Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
After that car sat in HBSpeed for a couple years and then Cobb Socal for a couple of years a guy at Cobb bought it the other day. He's pulling the engine and disaster of a wiring harness out (the disaster part happened somewhere between it being sold by Perrin to ending up at HB), and going back to an EJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The SVX motor actually is a better motor for boost, it's known to be stronger - It's harder to get and quite a bit heavier than the 3.0 and maybe the 3.6 tho from what I've read. The Tribeca appeals to me more for the torque aspect and would need less boost to produce meaningful power. As I understand it, to turbo a Subaru H6 you really do need to sleeve the engines and at least partially or fully close the deck if you want to do 15+psi.

My thinking is more to do a torque monster with a turbo better matched to give wide midrange punch and less lag. It's probably a phase 1 idea, where it gets put together, see how well it works, then torn apart and built up again to fix the problems.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Cat Terrist posted:

Time for a few questions...

1) How heavy is a Tribeca motor?
These guys might know if you contact them: http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-07-SUBARU-TRIBECA-ENGINE-3-0L-VIN-8-6TH-DIGIT-1510188-/131046326933

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
H6 swaps are awesome, I wish the next STi would have one.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

The SVX motor actually is a better motor for boost, it's known to be stronger - It's harder to get and quite a bit heavier than the 3.0 and maybe the 3.6 tho from what I've read. The Tribeca appeals to me more for the torque aspect and would need less boost to produce meaningful power. As I understand it, to turbo a Subaru H6 you really do need to sleeve the engines and at least partially or fully close the deck if you want to do 15+psi.

My thinking is more to do a torque monster with a turbo better matched to give wide midrange punch and less lag. It's probably a phase 1 idea, where it gets put together, see how well it works, then torn apart and built up again to fix the problems.

S/C H6?:clint:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Crossed my mind a few times.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

It's fun to day dream and think of Subaru making a luxury sedan and wagon, something with the looks of the new Levorg concept with an upscale interior, the STI 6MT, and either a single turbo or twin turbo H6 to top it off. Something of a grand tourer type.

Would be nice...

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Bajaha posted:

It's fun to day dream and think of Subaru making a luxury sedan and wagon, something with the looks of the new Levorg concept with an upscale interior, the STI 6MT, and either a single turbo or twin turbo H6 to top it off. Something of a grand tourer type.

Would be nice...

It's been done before...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seeing subaru's Concept to production transition, this is what a production levorg would look like.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

That's some sexy sheet metal. :barf:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

In the related videos to that 3.3RS there was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2wilTC5Cs0

He's done a really nice job and I love it :allears:

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Dec 12, 2013

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

My close friend in the Special Forces is on a mission to get me to buy a Crosstrek XV or other Subaru. Went back a bunch of pages and didn't see anything on the CT XV. Anyone with experience using the car want to comment? I own more than 3 flannels now so I feel like I am on the cusp of making this bold decision. If the Legacy didn't have an ugly console, I might already have one of those :'(

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 12, 2013

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

XyrlocShammypants posted:

My close friend in the Special Forces is on a mission to get me to buy a Crosstrek XV or other Subaru. Went back a bunch of pages and didn't see anything on the CT XV. Anyone with experience using the car want to comment? I own more than 3 flannels now so I feel like I am on the cusp of making this bold decision. If the Legacy didn't have an ugly console, I might already have one of those :'(

I really like the XV. It's got fun quirky styling and is a capable little car. I've liked them since they came out and I wasn't disappointed when I finally got to drive one.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
My only gripe is the new impreza and XV is a bit underpowered for its weight, but otherwise it's a great car, super practical and looks fairly nice.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

jamal posted:

After that car sat in HBSpeed for a couple years and then Cobb Socal for a couple of years a guy at Cobb bought it the other day. He's pulling the engine and disaster of a wiring harness out (the disaster part happened somewhere between it being sold by Perrin to ending up at HB), and going back to an EJ.

What I wouldn't do for a turbo six cylinder STi. Well, one that wasn't a total nightmare like Perrin's anyhow.

si
Apr 26, 2004
I never really get people's lust for the twin-turbo H6 or what not. It's been done, and the result is usually underwhelming. Other than the cool factor (similar to things like the old twin-turbo EJ205s, and low-boost EJ253s), I just don't really get it. Pretty much any power/etc goals you're going to want are doable with the existing EJ207/EJ257, and have already been done over and over. If the EG33/EZ30/etc were actually potent, you'd probably already see them being used in GRC or time attack or such.

Now, that said, if you want a just stock motor that you can easily replace with a good torque band, I can see using the EG33. The benefit to it though is just that - you can get a nice motor with good torque and reasonable power you can fairly easily swap in and hopefully replace cheaply, though the EG33 is tough to find these days. The EZ30 should still be pretty OK there.

For anything beyond that, just doesn't make sense. Build an EJ207, EJ22T, or EJ257. Or do some other crazy swap if you want 'big' power. Like the guy who swapped the Buick motor into his Legacy and actually mated it to the AWD trans.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Sudo Echo posted:

In the related videos to that 3.3RS there was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2wilTC5Cs0

He's done a really nice job and I love it :allears:

Why is the video all wavy and warbly? It's kind of making me motion sick.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I've had an XV for about a year now. Overall I like it quite a lot. It's definitely low on power, but not to an insane degree as it does fine getting up to interstate speeds and whatnot. Was there anything particular you wanted to know?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

powderific posted:

I've had an XV for about a year now. Overall I like it quite a lot. It's definitely low on power, but not to an insane degree as it does fine getting up to interstate speeds and whatnot. Was there anything particular you wanted to know?

How is the console in particular as the main issue I have seen in reviews is that the console is very antiquated and touchscreen is really bad. Maybe this is just an exaggeration on their part

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

If we're talking about crazy motor swaps a guy in a local club is putting an LS1 in his Bugeye.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Yakattak posted:

If we're talking about crazy motor swaps a guy in a local club is putting an LS1 in his Bugeye.

I'm pretty sure that's not the crazy he wishes it was. Not without the AWD especially - the Impreza platform is more often than not a failure as a 2WD however you do it. It's jsut a fact that you have to REALLY do some top line engineering to beat out the established way to go quick in an Impreza and a V8 swap just isnt doing it. It is just a complete and utter waste of time.

That said...

quote:

I never really get people's lust for the twin-turbo H6 or what not. It's been done, and the result is usually underwhelming. Other than the cool factor (similar to things like the old twin-turbo EJ205s, and low-boost EJ253s), I just don't really get it. Pretty much any power/etc goals you're going to want are doable with the existing EJ207/EJ257, and have already been done over and over. If the EG33/EZ30/etc were actually potent, you'd probably already see them being used in GRC or time attack or such.

Yes it's been done but you HAVE to engineer well. Most swaps are lacklusture "Gee this will be cool" agonies that just dont reach for anything - it's a LOT of work. Now on the other hand I *have* seen a H6 3.0 TT done well in a GC and it was simply loving mindblowing and it gained a deal more torque and hp than you can reliably get out of a EJ series engine. Hhe H4 has real problems getting over 400Kw reliably, the H6 was pushing this and moreover wasnt trying to destroy itself. You are now seeing in the well engineered H6 3.0's the glimises of 700Kw and more, the H4 cant do this and live for long.

It appears to me that a well engineered H6 3.6 will have huge torque spread that a H4 cant do and be able to do it with a fair bit less boost. Building a bigger engine with a bit more compression and 15psi boost is going to be a very responsive setup, it already is in a 3.0. Going to 3.6 - or even tickling the stroke to 3.8 - has good theoretical advantages for my goals. I also know if I dont sit down, think it through, plan it well and then execute well, it'll end up like 95% of engine swaps, a lacklustre waste of time or going backwards.

One of the problems will actually be for example - the guy I'm talking to to do the engine work and wiring has done a 3.0 TT swap and it cant keep gearboxes in one pieces - STI ones. The torque is the killer - his full house 2.5 engines are marginal with close to the same hp, it's the additional torque doing them in. So I'd like to gun for 500Kw but then how much am I spending on driveshafts and gearboxes to get reliability? I do trust his input too, his race car is the single most reliable high hp 2.5 I know of. He uses it loving hard too. He doesnt go for peak power either, he wants exactly what I want - a good torque curve / power band and throttle response.

So first steps first - throw the idea out there, see what comes back, judge if it'll work. I know the 3.0 is doable, the 3.6 interests me more

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Cat Terrist posted:

He doesnt go for peak power either, he wants exactly what I want - a good torque curve / power band and throttle response.

So first steps first - throw the idea out there, see what comes back, judge if it'll work. I know the 3.0 is doable, the 3.6 interests me more

This sounds suspiciously like MSR.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

Cat Terrist posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not the crazy he wishes it was. Not without the AWD especially - the Impreza platform is more often than not a failure as a 2WD however you do it. It's jsut a fact that you have to REALLY do some top line engineering to beat out the established way to go quick in an Impreza and a V8 swap just isnt doing it. It is just a complete and utter waste of time.

That said...

It's not as bad as "rearwheelsti"/xiii.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Yakattak posted:

We had a guy try this in AI a few years ago, he had to jack the hood way up to clear the intake and I assume he ended up losing interest and doing something else. I think he did it with a GF though.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

Seat Safety Switch posted:

We had a guy try this in AI a few years ago, he had to jack the hood way up to clear the intake and I assume he ended up losing interest and doing something else. I think he did it with a GF though.

The crossmember he's using for it is intense...

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
All that crazy engine swap talk reminds me of a rather common project down south.

5.7 smallblock or a LS1 into a Chevy S-10

si
Apr 26, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

So I'd like to gun for 500Kw but then how much am I spending on driveshafts and gearboxes to get reliability?

If you want that level of power though, you're using the wrong motors. You can make the EZ30 or EG33 see those power levels, but you're basically starting from nothing. Why not use a proven powerplant at that point where you can make 1000hp proven, reliable, and with shelf parts?

Like this guy: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/my-subaru-beat-buick-heart-140053.html

Manual gearboxes aren't going to work with that kind of torque, you're going to have to go with something massively built with a torque converter.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

How is the console in particular as the main issue I have seen in reviews is that the console is very antiquated and touchscreen is really bad. Maybe this is just an exaggeration on their part

You got me there—it's fine to me but neither of my last two vehicles were particularly new. It doesn't seem like that much of a change from my 01 G35 with no nav so take that however you will. I also got the base model with no nav and immediately replaced the stereo. Didn't even look at one with a touch screen. I wouldn't be surprised if it was garbage as the stock stereo sounded terrible. Functionally it was fine and the bluetooth actually worked extremely well.

What makes a console antiquated anyway?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm not planning on lifting my vehicle. This is just more of a general question - are plastic lift spacers safe? In terms of would they wear down over usage? Is this even a good idea for the suspension and drive train in general?

powderific posted:

You got me there—it's fine to me but neither of my last two vehicles were particularly new. It doesn't seem like that much of a change from my 01 G35 with no nav so take that however you will. I also got the base model with no nav and immediately replaced the stereo. Didn't even look at one with a touch screen. I wouldn't be surprised if it was garbage as the stock stereo sounded terrible. Functionally it was fine and the bluetooth actually worked extremely well.

What makes a console antiquated anyway?

I have a '12 Impreza, which has the same interior. I have the plain stereo with buttons and knobs. While the audio isn't the best, the button and knobs work extremely well.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 13, 2013

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

Lame day for the car, the XS Power exhaust is gonna take an hour longer of fab than I wanted it to ($270), so I'm gonna try to offload it and just buy a proper Invidia N1.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I know a guy who has those! They are really loud btw. Q300 is a lot more reasonable.

The most bad rear end H6 swap is Andy Forrest in the UK.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2354315
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QueeoNe07Aw

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Hey guys. I posted a little while ago about some nasty rattling that was coming from underneath my car. I took it into a local shop that let me use their lift. Turns out it WAS the heatshield afterall, which is what some of you said it might be. Thanks! Cost me about $8 for the guy to fix it :D

I got another one for you. In my car (2008 Impreza non-turbo, Gulf spec), I can set the level of my headlights from inside the car. However, I noticed while driving the other day that one of them is higher than the other. Any ideas on how to get them level again?

Bonus question. My car makes a super obnoxious constant beeping noise when I go over 120kph. How the hell can I disable that?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

angor posted:

Hey guys. I posted a little while ago about some nasty rattling that was coming from underneath my car. I took it into a local shop that let me use their lift. Turns out it WAS the heatshield afterall, which is what some of you said it might be. Thanks! Cost me about $8 for the guy to fix it :D

I got another one for you. In my car (2008 Impreza non-turbo, Gulf spec), I can set the level of my headlights from inside the car. However, I noticed while driving the other day that one of them is higher than the other. Any ideas on how to get them level again?

Bonus question. My car makes a super obnoxious constant beeping noise when I go over 120kph. How the hell can I disable that?

I have no idea about your bonus question but it's not uncommon for the right headlight on USDM cars (and I suppose other cars that are left-hand-drive) to be aimed a bit higher as the left one would be in the face of oncoming traffic if it was aimed higher as well. It might be a feature.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

si posted:

If you want that level of power though, you're using the wrong motors. You can make the EZ30 or EG33 see those power levels, but you're basically starting from nothing. Why not use a proven powerplant at that point where you can make 1000hp proven, reliable, and with shelf parts?

Like this guy: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/my-subaru-beat-buick-heart-140053.html

Manual gearboxes aren't going to work with that kind of torque, you're going to have to go with something massively built with a torque converter.

What the hell is this, some kind of a bad troll? Yeah I'm reeeeallly going to even think about this when in the same post I've knifed LS1's.

(HAHAHA yeah right, I'm going to think about that heavy heavy turd in a car I'm clearly concerned about throttle response)

si
Apr 26, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

What the hell is this, some kind of a bad troll? Yeah I'm reeeeallly going to even think about this when in the same post I've knifed LS1's.

(HAHAHA yeah right, I'm going to think about that heavy heavy turd in a car I'm clearly concerned about throttle response)

Except, the guy who did it estimated it to be like 50lbs heavier than the dressed EJ255 from the GT originally, and mated it to the stock AWD trans. You "knifed" the LS1 both because they don't fit and because they end up being a 2WD swap. This was neither.

Either way, you've clearly made up your mind already - so why even bother discussing it?

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

si posted:

Except, the guy who did it estimated it to be like 50lbs heavier than the dressed EJ255 from the GT originally, and mated it to the stock AWD trans. You "knifed" the LS1 both because they don't fit and because they end up being a 2WD swap. This was neither.

Either way, you've clearly made up your mind already - so why even bother discussing it?

50 lbs is pretty heavy when your sticking it so far ahead of the front axles. 2WD makes more sense for crazy engine swaps because you can try to shove the engine further back. AWD V8 just makes the Subaru understeer problem worse in return for what? A flatter torque curve?

si
Apr 26, 2004

Neptr posted:

50 lbs is pretty heavy when your sticking it so far ahead of the front axles. 2WD makes more sense for crazy engine swaps because you can try to shove the engine further back. AWD V8 just makes the Subaru understeer problem worse in return for what? A flatter torque curve?

True but c'mon, trading 50lbs for 200ft/lb of torque? Even 150lbs? You can make back that weight with other methods/relocation. Putting the battery in the trunk is going to offset over half of that. I'm not really saying it's a great idea, but I'm saying it's as workable as any other - and it's been done. The EZ30 and EG33 are going to add weight over the EJ207/EJ257 as well, especially when you deal with the fab work in front to wedge the radiator in place, add all the forced induction plumbing and pieces, figure out where to put an intercooler, etc.

I'm skeptical of the 700Kw claim as "reliable" out of the EZ30 - but then again, he's not in the US, so maybe it's had way more development overseas. I haven't heard of anyone acutally making 500hp reliably on an EZ30 or EG33 here with either SC or Turbo setups for any amount of time. The Perrin was probably one of the most notorious setups, and that thing ended up a disaster from what I've heard of it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
While relocating a heavy item like a battery to the rear to balance out a heavier or longer engine, combined with general weight saving, may yield a car with the same overall weight and front/rear distribution, the polar moment will definitely be worse.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

If you are considering relocating the battery you are better off just going with a lightweight battery in the stock location. You save weight overall instead of just moving it and don't have to have huge wires running the length of the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Mitts
May 28, 2012
I got to test my x-ice xi3's in the snow on my '13 sti last weekend. I'm running them on the stock wheels. It's my first snow experience with AWD and snow tires, coming from FWD all season tire shitboxes. Basically it's winter driving on cheat mode. If I had to tone my driving down 75% on the shitbox, I only needed to tone my driving down 25% on the sti. There's plenty of parking lots around me to go play in the snow, and there's snow on the forecast for tonight. :black101: