Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

The end tag for the season finale should be Fury staring a wall of screens, each showing clips of the plane incurring damage, then we zoom on to his face as a single tear rolls down his cheek.

Well it's not like he could have two tears roll down his cheeks.

e: Do you think that Fury's subordinates grin at him when they say "Aye aye, sir!"?

BrooklynBruiser fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
ComicsAlliance's recap of the episode led me to this glorious video.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

BrianWilly posted:

ComicsAlliance's recap of the episode led me to this glorious video.

That's such a painfully awkward video. "He's standing right behind me," is something no one has ever said in the real world because actual human beings don't loudly rant and rave about people who are in the vicinity. If you have to poo poo talk someone in the real world and they're nearby, you loving whisper, shut a door or keep your eye on them so they don't sneak up on you. Its also weird because you would either a) hear the person walking up behind you, b) feel the person walking up behind you or, c) immediately stop when the person you're talking to looks at you funny (or tells you to stop because they can see the person coming from the other room). Nothing about the trope is realistic and I don't know why people keep writing it into tv shows and movies.

Speaking of bad tropes, check out the 'people getting hit by buses' supercut. You know its only a matter of time before Mike walks into the bus lane and gets his rear end fridged by a cityliner.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I thought it was interesting to see the parallel between the end of the episode and the beginning of the pilot with Mike running off to save someone. I think he even says "Take care of my boy!" both times. I'm inclined to think he survived since the pilot has him jumping out of an explosion, and I'm guessing it's going to be some kind of similar situation now. But if he didn't...he really should have listened to Coulson's advice. :(

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Episode was ok but I could watch Melinda May glare hatefully at retreating helicopters for hours :allears:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Really don't care that there's not enough comics stuff, I'm just bummed out that the show is so uninteresting. I expected better from Mo Tancharoen and The Musical Whedon bro.

Arrow is a much better show just because things actually happen, there's an actual plot. I'm not even judging it on a season and a half worth of content, but more happens in the first four episodes of Arrow than in all of AoS so far. We still just have generic bad guy of the week, none of which have been particularly memorable, some teases for the shippers, some teases about everyone's tragic backstories and no real movement. You could switch the order of a lot of these episodes and not be able to tell.
Even now, it's introduced the woman in the flower dress, who is working for the bald man who is working for another unseen antagonist. Ten episodes in and we still haven't seen a proper villain?

The one thing it has going for it is that it's watchable, despite it's blandness. It's kind of like The Big Bang Theory of superhero shows.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

VagueRant posted:

Really don't care that there's not enough comics stuff, I'm just bummed out that the show is so uninteresting. I expected better from Mo Tancharoen and The Musical Whedon bro.

Why?

They haven't shown any ability to generate interesting, dynamic characters and story lines in any of their past endeavors without Joss propping them up.

They were pretty clearly chosen for this job because of the family connection rather than any demonstrable talent at running a show of this scale.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anybody know if the original order for the show was 13 episodes rather than 22 (or whatever the final tally is going to be) and they've had to stretch out their plots to compensate?

It feels sort of like the fifth season of Babylon 5 and the telepath colony arc.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

PriorMarcus posted:

Why?

They haven't shown any ability to generate interesting, dynamic characters and story lines in any of their past endeavors without Joss propping them up.

They were pretty clearly chosen for this job because of the family connection rather than any demonstrable talent at running a show of this scale.

I dunno about that. I haven't seen any of Spartacus but they were both heavily involved in that prior to shield, and it's exalted in these parts.

The family ties didn't hurt, I'm sure, but they're not completely green going into this.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

They were co-producers on the last two seasons of Spartacus, and they wrote a couple of episode between them. That isn't exactly a great contributtion to the series.

In fact before Agents their biggest project (and only sizable one) was Dollhouse, another show they were placed on due to family ties and that failed to live up to it's premise/had no understanding of what made it interesting or why people cared.

Obviously something is lacking with Agents, and it can't all be blamed on any restrictions they have had passed down from above as even the stuff they have created entirely from scratch has been bland and mostly forgettable.

The hostage stand off, for example, was utterly amateurish is every part of it's execution.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Jeffrey Bell was meant to be a showrunner as well? I'm pretty sure he was talked up as a big figure behind the scenes before the show started. He's done The X-Files and Angel, and he's written a couple of episodes for AoS which were okay ("0-8-4" and "Eye Spy").

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

In fact before Agents their biggest project (and only sizable one) was Dollhouse, another show they were placed on due to family ties and that failed to live up to it's premise/had no understanding of what made it interesting or why people cared.

I thought Dollhouse was just fine, and most of its issues were in a semi-unlikable lead and having to do stupid extra pilot episodes. All of the overall plot garnered in its first five episodes would have been seen in the pilot, but Fox wanted more standalone episodes. Season 2 started much the same, but the last 6-7 episodes in each season were pretty fantastic and gripping. Seems to me to be the same thing going on with this show.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Even just five or six episodes in, Dollhouse had established some truly gripping stakes and plot twists. It continued to have problems and wasn't a show anyone could just get into, true...but you could glean a clear narrative direction not only for the overall show, but also for each individual character fairly early in the series...much less by the mid-season. The first season was only 13 episodes, after all. (And boy howdy that 13th episode was a gamechanger)

Again, I truly believe that AoS is not some hopeless trainwreck by any means, but it's just going to look worse and worse if we keep comparing it against other shows.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Metal Loaf posted:

It feels sort of like the fifth season of Babylon 5 and the telepath colony arc.

Well, Babylon 5's 5th season was sort of made up on the fly. It was planned to be 5 seasons, they were told they were being cancelled after 4 so they hurried and crammed season 4 and 5 together, then the studio said "lol, jk, you get 5 seasons after all", so they kinda slapped it together which is why it wasn't nearly as solid as the rest of the series and felt a bit aimless. AoS has no such excuse thus far.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Babylon 5's fifth season was rough, but there was still some pretty solid material in that back half. I'd say it was at least better than the first season in many ways, but it has been a while since my last run.

I don't think AoS has been around long enough yet for any comparison to come easily. But since I'm going to try anyway... I'd say it's falling into similar patterns as Angel's first season. It's riding the coattails of a very popular established property using a character from those earlier works as an anchor for a batch of uneven but generally entertaining episodic stories with a loose arc running underneath that will probably grow stronger over time. Not unlike Angel and countless other genre shows fitting that vague description, it should find itself within a season or two - if it survives.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Jeez, I loved the first season of Angel. Cordelia had a ghost roommate, y'all.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

BrianWilly posted:

Jeez, I loved the first season of Angel. Cordelia had a ghost roommate, y'all.

That's what AoS needs. A Phantom Dennis. Let Fitz have his monkey!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DFu4ever posted:

And then you have shows like Heroes that start strong and end bad. Heroes had a fantastic first season and just self-destructed after that.
After watching later seasons of Heroes, it's amazing to me that the same people who wrote that also wrote the first season, which was almost perfect except the finale episode.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Come to think of it none of Joss' shows have had particularly strong first seasons even Buffy's was kinda meh.

Edit: Firefly is exempt from this.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

FlamingLiberal posted:

After watching later seasons of Heroes, it's amazing to me that the same people who wrote that also wrote the first season, which was almost perfect except the finale episode.

Company Man is in the top 5 of my favorite episodes of TV of all time.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

I got into Heroes when season 2 was in the middle of its run, and went through all of season one in 2 days, blown out of my mind by how good it was. Season 2 was just limping along trying to go for the big mysteries, and I never even bothered with S3/S4

Pretty much NBC.jpeg.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 17, 2013

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Season 2 was completely crippled by the writer's strike. But beyond that, it also suffered from the creators backing away from their original intention of having each season have a new cast with a mildly related plot. I think Loeb dropped in for season 3 or 4.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Heroes would've been much, much better if they didn't keep cramming Ali Larter down our throats with three different characters.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

A hell of a lot more went wrong with S2 and beyond than just Ali Larter.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The thing is, they still had a lot of good will for season three, because most of the fans were willing to accept that the weaknesses of season two were down to the WGA Strike (though watching season two, I remember thinking it was still a step down from the first one).

I'm not sure what exactly happened beyond that. Season three has one of my least favourite "I think we'll just forget about that plotline" moments in any television programme; Claire loses her healing factor during the solar eclipse (because genetics and astronomy are related) and cathces every disease known to man, so the hospital staff become suspicious and call the police, who show up at the end of the episode with a few questions for her mother. Then, at the start of the next episode, everybody's powers come back (because genetics and astronomy are related), Claire gets better and they all go home.

Drove me nuts at the time, and it still frustrates me like five years after the fact.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

LeafyOrb posted:

Edit: Firefly is exempt from this.
Here's a thought to make all the Browncoats wail in despair: what if Firefly wasn't exempt from this? What if Season 1 was the weakest season? Think of how much more amazing Seasons 2-6 would've been!

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Goredema posted:

Here's a thought to make all the Browncoats wail in despair: what if Firefly wasn't exempt from this? What if Season 1 was the weakest season? Think of how much more amazing Seasons 2-6 would've been!

I thought of this when he posted it... and I hate you. :commissar:

(hell, we didn't even get a full season to bitch about! :cry:)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ToastyPotato posted:

Season 2 was completely crippled by the writer's strike. But beyond that, it also suffered from the creators backing away from their original intention of having each season have a new cast with a mildly related plot. I think Loeb dropped in for season 3 or 4.

Loeb was a staff writer from season one. He did the episode where Peter freaks out and attacks the Isaac.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Loeb was a staff writer from season one. He did the episode where Peter freaks out and attacks the Isaac.

I thought he became the show runner for one of the later seasons though.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
You know what this show needs?

Enver Gjokaj.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Goredema posted:

We got 39 episodes worth of story compressed into Serenity...

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

the JJ posted:

Enver Gjokaj.

He was a cop during the Battle of New York.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

the JJ posted:

Enver Gjokaj.

You could copy this post and put it in a lot of TVIV threads.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Emerson Cod posted:

He had like one line.

I mean, they could expand the role for on the Defenders shows?

A Big Dark Yak posted:

You could copy this post and put it in a lot of TVIV threads.

True...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

the JJ posted:

Enver Gjokaj.

EVERY show needs Enver Gjokaj. I almost cried when I saw him show up in Dexter for two seconds to end up as a corpse.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Goredema posted:

I took that as a given. As good as Firefly season 1 is, it still has several episodes that are simply ok.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

EVERY show needs Enver Gjokaj. I almost cried when I saw him show up in Dexter for two seconds to end up as a corpse.

Dollhouse didn't really have him do too much with his talents, but when they have him shift into the chief scientist he nails absolutely everything, from vocal tones, body language, gestures etc. perfectly to where it was like watching the regular actor in costume.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Emerson Cod posted:

I was always surprised that this character wasn't our rookie agent/audience identification character instead of Skye.

There's even a deleted scene of him with fully finished CGI killing some aliens that they could of inserted as a flash back.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

ToastyPotato posted:

I thought he became the show runner for one of the later seasons though.

Loeb was co-showrunner with Jesse Alexander for Seasons 1-3, before they were both fired. Not that it made any difference, because I'm convinced no-one involved in running that show had any clue what they were doing, least of all the creator. Tim Kring is like the equivalent of some guy who bullshits their way into a high-powered job, and then spends the whole time making a massive fort out of cushions.

Actually, they should've just given the whole thing to Bryan Fuller. That one episode he came back to write for the third season was easily better than everything else in that whole sorry run, and actually gave me false hope that the quality might pick up again. "Company Man" was also one of his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

pentyne posted:

Dollhouse didn't really have him do too much with his talents, but when they have him shift into the chief scientist he nails absolutely everything, from vocal tones, body language, gestures etc. perfectly to where it was like watching the regular actor in costume.

It took me a few seconds to even realize that it was another actor playing the role. It is a weird thing that with a show with so many good actors on it, they picked someone who at best is a mediocre actor as the lead.

• Locked thread