Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Justin Godscock posted:

Yeah, the CG itself isn't a problem (obviously it needs some sharpening up, but that's expected) but the lighting, camera and even the colors look like a video game cutscene.

I wonder when videogames will have been with us long enough that this will be seen as a legitimate aesthetic which cinematographers can pursue intentionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
This Spider-Man movie looks like a loving comic book!!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

McSpanky posted:

I wonder when videogames will have been with us long enough that this will be seen as a legitimate aesthetic which cinematographers can pursue intentionally.

The problem is that a shot which is actually immersive in an interactive game can look weird in a non-interactive medium.

Like the shot with the camera behind spiderman angling down incredibly and focusing on the incoming electro attack would look great if you were playing a third person spiderman video game. Look out, QTE!

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 8, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

McSpanky posted:

It's already a thing. I mean, that POV shot in ASM 1 was entirely based off the game Mirror's Edge. The trouble is, as pointed out, first-person doesn't usually 'immerse' in film, because the audience doesn't control the camera. There's a total disconnect between where you want to look and where the camera is actually pointing. It's something exploited in films like Maniac in order to make people extremely uncomfortable - but ASM breaks it out for the scenes where Spidey is totally in the zone and feeling good.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just saw the trailer for the new Spider man and it looks like 2 movies put together. Really badass, but how are they going to cover electro guy, mecha rhino, and what looks like the origins of the green goblin, Peter's dad's secret past, AND the terrible romantic plot in one movie? Fingers crossed, because the action scenes I just saw were nuts.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

GOT VIRUS FROM MP3 posted:

I just saw the trailer for the new Spider man and it looks like 2 movies put together. Really badass, but how are they going to cover electro guy, mecha rhino, and what looks like the origins of the green goblin, Peter's dad's secret past, AND the terrible romantic plot in one movie? Fingers crossed, because the action scenes I just saw were nuts.

I figure the movie opens with a brief fight against pre-Rhino Giamatti, then Peter meets Harry who shows him what's going on with Oscorp stalking Peter who then goes "OK why are they interested in me and/or my dad". He talks with Aunt May and this leads him to his dad's research and some Oscorp revelations. He goes to Oscorp where pre-Electro Foxx is probably involved in some of the shady poo poo which Peter/Spider-Man doesn't like and maybe he busts up the place a bit or chews them out. Meanwhile because Peter/Spider-Man is getting too close, Rhino shows up possibly having been aided by the Osborns to get revenge. Also meanwhile I'm guessing Harry wanted Peter to look into his father's past so that he could tail Peter and finally find the Richard Parker motherlode. With the research in hand, Oscorp can now move on to creating supervillains, like say a patsy/rube like Foxx. He gets out of hand or maybe Harry just wants a piece of the action himself and goes into Goblin mode. After a fight between Electro and Spider-Man the finale can be an Electro-Goblin team-up which maybe leads to some bad news for Harry or Gwen.

This isn't how it has to go because it's always funny looking back at people's speculation once the movie is out so I don't have full confidence but with 2.5 hours or whatever I think all the points you mention can fit quite well and fit together.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Lobok posted:

I figure the movie opens with a brief fight against pre-Rhino Giamatti, then Peter meets Harry who shows him what's going on with Oscorp stalking Peter who then goes "OK why are they interested in me and/or my dad". He talks with Aunt May and this leads him to his dad's research and some Oscorp revelations. He goes to Oscorp where pre-Electro Foxx is probably involved in some of the shady poo poo which Peter/Spider-Man doesn't like and maybe he busts up the place a bit or chews them out. Meanwhile because Peter/Spider-Man is getting too close, Rhino shows up possibly having been aided by the Osborns to get revenge. Also meanwhile I'm guessing Harry wanted Peter to look into his father's past so that he could tail Peter and finally find the Richard Parker motherlode. With the research in hand, Oscorp can now move on to creating supervillains, like say a patsy/rube like Foxx. He gets out of hand or maybe Harry just wants a piece of the action himself and goes into Goblin mode. After a fight between Electro and Spider-Man the finale can be an Electro-Goblin team-up which maybe leads to some bad news for Harry or Gwen.

This isn't how it has to go because it's always funny looking back at people's speculation once the movie is out so I don't have full confidence but with 2.5 hours or whatever I think all the points you mention can fit quite well and fit together.

That's pretty much how I'm picturing it, except I imagine the Mecha-Rhino showing up at the very end, but definitely brought in by Norman/Harry to help take out Peter.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

McSpanky posted:

There were moments in Crank where it felt just like a video game. At the moment, kind of the closest thing to GTA the movie.

Since I haven't chimed in yet, HOLY gently caress I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS MOVIE.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ExplodingSquid posted:

There were moments in Crank where it felt just like a video game. At the moment, kind of the closest thing to Saints Row 2 the movie.

Fixed that for you.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The first movie was awesome, the new trailer is awesome. Can't wait to watch the sequel!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

GOT VIRUS FROM MP3 posted:

I just saw the trailer for the new Spider man and it looks like 2 movies put together. Really badass, but how are they going to cover electro guy, mecha rhino, and what looks like the origins of the green goblin, Peter's dad's secret past, AND the terrible romantic plot in one movie?

I thought ASM handled the romantic plot elements really well. Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield were really good.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So good that they fell in love offset.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vintersorg posted:

So good that they fell in love offset.

Have you looked at those two? It'd be kind of hard not to, they're disgustingly adorable.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Rhyno posted:

Have you looked at those two? It'd be kind of hard not to, they're disgustingly adorable.

Dress by Venom.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bushisms.txt posted:

Dress by Venom.

Suit by Carnage.

I'd love them to tell a symbiote story.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
That's the worst euphemism I've heard in a long while.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

bushisms.txt posted:

Dress by Venom.

Jesus she is pale.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Dexo posted:

Jesus she is pale.

To be fair, she's wearing a lot of black and bright red lipstick, that tends to wash people out.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's the worst euphemism I've heard in a long while.

Moi? I was actually being serious :dance:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Crossposting from BSS:

Sony has announced that they are planning not only a Venom movie, but also one for the Sinister Six. They have hired Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, Jeff Pinkner, Ed Solomon, and Drew Goddard to work on these movies, with Kurtzman possibly directing Venom and Goddard directing Sinister Six.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Crossposting from BSS:

Sony has announced that they are planning not only a Venom movie, but also one for the Sinister Six. They have hired Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, Jeff Pinkner, Ed Solomon, and Drew Goddard to work on these movies, with Kurtzman possibly directing Venom and Goddard directing Sinister Six.

If they base Sinister Six on the current Superior Foes of Spider-Man series I'll buy all the tickets.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Crossposting from BSS:

Alright, just a couple dozen more superhero movies and I think I'm good to go.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If Sinister Six isn't based on the current Superior Foes run I really wonder what the gently caress that movie will be. A movie focusing on a lizard man, a man made of electricity, a man in a rhino suit, a teenage goblin, an old guy in a vulture outfit, and a guy with metal tentacles teaming up to do...what? If it's "kill Spider-Man" then why is it not just Spider-Man 4? What could their goal possibly be and who will be the main protagonist?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That list of names reads like they sought out everyone associated with JJ Abrams' productions except Abrams himself.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

A Sinister Six movie without Spider-Man involved could be really interesting, as long as they don't do some sort of "a bigger, badder threat makes them be good guys!" ...or actually, you know, I'd probably even be onboard for that.

The idea of getting a movie that focuses heavily on these middle-aged supervillains(Spidey villains are almost always like 40 or older) being a dysfunctional team sounds like it could be a lot of fun. I'm really curious how they'll handle it. It would be a really weird twist on the Avengers movie formula, with a bunch of these guys that don't deserve any praise or glory trying to get their poo poo together. As opposed to these big wish-fulfillment characters all teaming up to look pretty next to one another.

The Venom movie is a no-brainer though, I just wonder if they'll do a proper Symbiote Spider-Man storyline before doing it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Maybe the main character of Sinister Six will be Harry Osborn.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I feel like the obvious setup here is going to be something like this:

- ASM2 gives us most of the Sinister Six, Green Goblin probably kills Gwen? is this even a spoiler Peter gets the symbiote (that his parents developed for Oscorp, like in the Ultimate universe from the comics, so no space aliens this time) and we end on a consumed-with-grief Symbiote Spider-Man suiting up and looking over the city or whatever.

- ASM3 gives us symbiote Spidey encountering some other Sinister Six members (Shocker and Vulture or something) and trashing them, they're just sort of cannon fodder alongside the Eddie Brock stuff and Venom is your finale. Or maybe just a teaser for Venom at the end and the finale is Peter overcoming the symbiote? Hard to know, but if they're doing Venom as a solo film they'll have to set it up here.

- Venom solo film has him transition from monster to 'lethal protector', since people love Venom. You can't just make him a bad guy and kill him, Sony's already learned that.

- Sinister Six movie gives us a more relatable look at the villains, lets them establish the backstory of Doc Ock, Vulture, etc without crowding them into 2 or 3. In theory we'll end up with a team of villains people want to root for here.

- ASM4 is basically Spidey and Venom VS Sinister Six. If the Sinister Six movie did it's job this should be characters you like fighting other characters you like and could end up being really interesting.

It seems kind of clearly based off of Marvel's whole setup and execution of the Avengers movies, you establish a connection here and there, flesh things out on their own, and then bring it all together.

I think the only thing that seems really off to me is just that we'll be having the symbiote and Venom thing all go down in the third movie, and I have a feeling that people are going to be pretty reluctant to fall for that combo again.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Kelp Plankton posted:

Green Goblin probably kills Gwen? is this even a spoiler

Tip: It's not a spoiler if you're guessing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Goddamn, that setup sounds amazing and I hope they do something similar to it.

A movie focusing on villains sounds fun as gently caress!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
International trailer with more new footage (potentially spoilerific)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXhv7CoLAOo

I LOVE the chemistry between Peter and Gwen :swoon:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That moment at the end gave me an audible laugh. "I love you don't hate me."

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

International trailer with more new footage (potentially spoilerific)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXhv7CoLAOo

I LOVE the chemistry between Peter and Gwen :swoon:

How he moves towards Electro in that trailer. So baller. So Spider-Man.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I hope the score isn't straight garbage like the last one.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

hiddenriverninja posted:

I hope the score isn't straight garbage like the last one.

Music by Hans Zimmer.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

That moment at the end gave me an audible laugh. "I love you don't hate me."

Her face after yelling "PETER!" was hilarious.

This just confirms that I can't wait for this drat movie to come out.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I really hope the delay on bringing in MJ is cause the chemistry between Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield is so good. They should just pull a Beerfest and have Emma Stone in red hair play MJ and make no mention of the similarities.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

weekly font posted:

I really hope the delay on bringing in MJ is cause the chemistry between Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield is so good. They should just pull a Beerfest and have Emma Stone in red hair play MJ and make no mention of the similarities.

It would be true to the comics when John Romita Sr. drew them looking the same.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The electricity effects are definitely really great, and looks really unique to this film. Though I really do have to make a suspension of disbelief check every time they "miss" him like that. I mean, that's not how electricity works. :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad

BrianWilly posted:

The electricity effects are definitely really great, and looks really unique to this film. Though I really do have to make a suspension of disbelief check every time they "miss" him like that. I mean, that's not how electricity works. :science:

Man shoots electricity from his hands, flies around: OK
Electricity blasts miss Spider-man: woah now, let's be real here

• Locked thread