Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

MrTheDevious posted:

Not sure why this bothers me so much, but mining an asteroid in the dead of space and here come birds flying by :psyduck:

I'd love it if they had little space helmets above a certain altitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Zero_Tactility posted:

I'd love it if they had little space helmets above a certain altitude.

Oh gently caress me too, I'd be beyond ok with it if they did

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Network Pesci posted:

I got a crappy one handed sword last night, but it's the only one I've seen out of a dozen drops, they're just really rare.

Hmm, interesting. I was swimming in them in the previous patch.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

shymog posted:

The more I play the more I'm bothered by one thing.

I like that planets have a lot of color variety. You'll have different shades of sand, dirt, cobblestone, etc. That's great, it makes everything feel a little less samey. The thing that sucks about that is that the different shades of blocks are all separate items, meaning they don't stack together.

Granted this gets into serious crazy wishlist category, but what if we had blocks in the inventory all stack, but we could cycle the color of a block between ones we have collected with the press of a button?

It would be nice not to have 10 different kinds of sandstone blocks.
This would be nice, yeah. But what drives me really crazy is when identical stacks of materials from the same planet refuse to stack :argh:

"What's that grey cobblestone? You're not good enough to stack with the grey cobblestones two minutes away from here? Well gently caress you too."

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Section Z posted:

This would be nice, yeah. But what drives me really crazy is when identical stacks of materials from the same planet refuse to stack :argh:

"What's that grey cobblestone? You're not good enough to stack with the grey cobblestones two minutes away from here? Well gently caress you too."

Is this why some cobblestone breaks up in a few swings of the pickaxe and other cobblestone apparently got help from swolePT and is about as resistant as platinum?

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Section Z posted:

Doesn't that happen when they have a different texture? I have found a lot of different looking rock that all says "cobblestone" even though they look different.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

If you are a fan of poop I just stuck this in the coordinates spreadsheet:

X-19004333 Y -24892103
X Solaire Minoris IX (Threat level 10 Tundra Biome)
Uncommon Impervium 2800dps weapon literally next to the teleport point.
Outhouse leading to sewer dungeon full of sentient poo poo monsters. (A ways to the left.)

Updated with image:

There's also a tech chest that's really easy to miss on this planet. It's JUST inside the opening of a cave as you're heading left, plus it's white on snow, so it's super easy to not notice. I got grav neutralizer out of it

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I'm gettin kinda annoyed by how enemies don't seem to drop guns. Just murdered the guards of a huge Avian temple, and prety much all of them had guns. But they only dropped lovely melee weapons that nobody is ever going to use. What happened to all their space guns?! :argh:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is a first

Orv
May 4, 2011

Steal the blood signs.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Orv posted:

Steal the blood signs.

All of the USCM signs are hilarious to investigate as a Floran.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Leadthumb posted:

Doesn't that happen when they have a different texture? I have found a lot of different looking rock that all says "cobblestone" even though they look different.
Oh, I'm not talking about the clearly diffrent cobblestones. I get why the brown ones, why the ones that look kind of like wavey sand stone (but are not sandstone), etc do not stack. I'm talking visually identical. This has also happened to me with dirt, and I haven't really gotten to checking the other tile types but this crops up even if I never leave the spawn world.

Pre-Wipe I assumed "Blue dirt is not stacking with identical blue dirt, because THIS dirt is from the orbiting planet" or something, though that did not explain the Cobblestones because there wasn't any on that second snow world. And I blamed my "I wear glasses" Eyesight for needing tot take a closer look to notice the shading difference between some kinds of snow.

Post-Wipe, without even leaving the spawn world yet I still get visually identical stacks that will not stack. They even have the same Inventory icons and mouse-over image/text. For added mystery, these blocks that will not stack themselves, when turned into Cobblestone bricks THOSE stack.

In that picture are two single wide vertical columns of one stack of cobblestone, and two single wide vertical columns of the other stack of cobblestone that will not combine, I have not left my spawn world with this guy. Guess which rocks are which! Go on, GUESS :shepface:

The only thing I can think of that could be a consistent reason (not that I know of a good practical way to test this), is that if you get to a certain depth, but not deep enough to change the entire biome, like when it shifted to mud, then shifted to "Hivestone" and "Plantmatterblocks". Once sand and the more rocky background if you knock out the wall tiles show up, it is possible it considers those "Different" blocks despite being the same kind.

But I'm just talking out of my rear end there. I have no idea what actually caues this, but it's happened across all three of my characters so far (One pre-wipe, one post wipe, one post "make a new character if you want to see all the changes").

Tl;DR: I get why visually distinct blocks of the same "type" end up in separate stacks, even though I wish there was a better way to sort and store those. But I fly off the handle when identical poo poo from the same planet won't stack.

EDIT: vvv Yeah, that's why I don't feel bad when in Beta, a lot of the things I looked at with a glitch deep in the planet had no Glitch style "statement type" preface. They sure as hell know that stalactites will hurt them glitch style though.

Edit Two: OH GOD WHY AM I SPENDING SO MUCH TIME OBSESSING OVER HOW DIRT STACKS SEND HELP :saddowns:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 14, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Are the little revolving coffin things that explode when you touch them actually supposed to do anything or are they just traps?

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

AnonSpore posted:

Are the little revolving coffin things that explode when you touch them actually supposed to do anything or are they just traps?

Sometimes they give you a random stim effect, never worth it.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Tin Tim posted:

I'm gettin kinda annoyed by how enemies don't seem to drop guns. Just murdered the guards of a huge Avian temple, and prety much all of them had guns. But they only dropped lovely melee weapons that nobody is ever going to use. What happened to all their space guns?! :argh:

Can't say, though I haven't been getting anything decent, even from the boss monsters I've run into since I started up my latest character. Just crappy melee weapons and the occasional shield.

Well, at least that custom ship I've come up with seems to be working fine; I was a little uncertain about it's layout for a bit but it seems to work pretty well with a bit of change in approach.

Featuring a weird mishmash of looted Avian Statuary, High Tech stuff, and a weird statue of a giant worm I happened to stumble across deep inside an otherwise boring planet.

I'm a little held up on this modding thing because I'm just starting to realize that holy crap that is a lot of one liners to write about everything. Probably best not to think about that for now and just work on the graphical side of things.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

MrTheDevious posted:

There's also a tech chest that's really easy to miss on this planet. It's JUST inside the opening of a cave as you're heading left, plus it's white on snow, so it's super easy to not notice. I got grav neutralizer out of it

Ah I missed that on my first run. Added it to the sheet.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I've hit the point where I've made enough progress that I'd rather settle down and start building up, but with a wipe looming over me I can't bring myself to start. Suppose a break will do me good!

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahahahaha I just ran into a friendly yet suspicious inhabited Apex lab. I was swarmed the minute I walked in by a bunch of fundamentalist apes asking me if I believed in Big Ape, then a guard followed me around a while yelling at me until I equipped the MM instead of a gun.

This game is fantastic :allears:

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Gazaar posted:

Sometimes they give you a random stim effect, never worth it.

I got a random weapon from one once. It was actually pretty good.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
With a few simple edits, you too can turn boring, underpopulated planets into an ecosystem teeming with things that want to kill you!

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Ah I missed that on my first run. Added it to the sheet.

Where can I find this sheet?

TroubledWaters
Aug 9, 2007

Some kind of...
oil trap!
Do trees regrow yet?

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Ignoranus posted:

Where can I find this sheet?

It's in the OP, though sort of buried. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kHix192pKvjA2Q5PSuU7zNMuaRxqN2B1N718t4FWmwk/edit

Some of the coordinates are from before they did the 1-10 threat change so if some turn out to be bad coordinates just mark them as such.

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005
Gamma NU-2 Boo 4361 II (The smallest forest world)
X 84740360 Y -6186589

Gravity Neutralizer tech, you can see the chest at spawn.
Stim vendor to the left.
Gun Ship just after that.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

MrTheDevious posted:

Ahahahaha I just ran into a friendly yet suspicious inhabited Apex lab. I was swarmed the minute I walked in by a bunch of fundamentalist apes asking me if I believed in Big Ape, then a guard followed me around a while yelling at me until I equipped the MM instead of a gun.

This game is fantastic :allears:

Do you happen to have the coordinates? I haven't seen an Apex settlement yet and I want to see if they say ominous things about the Hylotl like the Avians do.

Do humans have settlements yet? I've only found those isolated merchants so far.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Anyone have coords for a threat level 10 pirate ship? I want to see what the guns are like at that level.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

endolithic posted:

Do you happen to have the coordinates? I haven't seen an Apex settlement yet and I want to see if they say ominous things about the Hylotl like the Avians do.

Do humans have settlements yet? I've only found those isolated merchants so far.

I sure do, since I'm still there slaughtering monkeys and stealing their poo poo.

X Solaire Minoris V TL 7 tundra
-19004333 -24892103

Head left and you'll find it soonish

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
So I've summoned two distress beacons and killed the UFOs both times. I completed the quest the first time, but I am still unable to get out of Alpha sector. I feel like... this isn't supposed to happen? I also don't have an active quest anymore.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Redkist posted:

So I've summoned two distress beacons and killed the UFOs both times. I completed the quest the first time, but I am still unable to get out of Alpha sector. I feel like... this isn't supposed to happen? I also don't have an active quest anymore.

Did you use the Molten Core they dropped to make the tier 2 anvil? You need to make a Star Map Upgrade Mk.2 from the anvil.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Redkist posted:

That threw me at first too. You need to actually build the thing that allows you to leave the structure, (something chip upgrade I think) which is available through the Metalwork Station.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Redkist posted:

That's where the questline ends for now. You should take a look at what you can craft with the item the UFO gives you when defeating it. This is a game about crafting, after all.

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
Thank you both :)

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Speaking of crafting, is Impervium end of the line currently? Am I pretty much finished upgrading and have nothing left to do except make a bigass space castle?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

MrTheDevious posted:

Speaking of crafting, is Impervium end of the line currently? Am I pretty much finished upgrading and have nothing left to do except make a bigass space castle?

It is end of the line so far as crafting is concerned. Random blueprint/drops aside that's about all there is left to do.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Has there been any news yet on what the next patch might entail, or when it might be?

Section Z posted:

Every natural material has its own color, and sometimes, its own texture as well. These are preserved when mined and gathered so you can put them down as they appeared, which opens up building/decorative/bio-zoological-garden options.

The problem is that for some reason, cobblestone remembers its values for appearance/color/variety/hardness, but none of those are actually displayed. So you can get a light gray, smooth type of cobblestone, and a darker red-brown, tight-packed, very hard and resistant cobblestone, and your inventory will remember which is which, but they'll look the same and place as the same. All the values are saved but none of the things those values are supposed to effect seem to be 'connected', really.

demoneyespaul
Sep 14, 2007

PIATPIATPIAT!
Finally got into the Gamma quadrant.
Found the first "Grasslands" planet I'd seen, wasn't very level:

But it was very pretty:

and I found some friendly people:

drat right.

and the most adorable monster:

Anyone interested can find it in this system:
-11682872, -83276259

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

It's in the OP, though sort of buried. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kHix192pKvjA2Q5PSuU7zNMuaRxqN2B1N718t4FWmwk/edit

Some of the coordinates are from before they did the 1-10 threat change so if some turn out to be bad coordinates just mark them as such.
As far as I can tell, at least in the alpha and beta sectors, they're all old and invalid. They pretty much all mention threat levels, which are irrelevant in the current version. I suppose some of the alpha TL1 ones might be valid, but none of the beta sectors' are.

I was hoping to finally get some guns in the beta sector, but this list at least isn't helping.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Beta Castor 780 IIIa at
-15323592 82186680

has a gun ship to the left, but I'm not 100% positive that's with the new threat levels since I didn't record what it was in notepad :(

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Eiba posted:

As far as I can tell, at least in the alpha and beta sectors, they're all old and invalid. They pretty much all mention threat levels, which are irrelevant in the current version. I suppose some of the alpha TL1 ones might be valid, but none of the beta sectors' are.

I was hoping to finally get some guns in the beta sector, but this list at least isn't helping.
Huh, I seriously just now wanted to ask if the coordinates are still valid. Dang, anyone got a gun vendor in the Alpha sector?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I love that Apex vendors accept BigCoin. And the Avian racism against humans plus their title-dropping shanty.

• Locked thread