Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

friendo55 posted:

It's certainly a bold statement to make! One could make the argument that there's more complexities in non-silent films with getting the dialogue & tone just right and no cutting to title cards - but of course a brilliant performance.
Off the top of my head: Emily Watson in Breaking the Waves, Daniel Day-Lewis in My Left Foot & There Will Be Blood, Philip Seymour Hoffman in Capote, Elizabeth Taylor in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, Robert Mitchum in The Night of the Hunter, and as a personal pick: Christian McKay in Me & Orson Welles.

Oh, of course its an impossible field to pick from. Klaus Kinski in Aguirre and Gene Rowlands in A Woman Under the Influence certainly qualify among the all time best as well. Not to mention Daniel Day-Lewis in Lincoln (I know its a cliche, but seriously, is anybody else living anywhere near DDL's level of film acting?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

TrixRabbi posted:

Oh, of course its an impossible field to pick from. Klaus Kinski in Aguirre and Gene Rowlands in A Woman Under the Influence certainly qualify among the all time best as well. Not to mention Daniel Day-Lewis in Lincoln (I know its a cliche, but seriously, is anybody else living anywhere near DDL's level of film acting?).

That reminds me (speaking of shameful) that I still need to see A Woman Under the Influence - but yea that's a discussion that could go on and on with no real answer. As for Daniel Day-Lewis, I'd argue Hoffman, Streep, and Binoche are near that level - but again a never-ending discussion.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
friendo55 - go with The Magnificent Ambersons. It's the best one I've seen off your list.

Gaslight is a movie that was good, but not quite great. The basic premise of the movie involves a husband trying to drive his wife insane, and he does things like dim and brighten the house's gaslights to make her paranoid. The story itself is good, but it's somewhat basic. It's not so much a whodunnit as it is about the motive. Still, it has a satisfying climax. It's an early prototype for the noir genre. Not all the plot elements and tropes are there, but things like the lighting and camerawork are very reminiscent of the genre. Also, it was very surprising to see Angela Lansbury in this. I actually had to pause and look it up on IMDB to make sure it was here, as I thought this was before her time.

The List of Shame

1. Lolita: I've seen almost all of Kubrick's offerings, but I have not yet seen this teen sex romp.

2. Ocean's Eleven (1960): I've seen the remake a bunch of times - let's see how the original one is.

3. I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang: I don't know much about this one aside from the fact that the protagonist is a fugitive. From a chain gang.

4. The Crow: I used to have the soundtrack to this, but I've never watched it. It's been right at the front of my instant watch queue for a year now, but I just can't bother to watch it.

5. Blow-Up: This is supposed to be one of the game-changing movies that helped influence the New Hollywood era. It's probably time I watch it

6. Pan's Labyrinth: I haven't been a fan of the GDT movies that I've seen. Will this make me change my mind on the director?

7. The Great Escape: What's so great about it?

8. Dirty Harry: From what I understand of this movie I'll hate the politics behind it. Still, it may be entertaining and worth watching

9. Mean Streets: This one always seems to be overlooked when people talk about Scorcese

10. Blacula: If Dickeye posted in this thread he'd make me watch this right now.

Un-shamed in 2013: The Grapes of Wrath, Yojimbo, The Sixth Sense, Forbidden Planet, Cool Hand Luke, Easy Rider, It Happened one Night, Donnie Brasco, Fargo, Enter the Dragon, The Big Sleep, Adam's Rib, Animal House, Quiz Show, The Man with the Golden Arm, Strangers on a Train, Singin' in the Rain, The Philadelphia Story, The Time Machine, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, The Seven Year Itch, The Deer Hunter, City Lights, The Prestige, Five Easy Pieces, Some Like it Hot, Snatch, True Lies, The Seventh Seal, Amelie, The Magnificent Ambersons, Escape from New York, Witness for the Prosecution, Life is Beautiful, Brazil, Clash of the Titans, Gone With the Wind, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Bicycle Thief, Once Upon a Time in America, Con Air, Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan, Cinema Paradiso, Life of Pi, The Abyss, The 400 Blows, Good Will Hunting, The Fugitive, Oldboy, Gaslight

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

TrixRabbi posted:

That's funny, I always liked Rowlands better in Faces, but I guess it's not a lead role for her.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

10. Blacula: If Dickeye posted in this thread he'd make me watch this right now.

Really? REALLY?

Sandwich Bender
Mar 4, 2004

CopywrightMMXI - I want to tell you to watch Dirty Harry, because the entire time I was slogging through Bullitt I was longing for Harry Callahan, but I super dig The Crow. Such a rad movie. Watch that.

Once Upon a Time in the West - It's funny, I was just bitching about how Bullitt was paced too slowly, when Once Upon a Time in the West is almost three hours and I was absolutely enthralled. I've seen A Fistful of Dollars and I liked it, but nowhere near as much as I liked this. It did such a good job of capturing that grey area that's prominent in most westerns. You barely know anything about any of the characters, by design, and you sure as hell don't know their motivations or where their allegiances lie. This, coupled with Leone's lingering shots and excellent use of silence, makes so many scenes just ooze tension. I'll admit to getting lost a time or two, but I'm inclined to blame that more on my inability to pay attention than on Leone's storytelling. By the end everything made sense. The performances are terrific, Henry Fonda especially. It's even got comedy! I didn't expect that, but I laughed out loud a time or two. The whole thing was just terrific and had such a satisfying ending.

I loving love this thread. It took me a long time to get over my weird hang up about committing the time to watch a movie, but now I'm watching at least one a day and it's awesome. I'm going to join the director thread soon, too.

1. Blade Runner – From my old list. A friend actually bought me the crazy collector’s edition dealy DVD some time ago. If you recommend this, please tell me which cut to watch.

2. Mad Max – It's insane that I haven't seen this, given how up my alley it is. I'm excited to check out and even more excited to get to Road Warrior, which is the one I always hear about.

3. The Exorcist – Honestly, I avoided this movie for years because I thought it would freak me out too much. I’ve since watched a ton of horror that people insist is terrifying and yet none of it bothers me, so I guess I’m a man’s man. I also loving LOVE horror, so I should probably see this. My stepdad seems to have the director’s cut. Is that okay to watch for first-time viewing?

4. The Abyss – I’ve always wanted to see this, but I realize as I type this that I have no clue what it’s about. Still want to see it, though.

5. Misery – Again, I love horror, Stephen King especially. Always caught bits and pieces of this growing up. I’ve heard nothing but great things.

6. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid – I’m not SUPER excited to see this, but I guess that’s sort of the point of this thread. I’ve always heard good things and I really like Robert Redford.

7. Oldboy - Spike Lee's remake hitting theaters rekindled my interest in the original. I heard it can be painful to watch, but I need to toughen up anyway.

8. The Towering Inferno – Disaster flicks are just rad. They’re so exciting!

9. The Wild Bunch – This is one of the ones that I’m listing just because it’s here and well-known, but I have been wanting to check out some Peckinpah.

10. The Getaway – This is one here for pretty much the same reason as The Wild Bunch. Need more classic action and Peckinpah in my life.

De-shamed: Apocalypse Now, Casablanca, Psycho, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Princess Bride, Taxi Driver, Bullitt, Once Upon a Time in the West

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

CPL593H posted:

Really? REALLY?

I really haven't seen it! :haw:

Seriously though, Dickeye's been pumping up the Blaxploitation horror genre quite a bit lately. But don't worry - you'll always have Robocop.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I consider myself a huge horror movie fan but only recently did I see the original Texas Chainsaw. I also haven't seen Rosemary's Baby.

There are probably a few other big name 'essentials' but those are the ones that immediately come to mind.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Sandwich Bender posted:

2. Mad Max – It's insane that I haven't seen this, given how up my alley it is. I'm excited to check out and even more excited to get to Road Warrior, which is the one I always hear about.

You seem most excited about this one. If it matters, I've only watched Road Warrior having not watched this one first. Watch whichever one you want as far as I'm concerned!

The Magnificent Ambersons
I now finally understand what I've heard and read over the years - how this film was brutally edited and is essentially an incomplete film. What started out pretty drat great, with that marvelous intro narrated by Welles, begins to unravel. The story starts to make little sense, the focus shifts from one character to the next, and it ends with such an abruption you almost start to yell at the TV. Welles claimed that it was a better film than Citizen Kane, and with such an incredible cast and stellar cinematography, there certainly were glimpses of possibility. If only we ever really knew.

LIST

Le Doulos (2013.08.06) - I've only watched Le Samourai which I loved.... I must consume more Melville.

Grand Illusion (2013.11.21) - I know nothing about this movie other than it's a classic and that I'm long overdue.

Ikiru **new** (2013.12.03) - more Kurosawa!

The Last Picture Show (2013.09.23) - early Jeff Bridges?? Absolutely! Plus I need to put a bigger dent in this BBS Collection.

Lone Star (2013.08.06) - heard plenty of great things, love Chris Cooper & loved his work in Sayles' earlier film Matewan.

Quiz Show (2013.11.26) - I haven't really had any desire to watch it, even though many people have recommended it to me.

The Taste of Cherry (2013.05.04) - loved Close-up, Certified Copy, & Like Someone in Love. I want more!

Tokyo Story (2013.12.01) - my bluray from Criterion just arrived in the mail which is the main reason why I've avoided this for so long.

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (2013.11.19) - I loved Robert Aldrich's Kiss Me Deadly, plus Bette Davis & Joan Crawford? Need I say more?

Witness For The Prosecution (2013.06.02) - this list, and my life, always could use more Wilder.

De-shamed: Aliens (4.5/5), The Bridge on the River Kwai (5/5), La Dolce Vita (4/5), The Hustler (5/5), Blue Velvet (4.5/5), Close-Up (4.5/5), The Lady Vanishes (4.5/5), Grave of the Fireflies (5/5), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (3.5/5), Oldboy (4.5/5), Gattaca (3.5/5), Children of Men (5/5), The Great Dictator (4.5/5), Diabolique (4.5/5), Aguirre, the Wrath of God (3.5/5), Rashomon (4.5/5), Singin' in the Rain (5/5), Le Samourai (5/5), Hiroshima, Mon Amour (5/5), Battleship Potemkin (4/5), Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (3.5/5), Network (5/5), Once Upon A Time In The West (5/5), Sleeper (2.5/5), Y Tu Mama Tambien (4.5/5), Lawrence of Arabia (3.5/5), Amadeus (4/5), E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (4.5/5), The Postman Always Rings Twice (3.5/5), Ben-Hur (4.5/5), Bug (4/5), All The President's Men (4.5/5), Through a Glass Darkly (4/5), The Leopard (2/5), The Aviator (4.5/5), Duck Soup (4/5), The Good The Bad & The Ugly (5/5), Werckmeister Harmonies (4/5), Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (4.5/5), To Kill A Mockingbird (2.5/5), Brazil (2.5/5), M (5/5), The Sweet Hereafter (4/5), Princess Mononoke (5/5), High and Low (5/5), The Sting (5/5), The King of Comedy (4.5/5), Stand By Me (4.5/5), The Wages of Fear (4/5), Amores Perros (3.5/5), The Music Room (4/5), The Spirit of the Beehive (4/5), Cape Fear (3.5/5), The Passion of Joan of Arc (4/5), The Magnificent Ambersons (3/5), [Total:55]

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
The Thin Red Line: I wish I had seen this many years ago. The first 20 minutes were kinda slow and I couldn't really follow along and the voice-overs flew over my head. When it started it was just incredible. Strong and super dark throughout. I felt kinda drained after.

4/5

-----

friendo55: Watch Tokyo Story.

1. The Haunted Strangler (Robert Day)
Boris Karloff's characters just seem so haunting that I can't resist.

2. Slacker
The premise for this film is interesting.

3. The Uninvited
Older horror films is something I enjoy quite a bit.

4. Jungfrukällan (The Virgin Spring)
No real excuse here.

5. Sátántangó
I have been interested in this one for years and Bela Tarr and I never saw Horse of Turin. I hope it's worth the time commitment.

6. A Woman Under the Influence
Recently stumbled over this on a movie site and it caught my eye.

7. Harakiri
Just want to see more Japanese cinema!

8. Vivre sa vie
Another Godard film.

9. Kes
Seen too few 'animal' movies.

10. Mouchette
I just love Bresson.

Metropolis, M, Rashômon, Yojimbo, Låt Den Rätte Komma In, The Royal Tenenbaums, Psycho, A Fistful of Dollars, Paris, Texas, 400 Blows, Häxan, Japanese Summer: Double Suicide, Vampyr, Band of Outsiders, The Thin Red Line,

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

von Braun posted:

8. Vivre sa vie
Another Godard film.

This is the only one on your list I've watched, and really enjoyed it!

Tokyo Story
Without question, this is a masterpiece and it's reputation is well deserved. Two parents Shukichi (Chishu Ryu) and Tomi (Chieko Higashiyama) Hirayama take a long train ride from their small town of Onomichi to visit their children in Tokyo. Each of them have their own lives and their own schedules, finding it difficult to balance work and spending time with their parents. At 2hrs and 16 minutes it never once feels stretched out or dragging. Each and every frame and angle is shot with the utmost confidence, every line of dialogue feels full of meaning and importance, and the overall narrative is so sure of itself that you never doubt or question where Ozu is taking you. Speaking of Ozu, this is my first film from him and I can't wait to see more. What a beautiful film this is - in every sense of the word. I wouldn't call it uplifting as much as it made me feel full of life. I was very much content as the film ended, with invaluable reassurance that enjoying life's little moments together makes our time here worth living. This is an essential cinematic experience.

LIST

Le Doulos (2013.08.06) - I've only watched Le Samourai which I loved.... I must consume more Melville.

Grand Illusion (2013.11.21) - I know nothing about this movie other than it's a classic and that I'm long overdue.

Ikiru (2013.12.03) - more Kurosawa!

The Last Picture Show (2013.09.23) - early Jeff Bridges?? Absolutely! Plus I need to put a bigger dent in this BBS Collection.

Lone Star (2013.08.06) - heard plenty of great things, love Chris Cooper & loved his work in Sayles' earlier film Matewan.

The Player **new** (2013.12.04) - this just seems right up my alley.

Quiz Show (2013.11.26) - I haven't really had any desire to watch it, even though many people have recommended it to me.

The Taste of Cherry (2013.05.04) - loved Close-up, Certified Copy, & Like Someone in Love. I want more!

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (2013.11.19) - I loved Robert Aldrich's Kiss Me Deadly, plus Bette Davis & Joan Crawford? Need I say more?

Witness For The Prosecution (2013.06.02) - this list, and my life, always could use more Wilder.

De-shamed: Aliens (4.5/5), The Bridge on the River Kwai (5/5), La Dolce Vita (4/5), The Hustler (5/5), Blue Velvet (4.5/5), Close-Up (4.5/5), The Lady Vanishes (4.5/5), Grave of the Fireflies (5/5), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (3.5/5), Oldboy (4.5/5), Gattaca (3.5/5), Children of Men (5/5), The Great Dictator (4.5/5), Diabolique (4.5/5), Aguirre, the Wrath of God (3.5/5), Rashomon (4.5/5), Singin' in the Rain (5/5), Le Samourai (5/5), Hiroshima, Mon Amour (5/5), Battleship Potemkin (4/5), Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (3.5/5), Network (5/5), Once Upon A Time In The West (5/5), Sleeper (2.5/5), Y Tu Mama Tambien (4.5/5), Lawrence of Arabia (3.5/5), Amadeus (4/5), E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (4.5/5), The Postman Always Rings Twice (3.5/5), Ben-Hur (4.5/5), Bug (4/5), All The President's Men (4.5/5), Through a Glass Darkly (4/5), The Leopard (2/5), The Aviator (4.5/5), Duck Soup (4/5), The Good The Bad & The Ugly (5/5), Werckmeister Harmonies (4/5), Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (4.5/5), To Kill A Mockingbird (2.5/5), Brazil (2.5/5), M (5/5), The Sweet Hereafter (4/5), Princess Mononoke (5/5), High and Low (5/5), The Sting (5/5), The King of Comedy (4.5/5), Stand By Me (4.5/5), The Wages of Fear (4/5), Amores Perros (3.5/5), The Music Room (4/5), The Spirit of the Beehive (4/5), Cape Fear (3.5/5), The Passion of Joan of Arc (4/5), The Magnificent Ambersons (3/5), Tokyo Story (5/5), [Total:56]

Sandwich Bender
Mar 4, 2004

Friendo, watch Quiz Show. I feel a little bad because you chose Mad Max for me based on my excitement and I'm specifically choosing the film that you don't really care to see, but I suppose that's why I'm giving you the push. I hope you like it! I've heard great things.

Mad Max - Good, but not great. I don't want to be the guy who complains that every movie is too slow - I swear I really like slow movies - but I feel like it just didn't fit this sort of movie. The whole thing felt like one long setup to the Mad Max character that I was expecting. The act breaks are oddly placed, too, which the third act not happening until very late in the movie. I guess I just wasn't thoroughly gripped, as I spent a lot of time wondering when the movie was going to take off.

1. Blade Runner – From my old list. A friend actually bought me the crazy collector’s edition dealy DVD some time ago. If you recommend this, please tell me which cut to watch.

2. The Odd Couple - I've never seen The Odd Couple for the same reason that I hadn't seen Apocalypse Now, Psycho, and countless other classics when I first came to this thread - because I was young and dumb and avoided older movies like the plague. I honestly think I'll get a kick out of it now that my tastes have matured.

3. The Exorcist – Honestly, I avoided this movie for years because I thought it would freak me out too much. I’ve since watched a ton of horror that people insist is terrifying and yet none of it bothers me, so I guess I’m a man’s man. I also loving LOVE horror, so I should probably see this. My stepdad seems to have the director’s cut. Is that okay to watch for first-time viewing?

4. The Abyss – I’ve always wanted to see this, but I realize as I type this that I have no clue what it’s about. Still want to see it, though.

5. Misery – Again, I love horror, Stephen King especially. Always caught bits and pieces of this growing up. I’ve heard nothing but great things.

6. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid – I’m not SUPER excited to see this, but I guess that’s sort of the point of this thread. I’ve always heard good things and I really like Robert Redford.

7. Oldboy - Spike Lee's remake hitting theaters rekindled my interest in the original. I heard it can be painful to watch, but I need to toughen up anyway.

9. The Wild Bunch – This is one of the ones that I’m listing just because it’s here and well-known, but I have been wanting to check out some Peckinpah.

10. The Getaway – This is one here for pretty much the same reason as The Wild Bunch. Need more classic action and Peckinpah in my life.

De-shamed: Apocalypse Now, Casablanca, Psycho, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Princess Bride, Taxi Driver, Bullitt, Once Upon a Time in the West, Mad Max

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy
Sandwich Bender, you watch Oldboy. I just watched the remake and it pales in comparison to the original.

IMDb top 250...of shame!

1) The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - I've seen bits of it through the years, but never the entire movie.

2) 12 Angry Men - I don't know a lot about this movie, though have considered watching it for a while.

3) Schindler's List - Not sure how I haven't seen it.

4) Seven Samurai - I heard this was a remake of The Magnificent 7, but in black and white. Looks good.

5) City of God - Seen part of it. I feel like that is a bad habit I have.

6) Once Upon a Time in the West - Another classic by Sergio Leone that I haven't seen.

7) It's a Wonderful Life - Oh god, another old-timey movie.

8) Rear Window - I've only seen a couple by Hitchcock.

9) Psycho - See #9

10) Sunset Blvd. A noir film. Like French black.

Sandwich Bender
Mar 4, 2004

Ha ha, now they're going to make fun of you like they made fun of me! Be excited, you have a lot of good stuff ahead of you. 12 Angry Men is one of my all-time favorite movies. But alas, I am not in charge of choosing a movie for you.

Oldboy it is for me, then. Thanks for picking that one. I'm pretty excited to watch it.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Sandwich Bender posted:

Friendo, watch Quiz Show. I feel a little bad because you chose Mad Max for me based on my excitement and I'm specifically choosing the film that you don't really care to see, but I suppose that's why I'm giving you the push. I hope you like it! I've heard great things.

I mean if I really didn't want to watch it, I wouldn't even add it to the list. Something like Salo will never be on there regardless of how essential it may be to someone else. I have no desire to ever watch it. Quiz Show is my least desirable of the 10, for no real reason either. I know nothing about the movie so maybe it's the title that bores me? The DVD cover art? I've been told by friends to watch it for years which is why I blind-bought it for $4 at a Rogers Video back in the day. So yeah, I do need that push. Thank you!

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 5, 2013

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Sandwich Bender posted:

Ha ha, now they're going to make fun of you like they made fun of me! Be excited, you have a lot of good stuff ahead of you. 12 Angry Men is one of my all-time favorite movies. But alas, I am not in charge of choosing a movie for you.

Oldboy it is for me, then. Thanks for picking that one. I'm pretty excited to watch it.

If people make fun, as I have in the past, it's only due to insane jealousy that you get to watch these awesome movies for the first time ever. Man, what I give to watch City of God, fresh.

filmaholic
Jun 19, 2013
Alright Tsyni, time to watch Schindler's List.

My list of shame, all from recent Oscar nominees/winners.

1. Argo - Just noticed Bryan Cranston is in this so now I have no idea why I haven't watched it yet.

2. Beasts of the Southern Wild - I feel like this movie will be adorable, and yet I keep putting it off for no reason whatsoever.

3. Lincoln - Ahh, politics. I will someday learn to love you. Maybe this movie will help.

4. The Fighter - Love Christian Bale but I've always had an off feeling about this movie. Not sure why.

5. Precious - Always thought this movie would be painful to watch, somehow.

6. Frost/Nixon - Hello there again, politics.

7. Milk - I have no excuse for not watching this. I literally just keep forgetting about it.

8. Michael Clayton - One of the few George Clooney movies I haven't watched, which is dumb. Time to watch this one for sure.

9. There Will Be Blood - I'm somewhat intimidated by this movie, just from the sheer amount of praise it's received.

10. Babel - Another movie I just plain forgot about, and yet it sounds great!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

filmaholic posted:

9. There Will Be Blood - I'm somewhat intimidated by this movie, just from the sheer amount of praise it's received.

Try this first.

Incoming long post.

Eve's Bayou - This was like a darker and more supernatural version of My Girl (1992). It focuses on Eve (Jurnee Smollett) and her immediate relatives. As I was watching I kept thinking that I'd seen this girl before but I couldn't place it. I checked on IMDb and see that she was on the Full House TV series. That must be it. :doh:

Eve's aunt is a psychic and Samuel L. Jackson plays the father who messes around with lots of the women in town. Not surprisingly he's shot dead at the end by a jealous husband. The family is superstitious and I found it humorous that the three kids were all cheering after some random kid was run over by a bus (the mother had had a premonition that one of her kids would be run over).

The B/W flashbacks scenes were okay but what stuck out were the reenactments where one of the kids or the aunt told a story and the players came into background so that the past and present almost merged. This is a style I don't recall seeing much before. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZMaBokfGRU

Another memorable scene:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLIXO79R6Tc

Netflix kept delaying Eve's Bayou and then I got the disc and it was karate chopped in half so I got around to a lot of the others first:

Monster - The true story of Aileen Wuornos and her downward spiral. Reading some things online it's apparent that a lot was left out (this is the bane of all biopics of course). What is shown isn't too appealing of a story either. Aileen (Charlize Theron) spends most scenes making scary faces and guzzling down liquor and those are the mild moments. The rest of the time she's performing gross sexual acts on a cornucopia of guys. After she murders them she lets out primal screams of rage.

It appears that Aileen isn't in hot water until she kills a cop. Selby (Christina Ricci) has some problems but is in the dark about the murders for the most part.

I liked this segment as it captures how things continually start out okay and then end disastrously: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruN_KcF-Ouw

Also watched two time travel films:

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - This was almost more comedy (there's way too many instances to list) than sci-fi and of the first four films I think I'd be most willing to revisit this one a second time. The plot feels a little silly probably because we're bringing the sci-fi to the 1980s rather than something hundreds of years in the future. Maybe it's a credit to Spock but the quickness with which the crew derives the whale solution and decides to travel to the 1980s felt a little too fast and easy. In some ways it's a repeat of the first film in that we have an unknown and threatening entity flying toward Earth. We never really figure out what the black cylinder is and why it's removing all water from the planet.

I'm not sure about time travel in the Star Trek universe but it was pretty easy for them to configure a Klingon ship to blast around the sun and go back hundreds of years. This makes me wonder why they didn't do it more often to right the wrongs. Maybe it's only justified when the planet itself is in danger.

I appreciate that films 2-4 have maintained a strong continuity. So many films pick things up as if the previous film didn't even exist. The crew uses the Klingon ship from part 3 throughout the whole film. Also, the Star Trek films definitely make references to the issues of the time. Anti-nuclear technology and anti-pollution sentiments are still around but I think they were stronger in the 70s and 80s.

Other thoughts:

-We're shown a wide array of odd looking aliens (just like in the first film) but they're all bit parts that don't even get lines. I wish we'd have a non-humanoid on the crew for a change.

-The film ends with Kirk (earlier described as a renegade and terrorist) being demoted to the rank of Captain. I guess this will set the stage for part V.

-McCoy continues his one-sided feud with Spock.

-We finally have decent interaction between two characters (Kirk and Gillian). Something I felt fell flat in the previous films with Kirk and his family.

The Final Countdown - Sending a 1970s US aircraft carrier back to 12/6/41 seems like an interesting premise. I'm definitely a "what if" kind of person and wouldn't mind seeing a lot more of this style (large-scale Quantum Leap types). Despite the trip back not being that consequential I liked it. It seems like the carrier was ultimately sent back just to retrieve that dog. It would've been more appealing had they destroyed the whole Japanese fleet at the end rather than aborting the mission. They could've ended with Pacific Rim robots appearing and attacking the USS Nimitz for a final WTF conclusion. Audiences in 1980 probably felt teased that the carrier was sent back to 1980 right when they were going to attack.

We don't really get conclusive answers as to why or how the ship even traveled back.

Sometimes when things slowly unfold in a film it feels like I'm reading a novel.
Maybe we'll get a 9/11 version in thirty years featuring an assassin faced with the dilemma of killing all the hijackers on 9/10/01. Looper: 9/10/01 Edition?

72 years to the day. :911:

Procrastination (88 completed):

#84 Audition - Another seasonal selection. 10/30/13

#89 The Lady Vanishes - I think this has been remade a few times. 11/17/13

#90 Amistad - I remember this getting a lot of press at its release but I haven't heard anything about it recently. 11/23/13

#91 Ninotchka - I've never seen an Ernst Lubitsch film. 11/25/13

new #93 Body Heat - I have this confused with Body Double. 12/7/13

new #94 Body Double - I have this confused with Body Heat. 12/7/13

James Herbert Bond versus James Tiberius Kirk:

Casino Royale (1967) - A slight detour into comedy. 11/30/13

new Star Trek V: The Final Frontier - A Hamlet reference? 12/7/13

Roger Ebert's Top Films 1967-2012 (31/46 completed):

1995 Leaving Las Vegas - Been seen by some here recently. 11/23/13

new 1988 Mississippi Burning - Another one I haven't heard much about. 12/7/13

Zogo fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 7, 2013

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Zogo, go watch the one I've actually seen Amistad.

Grad school applications are eating up a lot of my time/energy, but I managed to find the time to watch a film!

My Darling Clementine: A movie about the buildup to the Shoot-out at the OK Corral, with Henry Fonda as Wyatt Earp. It's really more about the relationship between Earp and Doc Holiday, who was the more interesting character. Overall this one was alright, but not as good as Stagecoach. Some really great shots in the film, though, with a focus more on people rather than the big sweeping landscape shots I'm used to (though there are a couple as establishing shots).

Henry Fonda really made a career out of playing the morally unimpeachable good guy. I should probably revisit Once Upon a Time in the West, which was the first thing I saw him in. It could be a bit different with that context.

My Shame List, in order of length of time on the list:

1) Unbreakable: A few of my friends have called this the best superhero movie ever made. Let's see if they're right!

2) Triumph of the Will: Super influential Nazi propaganda? Seems like I should watch this just to keep an eye out for people using its techniques.

3) Forbidden Planet: A Sci-fi adaptation of Shakespeare? Sounds fun.

4) Man with a Movie Camera: Soviet film! That's really all I know.

5) The Graduate: Know the meme, see the movie!

6) Dog Day Afternoon: I liked Network and 12 Angry Men, so let's see more Lumet.

7) Days of Heaven: Never seen a Malick movie. This was strongly recommended to me since I really liked Upstream Color.

8) Lost Highway: Seeing the party scene out of context is the reason I got into David Lynch (and horror in general) in the first place.

9) The General: Buster Keaton free space. Feel free to substitute with a different one of his movies.

10) Rio Grande: (new) Another Ford/Wayne western for the western slot.

De-Shamed (35) [Top 5 in bold]: The Thing, Casino Royale, Blue Velvet, Metropolis, Unforgiven, The Rock, Jurassic Park, Glengarry Glen Ross, The Shining, Videodrome, Inglourious Basterds, Battleship Potemkin, Con Air, Mulholland Dr., The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Taxi Driver, Prometheus, Pan's Labyrinth, 8 1/2, Casino, Starship Troopers, The Big Lebowski, Nosferatu, Oldboy, 12 Angry Men, Drive, No Country for Old Men, The Exorcist, Ed Wood, Face/Off, Koyaanisqatsi, Kung Fu Hustle, Jacob's Ladder, Stagecoach, My Darling Clementine

Goon Danton fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 8, 2013

Sandwich Bender
Mar 4, 2004

Nolanar: watch Unbreakable. I loved it when it was first came out, but haven't seen it since. I'm curious to know if it holds up. It is from Shyamalan's good days, after all.

I didn't love Oldboy as much as I hoped I would, but I still liked it quite a bit. I guess it's the overall plot that I found underwhelming (thought very creative), but there were a lot of really great ideas here. I guess I just liked the parts more than their sum. That being said, I really feel like this is a movie that's going to grow on me. Even though I finished it less than an hour ago, I like it more now than I did when it first wrapped up, so maybe it just has to sink in. Min-sik Choi is fantastic in the lead role and the hallway fight scene is one of my favorite scenes of all time.

2. The Odd Couple - I've never seen The Odd Couple for the same reason that I hadn't seen Apocalypse Now, Psycho, and countless other classics when I first came to this thread - because I was young and dumb and avoided older movies like the plague. I honestly think I'll get a kick out of it now that my tastes have matured.

7. The Raid: Redemption - This a movie that I was super excited for when it hit theaters, waited in anticipation for it to hit DVD, then never watched it.

De-shamed: Apocalypse Now, Casablanca, Psycho, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Princess Bride, Taxi Driver, Bullitt, Once Upon a Time in the West, Mad Max, Oldboy

Sandwich Bender fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 8, 2013

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Sandwich Bender, I hope you don't mind terribly if I pick your next one too. Go for Blade Runner. I first saw this when I was fairly young and I wasn't really a fan, but later on I gave it another try and watched The Final Cut, and I now greatly enjoy it, so go for The Final Cut.

So, Schindler's List. This was a well made movie. I loved the black in white, and the blu-ray made it look great. It's obviously a powerful and emotional topic, but my one complaint is that Schindler's character (or any character) had basically zero nuance. This is common to most Spielberg movies. Schindler is a a greedy womanizer, then Schindler is a repentant and faithful husband, just another vehicle of the feel good transition. I realize this is basically how it went, but it came off as contrived. I think the story is more important than the characters so this is a minor quibble.
8.5/10

IMDb top 250...of shame!

1) The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - I've seen bits of it through the years, but never the entire movie.

2) 12 Angry Men - I don't know a lot about this movie, though have considered watching it for a while.

4) Seven Samurai - I heard this was a remake of The Magnificent 7, but in black and white. Looks good.

6) Once Upon a Time in the West - Another classic by Sergio Leone that I haven't seen.

9) Psycho - See #9

11) City Lights - I've barely even seen clips of Charlie Chaplin. I'm greatly curious how I'll receive this kind of film.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Tsyni posted:

Let's go from the top!

So I finally watched The Goonies. By finally, I don't really mean the amount of time it took me via this thread. It has more to do with how many of my friends have seen this multiple times since childhood and celebrate it. I was really worried I would hate every second of it and just be plain irritated. But I was, thankfully, not disappointed.

It's so much fun. It is certainly of its time and likely could not come close to being replicated today. Sure, sometimes the kids are shrill but it comes off as so authentic. The conceit of imagining being an adventurer at that age but actually getting a real adventure is well done. Kids save the day...as it should be. It captures a time in a kid's life that not a lot of movies can. It's loud, it's awkward, it's sometimes annoying, but it comes from a good place. It ventures into too goofy at times, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a smile on my face for a good chunk of the duration.

Also, is someone wearing a varsity jacket ever not an rear end in a top hat?

I also watched The King of Marvin Gardens. It was interesting to see Nicholson as the nebbish introvert. Amazing opening monologue sets him up as an unreliable narrator, and what follows is people heaping mounds of bullshit on each other. No one directly tells the truth, and they all suffer for it. There were shots and tonal beats that reminded me of Wes Anderson. The deadpan delivery in some scenes and especially the scene that opens with Nicholson and Bruce Dern on horses. It's not great as it is a bit aimless, but it has many good moments.

LIST O SHAME:

1920s - Pandora's Box (1928) - Know next to nothing about it except a former co-worker was enamored by it.

1930s - L'Atalante (1934) - Rolling through some classics that have been on my periphery.

1940s - Monsieur Verdoux (1947) - Later Chaplin, I've heard mixed things.

1950s - Ashes and Diamonds (1958) - Wajda has been on my radar for a while now. Time to pull the trigger.

1960s - Z (1969) - Political thrillers are my cup of tea and I loved Costa-Gavras' Missing.

1970s - World on a Wire (1973) - Time to see a Fassbinder movie!

1980s - Cobra Verde (1987) - Time to watch more of my Herzog/Kinski box set I bought ages ago.

1990s - Europa (1991) - Lars von Trier is a fascinating filmmaker and I would like to see more of his earlier work. I've caught Anti-Christ, Melancholia and Dogville but his only pre-2000 work I've seen is The Kingdom.

2000 and up - George Washington (2000) - The only film by David Gordon Green I have seen is Pineapple Express. Apparently his early films are nothing like that.

Bonus/Random - Dersu Uzala (1975) - Kurosawa film with a story I've been fascinated by but never watched.

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible, The Virgin Spring, The Red Shoes, Deconstructing Harry, Metropolis, Che, The Island of Lost Souls, Revanche, Black Moon, Stalker, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Badlands, The Long Goodbye, Crimes and Misdemeanors, The Apartment, All About My Mother, Tokyo Story, Chungking Express, This is Spinal Tap, On the Waterfront, Grave of the Fireflies, Rebecca, The Sweet Hereafter, Peeping Tom, Drunken Angel, Duck Soup, Key Largo, Witness for the Prosecution, The Lady From Shanghai, Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages, Safety Last!, King Kong, Anatomy of a Murder, In a Lonely Place, Safe, Bad Day at Black Rock, The General, The Magnificent Ambersons, Five Easy Pieces, Porco Rosso, Mystery Train, Rififi, The King of Comedy, The Straight Story, The Kid, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Carlos, Onibaba, It Happened One Night, Sherlock Jr., Lone Star, Foreign Correspondent, The Last Detail, Young Mr. Lincoln, Rope, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, The Man Who Laughs, Husbands and Wives, Reds, Sweet Smell of Success, Shadow of a Doubt, The Purple Rose of Cairo, The African Queen, The Lower Depths, Frankenstein, Broadcast News, La Strada, The Last Laugh, Stagecoach, Alexander Nevsky, Don't Look Now, Fish Tank, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Days of Heaven, The Killer, Nosferatu, The Naked Kiss, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Jules et Jim, Mon Oncle, Howl's Moving Castle, Y Tu Mama Tambien, A Night at the Opera, Berberian Sound Studio, The Natural, Kwaidan, The Color of Money, Fanny and Alexander, Repo Man, The Breakfast Club, The Passenger, The King of Marvin Gardens, The Goonies (TOTAL: 149)

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I've always wondered how The Goonies must seem to someone who watched it first when they were older. I love the movie but I was never quite sure if my feelings for it were just fueled more by nostalgia than anything else. If you liked the Goonies you should also check out The Monster Squad. The story doesn't flow quite as well, but the group of friends has a similar dynamic to the goonies. Also, it's the last good movie made that features more than one Universal monster.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
The funny thing is I watched The Monster Squad a bunch of times when I was a kid. A friend of mine adores it (WOLFMAN'S GOT NARDS!). I find when I watch a John Hughes movie for the first time as an adult (Breakfast Club) it doesn't have the same effect it had on friends of mine who watched it in high school...I was worried the same would be true of Goonies. But I had a blast with it. Made me want to go adventuring and tearing off Joe Pantoliano's hairpiece.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

RatedArgh, I wish you hadn't already watched The Goonies, mainly because I haven't even heard of most of your selections. Z sounds pretty interesting though, so let's go with that.
The Crow was okay. It was a good revenge tale, and the titular character was much different than i expected. I thought the Crow was more of a silent, distant character, so I was surprised at how often he talked and how animated he was. I blame WCW wrestler Sting for my misconception.

The setting was really odd in this. I liked the gothic look, but it just seemed empty? It didn't look like a living city. It seemed like a lot of the times the only people in the universe were the characters in the movie. It's just weird seeing empty streets with no cars or people in the background.

There's a shot towards the end of the Crow that is shot differently than the rest of the movie. There's some somber music playing, and it's a close-up of the Crow in slow motion. I imagine this was a tribute to Brandon Lee, and may have been some of the last footage shot of him.

The most interesting thing about this film was how it captures a really particular moment in time when grunge was on it's way out and goth/industrial was on it's way in. It's a weird aesthetic where some characters look like they belong in the Seattle grunge scene, and others would fit in more at a Nine Inch Nails concert. This does have the unfortunate side effect of making the film seem dated though.

1. Lolita: I've seen almost all of Kubrick's offerings, but I have not yet seen this teen sex romp.

2. Ocean's Eleven (1960): I've seen the remake a bunch of times - let's see how the original one is.

3. I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang: I don't know much about this one aside from the fact that the protagonist is a fugitive. From a chain gang.

4. Blow-Up: This is supposed to be one of the game-changing movies that helped influence the New Hollywood era. It's probably time I watch it

5. Pan's Labyrinth: I haven't been a fan of the GDT movies that I've seen. Will this make me change my mind on the director?

6. The Great Escape: What's so great about it?

7. Dirty Harry: From what I understand of this movie I'll hate the politics behind it. Still, it may be entertaining and worth watching

8. Mean Streets: This one always seems to be overlooked when people talk about Scorcese

9. Blacula: If Dickeye posted in this thread he'd make me watch this right now. CPL593H might too.

10. M*A*S*H*: Double secret shame: I don't think I've even watched an episode of the show

Un-shamed in 2013: The Grapes of Wrath, Yojimbo, The Sixth Sense, Forbidden Planet, Cool Hand Luke, Easy Rider, It Happened one Night, Donnie Brasco, Fargo, Enter the Dragon, The Big Sleep, Adam's Rib, Animal House, Quiz Show, The Man with the Golden Arm, Strangers on a Train, Singin' in the Rain, The Philadelphia Story, The Time Machine, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, The Seven Year Itch, The Deer Hunter, City Lights, The Prestige, Five Easy Pieces, Some Like it Hot, Snatch, True Lies, The Seventh Seal, Amelie, The Magnificent Ambersons, Escape from New York, Witness for the Prosecution, Life is Beautiful, Brazil, Clash of the Titans, Gone With the Wind, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Bicycle Thief, Once Upon a Time in America, Con Air, Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan, Cinema Paradiso, Life of Pi, The Abyss, The 400 Blows, Good Will Hunting, The Fugitive, Oldboy, Gaslight, The Crow

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Watch I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang.

The Lost Weekend: not Wilder's best but still good. It's impossible not to complain about the dude curing his alcoholism at the end by... deciding to cure it or whatever, particularly given Wilder's refusal in other movies to shy away from unhappy endings. Aside from that, though, Ray Milland's acting is great, the tension in some of the scenes is stupendous, and I thought the music was pretty great, which is a nice change of pace because usually I find those sorts of scores overbearing or forgettable. This score seemed really good about keeping a discordant note in the picture when necessary without getting obvious or schlocky about it, which is where most soundtracks fall down. This complemented the movie itself quite well, because the movie does a great job of ping ponging from the lows of desperation and sorrow, and the middles of drudgery and sadness, to the wacky highs of tension, horror, and every once in a while some macabre humor (but just a little bit).

1) The Big Sleep (1946) - A noir classic I have yet to view.

2) Union Station (1950) - It has William Holden, right? So I should probably also check it out.

3) Electra (1962) - I saw Kakogiannis' Iphigenia and loved it, so more Greek tragedy is just what the doctor ordered.

4) Zulu (1964) - Is this movie hella racist?

5) 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - I actually saw this when I was a pre-teen, and although I enjoyed it, my impression was that it was way too slow and more boring than it had to be, so in general it just went way over my head. It is, therefore, definitely time to revisit this and watch it with eyes equipped to see whatever's there.

6) Female Trouble (1974) - I have a John Waters sized hole in my "films watched" history.

7) Time of the Gypsies (1988) - What is the time of the Gypsies? Is it the 80s?

8) Hard Eight (1996) - This thread gave me There Will Be Blood, which I enjoyed, so I think I'll be going through Paul Thomas Anderson chronologically, because I haven't see any of his other movies.

9) In the Mood for Love (2000) - I've been working my way through Wong Kar-wai. This one is next.

10) Zero Dark Thirty (2012) - In honor of thegloaming's post right above the post where I'm first adding this to my list, here is a movie released recently. People always pick the really new movies on my list so I'm tempting fate by seeing how long this will last. I like Kathryn Bigelow's other stuff.

Deshamed: In a Lonely Place (98), The Seventh Seal (97), Full Metal Jacket (96), Last Year at Marienbad (95), Seven Samurai (95), Heathers (94), Stalker (93), Lawrence of Arabia (93), There Will Be Blood (93), Tokyo Story (93), The Brothers Bloom (92), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (92), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (92), Sweet Smell of Success (91), 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days (91), Nostalghia (91), Play Time (91), Schindler's List (91), The Long Goodbye (91), Blue Velvet (90), Out of the Past (90), Once Upon a Time in the West (90), Ordinary People (90), 8 1/2 (89), Diabolique (89), City of God (89), Badlands (89), Das Boot (88), Almost Famous (88), Videodrome (88), The Exterminating Angel (87), 99 River Street (87), His Girl Friday (87), Cool Hand Luke (87), Goodfellas (87), M (86), Throne of Blood (86), High Fidelity (86), A History of Violence (86), The Maltese Falcon (85), Waltz with Bashir (85), Rififi (84), Midnight Cowboy (84), Crimes and Misdemeanors (84), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (84), Touch of Evil (83), The Social Network (83), The Last King of Scotland (82), Amores Perros (82), The Lost Weekend (82), Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (82), City Lights (82), Slacker (82), Vertigo (81), North by Northwest (81), Breakfast at Tiffany's (81), Unforgiven (81), The Man Who Fell to Earth (79), Body Heat (79), Raising Arizona (77), The Lady Vanishes (72), Boyz n the Hood (76), The 400 Blows (72), The Man Who Knew Too Much (60)

Lillelord
Oct 3, 2009
I've been lurking this forum for an eternity now, mainly to follow this thread, so I figure it's time to join in on the fun.

TychoCelchuuu, you should watch Hard Eight. Not the best movie on your list, but it gets you closer to Magnolia which is one of my all time favorite movies.

My list:

1. Onibaba: Watched Kuroneku a while ago expecting a pulpy horror movie, got pleasently surprised by the somber tone and melancholic feel. I've heard this is sort of a companion piece, but not much else.

2. The Life and Times of Colonel Blimp: I love Peeping Tom and enjoyed the aesthetic of The Red Shoes. Only Reason I haven't watched this is the lenght of three hours (a bad excuse considering some of my favorite movies goes on for that long or even longer, like The Seven Samurais and Lawrence of Arabia).

3. Breaking the Waves: Seen everything trier has done since Dancer in the Dark. Even though I don't always enjoy his movies, I at least find them interesting. Don't know anything about this one.

4. Throne of Blood: Kurosawa has never disappointed me, yet I can go a long time without seeing a new Kurosawa-movie. I should fix that.

5. Mean Streets: I like Scorsese best when he does something outside of the gangster genre- my favorite being The Last Temptation of Christ - but I've got the feeling I will enjoy this one quite a lot.

6. Killer's Kiss: Seen everything Kubrick has done except this one and Spartacus. Heard mixed things but hey, it's Kubrick. Ought to be at least interesting.

7. House of Games: Recently watched Glengarry Glen Ross and loved it. Don't think I've seen any other Mamet-movies. Ebert has this one on his greatest movies list, so it should be good.

8. The Searchers: I've seen few western movies actually made by Americans. Also it's kind of embarrassing that I have only watched one John Wayne-movie (Stagecoach).

9. High Sierra: I have quite the hang-up on Humphrey Bogart at the time, and this is his first leading role, if I'm not mistaken.

10. Birth of a Nation: I've heard this movie lays down the foundation for a lot of the movie techniques and narrative conventions used in film today. The thought of a silent movie going on for three hours somewhat scares me, though.

Lillelord fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Dec 11, 2013

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Lillelord, start it off with Mean Streets

Around the World in 80 Days wasn't necessarily a bad movie, it just felt extremely dated and overlong. I felt like a good half hour could have been trimmed out of it. Plus, every country visited was a total stereotype of that culture. I still was entertained by some of it and it felt like the Disney live action movies of that time.

1) Le Deuxieme Souffle- love that Melville
2) Carlos- everyone I know who has seen this raves about it
3) It's A Mad Mad Mad World- that's a lot of mads and I hear this has been referenced a lot
4) Bringing Up Baby- I like early screwball comedies
5) Gun Crazy- mmmm 1950s noir
6) Thief- another 80's thriller and the only Michael Mann I haven't seen
7) Stalag 17- I love all the Wilder I've seen so far
8) The Wolf Man- more Universal monsters
9) Swing Time- last musical on the AFI top 100 I haven't seen
10) Our Hospitality- oh that Buster Keaton

New List of Unshamed: The Invisible Man; Paris, Texas; Dr Strangelove, Ran, Stripes, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Throne of Blood, Touch of Evil, Blow Out, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Sound of Music, The Apartment, The Rules of the Game, The Last Picture Show, Bicycle Thieves, Manhattan, The Conversation, All That Jazz, Two Lane Blacktop, The Deer Hunter, Island of Lost Souls, Tokyo Story, Nashville, A Woman Under the Influence, The Earrings of Madame de..., Rope, The Phantom Carriage, The Magnificent Seven, Go West, Cabaret, Five Easy Pieces, To Live and Die in L.A., A Fistful of Dollars, The Nightmare Before Christmas, For A Few Dollars More, Sanjuro, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Great Dictator, Around The World In 80 Days

Lillelord
Oct 3, 2009
Keaton is always great, so watch Our Hospitality.

Got around to seeing Mean Streets earlier today. I enjoyed parts of it, but I have some of the same issues with this as I have with all of the Scorcese crime movies I've seen, there's no one I can symphatize with or get involved in. At the same time I can appreciate the craftsmanship and it was fun seeing all the little things that later became well-known tropes in the genre. De Niro and Keitel had great chemistry, which helped a lot. There should be more scenes of them just hanging around talking bullshit.

1. Onibaba: Watched Kuroneku a while ago expecting a pulpy horror movie, got pleasently surprised by the somber tone and melancholic feel. I've heard this is sort of a companion piece, but not much else.

2. The Life and Times of Colonel Blimp: I love Peeping Tom and enjoyed the aesthetic of The Red Shoes. Only Reason I haven't watched this is the lenght of three hours (a bad excuse considering some of my favorite movies goes on for that long or even longer, like The Seven Samurais and Lawrence of Arabia).

3. Breaking the Waves: Seen everything trier has done since Dancer in the Dark. Even though I don't always enjoy his movies, I at least find them interesting. Don't know anything about this one.

4. Throne of Blood: Kurosawa has never disappointed me, yet I can go a long time without seeing a new Kurosawa-movie. I should fix that.

5. The Sound of Music: I don't think I have ever had a good time watching a musical, but then again I haven't seen any of the classics. Will this movie change my opinion about the genre, or bore me to tears?

6. Killer's Kiss: Seen everything Kubrick has done except this one and Spartacus. Heard mixed things but hey, it's Kubrick. Ought to be at least interesting.

7. House of Games: Recently watched Glengarry Glen Ross and loved it. Don't think I've seen any other Mamet-movies. Ebert has this one on his greatest movies list, so it should be good.

8. The Searchers: I've seen few western movies actually made by Americans. Also it's kind of embarrassing that I have only watched one John Wayne-movie (Stagecoach).

9. High Sierra: I have quite the hang-up on Humphrey Bogart at the time, and this is his first leading role, if I'm not mistaken.

10. Birth of a Nation: I've heard this movie lays down the foundation for a lot of the movie techniques and narrative conventions used in film today. The thought of a silent movie going on for three hours somewhat scares me, though.

De-shamed: 1.Mean Streets

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Watch The Searchers.

Hard Eight was good. I could watch those actors do anything and casinos are just such bizarre places that any time I can spend in one without having to, you know, actually be in a casino is nice. There was one shot where Philip Baker Hall was standing outside a motel door and asking John Reilly to let him in and it was out of focus so that Hall was blurry the entire time, but before that there was a long shot of him walking up the stairs towards the door where all we saw was his back, him in his black suit, and he was the only thing in focus so the motel exterior sort of faded into the background. That scene he spent out of focus, transitioning from outside to inside the hotel, was also when the plot transitioned from one act to another. I thought it was interesting how that moment of unclarity in the framing of the shot mirrored our unclarity about what was going on, and then later Reilly's unclarity with respect to what was going on.

2) Union Station (1950) - It has William Holden, right? So I should probably also check it out.

3) Witness for the Prosecution (1957) - Another Wilder film.

4) Electra (1962) - I saw Kakogiannis' Iphigenia and loved it, so more Greek tragedy is just what the doctor ordered.

5) Zulu (1964) - Is this movie hella racist?

6) 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - I actually saw this when I was a pre-teen, and although I enjoyed it, my impression was that it was way too slow and more boring than it had to be, so in general it just went way over my head. It is, therefore, definitely time to revisit this and watch it with eyes equipped to see whatever's there.

7) Female Trouble (1974) - I have a John Waters sized hole in my "films watched" history.

8) Time of the Gypsies (1988) - What is the time of the Gypsies? Is it the 80s?

9) In the Mood for Love (2000) - I've been working my way through Wong Kar-wai. This one is next.

10) Zero Dark Thirty (2012) - In honor of thegloaming's post right above the post where I'm first adding this to my list, here is a movie released recently. People always pick the really new movies on my list so I'm tempting fate by seeing how long this will last. I like Kathryn Bigelow's other stuff.

Deshamed: In a Lonely Place (98), The Seventh Seal (97), Full Metal Jacket (96), Last Year at Marienbad (95), Seven Samurai (95), Heathers (94), Stalker (93), Lawrence of Arabia (93), There Will Be Blood (93), Tokyo Story (93), The Brothers Bloom (92), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (92), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (92), Sweet Smell of Success (91), 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days (91), Nostalghia (91), Play Time (91), Schindler's List (91), The Long Goodbye (91), Blue Velvet (90), Out of the Past (90), Once Upon a Time in the West (90), Ordinary People (90), 8 1/2 (89), Diabolique (89), City of God (89), Badlands (89), Das Boot (88), Almost Famous (88), Videodrome (88), The Exterminating Angel (87), 99 River Street (87), His Girl Friday (87), Cool Hand Luke (87), Goodfellas (87), M (86), Throne of Blood (86), High Fidelity (86), A History of Violence (86), The Maltese Falcon (85), Waltz with Bashir (85), Rififi (84), Midnight Cowboy (84), Crimes and Misdemeanors (84), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (84), Touch of Evil (83), The Social Network (83), The Last King of Scotland (82), Amores Perros (82), The Lost Weekend (82), Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (82), City Lights (82), Slacker (82), Vertigo (81), North by Northwest (81), Hard Eight (81), Breakfast at Tiffany's (81), Unforgiven (81), The Man Who Fell to Earth (79), Body Heat (79), Raising Arizona (77), The Lady Vanishes (72), Boyz n the Hood (76), The 400 Blows (72), The Man Who Knew Too Much (60)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I liked it a lot.

Sandwich Bender posted:

I loving love this thread.

This thread is like an inescapable vortex.

Amistad - The story of a slave ship headed to Cuba whose slaves revolted and landed in the US. I think there were three distinct segments. The first dealt with the disastrous culture clash between all parties involved (English, Spanish, Mende). A ton of Mende is spoken without any subtitles so this drives the point home. It's not until halfway through that we get clear translation.

The second section shows slave life on the ship and it's expectedly graphic for the most part. The final portion deals with US civil war rumblings. Throughout the whole film there are courtroom scenes showing the slaves on trial. It's a big mess as 4-5 groups of people all argue that the slaves belong to them (for various reasons). Twice the slaves are granted freedom only to have a higher power step in to have a redo. Finally it goes to the SCOTUS and ends with them being freed.

Like most popular historical films there's revisionism, artistic license and a tendency to shoehorn in glossy sentiments of the viewership. At least we had Martin Van Buren and John Quincy Adams rather than Lincoln again. It was pretty funny in the epilogue they had an upbeat line about William Henry Harrison defeating Van Buren even though he died a month later. That is one factoid that captures the historical weakness of this film.

Also watched:

Leaving Las Vegas - "We get a lot of screwups here."

This was a difficult one to watch (especially after the first hour) and hit too hard to be enjoyable. I can't recall seeing a character drink so much alcohol in a film before. Charlize Theron's character in Monster pales in comparison to the full-blown alcoholic glory of Ben (Nicolas Cage). Ben is a completely unhinged alcoholic (lost job and family) who seems to actually drink ~20 liters of booze during the two hours.

Elisabeth Shue plays a prostitute and has a passing resemblance to Jessica Simpson. I'm not on expert on prostitutes or alcoholics but the relationship seemed unbelievable. Was this grounded in any reality?

The look and feel of the film felt like the last gasp of the 1980s rather than 1995. I suppose the story was inspired in the 1980s so it fits. Maybe it's also the Super 16mm film? Whether it captures the 80s or 90s better it's The Lost Weekend on steroids.

Ebert really likes these bleak ones featuring interpersonal discord and self-destruction. Going down his #1 list there's a litany of bleak character studies featuring people afflicted and tortured by many things. After Synecdoche, New York, Monster, Monster's Ball and Leaving Las Vegas I'm drained.

Procrastination (89 completed):

#91 Ninotchka - I've never seen an Ernst Lubitsch film. 11/25/13

#93 Body Heat - I have this confused with Body Double. 12/7/13

#94 Body Double - I have this confused with Body Heat. 12/7/13

new #95 Slacker - Been meaning to see this for a long time. 12/12/13

new #96 Once Bitten - I'm sick of watching dreary Ebert #1 films 12/12/13

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier - A Hamlet reference? 12/7/13

Roger Ebert's Top Films 1967-2012 (32/46 completed):

1988 Mississippi Burning - Another one I haven't heard much about. 12/7/13

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Zogo, I haven't seen any of the films on your list, so I guess I'll just pick at random. You get Ninotchka.

I watched 8 1/2 a week or two back and to be honest I'm not sure how I feel about it. As a look into the creative process it was really clever at times, especially when Guido sees something and it triggers an image he wants to use in his film, but I feel like the movie really gives a pass on being a total rear end in a top hat. I'm not even sure if that should really actually matter, but it's kind of hard to ignore; there are a few scenes late in the film that seem to pay lip service to the fact that Guido is a self-involved misogynist, but the ending just seems to brush that away.

Man, maybe I'm just not into Italian film or something :sigh:

I also watched Broken Blossoms a while ago. Lillian Gish is amazing; her little forced smile is just heartbreaking. It's unsurprisingly extremely heavy handed, though it is really weird to have a blatantly anti-racism film have one of its leads solely known as "The Yellow Man".

List of Shame:

1. Battleship Potemkin - I should probably see the entire thing instead of just that one part.

2. Sherlock, Jr. - Buster Keaton :3:

3. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - I was supposed to watch this for a class, but I was already behind in watching things for that class and kind of never got around to it.

4. The Parallax View - I like 70s movies and conspiracies; how could I go wrong?

5. Side Effects - I need to catch up on this year's releases as much as I can, and though I'm kind of wary of the subject matter, everyone seems to be in love with Soderbergh, so maybe I'll fall for it too.

6. Upstream Color - I missed this in theaters! I'm kind of afraid I won't "get" it, but I've heard so many good things about it that I really shouldn't care.

7. Valhalla Rising - Another one I missed in theaters, and I've wanted to watch more Refn.

8. The Brother From Another Planet - I remember a professor mentioning this in college and I really like the premise.

9. In The Mood For Love - I haven't seen much Chinese cinema and apparently it's the highest listed 21st century film on the TSPDT list

10. Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry - I've heard really good things about this and I should probably actually watch documentaries.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Vertigo Ambrosia, you get Upstream Color. I think this is much easier to "get" than Carruth's Primer, but I think it's also much more open to interpretation.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. An obvious classic with an iconic score. I loved the tension. It flew by for a three hour movie.
9/10

IMDb top 250...of shame!

9) Psycho - See #8

11) City Lights - I've barely even seen clips of Charlie Chaplin. I'm greatly curious how I'll receive this kind of film.

12) Saving Private Ryan - I have an irrational aversion to Spielberg sometimes.

Lillelord
Oct 3, 2009
See Seven Samurai, the best samurai film Kurosawa has made in my opinion (I don't count Rashomon here, even though it technically deals with a samurai).

My Christmas vacation started early, so I'm going through at least one movie per day. Finally got to see The Searchers earlier today, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I was worried it was gonna be like most of the other early westerns I've seen with horribly racist characters that never gets questioned by the movie, but instead I got a movie with a horribly racist main character (Wayne), a character so full of hate that he can't form meaningful relations with other people. One thing I liked was how he never really made a connection with his travelling companion, even though they were hunting the Comanches for five years. Was I right in reading this movie as a portrayal of how bitter and lonely you'll end up if you follow the example of the former western heroes? All in all a pleasant experience that made me appreciate Wayne a lot more.

5. The Sound of Music: I don't think I have ever had a good time watching a musical, but then again I haven't seen any of the classics. Will this movie change my opinion about the genre, or bore me to tears?

8. La Dolce Vita: La Strada is one of the greatest Italian movies I have seen, and I found 8½ interesting even though I must admit to not seeing how it's considered one of the greatest movies of all times. Maybe this will change if I see some more Fellini so I can get more of a feel for his style?

De-shamed: 1.Mean Streets 2.The Searchers

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Tsyni posted:

Other way around. The Magnificent Seven is a remake of Seven Samurai. Also, Seven Samurai makes Magnificent Seven look like chump change.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

TrixRabbi posted:

Other way around. The Magnificent Seven is a remake of Seven Samurai. Also, Seven Samurai makes Magnificent Seven look like chump change.

I was actually making a wry joke :( I believe it.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Lillelord, I'll have you watch The Sound of Music. I can't promise you'll like it, but the fact that you probably already know most of the songs through cultural exposure might help.

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang was a great noir parody. It's a prime example of the best kind of parody: one that mocks genre tropes while simultaneously acting as an example of the genre. Downey is always great, and I love the way he breaks in with narration to mock the story he's telling (very Princess Bride, now that I think of it). I can't think of much else to say, but I'd highly recommend this.

Rating: 4/4

84. Lost Weekend- Ben Franklin from 1776 gets really drunk. Sure, why not?

90. Wall Street- Greed is good, I guess? I like Michael Douglas, and I don't know who else is in this movie.

93. Patton- On second thought, if I'm going to put a George C. Scott movie on here, it should really be this.

94. The Ten Commandments- Another (pseudo) historical epic.

95. Rain Man- Tom Cruise is an rear end in a top hat who exploits gullible people for money. Also, he was in this movie. :rimshot:

96. The Bourne Supremacy- Love the first one, eager to find out more.

97. Ed Wood- People go on and on about this. I've never seen an Ed Wood movie, but I don't think it matters.

98. Ratatouille- Pixar! I saw some of this a couple months back, and I was enjoying it, but didn't get to finish.

99. City of God- It's like a Brazilian Goodfellas? Okay, you have my attention.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4, Schindler's List: 4/4, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: 3/4, Young Frankenstein: 3.5/4, Yojimbo: 3.5/4, Brazil: 3.5/4, Hamlet: 4/4, The Aviator: 4/4, Rocky: 3.5/4, Gandhi: 3.5/4, City Lights: 4/4, Battleship Potemkin: 3.5/4, Predator: 3/4, Easy Rider: 1.5/4, Platoon: 3.5/4, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: 4/4, Get Carter: 3.5/4, Full Metal Jacket: 4/4, My Dinner with Andre: 4/4, Lethal Weapon: 3/4, 3 Women: 4/4, Ikiru: 4/4, The Maltese Falcon: 2.5/4, Midnight Cowboy: 3/4, Gattaca: 4/4, Gone with the Wind: 3/4, Jaws: 4/4, The Bicycle Thief: 3/4, Sophie's Choice: 2/4, On the Waterfront: 4/4, North by Northwest: 3.5/4, Stagecoach: 3.5/4, E.T.: 2/4, Nosferatu: 4/4, Lawrence of Arabia: 4/4, Dirty Harry: 1/4, Vertigo: 3.5/4, Rebecca: 4/4, The Pink Panther: 3/4, Children of Men: 4/4, Wings of Desire: 3/4, Metropolis: 3.5/4, Born on the Fourth of July: 4/4, The Bridge on the River Kwai: 3.5/4, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: 4/4, Being John Malkovich: 3/4, Adaptation: 4/4, Bonnie and Clyde: 4/4, Goldfinger: 3/4, A Streetcar Named Desire: 4/4, Dog Day Afternoon: 3.5/4, Leon: The Professional: 4/4, 8 1/2: 3/4, Mulholland Drive: 4/4, 12 Angry Men: 4/4, Safety Last: 3.5/4, Dogville: 4/4, The Rapture: 2/4, Blue Velvet: 3/4, Irreversible: 4/4, Airplane!: 3.5/4, Tokyo Story: 2.5/4, Big Trouble in Little China: 3.5/4, American Psycho: 3.5/4, Dr. Zhivago: 3/4, Leaving Las Vegas:4/4, The Bourne Identity: 4/4, Out of Africa: 3/4, The Usual Suspects: 3/4, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang: 4/4

Bastard Man
Nov 15, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Jurgan posted:

Lillelord, I'll have you watch The Sound of Music. I can't promise you'll like it, but the fact that you probably already know most of the songs through cultural exposure might help.

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang was a great noir parody. It's a prime example of the best kind of parody: one that mocks genre tropes while simultaneously acting as an example of the genre. Downey is always great, and I love the way he breaks in with narration to mock the story he's telling (very Princess Bride, now that I think of it). I can't think of much else to say, but I'd highly recommend this.

Rating: 4/4

84. Lost Weekend- Ben Franklin from 1776 gets really drunk. Sure, why not?

90. Wall Street- Greed is good, I guess? I like Michael Douglas, and I don't know who else is in this movie.

93. Patton- On second thought, if I'm going to put a George C. Scott movie on here, it should really be this.

94. The Ten Commandments- Another (pseudo) historical epic.

95. Rain Man- Tom Cruise is an rear end in a top hat who exploits gullible people for money. Also, he was in this movie. :rimshot:

96. The Bourne Supremacy- Love the first one, eager to find out more.

97. Ed Wood- People go on and on about this. I've never seen an Ed Wood movie, but I don't think it matters.

98. Ratatouille- Pixar! I saw some of this a couple months back, and I was enjoying it, but didn't get to finish.

99. City of God- It's like a Brazilian Goodfellas? Okay, you have my attention.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4, Schindler's List: 4/4, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: 3/4, Young Frankenstein: 3.5/4, Yojimbo: 3.5/4, Brazil: 3.5/4, Hamlet: 4/4, The Aviator: 4/4, Rocky: 3.5/4, Gandhi: 3.5/4, City Lights: 4/4, Battleship Potemkin: 3.5/4, Predator: 3/4, Easy Rider: 1.5/4, Platoon: 3.5/4, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: 4/4, Get Carter: 3.5/4, Full Metal Jacket: 4/4, My Dinner with Andre: 4/4, Lethal Weapon: 3/4, 3 Women: 4/4, Ikiru: 4/4, The Maltese Falcon: 2.5/4, Midnight Cowboy: 3/4, Gattaca: 4/4, Gone with the Wind: 3/4, Jaws: 4/4, The Bicycle Thief: 3/4, Sophie's Choice: 2/4, On the Waterfront: 4/4, North by Northwest: 3.5/4, Stagecoach: 3.5/4, E.T.: 2/4, Nosferatu: 4/4, Lawrence of Arabia: 4/4, Dirty Harry: 1/4, Vertigo: 3.5/4, Rebecca: 4/4, The Pink Panther: 3/4, Children of Men: 4/4, Wings of Desire: 3/4, Metropolis: 3.5/4, Born on the Fourth of July: 4/4, The Bridge on the River Kwai: 3.5/4, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: 4/4, Being John Malkovich: 3/4, Adaptation: 4/4, Bonnie and Clyde: 4/4, Goldfinger: 3/4, A Streetcar Named Desire: 4/4, Dog Day Afternoon: 3.5/4, Leon: The Professional: 4/4, 8 1/2: 3/4, Mulholland Drive: 4/4, 12 Angry Men: 4/4, Safety Last: 3.5/4, Dogville: 4/4, The Rapture: 2/4, Blue Velvet: 3/4, Irreversible: 4/4, Airplane!: 3.5/4, Tokyo Story: 2.5/4, Big Trouble in Little China: 3.5/4, American Psycho: 3.5/4, Dr. Zhivago: 3/4, Leaving Las Vegas:4/4, The Bourne Identity: 4/4, Out of Africa: 3/4, The Usual Suspects: 3/4, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang: 4/4

First time doing this, looks like fun.

Rain Man. I watched a little bit of it and it seemed pretty good. Only other movie in your list I've seen is The Bourne Supremacy and I didn't like it as much as the first one.

My List

1) Indiana Jones: Haven’t seen any of these, I’d watch the first one if chosen obviously.

2) The Good the Bad the Ugly: Started it once but didn’t get very far.

3) Any James Bond movie: Also haven’t seen any of these, reccomend whichever one you prefer

4) Saving Private Ryan: Never really got around to watch it, I’ve been meaning to for a while.

5) Forrest Gump: I tried watching it once and found it kind of boring, I feel I should give it another go so people stop hating me

6) Snatch: Once again meant to watch it just never bothered

7) 2001: a Space Odyssey: Started it once but said gently caress it and went to bed very early on and never finished it.

8) A Clorkwork Orange: Seen bits of it but feel I should watch the whole movie.

9) Citizen Kane
: I hear it mentioned a lot but don’t really know anything about it.

10) Seven Samurai: Once again, hear it mentioned a lot but don’t know too much.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bacon Drew posted:

1) Indiana Jones: Haven’t seen any of these, I’d watch the first one if chosen obviously.

Start with Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Ninotchka - The story initially focuses on a conflict over confiscated jewels. Ninotchka (Greta Garbo) a Soviet envoy goes to Paris to try and resolve this issue. At first Ninotchka comes across as a Soviet android. Her communistic ideals stick out like a sore thumb in Paris. If you've ever seen the TV series Small Wonder she resembles Vicki. Compare:
http://youtu.be/L7aOgh7KgRI?t=53s
http://youtu.be/_ZPIuIMjS84?t=4m57s

A romance develops between her and her adversary. Soviets are primarily portrayed as kind of dumb. Overall things transpired as I thought they would right until the end.

Also watched:

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier - Like part IV this had more good humor and I wonder why this was mostly panned. Sybok (Spock's half-brother) seems like the most interesting nemesis yet. It's hard to call him an outright villain as he drives the plot and doesn't seem that violent. Initially he comes across as a religious cult leader but later seems to just want the ultimate knowledge.

The Klingons appear more villainous (as usual). Besides humorously blowing up the Voyager spacecraft I'm getting kind of tired of them. As with some of the other film endings I was left confused as to what exactly happened between Sybok and that apparition.

I found some of the action to be subpar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L3D0BL9ieA

My favorite moment was when Kirk argued with the deity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3u4j0hVy8c

PS The new Enterprise-A appears to be a junky ship.

Procrastination (90 completed):

#94 Body Double - I have this confused with Body Heat. 12/7/13

#95 Slacker - Been meaning to see this for a long time. 12/12/13

#96 Once Bitten - I'm sick of watching dreary Ebert #1 films 12/12/13

new #97 Gun Crazy - Looks exciting. 12/15/13

new #98 The Host (2006) - It's gotten some acclaim. 12/15/13

Roger Ebert's Top Films 1967-2012 (32/46 completed):

1988 Mississippi Burning - Another one I haven't heard much about. 12/7/13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Zogo posted:

Hopefully this is step 1 in stopping this confusion. One of my favourite neo noirs - hope you like it.

Quiz Show
I can't really put my finger on it. There was nothing really wrong with Quiz Show, but nothing ever really grabbed my attention. Perhaps it was too bland? Or predictable? Some of the plot developments didn't make a whole lot of sense and some moments felt way too eager to hit you over the head with it's symbolism. None of the performances were bad though - Mira Sorvino had a particularly good moment or two, and John Turturro is always great. Strange seeing Ethan Hawke in an extras role.

LIST

Holiday **new** (2013.12.15) - the title made this choice appropriate to add now.

Ikiru (2013.12.03) - more Kurosawa!

The Player (2013.12.04) - this just seems right up my alley.

De-shamed: Aliens (4.5/5), The Bridge on the River Kwai (5/5), La Dolce Vita (4/5), The Hustler (5/5), Blue Velvet (4.5/5), Close-Up (4.5/5), The Lady Vanishes (4.5/5), Grave of the Fireflies (5/5), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (3.5/5), Oldboy (4.5/5), Gattaca (3.5/5), Children of Men (5/5), The Great Dictator (4.5/5), Diabolique (4.5/5), Aguirre, the Wrath of God (3.5/5), Rashomon (4.5/5), Singin' in the Rain (5/5), Le Samourai (5/5), Hiroshima, Mon Amour (5/5), Battleship Potemkin (4/5), Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (3.5/5), Network (5/5), Once Upon A Time In The West (5/5), Sleeper (2.5/5), Y Tu Mama Tambien (4.5/5), Lawrence of Arabia (3.5/5), Amadeus (4/5), E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (4.5/5), The Postman Always Rings Twice (3.5/5), Ben-Hur (4.5/5), Bug (4/5), All The President's Men (4.5/5), Through a Glass Darkly (4/5), The Leopard (2/5), The Aviator (4.5/5), Duck Soup (4/5), The Good The Bad & The Ugly (5/5), Werckmeister Harmonies (4/5), Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (4.5/5), To Kill A Mockingbird (2.5/5), Brazil (2.5/5), M (5/5), The Sweet Hereafter (4/5), Princess Mononoke (5/5), High and Low (5/5), The Sting (5/5), The King of Comedy (4.5/5), Stand By Me (4.5/5), The Wages of Fear (4/5), Amores Perros (3.5/5), The Music Room (4/5), The Spirit of the Beehive (4/5), Cape Fear (3.5/5), The Passion of Joan of Arc (4/5), The Magnificent Ambersons (3/5), Tokyo Story (5/5), Quiz Show (3/5), [Total:57]