
  "assetSources" : [
    "../assets"
  ],
  "storageDirectory" : ".."
}
You need to add the new mod's folder to the assetSources list like so, remembering to add a comma at the end of all but the last list item:
code:
{
  "assetSources" : [
    "../assets",
    "../MODS/Super Flashlight"
  ],
  "storageDirectory" : ".."
}
To turn a mod off, simply delete the folder location from your bootstrap.config file.

Lastly, if the mod includes things that are added to a character at generation, such as starting recipes, you will need to make a new character to activate them. Once people start to learn how to mod better they will add stuff like modding one or more of the ingredients for their new items to add the recipe to your character when the ingredient is picked up, thus allowing old characters to access the new recipes.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Combat Shotgun posted:

Yeah, making a boltpistol will be easy because the bolter is in place, I might just be lazy and set the bolter to 1-handed though

Now make a Space Marine race that is six blocks tall and three wide. :v:

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Combat Shotgun posted:

A power fist that can tear down walled structures easily.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Orv posted:

Doors are 5 blocks tall, good luck with that.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

One of my favorite things about Thaumcraft was the furnace that had multiple input and output slots. Like, you could come home, upend your ores into the furnace, and it would churn away smelting everything you gave it, one stack after another.

It kind of looks like Starbound modding doesn't allow for screwing with behaviors that much, though. Is that accurate?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

CJacobs posted:

While in the mech:
-Press W to fire rockets
-Press A to fire rockets
-Press S to fire rockets
-Press D to fire rockets
-Press space to destroy the city (again)

And F to FIRE ALL THE ROCKETS

Combat Shotgun
Apr 28, 2007

Machai posted:

Doors are 5 blocks tall, good luck with that.

MARINES DON'T NEED DOORS.

Orv posted:

If I was going to do this I would skip the marine and go straight to a terminator with a powerfist

Ulvirich posted:

A power fist that can tear down walled structures easily.

Exactly! Is there fist weapons in this game at all? That might actually be doable.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Machai posted:

To install a mod, etc.

Thank you, that clears things up. Sucks that it has to be done that way for now but hopefully someone will figure out a workaround so mods can be dropped on existing dudes.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

LordSaturn posted:

One of my favorite things about Thaumcraft was the furnace that had multiple input and output slots. Like, you could come home, upend your ores into the furnace, and it would churn away smelting everything you gave it, one stack after another.

It kind of looks like Starbound modding doesn't allow for screwing with behaviors that much, though. Is that accurate?

Speaking of this, do not put stuff in the smelter and leave your ship as the stuff will vanish.

Combat Shotgun
Apr 28, 2007

Machai posted:

Lastly, if the mod includes things that are added to a character at generation, such as starting recipes, you will need to make a new character to activate them. Once people start to learn how to mod better they will add stuff like modding one or more of the ingredients for their new items to add the recipe to your character when the ingredient is picked up, thus allowing old characters to access the new recipes.

Is this true? With all the stuff I've been modding I just added it as a unlocked tier 1 crafting recipe to player.config and it worked on all my existing characters. If I messed with the item after the fact I would have to re-craft it but it still worked.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ColHannibal posted:

Speaking of this, do not put stuff in the smelter and leave your ship as the stuff will vanish.

I've left stuff in my smelter and left the ship before. All that happens is it pauses the smelting.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've left stuff in my smelter and left the ship before. All that happens is it pauses the smelting.

Well I lost stuff, so its a bad practice.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

ColHannibal posted:

poo poo, really? I knew that it would stop smelting when you left, but I assumed that I'd already taken my ingots out. :downs:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ColHannibal posted:

Well I lost stuff, so its a bad practice.

You should check if that's reproducible and report it as a bug. :shobon:

KoB
May 1, 2009

Doc Dee posted:

Found a Pulse Jump tech on my starting planet, is there anything I have to do aside from eat the blueprint and go back up to my ship to use it? It doesn't seem to want to let me equip it.

Eat Tech
Go to Techs on ship
Lock it in
Open Inventory
Select Tech
Double Jump.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
While I love the lantern on a stick, I'd really love it more if it looked like the hiker's backpack with a lantern hanging off of it :3:.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Is there any armor after platinum? I've got a full plat set and L10 planets still oneshot me, but I can't find any upgrades

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

KoB posted:

Eat Tech
Go to Techs on ship
Lock it in
Open Inventory
Select Tech
Double Jump.
The third step is the key one. To lock a tech in, you select it from the list on the left, then you click the "Lock In" button under the slot you want it to occupy on the right. Took me about two minutes to figure out, so I'm mentioning it.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

MrTheDevious posted:

Is there any armor after platinum? I've got a full plat set and L10 planets still oneshot me, but I can't find any upgrades

For some reason Aegisalt at least shows up in the crafting table.

KoB
May 1, 2009

sword_man.gif posted:

Everything after Platinum is on the robo-Table.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

LordSaturn posted:

I'm sure you could, it just wouldn't be as obscenely easy as other things are. Source files game content are stored in easy to read/edit formats like .png and plaintext, and they're laid out in a well organized, easy to navigate way. Doing something like making a new item or weapon or monster requires basically zero programming knowledge.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

sword_man.gif posted:

Oh I still haven't even found any of that ore, guess that'd be it, thanks!

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
Does anyone have a link to the make your own spaceship mod? I wasn't able to find a download but maybe I'm dumb and haven't slept enough. :downs:

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

The Mattybee posted:

Does anyone have a link to the make your own spaceship mod? I wasn't able to find a download but maybe I'm dumb and haven't slept enough. :downs:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/fully-customizable-ship.39/

That's the one I'm using, seems to work fine other than people in multiplayer can destroy the whole thing and cause you to fall endlessly through space when you beam up from a planet :v:

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

MrTheDevious posted:

You want TL5 for it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Combat Shotgun posted:

Everyone gets True Grit. Hooray!

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

MrTheDevious posted:

Aegisalt is on TL5 worlds in Sector X.
Cerulium is on TL7 worlds in Sector X.
Rubium is on TL9 worlds in Sector X.

Each of them have a tech upgrade, but you need to purchase the Durasteel Tech Upgrade first. Durasteel is broken (it works if you modify a file, I think? It just doesn't show up until then).

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

XboxPants posted:

I'm sure you could, it just wouldn't be as obscenely easy as other things are. Source files game content are stored in easy to read/edit formats like .png and plaintext, and they're laid out in a well organized, easy to navigate way. Doing something like making a new item or weapon or monster requires basically zero programming knowledge.

At the moment making functional blocks like is pretty limited, compared with, say, MC's Tile Entities. From what I remember, the main reasons for this are a lack of a good way to transfer information between contexts (the Lua global table _G doesn't seem to exist, for example) and limited or no access to the states of other objects.

A solid collection of hooks would be nice too.

The API is still forthcoming, so I'm cautiously optimistic on that front. But for the moment, asset replacement, numbers tweaks, extra recipes, and new blocks that use old block functionality (putting new recipes on a reskinned refinery, for example) are all pretty easy.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Now that I'm starting to get some data into my form, I'm going to start work on a rudimentary search page, so you can ask for, say, airships in Delta sector and get a list of the relevant planets. I'll keep you posted with any developments!

(it turns out it's pretty easy to suck down a Google Doc spreadsheet as a CSV file. Mix in a little cron and PHP and this should be pretty quick)

E:

So, I'm a dumbass and forgot to have a field in the form for biome data. This has been fixed!

DopeGhoti fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 13, 2013

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
The more I play the more I'm bothered by one thing.

I like that planets have a lot of color variety. You'll have different shades of sand, dirt, cobblestone, etc. That's great, it makes everything feel a little less samey. The thing that sucks about that is that the different shades of blocks are all separate items, meaning they don't stack together.

Granted this gets into serious crazy wishlist category, but what if we had blocks in the inventory all stack, but we could cycle the color of a block between ones we have collected with the press of a button?

It would be nice not to have 10 different kinds of sandstone blocks.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Anyone know whether it's possible to find Jungle worlds in Alpha Sector? I love Jungle worlds for their massive amount of wood and resources, and I want to dig up/smelt vast quantities of coal so I don't have to worry about it any more. Problem is I can't find any Jungles in Alpha Sector. Do they only come about in Beta or am I just unlucky?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

shymog posted:

The more I play the more I'm bothered by one thing.

I like that planets have a lot of color variety. You'll have different shades of sand, dirt, cobblestone, etc. That's great, it makes everything feel a little less samey. The thing that sucks about that is that the different shades of blocks are all separate items, meaning they don't stack together.

Granted this gets into serious crazy wishlist category, but what if we had blocks in the inventory all stack, but we could cycle the color of a block between ones we have collected with the press of a button?

It would be nice not to have 10 different kinds of sandstone blocks.

You shoulda been here for the Great Dirt Discussion of 2013.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrunkYardGnome
Jul 8, 2010

Purple Prince posted:

Anyone know whether it's possible to find Jungle worlds in Alpha Sector? I love Jungle worlds for their massive amount of wood and resources, and I want to dig up/smelt vast quantities of coal so I don't have to worry about it any more. Problem is I can't find any Jungles in Alpha Sector. Do they only come about in Beta or am I just unlucky?

I feel like they only come up in the later sectors (beta, gamma, etc). So you might just have to wait. I agree, I love jungles because of the frequency with which you can get plant fibers for bandages.

Does anyone have the coordinates for a cape or scroll, something neat I can put on my back social slot to cover up this janky lantern on a stick?

• Locked thread